Sign in to follow this  
mkjo

Hackers Con trick?

I was running my shop partially AFK this evening.

When I checked back in I was pleased to see several toons there.

As soon as I said Hello, I was asked by one about an 'awesome' piece behind the counter.

It was an obvious hack and I said so. He asked for it so I said if he can pick it up it was his (thinking it might indicate he left it there).

He claimed that he could not pick it up and asked me to turn off the Tavern lock on pickups.

This all seemed a bot dodgy so I closed the shop, sold the item to Tavernkeeper (all 999s on a Myth helmet).

Anyone else experienced this? Is it an old con-trick? I only had about 20 kobolds on the floor.

Thats pretty scary yeah, i have heard of people doing it but i have never seen it in person so:\.

The best thing to do is to lock tavern item drops. A person can see that piece and think it is yours. They will then report you and you could get a ban from it.

The best thing to do is to lock tavern item drops. A person can see that piece and think it is yours. They will then report you and you could get a ban from it.

This. Plus, it'll prevent coming back from AFK to find a giant pile of "certified pre-owned" gear littering your forge and tavern bar. :)

Eagle45302 and ZoogieZork are right. What happened to you sounds like a con and sadly I've heard this and variations of this many times. Just lock tavern item drops. If something feels sketchy and too good to be true, it probably is.

Ive had something similar to me, again afk shop, well half afk.
Someone pointed out a hacked party hat (acc) (i think 999 damage, or even more but -1000 for tower health).
Luckily I think I avoided the con as I closed room - since I was attempting to pick it up but couldn't and didnt want to unlock with randoms in it...
Now have tav drops locked.

If someone would drop such a thing i will just unlock and throw it away. I do only sell via AFK Shop or Forums/Friendlist so i got no floor items.
Usually still have it locked. Someone once threw a piece in which said: Host is idiot.

Ive just had some guy come into my AFK shop, drop over sized weapons then said omg 'you have hacked gear im gonna report you' I closed shop straight away so i could pick up and vendor it. But now steams gone down so i gotta wait. Really annoyed! Hate hackers.