Sign in to follow this  
Immortal-D

Anyone else really creeped out by Xbox 1?

What amazes me is that gamers seem to have overlooked the rather big brother-esque firmware support; click me!. With always online requirement, these options can not be turned off, and Microsoft has stated there is a good possibility that the console won't work at all without these 'features' enabled. Quite literally, it is always watching (which really is just as creepy as it sounds). Still though, seems innocuous enough, right? In theory, these systems will only be used for motion-based Kinect games.

At least until you check a particular patent application which is labeled as 'content distribution regulation by viewing user'. Since the A/V recognition is always on (or the console won't work at all), Kinect can determine the number of people in a room. If this exceeds some arbitrary viewing parameter for a movie or game, the media will stop playing. Similarly, a particularly DRM-happy developer could insist that Kinect check to see if the people in a room also have a copy of the game, and limit uses by that metric. Microsoft hasn't been 'good' for some years now, but this makes Sony look positively tame by comparison.

I read that the developers will have the choice if they want to use the "always online feature". I'll look around again, but I remember it came straight from a developers mouth that was working on a game for Xbox One.

If the PS4 will use any of the so called features too, i gonna upgrade my PC rather getting a console.

Either way, no corporation, company, industry, government, has a right to invade anyone's privacy under any circumstance. (Regardless of law or country, this is my personal opinion.)

I really do not like the direction that technology is going as far as privacy is concerned. Cell phones already have camera's on them that can be activated without owner knowledge, as well as the microphone, at any time by software developed by R&D departments and individuals with the know how. The last thing we need is the console and software (Game) developers trying to police the market because they can't come up with a better business model. If their losses are really that bad, they should look into Steam.

Which by the way, I don't like Steams new agreement policy that some of their hosted games/software are now "licensed" products, which means no one but the IP holders "owns" anything that is paid for. Which to me is a little more than perverse. If these companies were smart, they would make their base products their "stock" and that way anyone who buys their game gets a "share" in their company as an investor, rather than a customer they can abuse anytime they want. Stock based on "real" things tends to do a lot better than things (digital medias/services) that don't exist physically.

Anyway, back to the topic. Microsoft already has a monopoly on the PC market with their operating systems. Sure there is mac, linux, ubuntu. But no one makes their software 100% compatible for any of those because the mass market is as a majority under Windows. I think anyone who values the nature of privacy and the freedom to give your friends/perfect strangers whatever game they darn well please should not get an Xbox. I know I mentioned Steam, and its true, it has to run for some multiplayer games to work, but it doesn't have to be "online" at all if you don't want it to be. Which is a huge difference, because pretty much every single game on there still runs in offline mode.

Creeped out by Xbox One? Not at all.
Extremely disappointed and unimpressed by it? Yes.
Though you have a few things slightly off:

It does not require an always-online connection. That was debunked on the day of the conference. It does require having an internet connection in general, though, to validate games, access content and special features, etc. For all intents and purposes, the 360 did this as well. At least to enjoy it properly like anyone we know did. People without any internet access could not adequately use the last system, nor will they be able to this time. They are simply being more outright with the issue this time, sadly.

Second, the PS4 behaves in many of the same ways you described. It will automatically check for updates and apply them in the background without consent. The PS4 will judge your tastes based on content you've previously downloaded and viewed, and the PS4 will auto-download games for you without even asking. Both consoles are going for this predictive, invasive, forced nonsense. I pray there is a way to disable all automatic features on these systems, otherwise it would turn me away. I do agree that the Kinect stuff takes it further on XB1, but both systems lost me long before that came into play.

Mind you, I'm not buying either system anytime in the next year or two. Since neither one is backwards-compatible, not even with digital games: I would be spending $400+ on a launch system with maybe one or two games I'd want to play. I cannot afford nor justify that. I already have a good enough PC with Steam, and that will continue to play games fine for years to come. I also still have my 360 and PS3, both of which will be getting new titles until 2015 or so. And will be supported, connectivity-wise, for much longer.

That's the other thing which baffles me; no backward compatibility, or even an attempt at it. *Hugs his SNES & Dreamcast Emulators*

That's the other thing which baffles me; no backward compatibility, or even an attempt at it. *Hugs his SNES & Dreamcast Emulators*

It will be way to hard to allow backwards compatibility because they are moving to a new file system they are moving to x86 like PC. I would love it maybe they will do something like emulators or they will just offer the games to buy again on Xbox market or psn

I can run games from 1998 on my W7 64bit with little to no modification. They already have a huge games list for Xbox 360. Wouldn't be very hard for their professional team of programers to throw in a couple hundred lines of code that can handle the older games architectures.

I think that the xbox one sucks, especially with no "backwards compatibility". I have so much money invested in the xbox 360 that I don't want to waste it. Just imagine how much the new system is gonna cost.

The fact that most of the xboxone features would not work in countries outside the US is pretty much putting me off, the keynote kinda sucked for me since they didn't concentrate much on games:

"Xbox is about to become the new water cooler" lol

Also the fact that you have to pay to play used games sucks, I don't buy used games but I trade games with my friends and now I have to pay?

At the moment, imo PS4 is looking better, although E3 is coming in June so that will be that time people will make their decisions.

I will reserve judgement on the new systems till i learn more FACTS about the 2 machines.

As things stand I was highly UN impressed by both first showings and was not encouraged in the least to run out and buy either one.

I will learn more than make my choice.
That being said that fee nonsense for used games on the Xbox one is a MAJOR turn off for me.