Sign in to follow this  
/4n!114 ][c3

disclaimer: i am a huge playstation fan

This is indeed good news. ^_^ And yes, it was without question the public response that brought it on. Once it became clear that the distaste for the policies was spreading to every facet of media, affecting even the mainstream buyers that don't normally care what is happening in the gamer/geek culture online, they knew it was gonna lose them money.

Although I dunno where you've been reading; I haven't seen anyone touting this as a victory for Microsoft (nor anyone praising them for it, aside from some outlying exceptions.) Quite the contrary. I have seen, no less than 100 times in the span of a few hours, people calling it the "Xbox-180" (condemning them for "flip-flopping") and how they think it's "too late." For a system that doesn't even launch for another five months. -_- Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

From official GameStop numbers, both systems had a good amount of pre-orders even before this reversal. I have no doubt both will do well enough at launch. At least as well as such expensive systems can do. And again, I'll respect whichever one(s) people decide to buy.

its sensationalist reactions im seeing, but there are a lot of people that have similar responses. as you said, the fanboys are the main ones displaying such a reaction. they want the xbone to be the top dog, and they are convinced that because microsoft has changed their policies, they are now the "winners" (you know, the console war and all that (dont start that up again)).

i disagree, and i feel it is 100% a consumer win. whatever the reason behind it is irrelevant, honestly, as the outcome that needed to happen, did.

as far as pre-orders go, you cant really judge off of that, because console pre-orders generally are, and always have been, placed by people that are going to buy what they are going to buy regardless of news surrounding them. they are made by compulsory people who generally dont spend a lot of time analyzing.

all the same, good news for everyone.

The ignorant masses, the ones who don't know or care about the intimate/objective details of the systems, are the ones who make up the majority of the buying public. It's why I don't doubt both systems will sell well enough to at least stick around. Even if, in the case of the XB1, the system doesn't necessarily deserve to sell well.

A lot of the uninformed public, with more money than sense, will snap up the XB1 simply because it's the follow-up to 360. Not because they are Microsoft fans in many cases, rather because it's what they're familiar with. They play their COD, their Madden, FIFA, and such on an Xbox. Now there's a new one. Sadly, that name recognition helps a lot.

There will always be brainwashed Xbox fanboys buying it, too. Just like countless Sony fanboys defended the PS3's launch to the death last-gen, claiming it did nothing wrong and was perfect. Even despite its glaring, serious faults; many of which were never addressed to this day. To me, a purchase decision should always be based on its actual value and use to you personally. Basing it purely on the manufacturer, one who is a huge multinational corporation, makes no sense.

Your affection for Sony aside, it seems we both prefer the PS4 because it's offering a genuinely better experience and value. And that is good. Down the road, we would gladly reconsider an XB1 if it became a sensible value to us. ^_^ There is no contention here.