Sign in to follow this  
/4n!114 ][c3

disclaimer: i am a huge playstation fan

with the above stated, i fully love hardware choices, and i thoroughly enjoyed owning both an xbox 360 and a ps3. the only reason i no longer have a 360 is because i gave it to my brother after moving out of his house. i kept my ps3, because i bought that one all myself.

however, microsoft needs to do some serious re-stragtegizing.

currently against them:

- restrictions on used games (i actually support this. i do not believe the used game market is healthy for developers and publishers)
- an online requirement for system validation (a minor concern for me, but i understand fully why it is an issue)
- restrictions on lending games
- 500 dollar pricepoint.

currently in sony's favor:

- no restrictions on used games
- no online system validation or system lockout if validation is not performed
- no restrictions on trading or lending games
- 400 dollar price point.

==================

i was planning to buy myself a PS4 come november anyway, as i am receiving a promotion at work and it was going to be my way of congratulating myself, but this news is just that much more reassuring concerning my investment.

i sincerely hope microsoft makes some huge changes, because i do not want to see them forced out of the console game like what happened with sega back in 2001/2002.

Multiplayer is no longer free in playstation but its $5 so its way cheaper than xboxlive.

With $100 cheaper than xbox, their policy in used games, DRM and always-on, I think Playstation is ahead/just won the console war this generation.

playstation plus is 50 dollars a year. i cant remember how much it is for live, but i know they are pretty close. newly unearthed evidence reveals why the console is 100 dollars cheaper, and that is because it doesnt ship with the camera. the camera is sold separately for 60 dollars, so the comparative price is 460 to 500. im sure the xbox comes with some amount of xbox live membership as well (i think new 360s come with 3 months?), so you have an additional 15-20 dollars of value with the purchase.

the ps4 may or may not come with a ps plus membership, but even without, if you get the ps4, the camera, and 1 year of membership, you are at 510 before taxes, so the net gain from the ps4 purchase is insanely ahead of the net gain from the xbone purchase just because of all of the value with the ps plus membership.

[c3;885971']playstation plus is 50 dollars a year. i cant remember how much it is for live, but i know they are pretty close. newly unearthed evidence reveals why the console is 100 dollars cheaper, and that is because it doesnt ship with the camera. the camera is sold separately for 60 dollars, so the comparative price is 460 to 500. im sure the xbox comes with some amount of xbox live membership as well (i think new 360s come with 3 months?), so you have an additional 15-20 dollars of value with the purchase.

the ps4 may or may not come with a ps plus membership, but even without, if you get the ps4, the camera, and 1 year of membership, you are at 510 before taxes, so the net gain from the ps4 purchase is insanely ahead of the net gain from the xbone purchase just because of all of the value with the ps plus membership.

Xbox Live is $80 for 12 months through Microsoft

There is no "console war," aside from the ones perpetuated by bandwagoning fans online. People should buy the console they find value in, that offers games they want to play, and makes sense considering their budget. For me, currently, that is neither of the upcoming systems (at their very high launch prices.) A few years down the line, this could likely change.

Xbox Live is $80 for 12 months through Microsoft

Please do not spread false information. If you buy 12 months of Gold from MS directly, it is actually $60. There is also always, and I mean literally always, a sale running online for 12-month Gold cards for between $35-$45. Through Amazon, Newegg, or a number of other places. So Gold equates to something like ten cents per day for anyone who wishes it so.

the "console war" is a very real thing. fans over emphasize it, but it exists beyond their bandwagoning.

the console war is what pushed sega to developer only, it is what killed neogeo, it killed atari, its killing nintendo, it killed nokia...

ultimately, the console war determines what developers are going to develop for. if they make games for systems that do not sell, then they make games that do not sell, so it is very, VERY important that the hardware manufacturers make carefully well calculated moves. xbox has made decisions that currently will severely impact their hardware sales.

the price points are also extremely realistic. the xbox 360 launched at 400 dollars, the PS3 launched at 600, and that ended up hurting them for years. the original xbox was 350 i think. right now the PS4 is sitting at the price point of an average consumer laptop, which if people can justify dropping 400 dollars every 2 years on one of those, they can justify dropping 400 on a system that is going to take them down the road 6-8 years without becoming outdated. the xbone is a little higher up, but its still not at all an unrealistic price, but in the initial push, it is going to have a tremendous impact on their out the gate sales.

the reason being, come christmas time when little tommy or amanda want a new game system, 400 dollars is going to be grabbed for before 500 dollars, and situations like that make up 60% or more of primary console sales.

currently in sony's favor:

- no restrictions on used games
- no online system validation or system lockout if validation is not performed
- no restrictions on trading or lending games
- 400 dollar price point.

BUT! Can you watch TV in as many ways as you can on the Xbone? NO!

Eh, all jokes aside. There were many downsides to the Xbone, regardless, I still planned on getting it. I was just waiting for E3. I was still siding with Microsoft's product, up until they announced Kingdom Hearts 3. I made up my mind on the spot, as soon as I seen the "Disney" logo. They won me over.

The only reason I could see myself getting the Xbone, would be for Halo 5. I have always been a ENORMOUS Xbox fan, and a good portion of my gaming career was spent on Halo. I went semi-pro in H3, and was sponsored by a dying company called "Active Gamers". They moved onto Super-Smash-Bros tournies, thus leaving the Xbox console behind; along with me.

I may still get an Xbone, but only when Halo 5 is nearing it's release. If there is some sort of "Special Edition Halo 5: Xbox One", I'll likely be getting it. As it comes out sometime next year, 2014. I'll have time to save up for it, aside from going to college in the Spring of the upcoming year. If I can manage the money, I'll have my hands on it. If not, I'll be sitting comfy waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released on my pretty new PS4.

In closing some jokes that have appeared on my newsfeed - via - facebook.

And a couple jokes by yours truly c;

Lets look at the scores.

Xbox 1 - Playstation 4

There is no "console war," aside from the ones perpetuated by bandwagoning fans online. People should buy the console they find value in, that offers games they want to play, and makes sense considering their budget. For me, currently, that is neither of the upcoming systems (at their very high launch prices.) A few years down the line, this could likely change.

Please do not spread false information. If you buy 12 months of Gold from MS directly, it is actually $60. There is also always, and I mean literally always, a sale running online for 12-month Gold cards for between $35-$45. Through Amazon, Newegg, or a number of other places. So Gold equates to something like ten cents per day for anyone who wishes it so.

It is your opinion that there is no console war as it is in other people's opinion that there is a console war. IMO there is a console war as gamer from both sides take a piss out of each other (or 3 or 4 sides if you count PC and Wii), as well the competition between consoles on exclusive games and graphic performance.

I'm not spreading false information, I went to the xbox website directly and posted the price. and I did say THROUGH MICROSOFT, I did not mention anything about other sources, please read more carefully.

I will repeat, as it is true, there is no console "war." There is competition between two businesses, Microsoft and Sony, that are trying to sell their products. Two very large, equally "evil" companies. And as publicly-owned corporations, they have only one legal obligation: to maximize profit for their shareholders by any means necessary under the law. They will tell you, and offer you, whatever they think will get you to buy their systems. Sony does not care about gamers, nor about indie companies, any more than Microsoft does. If you think they do, you have bought into their marketing.

Sony happens to be offering a better feature set in PS4, and it was easy to counteract Microsoft after the abysmal presentations and PR nightmare that the Xbox One has ended up with. And it makes sense that people would choose the PS4 over the XB1. But that's called making an informed decision, and that's where it should stop. Making it into a "war" means you are becoming emotionally invested in a piece of plastic and a corporation you have no stake in. It means you are reveling and taking personal pride in the failure of a company who has done you no harm. People are putting more time and emotion into this invented console war than they invest into most actual people in their lives. And that's absurd.

And as a disclaimer: I am speaking to the internet and social media at large.
I am not making that statement to anyone in this thread.

im sure the people that work for sony and microsoft are very emotionally invested in their "pieces of plastic," and would love to see their respective plastic do better than the others, because it has very real consequences to them.

it is a "war" because it is 2 entities competing for victory. why the are competing and what the victory is is irrelevant, because those are tangibles that change in every comparable situation.

further, the console war is clearly not a consumer driven thing, because if it was, the relatively equal number of people buying the competing hardware would not exist. it would be decidedly one-sided were that the case.

the console war does not affect consumers; it affects the corporations, because they are the ones that see the pros or cons of it become realized. how much do you think shares in sony jumped after the e3 announcement? how much do you think microsoft dropped?

that is where the war matters. your living room or mine is just the newspaper when the results of the battles are discussed.

which is what this thread is.

so, if you cant discuss the context of this thread in a non-cynical manner, perhaps you should go have your soggy frosted flakes in a soggy frosted flakes room.

I was not being cynical; I was being a voice of reason. As I always strive to. I said, in my first post, that people should make an informed decision - based on which system offers them an experience they will find personal value in. This is true for any purchase in life. For a majority of people, that is PS4, and that makes perfect sense. I am inserting no negativity into the subject at hand. My speaking out against the "console wars" was in-fact the contrary: discussing why the endless negativity and toxic environment in social media this past week is unnecessary.

And despite your misinterpreting what I said, and inserting things I never said myself, I was right. People are becoming personally invested in companies they have no stake in. They are letting marketing lead them to associate human and compassionate traits with corporations that possess neither. That is a serious problem, no matter how you slice it, and merely discussing the subject does no harm. This is a discussion forum. I see no need to stifle objective discussion.

Obviously the employees of these two companies have a stake in the competitive process; I never said anything to the contrary. Your bringing that up is redundant, other than to divert, as there is no contention to this subject. We all feel for them. But the thousands of Sony/MS employees are not the ones propagating the "console war" mentality online, nor would they even be capable of doing so in such small relative numbers. It's the literal millions of consumers who, as stated many times factually, have no stake in the failure/success of these companies.

i didnt misinterpret, nor did i insert anything, but both of those things are irrelevant and its just you trying to debase me by making statements to illicit a reaction.

however, the console war does matter to gamers, because if one console or another fails for whatever reason, and particularly in the case of the xbone vs the ps4, it has very real consequences for current and future gamers, in that features included/attached to one console or another that one person or another may see as a reason to not buy something will become the standard for all future versions. thus, why microsoft should rethink its stance on its online authentication and content locking.

which means, yes, there are emotional and commercial attachments to the outcome of the console war, because it determines what consoles of the future will include.

if you cannot realize that, then it is a failure and a misconception on your part.

Just some of my personal thoughts on the matter:

I pre-ordered the PS4 immediately after the Sony stream ended even though my last main console was the 360. They listened to a lot of what gamers wanted, developers wanted, and it has a good price point. While I'm a PC gamer 99% of the time now (PS4 will change that), I have to support Sony for what they did here. They made a gaming console focused on....gaming. There are a lot of reasons big and small that put the PS4 over the XB1. But when I compare the two and I see things like the XB1 always has to connect every 24 hours, there's a camera in your face every moment (the idea creeps me out), and there's all this focus on making it a media center. It feels like Microsoft wants the xbox to transition from a gaming console to a media center. While there is that growing demand for the media centers at home I can't justify a higher cost while in the end I really just want a high powered gaming console.

yeah, im not inherently against the xbox, im just a sony lover. the bulk of my entertainment center is sony, but that is because i have had nothing but express delight with their products, from tvs, to speakers, to consoles. my allegiance lies with them, and has for the past 15 years.

regarding microsoft, i currently to not have a single reason to make me say i dont want an xbone. i dont even have a reason to make me say i dont want an xbone before i get a PS4. its just a matter of i want a PS4 because i am a sony supporter.

more than likely there will be a time withing 2 years that i will own both systems. i like console exclusives because they generally have a little bit of extra shine to them over something that is cross developed.

to me, the kinect camera, the required daily authentication, and the content locking are moot issues. i dont currently buy used games anyway, as i want to know my money is going to fund developers and publishers, because they are what makes my initial console investment retain its value. i like the perks of connected consoles, and if someone at microsoft wants to watch me do what i do when i do what i do, hey, thats their problem. im comfortable in my actions. also, duck tape.

as i said in my original post, microsoft has a lot going against them in the console market with their current strategy. do not make the same mistakes as others.

!!!!!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!

ps4 will not be released this year.... Sony CEO and board members were arrested today. they were all charged with rape. all prayers go out to their victim microsoft LOL

as far as i'm concerned, the only thing that happened is Sony Annihilated Microsoft. and frankly, i'm glad to see the console king back with the crown. nobody can deny the first two Play Stations were THE market. there was nothing else to own.

simply based on the exclusive games alone i was sold for the PS4. the Xplox doesn't have any exclusive games that are good. the only thing left is Forza, and that's even starting to dip a little bit. and i'm not buying an entire console system just for one game, if i buy one at all.

the ONLY games on Xplox i'm even remotely interested in is Project Spark and Titanfall. and Titanfall is only a light curiosity to see if this is CODfishy with mechs. i'm hoping it isn't quite that bad. because the art looks very nice. and Titanfall was annouced that it might come to PC after release. so now we're down to just Project Spark. but i can live without it.

edit: lol'd @ '\/4n!114 ][c3'. you're being naive, seriously. that's all i have to say.
you started an arguement with Shin over the truth. but... he already said it.

Congrats on the promotion \/4n!114 ][c3 and lol Black Mamba. I love that youtube video.

Now on the subject at hand. I agree 100% with:
Just some of my personal thoughts on the matter:

I pre-ordered the PS4 immediately after the Sony stream ended even though my last main console was the 360. They listened to a lot of what gamers wanted, developers wanted, and it has a good price point. While I'm a PC gamer 99% of the time now (PS4 will change that), I have to support Sony for what they did here. They made a gaming console focused on....gaming. There are a lot of reasons big and small that put the PS4 over the XB1. But when I compare the two and I see things like the XB1 always has to connect every 24 hours, there's a camera in your face every moment (the idea creeps me out), and there's all this focus on making it a media center. It feels like Microsoft wants the xbox to transition from a gaming console to a media center. While there is that growing demand for the media centers at home I can't justify a higher cost while in the end I really just want a high powered gaming console.

I can justify paying more for a console as long as it gives me what I want as a gamer. If the PS4 was $100+ more expensive than the xbox one I would still chose the PS4 based on my opinion that they listened to what I wanted in a gaming system. Microsoft lost me as a customer the moment they decided it was a good idea to have it always connect to the internet every 24 hours in order to work AND their need to violate my privacy with the always on Kinect. Sure there has been reports that you can pause it and such, but I don't care. I want to be able to play my console without having a camera/mic connected to it all the times and without having to worry if I have internet where I am. I own both the 360 and the ps3. I love them for their own reasons and because of that, I never had a preference when it came to Microsoft vs Sony. I loved them equally. But given what each company has presented so far, I can say with confidence that I can see myself buying the PS4 and not caring about the XB1. Why should I? In my opinion, their choices in what features the console should have lead me to believe that they don't care about me as a consumer or gamer. Whether that's true or not, that's the impression they have given me so far.

It seems PS4 is the favorite of the two systems. After looking at the Xbox One, I decided that I don't want it. It has too many negatives compared to the Xbox 360. There are some positives, but I don't really care about "voice recognition" and "split screen between a game, internet, or music/video, and better graphics. Truthfully, I prefer a game's story compared to graphics, although graphics should be decent. I would rather keep my Xbox 360 or buy a PS4.

thanks Laura :)

the price honestly feels kinda like retribution to me. i got the PS3 like, a year and a half after launch (thanks stimulus checks!!), and that 600 dollars was a tough one to swallow, but i havent been disappointed with it.

that said, there is a lot of, i dont know, maybe ... i dont know, i cant think of how to put it into words. basically though, the 400/500 dollar debate over the two kinda feels like misinformation to me. with the xbone, the 500 dollars includes the system, the controller, the kinect camera, and 1 month of xbox live. for the ps4, 400 dollars gets you the system and a controller (that is confirmed, anyway). the camera is an additional 60 bucks, so while it is still a value to just buy the ps4 and the camera over the xbone, to me it is a moot point. you know, like marketing that says something is 399.99.

come on, just say its 400 dollars. sadly, it makes a huge difference.

owning both i think would be hilarious, because i would totally plug my ps4's hdmi out into the hdmi in on the xbone, cause why not.

except for right now, there has never been a time where i have not owned 2 or 3 era appropriate consoles. i had a nintendo and a master system at the same time; a super nintendo, a game gear, and a genesis at the same time; a saturn and a playstation; a ps2, gamecube, and a dreamcast; a ps3, wii, and a 360; and now i have a ps3 and a vita (the 360 i gave to my brother and the wii i beat with a sledgehammer and rage-molded into a vita).

i have always been a multi-console gamer, and i see no reason to change that. i just cant deny the fact that at my core, i am a sony supporter, and i will always consider what they have over the competition. you cant sway me from thinking that sega made the best consoles, though. but personally, i felt while sega catered more to the "gamer" rather than the "person who plays game" in the last century, i feel like sony really picked up the mantel and drove the gamer market over the people-who-play-games market.

im still perpetually pissed that the PS3, with its sony-developed and dominating blu-ray technology, has like 4 games that play in 1080p.

I love everything about that last post. ^_^ I gave it a thumbs-up, actually (might as well say it, since the thumbs are anonymous for some reason.) And much like you, I was the one who always owned each major console in a generation. No reason to miss out when, especially in the olden days, they each offered such amazingly unique experiences.

I've been absolutely broke for the latter part of my life, so in that I was much slower to get all pieces of the last two generations. Got the GameCube and XBOX a year or two after launch. I got my 360 two years after it launched, and I only just got a PS3 earlier this year - I'm glad to finally have both current-gen systems.

I have every intention, much as you, to own both the PS4 and XB1 someday. The only thing stopping me now, of course, is the price. Even one would be impossible for me right now. A year or more into it, when my finances are more solid and the systems' libraries a lot beefier, I'll reevaluate the scenario. And like most people, I want a PS4 much more than I want an XB1. The XB1 is actually lower than the Wii-U on my want list, sadly, because at least the Wii-U costs half as much (and has some good first-party stuff coming next year.)

better heads (and probably concerned chairmen) have prevailed.

system lockout and online registration are cut from the xbone now. for video gamers, today is a win and a show of the power of our support. or in this case, the lack thereof.

i cant help but think that, as much as we would like to believe that the reaction to the policies is what changed it, there was probably a huge deal of pressure from shareholders and financial analysts that ultimately drove this decision. cynicism aside, consumer reaction undoubtedly played a large part.

people are touting a victory for microsoft.

no, my friends. this is a victory for us. purchasing power over marketing manipulation.