So Trendy Entertainment seems to be a terrible place to work.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This brings out the background behind a lot of the horrible design choices and lack of proper balancing that led me to stop playing DD1 (and why I took no interest in DD2). Stieglitz running Trendy as his own little misogynist fiefdom is frankly disgusting, and explains the weirdly ~sexy~ approach that was taken for the female characters. I really hope you guys can get a better boss somehow.

Jeremy, go away. The game development industry is tough enough without toxic slimeballs pulling the strings.

[QUOTE]yeah, i dont care if i get kicked out of the beta [...][/QUOTE]

Again, you will not be punished for giving your opinion, but please give your opinions within the bounds of the forum rules e.g. no cursing/circumventing curse filter/etc.

some of the stuff could be false but like the women being paid less could be because the female was less qualified also the skype chat could have honestly just been typed up and made it quoted from stieglitz but im not denying the entire article

It doesn't sound like it wasn't an isolated incident though.

Honestly, the whole LoL thing really pisses me off too.

All they had to do for DD2 was basically take DD1 and fix all the mistakes and add a few new things:

-balance the drops
-balance the heroes for dps better
-balance weapon/pet damage
-more weapon variety
-a few new towers and abilities for each character
-a few new classes
-other minor tweaks

that's it. I would have paid $60 day 1 for that.

I think it would be best for everyone involved if Jeremy just sold Trendy and DD to someone that cares.

It doesn't sound like it wasn't an isolated incident though.

Honestly, the whole LoL thing really pisses me off too.

All they had to do for DD2 was basically take DD1 and fix all the mistakes and add a few new things:

-balance the drops
-balance the heroes for dps better
-balance weapon/pet damage
-more weapon variety
-a few new towers and abilities for each character
-a few new classes
-other minor tweaks

that's it. I would have paid $60 day 1 for that.

I think it would be best for everyone involved if Jeremy just sold Trendy and DD to someone that cares.

I completely agree with the LoL thing pissing you off I hate Mobas more than anyone but I mean I can see why theyd pick that without coping LoL because if you have a Cod Like MultiPlayer Than Level 1's Will have no chance of ever leveling up. And besides a Cod multiplayer and Moba what other pvp options are there?

I completely agree with the LoL thing pissing you off I hate Mobas more than anyone but I mean I can see why theyd pick that without coping LoL because if you have a Cod Like MultiPlayer Than Level 1's Will have no chance of ever leveling up. And besides a Cod multiplayer and Moba what other pvp options are there?

Some unique and exciting ideas that were apparently thrown out I'd guess. I never did fully understand why they didn't come up with a cool way to integrate the towers somehow into pvp.

Some unique and exciting ideas that were apparently thrown out I'd guess. I never did fully understand why they didn't come up with a cool way to integrate the towers somehow into pvp.

Maybe Gokarts? :p hahhaha

I doubt he could do that even if he wanted to now. From what I can tell, Trendy isn't even an indie company anymore. Just did some research about the 18million dollar investment and found this: Insight Partners Portfolio

I would bet this investment company now owns a majority of the rights when it comes to all things DD now.

"Status: Current Investment "

makes my stomach crawl the way that's phrased...

[c3;884134']what did it for me was his response to all of the questions crzyrndm, dingle, and the others posed in response to simple changes to the loot system that was clearly broken. his response to the direct question was arrogant, belligerent, and insulting to players who were frustrated with what was clearly a broken mechanic in the game.

I do not recall ever recieving such a response from any member of Trendy. Keep my name out of this please, I have no beef with Trendy.

I would bet this investment company now owns a majority of the rights when it comes to all things DD now.

That could potentially be a good thing then, they might have the power to push him out/

I do not recall ever recieving such a response from any member of Trendy. Keep my name out of this please, I have no beef with Trendy.

i never implied that you did. the response i am refering to was in one of the later DDDigests in one of the ask us anything sections. i cant remember who posed the question, but they made specific note of the suggestion you made in one of the general discussion section posts where the higher you go in waves on survival, the less effect the "go negative" function had a chance of triggering to make survival pay off.

stieglitz's answer was essentially "we are not going to look into this because changing it would have too many implications and we would rather focus our talent on our next project."

that was the point to me that confirmed concern for DD1 was lost and he was perfectly happy to have the jumbled mess that was DD, and their primary brand recognition, be exactly what it was. to add doubly to the impact it had for me, those things it would have fixed were things that would have strengthened the DD community and reduce player's reliance on questionable gear, and increased personal enjoyment for a lot of people that still wanted to play the game by not having to hit the constant brick walls that either led to quitting or hacked gear.

there has been a mountain of disappointment with trendy over the development of DD, and hearing stories like this it adds only more to frustration to know that i paid money to enable this kind of action.

This whole "controversy" is kinda disturbing and alarming. Especially that one concept art which kimmy posted. That only adds more to the whole sexist saga going down at TE. Pretty sickening.

"key thing I'm interested in is that this character be "sexy" for an robot android and thus make people a little uncomfortable."

What's wrong with that? Taking out of context sentences can make people seems to say many things that they didn't say.
The core of the accusations is certainly legitimate (employees don't risk they jobs for fun), but you can't take all of them for 100% true facts. (I'm old enough to have lived through this kind of stuff)

[c3;884134']

unfortunately, because of steam's policies, i cannot ask for a refund on the money i have spent on DD1

It's not steam policies. You'll never get a refund of a product you enjoyed because you're unhappy the way the boss treats his employees. Or I should get everything coming from China for free.

Guys, this isn't about us. If we don't like DD2, we'll play another game. That is not our lives. That is Trendy employees lives. They don't want to leave the company, so they tried to speak out to the press. I don't know how things may evolve. Usually, the boss stays and the employees leave. They knew that before talking to the press and were ready to take the risk. We can ask that they stay in the company, that Jeremy takes a couple months off, and that an assistant manager is hired to help things go back to a better place.
We can express our support to Trendy employees. Help them if anyone sees a way to do so.

But why should we complain, really?

I've read this article numerous times. If this is true, this is very concerning. I denied it all at first. Then pieces of the puzzle started to fit together. We'll just have to wait for an official response from Trendy.

If we don't see a response for this, Yeah, That could be a problem for them.

Concerns to everyone.

Sadly, bad bosses are common. A game developer with a really great idea doesn't necessarily have project management skills, the ability to lead and inspire, or in some cases, even be anything other than cruel, selfish, and relentless.

I find it to be an especially troubling kind of disappointment to learn that someone who I've rooted for to succeed may not deserve any of it. There is much more that could be said, of course. But I think we all need to step back and question whether our continued involvement on the forums is something we want.

The kind of people responsible for toxic work environments are almost never capable of fixing them.

Trendy, why so serious?

This is what happens when you give us a mode we never asked for.

If I wanted to play a MOBA I will play League of Legends. Not some half *** clone of it.

Focus on the co-op section of the game, if there is even to be a game now. DD2 co-op has my interest not some wanna be MOBA.

All up that's pretty disgusting to read those things. I'm glad I quit DD awhile back.

I posted this on the FB page, so I'll post it here again:

Hear me out, fellow DD fans. I'm also pretty shocked and appalled by this recent news, but I don't think suddenly boycotting the company and game will help the situation. Rather, that will probably make it -worse-. These are hard-working employees who probably get their motivation to continue making a kickass game in order to make us all happy. I say, let's continue to support them so they can see this through to the finish. Hopefully, the recent news will spark some sort of change, and the staff will get the respect they deserve.

tl;dr: I support the hardworking folks at Trendy, and look forward to seeing what they can put out, even under all this pressure.

I don't really know anything about Jeremy, but I will say that something always seemed a bit off or rather bothered me about the guy after constantly seeing weapons called "Jeremy's Devotion" lying everywhere during my survival runs.

How much would you sell Trendy for? I know a great team of people that would love to take over and keep DD1 ALIVE

More than any of us on the forums could muster up, I'm sure. I don't think the exact details of the deal were made public, but Trendy did receive $18 million from a venture capital firm. I wouldn't be surprised if they now have a controlling interest in Trendy and their IPs.

LOL! 'ragespy'? pr wranglings won't work.

i/we understand a hard boss who gets a solid result. stieglitz is a bully with no direction. there is already a f2p moba game that's actually huge at the moment. it's called LoL. we'll play that if that's what we want. DD is a pretty unique ip. dd2 would sell like hotcakes if it was a solid sequel. you're not going to pull any diehard moba fans in, they're already spoiled for choice (LoL, dota2, smite just off of the top of my head). ask all the wow clones how copying the market leader went for them.

as a fan of gaming i will boycott dd2. hopefully more will also. stieglitz's name will get blacklisted as a failure and will never recieve any investment money. he will never make games again, he will never have a staff to menace. i do this for the creators. the people who imagine and build the games i love.

as a fan of gaming i will boycott dd2.

This won't help Trendy employees. They need support, not rejection.

No need for us to make harsh comments or take definitive decisions today. See how Trendy react. Most of us were not planning to spend money in the moba part of the game, this won't change. The coop isn't due in the next 6 months, maybe more. We'll see then if the game is any good and if the people at Trendy are working as a team again.

No need to act like the thousands of people who boycott Electronic Arts except when they fancy one of their games.

I'm not sure which to be sickened by more, the way Stieglitz has been running Trendy, or the people in here who are automatically apologizing on his behalf, and rationalizing why this type of behavior might have been excusable. You're making up excuses and placing undue virtue on someone you don't know because you enjoy the product that the company he's running created, all so you can continue to get your tower defense on without feeling guilty. Well you should feel guilty if you're going to willfully ignore this and continue to give this company money while Stieglitz is still a part of it. No product is that good. You should also feel thoroughly ashamed if you sat in here and said anything like "Well the women must not have been as qualified.", or "I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this." I didn't like the news when I heard it either, and I dreaded the idea of not being able to buy new packs or DD2 (which I now don't care about anyway since I'm a DD fan, and not a LoL fan), but I'm not going to create a narrative of fantasies to replace the one that makes me uncomfortable. At the end of the day, there are plenty of other games to play.

I hope Trendy employees continue to come out and share their experiences with Stieglitz. It seems like they are a very hard-working and talented bunch, and they deserve much better than this. ANYONE deserves better than this, even if they aren't talented or hard-working. I normally would wait for an official response before aligning so heavily with the accusers, but it's not like there is one person saying this. It seems to have been verified across several employees, and in contrast, Stieglitz has said nothing. I'm not sure I'm interested in whatever backpedaling he's cooking up right now either. Unless it's a resignation, it's going to be inadequate.

That's the only thing that can fix this; his resignation. Otherwise this brand is permanently stigmatized in my eyes, and I'm sure in the eyes of many others. It's a shame, because I really want to support these people. I'm not giving Stieglitz another dime though.