regarding splitscreen

There was already a different thread regarding split screen, and was verified as "in game" for DD2. I would like to make a suggestion on this issue. Split screen has a negative impact on grouping up with other people. adding other players actually has a negative impact because you will lose reward loot from not split screening 3 afks to get that loot. If you are going to leave split screen in for the solo players, please remove the rewards from the afk's. Myself along with MANY other players agree that playing with others is FAR more fun and entertaining. However we still often run solo because, for example, winter wonderland nmhc i get 4 coal if i solo it, or 1 if i have fun and allow others to play with me.

I dont think we should have to choose between having fun, or 4x efficiency in farming. I'm not against solo play at all, sometimes I do actually want to play alone. However I shouldnt get a gigantic massive bonus for soloing because it makes me want to never play with others, which can be boring, which makes me just not wanna play.

Community feedback would be very appreciated on this, I wanna see/hear from you all!

This isn't a simple issue. There are many people on either side of the spectrum. I myself love the ability to throw in alts to get additional rewards. If I can build it, why shouldn't I be able to instead of running the same map 4 times for the same amount of rewards? The free to play model already offers the opportunity to play with a lot more people. Also, I don't think split screen has been confirmed yet as far as I know. If you have a link, I would appreciate it.

Split screen has not been confirmed for DD2 from what I know. (There was a thread saying it was, but it was a mistake)

Con : People use split screen just for loot. Less multiplayer games. When I create a multiplayer game, I often get someone to split screen and afk in it. That's not fun.

Pro : Obviously, it allows several players on the same computer, which is fun.

Compromise: Allow split screen for 2 players maximum? (do someone really use more?) Only one reward per account?

• 7 months later...
Split screen has not been confirmed for DD2 from what I know. (There was a thread saying it was, but it was a mistake)

Con : People use split screen just for loot. Less multiplayer games. When I create a multiplayer game, I often get someone to split screen and afk in it. That's not fun.

Compromise: Allow split screen for 2 players maximum? (do someone really use more?) Only one reward per account?

A good compromise would be only allow split screening on the Open server and not the Ranked server. That way people who like split screening can stay away from everyone else trying to actually have fun in the online version without split screeners inflating the economy with loot they shouldn't have actually earned.

This isn't a simple issue. There are many people on either side of the spectrum.

I agree.

I do like the ideas for a compromise and it would be great to hear from more people about the subject.

What about if you keep split screen but there is no benefit to it? No increased loot for anyone and no doubling up on rewards?

On Xbox Live for some games you can have a guest play along but it doesn't benefit the main account for what the guest does with the exception of an extra player on your team. I think it should play the same and there should be an icon on a player if they have a guest on split screen. Yea sure they could get the exp for that character but other than that I think the mob count should still count the player but the loot shouldn't reflect the increase. So the host would ultimately have the decision of if they want a split screen there or not and if someone has a friend playing they could just host their own game for others who don't care to join.

So my idea would be summarized as followed:

Pros of split screen:
-Extra player for increased Hero DPS.
-Split screen characters still get Exp.
-In Open play (not in Ranked) will split screen have full loot and reward benefits.

Cons:
-Loot is still scaled to the number of accounts, not the number of heroes active on the map.
-Enemies are still scaled to the number of heroes active.
-Any rewards gained from getting to Wave 15 in survival only is given per account, not per hero.
-Players who split screen will show it, this way hosts can decide if they want to allow it or not.

This would be the most fair way to do this, in my opinion. You still get the challenge of having four heroes (or however many heroes are active) but only accounts would be counted toward the loot. If you want to grind exp, this would be helpful but it wouldn't allow one player to farm massive amounts of loot and "cheat" the game.

The only downside in my opinion on not allowing a splitscreen player to get a map reward is if you're playing with a friend. I know one of my friends comes over and we both hop on DD on my computer and we enjoy having a blast.

How about a compromise?

Only the Main player and the 2nd player (a splitscreener) get the reward, and the rest of the other splitscreeners don't get a reward? I find this better imo, rather than tossing it all out completely.

What about if you keep split screen but there is no benefit to it? No increased loot for anyone and no doubling up on rewards?

On Xbox Live for some games you can have a guest play along but it doesn't benefit the main account for what the guest does with the exception of an extra player on your team. I think it should play the same and there should be an icon on a player if they have a guest on split screen. Yea sure they could get the exp for that character but other than that I think the mob count should still count the player but the loot shouldn't reflect the increase. So the host would ultimately have the decision of if they want a split screen there or not and if someone has a friend playing they could just host their own game for others who don't care to join.

So my idea would be summarized as followed:

Pros of split screen:
-Extra player for increased Hero DPS.
-Split screen characters still get Exp.
-In Open play (not in Ranked) will split screen have full loot and reward benefits.

Cons:
-Loot is still scaled to the number of accounts, not the number of heroes active on the map.
-Enemies are still scaled to the number of heroes active.
-Any rewards gained from getting to Wave 15 in survival only is given per account, not per hero.
-Players who split screen will show it, this way hosts can decide if they want to allow it or not.

This would be the most fair way to do this, in my opinion. You still get the challenge of having four heroes (or however many heroes are active) but only accounts would be counted toward the loot. If you want to grind exp, this would be helpful but it wouldn't allow one player to farm massive amounts of loot and "cheat" the game.

I guess the pet reward isn't so important at the end of all the waves. I still thinking the loot increases shouldn't be included though. Most of the time the pet I got from the survival waves were crappy anyway and people generally give them away, or at least people I played with did. Yeah that's not a bad compromise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why not make it to where the system can recognize AFK players to prevent players , if they dont move around enough and dont get enough kills or something like that ( I know it would probably be harder than that ) then it marks them for AFK and no extra reward . only problem would be people figuring out the requirement using them to the bare minimum and then stopping

• 2 weeks later...
As someone who plays local split screen on PC heres my thoughts.

The suggestions most have made above all assume that all split screen is used for is for personal benefit in levelling other characters, forgetting that a lot of people actually use it for its intended purpose - local couch coop.

I have asked in other threads if split screen will be in DD2 as for me and my girlfriend, if it's not, a customer will be lost.

Banning split screen from ranked, preventing more than one char from gaining bonuses and loot, you may as well not have the feature in the first place. And if that feature doesn't exist, you're going to alienate a while swathe of existing, loyal players.

I think it would be nice for the splitscreen mode if you get a score point (from killing and other action while playing) and getting the end bonuses from a map by the rank of your score. At least the people who just stay passive in a map would not receive loot but just a little exp while the best player will get the best loot. This will boost also the number af active player in a ranked match and will let the one who wanna play in locale with 3 more people easily enjoy the game. I too have got lots of fun while playing DD1 on my pc with two other friends in private match. The 4 players split is a must if you want to enjoy the game with friend without yelling srategies or insults in a mic.

• 1 year later...

@Ryzours quote:

I think a better version of your compromise would be that there is a 2 player maximum for splitscreen, unless it is a private match, then it should be up to 4 like the first game.