Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Blue

So Trendy Entertainment seems to be a terrible place to work.

All this news is pretty crazy, but I am glad that things are hopefully changing for the better. I always wondered why there were a lot of bugs that took quite a while to get fixed in DD1. I know a lot of the reports were coding issues, but that doesn't control everything. I'm still ready to support Trendy with DD2 though, and hopefully with the change it will turn out even better than it could have otherwise.

Well at least maybe this isn't going to be an issue anymore (from the DD Meme Thread,page 6):

All silly aside Im hoping Trendy can make another awesome game worthy of being called the sequel to Dungeon Defenders. I'll support the workers at Trendy too.

Keep these things in mind...

Ignition studios closed after firing Mr. Stieglitz because they couldn't finish the game... no game ended up coming out. Which is probably why they are not firing him now at Trendy due to Kotaku's unfounded accusations. On top of that there are no lawsuits being brought against the company which leads me to believe none of the accusations are true.

Mr. Stieglitz was able to make a full finished game called monster madness (which he worked on with many of his current employees who have been working with him and standing by him for years through 3 different companies). Some of whom would probably quit if he was fired because they believe in him that much.

He also made a game engine called reality engine and that was bought by Epic a long while ago. (He made that project also with some of his current employees who have been working with him for years).

Mr. Stieglitz under immense pressure after being fired from ignition was able to find a way to make Dungeon Defenders. He and Augi Lye partnered up to make this company. Jeremy had the tech know how + the industry friends/co-workers and Augi had the access to getting angel investors (though at a steep interest rate or so I've heard). The game (Dungeon Defenders) wasn't perfect because it had to be released as soon as possible to create income because when angel investors come knocking for their repayment... what can you do? Much less having money to pay for rent and living etc... Oh the start-up life.

Trendy was partially sold due to financial pressure/needs to keep things from going under. They had a few options and I think their current company is better than the other option (Zynga...). To get the investment though they had to promise a League duplicate because the investors are not that savvy and are chasing the trends. So there you go... that is what is up.

Trendy has only one record of ever paying a women less than a man for the same position and that was because the women's concept art didn't appeal to the company compared to the other applicant.

Trendy's chief financial manager is a highly paid women.

Mr. Stieglitz is an awkward person who is often terse and gives instruction to both men and women from outside the office door, he's not gender biased despite what kotaku says.

Trendy costs upwards of 400K a month to run... not that the employees working there know that.

The investments money Trendy received was used for a lot of things... such as purchasing a few other small companies to convince them to come work with Trendy. Also some of the investment money was from the sale of equity that was owned by the employees that are now supposedly so angry. So when people wave around that large investment figure and say things should be better... well not all that money was really in Trendy's own bank account. Quite a few of these over worked employees got paid out for their Equity that was sold.

Mr. Stieglitz was one of the lead engineers on the project as well as the director. He is a brilliant computer engineer and loves to write code.
He just got married in April. (To a female entrepreneur named Susan, who owns two small companies, so I don't think he has an issue with strong women).
He rarely is able to spend time with his wife because Trendy demands long work weeks from him as well as his co-workers.
He hasn't had a break from a 90 hour work week in about 6 years.
He's not even 30 years old.
He's suffers from a rare nerve condition called trigeminal neuralgia that makes it feel like you are being stabbed in the face. Look it up if you don't know how painful this is. It has one of the highest rates of suicide of most health conditions.

I think I understand why Mr. Stieglitz is stressed and has an acidic temperament.

So yep. That's all something to keep in mind when you decide how you feel about things.

Keep these things in mind...

Ignition studios closed after firing Mr. Stieglitz because they couldn't finish the game... no game ended up coming out. Which is probably why they are not firing him now at Trendy due to Kotaku's unfounded accusations. On top of that there are no lawsuits being brought against the company which leads me to believe none of the accusations are true.

Mr. Stieglitz was able to make a full finished game called monster madness (which he worked on with many of his current employees who have been working with him and standing by him for years through 3 different companies). Some of whom would probably quit if he was fired because they believe in him that much.

He also made a game engine called reality engine and that was bought by Epic a long while ago. (He made that project also with some of his current employees who have been working with him for years).

Mr. Stieglitz under immense pressure after being fired from ignition was able to find a way to make Dungeon Defenders. He and Augi Lye partnered up to make this company. Jeremy had the tech know how + the industry friends/co-workers and Augi had the access to getting angel investors (though at a steep interest rate or so I've heard). The game (Dungeon Defenders) wasn't perfect because it had to be released as soon as possible to create income because when angel investors come knocking for their repayment... what can you do? Much less having money to pay for rent and living etc... Oh the start-up life.

Trendy was partially sold due to financial pressure/needs to keep things from going under. They had a few options and I think their current company is better than the other option (Zynga...). To get the investment though they had to promise a League duplicate because the investors are not that savvy and are chasing the trends. So there you go... that is what is up.

Trendy has only one record of ever paying a women less than a man for the same position and that was because the women's concept art didn't appeal to the company compared to the other applicant.

Trendy's chief financial manager is a highly paid women.

Mr. Stieglitz is an awkward person who is often terse and gives instruction to both men and women from outside the office door, he's not gender biased despite what kotaku says.

Trendy costs upwards of 400K a month to run... not that the employees working there know that.

The investments money Trendy received was used for a lot of things... such as purchasing a few other small companies to convince them to come work with Trendy. Also some of the investment money was from the sale of equity that was owned by the employees that are now supposedly so angry. So when people wave around that large investment figure and say things should be better... well not all that money was really in Trendy's own bank account. Quite a few of these over worked employees got paid out for their Equity that was sold.

Mr. Stieglitz was one of the lead engineers on the project as well as the director. He is a brilliant computer engineer and loves to write code.
He just got married in April. (To a female entrepreneur named Susan, who owns two small companies, so I don't think he has an issue with strong women).
He rarely is able to spend time with his wife because Trendy demands long work weeks from him as well as his co-workers.
He hasn't had a break from a 90 hour work week in about 6 years.
He's not even 30 years old.
He's suffers from a rare nerve condition called trigeminal neuralgia that makes it feel like you are being stabbed in the face. Look it up if you don't know how painful this is. It has one of the highest rates of suicide of most health conditions.

I think I understand why Mr. Stieglitz is stressed and has an acidic temperament.

So yep. That's all something to keep in mind when you decide how you feel about things.

Can you source any of it? Some of it may seem hard to believe...

Jer just post from your real account. Don't be a coward and make an alt/have a friend do it for you. You can defend yourself and apologize .

Also, you make a lot of inferences here that have no basis of fact (being fired / company closing do not always have a direct relation) or are just off topic.

No one cares if he has done X or has X, everyone needs to be accountable for their actions and these excuses do not justify anything. Bad money choices are not his employee's problem.

Someone who has none of that should not be treated any different for the same actions.

Edit: And no one is denying he is a smart guy, he has some great ideas but he has a lot of horrible skills like any other human. He shouldn't be in the position to do harm like he's done.

-Fin

1. If kotaku doesn't have to source things I don't either.

2. I live in Gainesville where Trendy is based. I wanted to find out is any of the Kotaku article was true, as this is a small town and slander about one of our larger companies could really hurt our economy. When Ignition shut down we lost a lot of jobs. So after some online and on foot research I found a lot of info that surprised me.

3. I'm acquainted with people who work in many of the companies in downtown Gainesville. No one at Trendy is being permitted to talk about any of this, not even Mr. Stieglitz because their PR department has banned answering anything on this issue. So I'm not going to tell any names and get people in trouble. Lets just say some people took lies to Kotaku and some people brought the truth to me once they realized someone wanted to hear it. Also much of this can be documented on the internet such as his past work and so on... or his wife's business info on the web.

Also you can email and ask questions of the employees about some of this info I've spoken about, as not all of it is relevant to the PR ban. Ask them things like do you have a high paid female financial office/executive who makes more than almost anyone else at the company working at Trendy. See what they tell you.

1. If kotaku doesn't have to source things I don't either.

2. I live in Gainesville where Trendy is based. I wanted to find out is any of the Kotaku article was true, as this is a small town and slander about one of our larger companies could really hurt our economy. When Ignition shut down we lost a lot of jobs. So after some online and on foot research I found a lot of info that surprised me.

3. I'm acquainted with people who work in many of the companies in downtown Gainesville. No one at Trendy is being permitted to talk about any of this, not even Mr. Stieglitz because their PR department has banned answering anything on this issue. So I'm not going to tell any names and get people in trouble. Lets just say some people took lies to Kotaku and some people brought the truth to me once they realized someone wanted to hear it. Also much of this can be documented on the internet such as his past work and so on... or his wife's business info on the web.

Also you can email and ask questions of the employees about some of this info I've spoken about, as not all of it is relevant to the PR ban. Ask them things like do you have a high paid female financial office/executive who makes more than almost anyone else at the company working at Trendy. See what they tell you.

I can't say I can't believe you, because I do. I'll take your word on it, and as it seems, this would affect you and anyone else living in Gainesville, Florida.

Thank you for bringing this information forward. I guess all we can do is sit and wait and see what happens.

So I'm not going to tell any names and get people in trouble. Lets just say some people took lies to Kotaku and some people brought the truth to me once they realized someone wanted to hear it.

That's funny Jer because I heard a lot of these accusations in 2011 to recently, they just hadn't built up to this level of stress that it overflows to the media. I heard all of the things he did minus the hiring women at 10k less part. I do not believe they were lying especially if they are ready to report any information to that idft or w/e organization.

What I have a hard time believing is that these 9+ guys would come to you of all people Mr. Unknown and tell YOU they were lying. Seems legit.

-Fin

That's funny Jer because I heard a lot of these accusations in 2011 to recently, they just hadn't built up to this level of stress that it overflows to the media. I heard all of the things he did minus the hiring women at 10k less part. I do not believe they were lying especially if they are ready to report any information to that idft or w/e organization.

What I have a hard time believing is that these 9+ guys would come to you of all people Mr. Unknown and tell YOU they were lying. Seems legit.

-Fin

I don't think it's Jeremy, pv_Finally. It would make sense as to why no response has been given by any TE employee; PR department being typical PR department. I'm sure that they monitor their web activity, and they probably are watching them like hawks. If Jeremy really was Pidget, I'm sure he would have been found out already and "Pidget" would no longer be responding, nor have been after the account being created.

But, it could also make sense if it was Jeremy. I, and probably many others as well, didn't know about Jeremy's condition. And honestly, how many employees would have told these things to someone they kind of know, but don't fully know? It seems unlikely, but anything is possible.

It's 50/50 either way, I'll be waiting for a response from TE.

I don't think it's Jeremy, pv_Finally. It would make sense as to why no response has been given by any TE employee; PR department being typical PR department. I'm sure that they monitor their web activity, and they probably are watching them like hawks. If Jeremy really was Pidget, I'm sure he would have been found out already and "Pidget" would no longer be responding, nor have been after the account being created.

But, it could also make sense if it was Jeremy. I, and probably many others as well, didn't know about Jeremy's condition. And honestly, how many employees would have told these things to someone they kind of know, but don't fully know? It seems unlikely, but anything is possible.

It's 50/50 either way, I'll be waiting for a response from TE.

Its very pro Jer and knows a lot of information that isn't too public. And appeared recently. I doubt some random person from the "small" 150-250 thousand city really cares about a small 45 (fluffed count?) person business that much.

Ie . its either Jer or a close friend/wife/family

Beside that fact, He is president and we do not know of he really is in charge of personal or not. He can easily bipass any PR block he desires because that has been his attitude the whole time. He has been unaccountable for his actions since the start.

-Fin

Perhaps it's time for us to be up-front about who we are.

I'm Andy. I'm a 39-year old database admin and systems analyst from Ohio who's been playing DD since Super Bowl Sunday of 2012 and has been moderately active on the forums since last summer. I have no biases toward or against anyone involved in this thread.

Anyone else? Some of you seem to claim to know a whole lot about the situation. Care to share why?

I'm Kriptini. I work for a hard drive company and I think it's hilarious that this thread is 14 pages in and people still think that this issue is their business.

I have been checking this thread, numerous times daily, since it began. I have not posted in it, however, prior to today. I agree it's best to let the dust settle. Not to mention, as soon as the story broke: it was clear that Trendy would put a lock on employees discussing the matter. We will get no official response anytime soon, as distressing as it is. So the best we can do is assume, and assumptions alone can't lead to facts. That being said...

It's understandable that people are so invested in this matter/thread. We all love Trendy; it's why we're active members of the forum. When a company you love, and have invested so much time and emotion into, comes to an absolute stand-still: you're going to get uppity. I agree that it's not fair to demonize Jeremy, however, and many of the things people have said about him are far too drastic. Every story like this is going to contain both truths and exaggerations; we don't know which level each is at currently.

But regardless of any issues pertaining to him: it is clear, without question, that there have been issues at Trendy for a while. Ones which negatively impacted the work environment for many. Escalating over time, issues which have now come to a head. There has been irreparable damage to their reputation with this story, which is bad. But there will hopefully be a turnaround in some of the environmental and work issues that needed it. Which is a silver lining, at least.

DunDef is a masterpiece. It has brought joy to so many; quite a few of us consider it our favorite modern videogame. Jeremy was a passionate champion for the project from its infancy, a gifted engineer, and deserves thanks for bringing it to life. As does everyone who has worked on the game in its life cycle. This doesn't excuse any possible negative acts by people involved, it merely supports the positives I know to be true.

The few folks I've come to know at Trendy, past and present, are wonderful people. I will continue to support their company. I do not know Jeremy, we have never even spoken, and so therefore I cannot speak to the content of his character. I assume, like any of us, he has his share of both positive and negative traits. Let's hope that the company will fairly weight both in whatever decisions have been made and continue to be made. The objectivity we would all hope for in life.

I agree. I can't say I believe everything that was said. It's hard when its just pointing fingers at one another.

My name is Elijah. Im 30 years old and I work as a projectionist at a movie theatre. I started playing Dungeon defenders when it was originally released for android (which i think was back in spring of 2011). I became an active member of the forums early january 2012 when I lost my old job.

I have opinions of people in all areas of this forum because I am not a robot, but I also have the wisdom to not let them supersede my rationality.

OMG!! that guy (Stieglitz) is the reason trendy was so focus on this pvp trend??..... am not looking forward to the game as much as I used to any more =/

OMG!! that guy (Stieglitz) is the reason trendy was so focus on this pvp trend??..... am not looking forward to the game as much as I used to any more =/

To the people who want to keep this thread alive: The quoted post is the primary demographic of DD. Have fun chasing away Trendy's customers~!

Well, seems i was right a long time ago. DD2 is a LoL copycat. Last words from me on these forums.

After reading the Kotaku article i'm done with Trendy games.

That Stieglitz guy .... phew ... i feel sad for the employees.

Oh, almost forgot ... delete me as beta tester.

Well, seems i was right a long time ago. DD2 is a LoL copycat. Last words from me on these forums.

After reading the Kotaku article i'm done with Trendy games.

That Stieglitz guy .... phew ... i feel sad for the employees.

Oh, almost forgot ... delete me as beta tester.

All based off an article, that is what you want to happen? No one here can 100% sure that this is true; some of it could be, but just as much, if not more, could be lies. Kotaku isn't even reliable for information, and considering that they were the first ones to get any information about it, it just has to make you wonder.

Reddit got involved as well, and apparently they have confirmed someone who was with TE and put a little title next to him/her.

I'm honestly taking this with a grain of salt, because, face it, it's Kotaku. This kind of article is damaging to a oompany, especially an Indie one. Not playing their game or buying anything from them anymore will not help; The employees at TE who work hard to develop, create, and talk on the forums once and a while will be out of jobs.

Honestly, don't let this one person be the determining factor between you never giving Dungeon Defenders II a chance. It's kind of silly, don't you think? Not to mention Stieglitz has stepped down from DDII, so he really doesn't have a say in what goes on.

All based off an article, that is what you want to happen? No one here can 100% sure that this is true; some of it could be, but just as much, if not more, could be lies. Kotaku isn't even reliable for information, and considering that they were the first ones to get any information about it, it just has to make you wonder.

Reddit got involved as well, and apparently they have confirmed someone who was with TE and put a little title next to him/her.

I'm honestly taking this with a grain of salt, because, face it, it's Kotaku. This kind of article is damaging to a oompany, especially an Indie one. Not playing their game or buying anything from them anymore will not help; The employees at TE who work hard to develop, create, and talk on the forums once and a while will be out of jobs.

Honestly, don't let this one person be the determining factor between you never giving Dungeon Defenders II a chance. It's kind of silly, don't you think? Not to mention Stieglitz has stepped down from DDII, so he really doesn't have a say in what goes on.

Personally, I feel that this article must be quite accurate seeing that trendy hasn't deleted it yet. Previously, anyone who spoke out against trendy would get their post or thread deleted in a couple of hours or less.

I sincerely hope that Trendy starts over completely on dd2, trashing the moba idea and the new artstyle. The original tower defense dd is what everyone was waiting for, and the idea for a moba has really driven away the die-hard fans. Also, I've played the beta version and honestly, from the perspective of a tower defense fan and a moba newbie, it was pretty lousy.

Personally, I feel that this article must be quite accurate seeing that trendy hasn't deleted it yet. Previously, anyone who spoke out against trendy would get their post or thread deleted in a couple of hours or less.

I sincerely hope that Trendy starts over completely on dd2, trashing the moba idea and the new artstyle. The original tower defense dd is what everyone was waiting for, and the idea for a moba has really driven away the die-hard fans. Also, I've played the beta version and honestly, from the perspective of a tower defense fan and a moba newbie, it was pretty lousy.

I'm not a big fan of the MOBA anyway, and am waiting for TD portion of DDII. The MOBA, in my mind, feels rushed and, as some would put it, "So easy a caveman could do it." Scrapping the whole thing though, no. They need to re-work it, but not scrap it entirely.

Like I said, while some of it could be true, just as much if not more could be false. Also, seeing as TE did get a huge investment, they pretty much control what TE can and cannot say/do. Why do you think it's 15 pages in and there's not one Trendy Employee response. I feel as though, this topic will most likely never see an official response of any kind, and they're waiting for it to die out. But hey, let's hope I get proven wrong.

I'm not a big fan of the MOBA anyway, and am waiting for TD portion of DDII. The MOBA, in my mind, feels rushed and, as some would put it, "So easy a caveman could do it."

This was pretty much the whole point of this MOBA. Making it simple was their goal, which I think has set it apart from others just because it is friendlier to newbies and easy to pick up and play. Id rather play co-op but the moba is pretty fun. I think theyve worked on it too much to scrap too and it definitely needs some work, but I hope they keep simplicity.

I think Trendy's silence is proof that there is some truth to all this mess but it still seems very lopsided.
If it all is true: Being "done with Trendy games" also isnt going to help the abused employees, it will hurt them more.

I seriously think all that can be said on this topic has been said in the last 15 pages unless Trendy finally wants to tell us something.

This was pretty much the whole point of this MOBA. Making it simple was their goal, which I think has set it apart from others just because it is friendlier to newbies and easy to pick up and play. Id rather play co-op but the moba is pretty fun.

To me.. MOBA is really hard to pick up and play as newb to it.. I've tried and tried for a long time to do that but its more frustrating then fun. But that's just my experience with it. Though I have heard a lot of people tell me it was hard to pick up in the first place before I started.. Not every game type is for everyone.