How to have a respectful conversation on any topic

I'd like to throw another one in there:

Give people the benefit of the doubt. More often than not, people didn't intend to be as rude/crass/whatever as they came off. If you read everything in a positive light, posts rarely come off as rude. If you're looking for reasons to dislike a post, you will find one, even in the most carefully-worded writing ever.

Unless you're reading nyancat's posts, in which case most of them are rude and extremely condescending in tone.

youre just mad cause you dont have a poptart cat. i wonder if it's possible to troll with pictures of kittens >_>

also, would it be trolling if i posted in a thread thats already been posted 50 times saying:

THIS IS YOUR THREAD. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS YOURS!.

this is a joke btw :P props to anyone who knows the reference.

It refers to "Full Metal Jacket". What did I win?

Imho rude behavior is exploding because people don't think before they post, or seek a vent for their negative emotions online.

Could blatantly refusing to acknowledge a person's genuine request for information on a topic not be considered rude?
I refer to the post 'EU Playstation Network release' under console technical support.
Pot.... Kettle.... Black.

Could blatantly refusing to acknowledge a person's genuine request for information on a topic not be considered rude?
I refer to the post 'EU Playstation Network release' under console technical support.
Pot.... Kettle.... Black.

TE doesn't blatantly refuse to answer threads... they don't have the man power to do so atm. They are a small company and have a backlog of work atm.

I can tell you that they will and do keep us up to date on any progress... the EU division is causing problems last we heard. There is nothing they can do atm =\

So Finally, I'm noticing a lot, especially today, that people seem not to be reading this at all. But I am taking the liberty of linking this for rude people who clearly must be on a mission to get themselves banned :D

I find it kind of sad that this community apparently needs a guide on how to hold a civilized conversation and using basic grammar.

It was a very well written, detailed "guide" and in most cases I try to be polite, but there are occasions when you just need to say whatever your thinking, be it in foul language, all caps, or just the classic: "awebjjfiuh" people need to vent from time to time. Having a great community, great game, great everything is still not enough because it's a given fact that us PC gamers are grade A (8 letter censorship) that are unsatisfiable. But as previously said, poptart cats might be the solution.

- Ken

POPTART CATS ARE THE SOLUTION,you can't fight back with your orange and 2 carrots. Haha and what is that about PC gamers being grade A. That sounds like a very elitist statement mind elaborating?

POPTART CATS ARE THE SOLUTION,you can't fight back with your orange and 2 carrots. Haha and what is that about PC gamers being grade A. That sounds like a very elitist statement mind elaborating?
I think just guessing from his (8 letter censorship) part he meant that PC gamers can be grade A *** holes (for finally's sake, I just put stars and spelled no cuss words :D) That's my guess since that is 8 letters lol... And yes, poptart cats are the answer to all of lifes mysteries and problems.

Three cheers for Finally! Its always good to see that someone on the internet cares enough about a community to explain to them how to be respectful. I think I will use a link to this thread to politely "flame" people on this forum. lol

Forums are terrible community discussion tools. There comes a point where the moderators just cant keep up with all the trolling and flame wars. There are better tools out there for creating meaningful discussion/feedback (I wont mention specifics because whenever I do, people think Im trying to sell something).

As an example, though, take the comments section below Youtube videos. Those are barely moderated, but the posts are usually relevant to the video Why? Because theyve put the power to quash the garbage or irrelevant posts into the hands of the community via the little thumbs up/down tool. If a comment receives enough thumbs down, its automatically hidden. 90% of your problems are solved right there.

Forums are terrible community discussion tools. There comes a point where the moderators just can’t keep up with all the trolling and flame wars. There are better tools out there for creating meaningful discussion/feedback (I won’t mention specifics because whenever I do, people think I’m trying to sell something).

As an example, though, take the “comments” section below Youtube videos. Those are barely moderated, but the posts are usually relevant to the video… Why? Because they’ve put the power to quash the garbage or irrelevant posts into the hands of the community via the little thumbs up/down tool. If a comment receives enough thumbs down, it’s automatically hidden. 90% of your problems are solved right there.
well said mate! It happen to my good thread getting troll'd. I don't blame the mods here because if they start banning trolls, there won't be anyone to visit this forum, so i'm cool with that.

This also teach us a lesson that Devs on this game can't rely on everyone complains, particular those that have a bad history.

Take this thread for example. A legit and concerning question thread got swarm with troll that come here visit this forum so very often.

I respectfully decline the thumb system since it has shown it can be abuse in just like in my above legit link.

Trolls to me has it up and down too and you'll see through other people personalty once you able to crack them under pressure where they're tell you all sort of lies and nasty insults.

Forums are excellent discussion tools. You could say the same thing about anything if your going off of your logic. You can't judge a system honestly on who uses it. Just like power your put power into a child's hand he will play, an evil mans hands he will use it for evil, a good man for good. Its not the forums that are a bad tool. It's the users that are ruining the tool. There shouldn't be a point where the mods need to keep up with the threads as it is free flowing opinions arguments and answers. I understand that trolls do ruin many of the posts and the like. But at the same time there are multiple helpful and useful threads just as unaffected by them.