Sign in to follow this  
guards1992

wanna make money ?

hi ok so i heard the new character and all new patch will not be on xbox360/ps3 but why?

on xbox 360 over 60game a day a created by player maybe if you put new dlc character new map that ar from pc you can make more money im sure about it!

so if the idea it good for you GM of DD doo it and will make more money ;)

Sony and Microsoft charge for every patch, and they can only be so big. Most of Trendy's attention is turned to DD2 ATM, and getting the new chars and maps for console would be way too much of a hassle, and it's not guaranteed they would turn a reasonable enough profit

They could at least ask Sony to enable remote play for their game.

and it's not guaranteed they would turn a reasonable enough profit

You're right. Trendy shouldn't do anything unless there is guaranteed profit involved. Of course, why bother to make a video game in the first place, then? You aren't guaranteed a profit to begin with, so I guess they should have just scrapped DD altogether.

The bottom line is: If you don't have anything for me to buy, I'm not going to buy anything from you. If there is no product from Trendy for me to purchase, then I can't buy it from them. They can't make any money unless they do some work to create a product. Put out some new weapons, new outfits, whatever. Are Sony and MS a bunch of jerks who want their share of the profit pie? Well, sure. But Ronimo put out DLC (free for some reason; I would have paid for it personally). So has Housemarque for a relatively unknown Dead Nation (DN got several patches, actually, and Housemarque can't have that much more money than Trendy).

I've said it time and again: To make money you have to spend money. If Trendy wants to play with the big boys then they need to put out new material that is good quality that I will want to buy. Since they don't have anything else for me to purchase, they aren't getting any more of my money. It is simple economics.

and it's not guaranteed they would turn a reasonable enough profit

You're right. Trendy shouldn't do anything unless there is guaranteed profit involved. Of course, why bother to make a video game in the first place, then? You aren't guaranteed a profit to begin with, so I guess they should have just scrapped DD altogether.

The bottom line is: If you don't have anything for me to buy, I'm not going to buy anything from you. If there is no product from Trendy for me to purchase, then I can't buy it from them. They can't make any money unless they do some work to create a product. Put out some new weapons, new outfits, whatever. Are Sony and MS a bunch of jerks who want their share of the profit pie? Well, sure. But Ronimo put out DLC (free for some reason; I would have paid for it personally). So has Housemarque for a relatively unknown Dead Nation (DN got several patches, actually, and Housemarque can't have that much more money than Trendy).

I've said it time and again: To make money you have to spend money. If Trendy wants to play with the big boys then they need to put out new material that is good quality that I will want to buy. Since they don't have anything else for me to purchase, they aren't getting any more of my money. It is simple economics.

The underlying problem is that Trendy cannot put out any more content without patching it to fix bugs. They poured their heart and soul into Dungeon Defenders, and they just need to move on. There is not much more profit for it anymore, and I'm glad they've realized that.

Now, on the other hand, there are a few things that Trendy should address (mostly for PC, but a few things for console as well) and they should gather the community for input on "Most needed fix" to "least needed fix". Divide it into the top 10 things for both sides, and then try and resolve the issues.

Probably a forgotten item, but Trendy should have merchandise available to purchase soon...I hope. I haven't heard anything lately about it, and I'm going to inquire after writing this (as I want to buy some Dungeon Defenders related materials).

Console is pretty much over with. The only thing left to do is to farm and get better gear. That's what DD has always been about, and I sure hope DDII is different in this aspect. Since it will (practically) be an MMORPG, I hope they add quests (or something similar) for some small rewards (Mana, items, clothing, dyes, etc...).

" You have to spend money to make money." <--- They have, and now it's time to spend even more money and make even more money.

Fun discussion

I would agree, except that there is a live market right now that is leaving DD (consoles). There isn't anything new for people to do or buy. If there had been, I'm sure more levels or outfit or weapon/pet packs or whatever would have been purchased. At this late point in the game, Trendy has probably lost too many console DD players. They have moved onto something else while wait for fixes or new content. Instead, Trendy focuses on the PC, putting out new content regularly, and alienating a huge gameplay market. I am not going to buy 3 gaming computers for the purpose of playing DD together with my kids, so I will not purchase the PC product. I have a PS3 primarily for gaming (and for Netflix streaming -- 90%/5%).

I wouldn't have any issue with Trendy focusing on DD II, except, well, they are still putting out new content for the PC for the original DD. If DD II is where the money is, quit dividing your time to satisfy one particular market and put everything into the new game. It is very annoying to have bugs that need fixing on consoles and to see a new map or character spring up for DD for PC. Pick one or the other -- either work on DD II and make it the best it can be, or add more to DD so that everyone can enjoy. By the time DD II comes out, console players, if the console is even supported for DD II, won't put their money into Trendy's game because, as we've just seen it happen, Trendy will run away with and leave a buggy title with 80% less support for console users than their prized PC market.

Again, that's just bad business; unless Trendy believes the PC market is more cost effective (it is), but more importantly, MORE PROFITABLE than consoles (I doubt that, especially with PC content being free much of the time). It is disappointing because newer titles like Pinball Arcade have already gone through several patches (and FarSight Studios, just like Trendy, would have had to pay for each of those fixes and they managed to do it), and older titles like Dead Nation with a smaller fanbase also have more patches (and Housemarque is not a household name). I like Ronimo's Awesomenauts game, but it suffers like DD does of the designers creating more and more free PC product instead of taking care of the console community and tapping into the money market there.

I would agree, except that there is a live market right now that is leaving DD (consoles). There isn't anything new for people to do or buy. If there had been, I'm sure more levels or outfit or weapon/pet packs or whatever would have been purchased. At this late point in the game, Trendy has probably lost too many console DD players. They have moved onto something else while wait for fixes or new content. Instead, Trendy focuses on the PC, putting out new content regularly, and alienating a huge gameplay market. I am not going to buy 3 gaming computers for the purpose of playing DD together with my kids, so I will not purchase the PC product. I have a PS3 primarily for gaming (and for Netflix streaming -- 90%/5%).

I wouldn't have any issue with Trendy focusing on DD II, except, well, they are still putting out new content for the PC for the original DD. If DD II is where the money is, quit dividing your time to satisfy one particular market and put everything into the new game. It is very annoying to have bugs that need fixing on consoles and to see a new map or character spring up for DD for PC. Pick one or the other -- either work on DD II and make it the best it can be, or add more to DD so that everyone can enjoy. By the time DD II comes out, console players, if the console is even supported for DD II, won't put their money into Trendy's game because, as we've just seen it happen, Trendy will run away with and leave a buggy title with 80% less support for console users than their prized PC market.

Again, that's just bad business; unless Trendy believes the PC market is more cost effective (it is), but more importantly, MORE PROFITABLE than consoles (I doubt that, especially with PC content being free much of the time). It is disappointing because newer titles like Pinball Arcade have already gone through several patches (and FarSight Studios, just like Trendy, would have had to pay for each of those fixes and they managed to do it), and older titles like Dead Nation with a smaller fanbase also have more patches (and Housemarque is not a household name). I like Ronimo's Awesomenauts game, but it suffers like DD does of the designers creating more and more free PC product instead of taking care of the console community and tapping into the money market there.

I don't want to come off ignorantly, but you really need to do some research before you start making accusations like that (as I have highlighted in red). I'm going to take the time and write this answer out as clearly and neatly as possible, while still making all my points valid. Let's start, shall we?

[QUOTE]Instead, Trendy focuses on the PC, putting out new content regularly, and alienating a huge gameplay market.[/QUOTE]

To point out first of all, Trendy has virtually stopped working on Dungeon Defenders, and have been putting most of their efforts towards the upcoming Dungeon Defenders II. There hasn't been regular content for a while now, and patches are all but gone at this point. Most, if not all, of the content being released now is by modders who want to make the game better for everyone.

[QUOTE]I wouldn't have any issue with Trendy focusing on DD II, except, well, they are still putting out new content for the PC for the original DD. If DD II is where the money is, quit dividing your time to satisfy one particular market and put everything into the new game. It is very annoying to have bugs that need fixing on consoles and to see a new map or character spring up for DD for PC.[/QUOTE]

Trust me when I say this, Trendy tried everything to fix the current existing problems on the console. They aren't a huge team, and by no means are they rich. It was a huge risk for them to even bring Dungeon Defenders to console, and they still did that. They even patched the game, and brought The Lost Eternia Shards to console as well. I've never understood why console players are still so ungrateful after everything Trendy has done for them.

[QUOTE]By the time DD II comes out, console players, if the console is even supported for DD II,[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be very blunt here. If Trendy doesn't bring Dungeon Defenders II to console, nothing is lost or gained except potential profits. But with Sony and Microsofts outrageous prices for a single patch is more than enough reason to avoid consoles altogether.

[QUOTE]unless Trendy believes the PC market is more cost effective (it is), but more importantly, MORE PROFITABLE than consoles (I doubt that, especially with PC content being free much of the time).[/QUOTE]

How should I argue with this. Trendy still made tons of profits off of the PC side. That's kind of how they could afford to patch the console side anyway. PC was simply more profitable because fees for patching were practically non-existent and they could afford to have a character be free for 2 weeks, and then make it $3.99 (or was it $4.99?) after the two weeks were up. They still made quite a bit of sales selling their characters and maps.

I feel I've spent enough of my time writing this and trying to point it all out and explain it. If you don't read this, I couldn't care less honestly. Just do the community a favor and just don't complain about it anymore. It's been a subject ever since support for console stopped, and oh boy, were there a lot of the same threads with the same [essentially] words explaining/complaining about the same thing you have here. Now, either continue playing Dungeon Defenders on the PS3, or buy a computer and experience the same thing, except better. You can buy 1 computer, and then hook it up to your television and play with your 2 children as well. You just need to either buy 2 xbox controllers, or download and install a certain software to get PS3 controllers to work on the PC.

Have a nice day,
Onion Knight

Since you were so kind as to piecemeal my comment into smaller topics, I shall do the same. "Let's start, shall we?"

To point out first of all, Trendy has virtually stopped working on Dungeon Defenders, and have been putting most of their efforts towards the upcoming Dungeon Defenders II. There hasn't been regular content for a while now, and patches are all but gone at this point. Most, if not all, of the content being released now is by modders who want to make the game better for everyone.

My bad. On April 23rd I saw on DD's Facebook page that they were revealing more DD DLC. No mention of it being for consoles. I don't know if that was ever released yet or not, but if it does, then time was being split, as I said, to make more product for the PC community when there are issues with the console product. That's what I based the statement on.

Trust me when I say this, Trendy tried everything to fix the current existing problems on the console.

Proof please. This is speculation. I'm sure at least some time was alloted to see if the bugs could be easily fixed. Obviously not enough because they still persist.

They aren't a huge team, and by no means are they rich. It was a huge risk for them to even bring Dungeon Defenders to console, and they still did that. They even patched the game, and brought The Lost Eternia Shards to console as well. I've never understood why console players are still so ungrateful after everything Trendy has done for them.

It is a huge risk for any business to put their time and effort into a product and hope that people buy it. I'm estatic that there is DLC for the consoles. I would buy more if it were available. As for "everything Trendy" has done for console players -- well, if Trendy were a restaurant, the PC community would be offered the entire menu and made to the best of the restaurant's ability while consoles would be offered a small selection of the PC's menu, but it the order wouldn't be prepared correctly and take longer to get. We're both paying the money, but the PC is being taken care of better. Wouldn't you feel jilted if you ate someplace and that was the service you got? It's not wrong to complain to the server that your service is noticeably worse than the other tables.

I'm going to be very blunt here. If Trendy doesn't bring Dungeon Defenders II to console, nothing is lost or gained except potential profits. But with Sony and Microsofts outrageous prices for a single patch is more than enough reason to avoid consoles altogether.

That's right. But as you mentioned in a previous post about how this topic keeps resurfacing, I've already given examples of additional developers that have put in more patches to fix their games than Trendy. I can list them, AGAIN, if you have forgotten them. The difference is the need to satisfy the console market because it is worth billions and they want a piece of the pie with their next product. As a consumer, I would like a piece of DD II's pie (well, there really wasn't a better way to say that... yikes), but I can't if it isn't available. That is disappointing to me, so as it is often said, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." If we don't voice our opinions and concerns and let people know we want to spend our money, how is Trendy going to know?

Trendy still made tons of profits off of the PC side. That's kind of how they could afford to patch the console side anyway. PC was simply more profitable because fees for patching were practically non-existent and they could afford to have a character be free for 2 weeks

Don't do that. Don't talk to me about how much things cost and how it can't be afforded and then give away product for free. I mean, that statement makes sense, right? I get that PC updates are cheaper -- I understand that -- but if companies like Trendy or Ronimo are going to give away characters, maps, weapons, skins, etc. for free to PC, don't come back later and say that consoles are too expensive; additional money was there, but to make the PC community happier at the expense of the console market, in my opinion, is not good business. Charge across the board to PC and consoles alike, make more money, and then fix or create product for both so you can make MORE money.

I feel I've spent enough of my time writing this and trying to point it all out and explain it. If you don't read this, I couldn't care less honestly. Just do the community a favor and just don't complain about it anymore.

There's nothing that said you had to jump in and respond. That's on you. It's all about being the squeaky wheel or you won't get any grease.

download and install a certain software to get PS3 controllers to work on the PC.

I'll look into that. But you just told me to BUY A COMPUTER. That's like wanting to sit down at a restaurant and being told that you have to buy your own chair or booth to eat the food there. If someone told me that in a restaurant, I would walk away and spend my money elsewhere.

Peace.

Since you were so kind as to piecemeal my comment into smaller topics, I shall do the same. "Let's start, shall we?"

My bad. On April 23rd I saw on DD's Facebook page that they were revealing more DD DLC. No mention of it being for consoles. I don't know if that was ever released yet or not, but if it does, then time was being split, as I said, to make more product for the PC community when there are issues with the console product. That's what I based the statement on.

Trust me when I say this, Trendy tried everything to fix the current existing problems on the console.

Proof please. This is speculation. I'm sure at least some time was alloted to see if the bugs could be easily fixed. Obviously not enough because they still persist.

They aren't a huge team, and by no means are they rich. It was a huge risk for them to even bring Dungeon Defenders to console, and they still did that. They even patched the game, and brought The Lost Eternia Shards to console as well. I've never understood why console players are still so ungrateful after everything Trendy has done for them.

It is a huge risk for any business to put their time and effort into a product and hope that people buy it. I'm estatic that there is DLC for the consoles. I would buy more if it were available. As for "everything Trendy" has done for console players -- well, if Trendy were a restaurant, the PC community would be offered the entire menu and made to the best of the restaurant's ability while consoles would be offered a small selection of the PC's menu, but it the order wouldn't be prepared correctly and take longer to get. We're both paying the money, but the PC is being taken care of better. Wouldn't you feel jilted if you ate someplace and that was the service you got? It's not wrong to complain to the server that your service is noticeably worse than the other tables.

That's right. But as you mentioned in a previous post about how this topic keeps resurfacing, I've already given examples of additional developers that have put in more patches to fix their games than Trendy. I can list them, AGAIN, if you have forgotten them. The difference is the need to satisfy the console market because it is worth billions and they want a piece of the pie with their next product. As a consumer, I would like a piece of DD II's pie (well, there really wasn't a better way to say that... yikes), but I can't if it isn't available. That is disappointing to me, so as it is often said, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." If we don't voice our opinions and concerns and let people know we want to spend our money, how is Trendy going to know?

Trendy still made tons of profits off of the PC side. That's kind of how they could afford to patch the console side anyway. PC was simply more profitable because fees for patching were practically non-existent and they could afford to have a character be free for 2 weeks

Don't do that. Don't talk to me about how much things cost and how it can't be afforded and then give away product for free. I mean, that statement makes sense, right? I get that PC updates are cheaper -- I understand that -- but if companies like Trendy or Ronimo are going to give away characters, maps, weapons, skins, etc. for free to PC, don't come back later and say that consoles are too expensive; additional money was there, but to make the PC community happier at the expense of the console market, in my opinion, is not good business. Charge across the board to PC and consoles alike, make more money, and then fix or create product for both so you can make MORE money.

I feel I've spent enough of my time writing this and trying to point it all out and explain it. If you don't read this, I couldn't care less honestly. Just do the community a favor and just don't complain about it anymore.

There's nothing that said you had to jump in and respond. That's on you. It's all about being the squeaky wheel or you won't get any grease.

download and install a certain software to get PS3 controllers to work on the PC.

I'll look into that. But you just told me to BUY A COMPUTER. That's like wanting to sit down at a restaurant and being told that you have to buy your own chair or booth to eat the food there. If someone told me that in a restaurant, I would walk away and spend my money elsewhere.

Peace.
In what world would you want to give console more dlcs. 12% of the players are xbox and 9% ps3, also a lot of console players have said that they won't be buying anymore of Trendys games. So then they say make more dlcs to gain maybe 10% more players for future games when they pay there butt off to get a bunch more dlcs, that doesn't sound like a amazing buisness plan in my opion, and this is from a console player. I completly understand why they can't give us more content, I mean sure they could of tested Sky city more before they released it, but I just don't get it why people who have still played for hrs more than they did other games and they still complain just because the're jealos of PC.

Peace.

Alright, with the new move to the new forums (the one we are using right now) most of the DunDef Digests have been lost, or deleted. I found a few, but nothing that lead to what I was exactly looking for.

Anyhow, everything was up in the air after Shards IV was released. Sky City was buggy as could be (and still is) and it was around this time that someone asked the question if there was going to be a last Console patch (it could have been, but I'm not entirely sure anymore.). Jeremy said maybe, and then (again, I forgot) someone made a "Console wish list" and we put down what we would like to get fixed. Skip ahead a month or two, and in the next Digest, Hitmonchan (iamisom) wrote that they were indeed working on a new console patch.

Everyone just "exploded." We were all happy, and couldn't wait until the new patch came out.

Skip ahead a month or two again...

DunDef Digest gets released. It concerns all of us console players, and they stated that they had the patch finished and sent out to SCEE and SCEA. From previous experience, we all knew this patch would take a while in the certification process. So we jump a few months ahead and we get more news saying that the SCEA people have fully released the patch to the public. North Americans were happy, and the Europeans felt like they weren't getting treated fairly (whether or not the Europe patch was finally put through and released, I have no idea).

Which brings me to the closest thing I can find that relates to this. I still clearly remember this as if it was yesterday... commandandco's thread.

Alright here, why don't you develop Dungeon Defenders and then send a patch that may, or may not fix the problems. You wouldn't know until it actually hit console goers'.

but I just don't get it why people who have still played for hrs more than they did other games and they still complain just because the're jealos of PC.

The problem for me is really because my kids can read. They are big fans of Awesomenauts and Dungeon Defenders. They read about all of the new content and ask me when they will be able to play it on the PS3. Well, they can't. I might not be quite as jaded if I hadn't already had to explain to them why Ronimo can continue to release characters for Awesomenauts for PC (for free), but they don't have any money to update consoles.