Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

Help make DD2 cooperative amazing! (Co-op survey No. 1)

Help improve our cooperative tower defense mode by filling out this survey. Plus, you can win a DD2 beta code for filling it out!

We can't wait to hear from you. Together, we can make DD2 co-op amazing.

What questions would you like to see in future surveys?

Just filled it out.Maybe you could take ideas from the suggestoins side of the forums, and ask people in a poll if they like that idea.

If I may make a suggestion, questions such as number 6 could possibly have a 'Mixed' option for those who don't feel strongly one way or the other. I really can't say 'yes' or 'no' because reasons would have me settled in more of a grey area. Also, a 'Why?' text box is always nice to add a little more detail!

But overall it's a very nice survey. And yeah, asking about various suggestions that have been made is always a nice way to go :)

Some of those questions would have benefited from an explanation area. Best example for me was the question relating to enemies who can effect towers, which IMO 100% depends on the effect.

Using DD1 examples: Spiders slowed your towers with their webs, it took a little more thought to beat them but in no way restricted how you could build. I personally loved this enemy and what it did for the game at the time.
On the other hand, djinn and their desummon mechanic significantly limited how maps were built. The change from expansive to concentrated building after shards 2 release has never been resolved. You could be so much more creative before this was introduced...

Therefore my answer was no, because if I have to choose between none and restrictive BS like that again, I'm taking none!

Some of those questions would have benefited from an explanation area. Best example for me was the question relating to enemies who can effect towers, which IMO 100% depends on the effect.

Using DD1 examples: Spiders slowed your towers with their webs, it took a little more thought to beat them but in no way restricted how you could build. I personally loved this enemy and what it did for the game at the time.
On the other hand, djinn and their desummon mechanic significantly limited how maps were built. The change from expansive to concentrated building after shards 2 release has never been resolved. You could be so much more creative before this was introduced...

Therefore my answer was no, because if I have to choose between none and restrictive BS like that again, I'm taking none!

Agreed on this, Sharken had a similar effect at first and gave rise to minion walls instead of real walls. But this can partly be blamed on the lack of target priority for towers ignoring Sharken in favor of some Goblin or Ogre. Nowadays they are much less of an issue because they simply die in the crossfire most of time.

This is the grey area I was talking about.

I liked the challenge they presented individually. They each had a flavor that you had to work around. I remember the first time on Aquanos a sharken barreled past our barriers. We were freaking out and intercepting them all over the place. It was fun.

All at once? Nope. Hated it. Restricted creativity too much.

But giving each 'campaign' setting its own unique enemy that requires a little tweaking to beat isn't a bad thing at all.

I asked for most of the original towers to return, but only once they have had significant revisions.

The original towers were made prior to NM and new enemy types meaning that a lot of towers just weren't used.

Hopefully you can balance them with future content planned and enable all towers to be effective in one way or another regardless of difficulty or expansion.

I asked for most of the original towers to return, but only once they have had significant revisions.

The original towers were made prior to NM and new enemy types meaning that a lot of towers just weren't used.

Hopefully you can balance them with future content planned and enable all towers to be effective in one way or another regardless of difficulty or expansion.

I'm pretty sure nightmare was effectively the way of resolving unintended super gear issues. They introduced a much harder difficulty after gear was received that was better than intended. I'm fairly certain they've fixed that issue and have a planned progression path for this game as far as gear goes, so all towers should be at least somewhat viable for the role they are made for. I would hope there are a lot of options. I mentioned in another post that there could be towers with similar effects, that fit into the same category. For example, a slow aura (slowing enemies) and a web trap (similar to enemy spiders in DD1) could both slow down enemies, but have different mechanics introduced as well. Thus you could replace one with the other depending on which you most prefer.

((Snip)) Using DD1 examples: Spiders slowed your towers with their webs, it took a little more thought to beat them but in no way restricted how you could build. I personally loved this enemy and what it did for the game at the time.

Agreed on this, Sharken had a similar effect at first and gave rise to minion walls instead of real walls. ((Snip))

((Snip))I liked the challenge they presented individually. They each had a flavor that you had to work around. [...]

All at once? Nope. Hated it. Restricted creativity too much.((Snip))

Pretty much what it comes down to. Each special enemy ALONE added a unique twist for any particular map. When all four special enemies roll together, with all of their strengths combined and covering some of each other's weaknesses through their combined strength, it pretty much nullified most game strategies or ways of completion. Suddenly instead of 10 or more ways to solve the same problem, there is only one or two ways. There is now an absolute best way with no wiggle room. Nightmare mode still irks in this fashion. Summoner minions? Required. EV Buff beams? Required. Don't use them? HA, better have uber over-leveled gear for that map.

What questions would you like to see in future surveys?

Questions I’d like to see asked… It’s going to be difficult for me not to answer these questions as I write them, but you didn’t ask for that, so I’ll try. :) It’s also at least somewhat challenging to avoid asking questions that, if answered yes, would require game modifications serious enough to make the options I present impossible. But I’m not a developer and I’m certainly not a developer at Trendy, so I’m just going to let it rip.

Should it be made more difficult/impossible to powerlevel a level zero character to a high level in a short period of time by using it AFK at a very difficult map (possibly by having a level cap on xp per map completed… level 2 character can’t earn more than 3,000 xp no matter what they do, etc)?

Should the game be structured in a way that encourages players to develop builders from different character classes by making certain classes’ towers difficult or impossible to use effectively at the higher levels?

Example: squire towers on insane+ on console. At a certain point in your journey through insane+, you start to realize that your squire towers (a staple of every build since level zero) can’t possibly succeed and you have no real alternative but to use huntress traps instead… using a huntress that you may or may not already have (or care to have). So the question is, should encouraging that behavior be done by design, or not?

Should a player be able to change characters in the middle of the wave?

Should there be an option not to have build phases at all (or maybe no more after the first one), in exchange for additional xp and/or the chance of a better reward?

Should the size of maps & number of crystals scale to accommodate more players? Example: With 1-4 players, the Castle Armory is as-is. With 5-8 players, there is also a downstairs/dungeon area that makes the map roughly twice as large and includes another crystal or two (with some accommodation for extra defense units, etc).

Should there be enemies introduced (perhaps on limited maps in limited situations) that cannot be killed by ranged attacks and must be killed by towers or melee?

It’s very difficult to provide gameplay that maximizes the fun of the journey from level 0 to whatever, but the DD original campaign nailed it. It was fun and rewarding to work your way through those first few maps on easy, then gradually working up on both harder difficulties on easier maps and new maps on easier difficulties. If you can keep that and add in balance at the top level, you’ve got a gem.

By balance, briefly, I mean that for the developer to have a number of hours of gear/xp grinding that would be required in order for the properly-functioning RNG (which is not random at all but is a scaling bell curve which provides a higher probability of a good reward depending on the difficulty of the map and perhaps score) to provide him with gear good enough to beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty, then work backward from there. ...I submit the idea that the Old One cannot be beaten on console on insane+, which should not occur.

Good work, as always. :)

Questions I’d like to see asked… It’s going to be difficult for me not to answer these questions as I write them, but you didn’t ask for that, so I’ll try. :) It’s also at least somewhat challenging to avoid asking questions that, if answered yes, would require game modifications serious enough to make the options I present impossible. But I’m not a developer and I’m certainly not a developer at Trendy, so I’m just going to let it rip.

Should it be made more difficult/impossible to powerlevel a level zero character to a high level in a short period of time by using it AFK at a very difficult map (possibly by having a level cap on xp per map completed… level 2 character can’t earn more than 3,000 xp no matter what they do, etc)?

Should the game be structured in a way that encourages players to develop builders from different character classes by making certain classes’ towers difficult or impossible to use effectively at the higher levels?

Example: squire towers on insane+ on console. At a certain point in your journey through insane+, you start to realize that your squire towers (a staple of every build since level zero) can’t possibly succeed and you have no real alternative but to use huntress traps instead… using a huntress that you may or may not already have (or care to have). So the question is, should encouraging that behavior be done by design, or not?

Should a player be able to change characters in the middle of the wave?

Should there be an option not to have build phases at all (or maybe no more after the first one), in exchange for additional xp and/or the chance of a better reward?

Should the size of maps & number of crystals scale to accommodate more players? Example: With 1-4 players, the Castle Armory is as-is. With 5-8 players, there is also a downstairs/dungeon area that makes the map roughly twice as large and includes another crystal or two (with some accommodation for extra defense units, etc).

Should there be enemies introduced (perhaps on limited maps in limited situations) that cannot be killed by ranged attacks and must be killed by towers or melee?

It’s very difficult to provide gameplay that maximizes the fun of the journey from level 0 to whatever, but the DD original campaign nailed it. It was fun and rewarding to work your way through those first few maps on easy, then gradually working up on both harder difficulties on easier maps and new maps on easier difficulties. If you can keep that and add in balance at the top level, you’ve got a gem.

By balance, briefly, I mean that for the developer to have a number of hours of gear/xp grinding that would be required in order for the properly-functioning RNG (which is not random at all but is a scaling bell curve which provides a higher probability of a good reward depending on the difficulty of the map and perhaps score) to provide him with gear good enough to beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty, then work backward from there. ...I submit the idea that the Old One cannot be beaten on console on insane+, which should not occur.

Good work, as always. :)
Your, alive!Nice list btw.

I want everything to be returned. But better and more effective. App towers are great, but are useless. i always thought this was a shame. All characters should be of equal strength and ability. For example the barb should not have made the dps squire useless.

I want everything to be returned. But better and more effective. App towers are great, but are useless. i always thought this was a shame. All characters should be of equal strength and ability. For example the barb should not have made the dps squire useless.

I agree. I would love to see all heroes with viable tower options. I even feel that, for balancing purposes, straight DPS characters should be done away with or there will always be an imbalance to who can DPS and who cannot.

And filled out. Of the Towers listed, the only one I didn't select is 'Ethereal Spike' (just never seemed that interesting). Feature most want to see in DD?; 'retroactive adjustment of loot when new content is added'.

And filled out. Of the Towers listed, the only one I didn't select is 'Ethereal Spike' (just never seemed that interesting). Feature most want to see in DD?; 'retroactive adjustment of loot when new content is added'.

Spike traps were one of the only ones I checked. I did the coolest towers. And spikes are the best wyvern defense on aqua. Gas, spike, and inferno eats wyverns for breakfast, lunch, second breakfast, and dinner

I think that there are a lot of questions on this thread that really should be put with suggestions threads.
A question:
Was there enough customizable features in the original Dungeon Defenders?
My answer would be no.
A question:
Did you already receive a beta code?
My answer is also no here.
One last question:
Did you use the modding tools on the computer? If so, why?
My answer is yes I did because I felt that there wasn't enough customization available.
Dungeon Defenders on the console and mobile did not have enough characters. There should have been purchasable characters. The first one that could've been put out there was the Magician's counterpart, the Adept, the Squire's counterpart, the Countess, the Huntress's counterpart the Ranger, or the Monk's counterpart, the Initiate.
To make the co-op better, maybe have one of the original four characters be able to switch to their counter part during a wave or build phase. Also, if Trendy could make this especially for co-op, everyone would definitely want to play co-op more!

I picked all the towers I used on the ps3 version back before any shards content came out. My favorite tower to use was the slice and dice and cannon ball turret. On the pc version both of those just did not hold up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Just please please please all I request Is that you do not take out the trophy system for achievements, or something like it. I love sitting back in my tavern and admiring all the work I have put into the game. Way more memorable and satisfactory being able to Visibly SEE the work you put in, not just a score :)

To make the co-op better, maybe have one of the original four characters be able to switch to their counter part during a wave or build phase. Also, if Trendy could make this especially for co-op, everyone would definitely want to play co-op more!

We already know at least 1 of the counterparts is making a comeback as their own character again. Countess is one of the 24 first heroes to be released. She's in the pre-alpha footage. She walks next to the kobold king's cart.

I would love for the players to be able to walk on defenses like last game. It was really amusing to ride on an ogre minion in DD1.