Sign in to follow this  
Theoran

Farming in a post 7.50 era

I've read some posts where people are saying "farming this map for this is dead now". So my question is this, is farming Sky City, KG, TD, WW, and Aquanos still going to produce the same results as they did pre 7.50 patch? I'm still trying to farm my way to 3k+ stats and I'm hoping the farming game hasn't changed.

From what I've read, the main difference is that there's a better DPS pet (mega chicken) and ranged weapon for huntress (rifle) from Tinkerer's Lab. To me the drop rates etc look the same (and no reports of the new map being better either).

I still find seahorses better, they shoot faster and arent melee. The chicken is nice but very situational imo.

Depends how good your chicken is, a 36/37k ish chicken does better range dps than a 20k seahorse.

In my opinion survival farming for gear is pointless because lab assault gives such good rewards.

Well when I see what people get I strongly agree with this one. Seems like its just a matter of time before you get sup armour or even ult armour from this map.

I almost find it insulting to the farmers of the game that spent hundereds/thousands of hours to get what they got when you can now rack up on Supreme gear or higher in a simple 5 minute assault run. I saw my son getting pets with ridiculous stats easily. It feels cheap. Lab Assault is the new farm it appears.

I almost find it insulting to the farmers of the game that spent hundereds/thousands of hours to get what they got when you can now rack up on Supreme gear or higher in a simple 5 minute assault run. I saw my son getting pets with ridiculous stats easily. It feels cheap. Lab Assault is the new farm it appears.

Why is it insulting? Because everyone can get good gear?

theoran prob feels insulated for putting in alot of time to get good **** , it was already predictable that trendy would make farming much easier with DD2 to be released. this game is slowly dying the amount of players went down alot only improved again with the new dlc but will drop again

You're insulted that we finally have a map that is configured appropriately for time vs reward? I think this is great. Even when I was just at capped trans piecesI could easily do 7 or 8 survival runs of KG on NMHCMM at several hours each with summoners out and not find a single upgrade. Or in the how many ever hours I spent doing WW, all I got was one or two acc worth using. I'm happy that can I spend a few hours farming this map and get several upgrades and other random nice stuff.

Also, as far as I can tell, the best of the best equipment is still rare and you'll still have to put in the time to it. This map just actually gives consistently good loot that's worth using.

Rack up on Supreme gear or higher in a simple 5 minute assault run.

I have to disagree. I ran it like... oh I can't remember how many times, but gotten only one ult armor so far. It was not the best either. I probably would have gotten at least two if I had spent that time on KG survival. But, the bonus is that you get other stuff like accessories, pets, etc. It's also hellalot more fun since you are actively playing instead of just baby sitting a build. I know some people that can solo this, but personally I run it with 2 friends because it's much more fun that way.

You're insulted that we finally have a map that is configured appropriately for time vs reward?

Maybe he feels insulted that it hasn't been this way, and all the time he's wasted so far.

This is psychotic. I've said it before on this forum, but attitudes like this are not only what nearly ruined this game, but are also like being mad at people that got the Polio vaccine because you "survived Polio that hard way". Why are you mad that others don't have to suffer?

No one is sorry that you're apparently less special now. I suggest tying your sense of accomplishment to an assessment of what YOU did instead of how it compares to others in an altered system.

Maybe he feels insulted that it hasn't been this way, and all the time he's wasted so far.

Then it's his freakin' fault. Farming that gear was a waste of time, and it was stupid to do it. It was a waste of time BEFORE the system changed with the Lab. Just because it's easier now doesn't mean it wasn't stupidly broken to begin with. You get no credit for getting tricked into banging your head into that wall.

The fact of the matter is that the game is better for having easier access to decent loot. That someone feels upset because people can do in 500 hours what he did in 1200 is an indictment on him, not the game.

Ok, after re-reading what I previously said, I don't like how it can be interpreted and I want to clarify. I misspoke. The word insulted was a much harsher word than what I intended to convey. So please do not think I am complaining. That was not my intention. What I meant to say was that I felt bad for the guys that labored for the gear over so many, many hours. Not that I'm appalled that now everyone can get decent loot. I'm not faulting the game, the community, farming, or the loot returns. That was not my intention. I love this game and enjoy farming. I'm 36 years old and that's what many of the RPG games I played growing up required. I don't feel like I've wasted any of my time playing DD. I have enjoyed myself tremendously. Please don't look at me as "that guy". I'm not....I'm hip....I'm cool....oh, and I play solo 99% of the time due to fear of online communities.

Now, my 12 year old son.....well, farming is absolutely foreign to him. He played the Lab Assault over and over again and filled the storage with Trans, Supreme, and a few ultimate gear. I played a few times and got nothing but godly. I'm guessing he got the lucky draw as RNG hates me.

Good follow-up post. ^_^ If you ever want to try playing with other people more often, we have a great community here on the boards. Not all of us still post regularly, since the move to the new domain, especially as the new content for the game has dwindled. Most of us are still playing on Steam, however, and I for one would be glad to play some DunDef with you.

And as we've said countless times in posts of the past: this is a cooperative title. It is not, by any stretch, a competitive game. The PVP mode, which nobody actually plays, is a side-item. But for some reason, some past forum members have had the toxic mentality of, "Having better loot means you're a better player. The game is all about who can have the highest stats, not about enjoying playtime or even playing at all." In that, we have become defensive when posts hark back to that mentality.

When people are able to get better loot in a way that is faster, and can reward you sensibly/fairly based on the time spent, that is nothing but good. It means more people can enjoy (and succeed in) the game. It means you have more potential teammates to run stages and enjoy playtime with. Cooperatively. Yes, it would have been nice if this stuff was instituted sooner. But as people said above: people who spent that much time farming made that choice consciously. And if they enjoyed the results, then it was not a waste. It's about the journey, not just the ends.

I never spent huge amounts of time armor farming, and I stopped at the fairly small amount required to get stats high enough to merely clear NM content. Better armor came when it did, but I wasn't in a rush. I did some more of it when King's Game came out, as that offered a fairer reward versus time spent. Now that stages like Akatiti or TL Assault can provide a reasonable ratio of time:reward for me, I'll farm them a bit.

Especially because, as mentioned above, TL Assault actually involves active playing. The kind that's fun, can be done both solo or as a group; much like why we farmed Boss Rush when it was released. It's not just passive survival maintenance where you pray and often end up disappointed.

Ok, after re-reading what I previously said, I don't like how it can be interpreted and I want to clarify. I misspoke. The word insulted was a much harsher word than what I intended to convey. So please do not think I am complaining. That was not my intention. What I meant to say was that I felt bad for the guys that labored for the gear over so many, many hours. Not that I'm appalled that now everyone can get decent loot. I'm not faulting the game, the community, farming, or the loot returns. That was not my intention. I love this game and enjoy farming. I'm 36 years old and that's what many of the RPG games I played growing up required. I don't feel like I've wasted any of my time playing DD. I have enjoyed myself tremendously. Please don't look at me as "that guy". I'm not....I'm hip....I'm cool....oh, and I play solo 99% of the time due to fear of online communities.

Now, my 12 year old son.....well, farming is absolutely foreign to him. He played the Lab Assault over and over again and filled the storage with Trans, Supreme, and a few ultimate gear. I played a few times and got nothing but godly. I'm guessing he got the lucky draw as RNG hates me.

or he is doing it on insane and you are on nm I have done these maps more than a few times nm gives me godlys and insane give sup - ult +

Hehe it is easy yes, but you still battle it out with RNG. +100 NM clears and not a single piece of sup or ult armor here :) I don't know but I'm starting to think I've done something wrong for RNG to hate me so much. 1600h played still prancing around in mostly trans gear, lucky me.

My son and I both played IHC. I hosted when I played since I couldn't really do it solo with my stats and found nothing I liked. I have heard tales of the host always getting the weaker stuff. Case in point, I seahorse farmed for a week with 2xbox controllers. I managed a few decent horses. I forgot to hide my match and couple of newer players joined and hung out. The dudes tower squire got a horse with +450 to 4 tower stats. Me, my horse was worth 574 mana. I laughed to myself and was happy for the squire. He got what I had been trying for for 25 maps x 3 controllers. RNG is a fickle....umm, well, it's a love/hate relationship.

Hehe it is easy yes, but you still battle it out with RNG. +100 NM clears and not a single piece of sup or ult armor here :) I don't know but I'm starting to think I've done something wrong for RNG to hate me so much. 1600h played still prancing around in mostly trans gear, lucky me.

This. It is by no means easy to get ultimate and supreme armor in this map, as some people are making it seem. They seem to drop at a slightly better rate than at survivals, though, and, even if you didn't get any, there is always the accessories to compensate. As for the pets and weapons, they are in practice useless (no genies or fairies).

This. It is by no means easy to get ultimate and supreme armor in this map, as some people are making it seem. They seem to drop at a slightly better rate than at survivals, though, and, even if you didn't get any, there is always the accessories to compensate. As for the pets and weapons, they are in practice useless (no genies or fairies).

There must be something wrong with NM then. I have played IHC for a couple of hours a night every night since release and i have so much gear it is ridiculous. The pets all of my builders are sporting are only beat by diamonds. I agree though the weapons suck. It is very "easy" to get Sup+. It is still somewhat rare, especially for Ults, but the process is far easier than survivals. There is a very low skill and gear threshold so therefore it is easy, the only thing required is time.

I like grinding to get stuff, in my opinion it makes the end feel so much better. I fought tooth and nail to get my stats up since i started playing this game a month or two ago. I grinded mana for hours to be able to buy gear that would let me clear stuff to grind the gear myself. I experimented and tweaked builds, researched and read guides. I built my key builders to 3k+ 100 points at a time. Since i have started farming assault every singe one of my builders is now close to or over 4k with a couple pushing close to 5k. It only took a few days, maybe a week. I could probably put together several 3k sets just with the gear i have in my shop for 100m that i deemed too "bad" to wear. This is gear i would see in a shop going for coal.

When i hit 4k it did not feel anywhere near as satisfying as hitting 3k. Its not a "me vs everyone else" mindset either. 99.9% of the time i duo with my wife. The only time i don't is when running tavern and I'm too lazy to rep. It is about the personal feeling of accomplishment and running a ridiculously easy 3 minute map is not much of an accomplishment. I literally play it with peripheral vision while reading something random on the internet.

The cat is out of the bag now and to do the long grind would just make me feel stupid now rather than accomplished. But this is to be expected. This is the let everyone beat everything patch to get them off this game and on to the next. I just wish i had found this game earlier.

Especially because, as mentioned above, TL Assault actually involves active playing. The kind that's fun, can be done both solo or as a group; much like why we farmed Boss Rush when it was released. It's not just passive survival maintenance where you pray and often end up disappointed.

This is so very true and I have enjoyed playing with others on this map when everyone connected is actually playing and not sitting at the starting point letting others have all the fun. :D

I played last night for an hour and only got a few pieces I liked. I just don't like having gear be +400 +200 -400 -350 in tower stats. I do like the nice accessories though. But am I weird that I just don't like the look of masks and weird hats? I'd almost rather do without just for simple look of my toon.

On another note, the Lab Assault map did make me want to make my one DPS better when I saw all the people with 80k+ weapon damage. So I researched and was able to get my first pawn shot completing KG in NMHC solo. I see that I've missed a lot due to my son bowling through these maps. I had no clue these maps had these kinds of rewards.

P.S.
This is still by far the best community I've lurked with. ;) Whether it is forums or public gameplay.

blah I just cant believe inshc would give ulti or sup armor...just tried it with 3afks. Ran it for a couple hours, in the end i had 1000+ items in my inbox and guess what not a single sup or ulti armor...FML

I've gotten mostly myth or trans armor. Sup Acc, and sup and ult weapons that are pretty useless. So I stand corrected. My son be lying to me about all the sup stuff he got. I did this on NMHC a few times. Loot was no better.

I've gotten mostly myth or trans armor. Sup Acc, and sup and ult weapons that are pretty useless. So I stand corrected. My son be lying to me about all the sup stuff he got. I did this on NMHC a few times. Loot was no better.

Since the map came out I've run the lab assault twice for about 1-2 hours on NMHC in a public group. EVERY session at least 2-3 people got ultimate armors - including me. I'm up at two so far, from only those two sessions.