I've heard some people say that the only stat that effects buff beams is tower dmg so the only two stats that matter are tower dmg and tower hp. although others say that rate effects rate etc.. anyone tell me which it is?

all stats affect the buff beam, dmg just scales the best. if you look at a buff beam and press e, you can see that it boosts dmg, rate, resistance and range.

As for what i've seen they all effect the relevant buff beam stat, some more than others.

e.g every point you put into damage u can see an increase despite staying at (for eg) 2.29

Tower EV stats in order of importance
Damage>Health>Rate>Range

Health can really help your towers survive longer as it increases their resistances to damage. Especially your minions.
Attack rate doesn't scale so well, so you'll see little difference when putting points into TA.
There is a cap on range for some towers, so range doesn't really matter.
P.S. Oh my eyes.. why did you have to write in white? :(

stats up to 1600s is enough actually. you should use your worst tower set on ev for building only buffs and reflect walls. if you build physical walls then tower hp is obviously important. if you build shock beams then also dmg ;)

however, as i said if you build only buffs and reflects the 800 or 1600 is enough because of the worse scaling :)