Sign in to follow this  
MadeInLondon

Experiences with hackers in public games

Oh well, haven't we all been there?
you're playing some casual publics to have some fun. A guy joins and out of curiosity you check his stats. Promptly, you spot a hacked piece. Being the caring player you are, you nicely point it out to the player, as he might not even know it's hacked.
From there on, 2 scenarios are possible:

a) The player actually did not know and is very grateful for being told. In those situations I usually give them a piece of trans I have around if it's fitting for the player. Often I also give them a quick run-down on what to look for when buying items and I always point them to the itemcheck thread.

b) The player acts unreasonably, claiming it's legit. This is usually acompanied by phrases like: "Stop crying coz you can't get better items!" - "quit the whining" - " lol you low noob". This usually ends in me reporting them.

Now today I ran into a 3rd scenario i would not have thought possible...
c) The player initially claims it's legit and even says it's itemchecked from the old forums. As I proceed to tell him why a doulbe capped supreme piece with full resists and 309 upgrades is not possible, he seems to understand. Meanwhile, another player takes on the role described in b). The conversation ends with the b)-player threatening me to (quote) "when you report him i hack u". Upon checking his steam profile, there's the not so surprising message that he's got a VAC ban on record. Hackers don't ever learn, do they?

So now I'm curious, what are you guys' experiences with confronting hackers? I assume most fall into either a) or b). Still, I'm wondering if anyone has had different encounters...

as a little bonus, the end of the conversation...

Yeah. DD1. Pretty much over for me.
(events though.. maan I'm looking forward to these :D )

cheers, MIL

Most hacker's I've met hack themselves, therefore I don't give them a second to spare and immediately report them with proof.
I've never really ran into Scenarios A or B.

There's only one scenario for me : no matter how badly the items are hacked, i simply ask them 'where did you get the item from ?'. I just do that, while reporting them. The answer isn't really relevant, i report them no matter what they answer.
However the funniest guy i've ran across, was stating he got them as drops from WW, KG etc ... but he didn't actually know the max values for trans items and he kept on saying that his items are trans capped items, unfortunately his capped value was wrong haha

oh and .. the phrase 'got it from a friend' is so wrong, a friend gave you a pet with 800.000 dmg ? or a weapon with 1.000.000 attack ?

oh and .. the phrase 'got it from a friend' is so wrong, a friend gave you a pet with 800.000 dmg ? or a weapon with 1.000.000 attack ?

Must be one hell of a friend :D
but yes, that's a very common excuse as well...

Experiences with hackers: "It's legit, it passed Item Check", "You're just jealous", "I've seen stronger". Oh, and ofc the obligatory "this is my friends account"

These guys normally aren't the best at these things...

any particular reason? I have no problem loading / viewing / displaying it on my end.

I must read it from 10cm. Sorry it is too small to read.

it is trendy fault. he can make a table of shame with all hackers, ban all reported hackers and put it on the table, so if I report someone, I want to know if he was banned or not. If I dont know it, I dont care anymore. If someone want to hack, it is his problem. I dont buy items anymore, so cubes are priceless for me.

I find the most common scenario to be A. I try to politely let them know their gear is hacked and enquire as to how they acquired such ridiculous items.

The usual answers:

- Bought from another player
- Gifted from "a friend" (Sounds way too suspicious, I usually just report them in this case)

These days, I seem find some form of hacked item in around 25% of the games I join (probably more?).

I would says there is a strong correlation between players using hacked gear and a lack of general game knowledge. I almost always check the player's gear when they show signs of poor building ability.

There's a flip side as well.

My 2.5k hero dmg EV had a pawn that's barely over 100k and some dude was screaming bloody murder that I must be hacking, and nothing I could say (or anybody else in the game at the time) could convince him otherwise. I get the feeling that he ended up reporting everybody in that full UMF run before he left in string of expletives.

I'm sure pretty much everybody who has even mid-late game gear has had a similar experience. Much respect for Trendy for having to wade through the probably thousands of bogus reports to find the actual bad guys.

Other tell-tale signs of hackers, I've found:

- They really, really, really want everybody to know how many level 100 chars they have. They simply won't shut up about it.
- Joining mid-game and saying "I build". Never asking politely.

People openly admit to hacking and having hacked items. It seems more normal than people who don't. I dont' quite remember it being anywhere as bad in the past (altough there were a lot of hackers back then already) but I at least partly blame the extremly screwed up itemization and item progression for people feeling the need to actually resort to these things in a non competitive environment.

Hey at least there is a reporting option/feature on the site. I've played games where you just have to deal with the hackers or that the GMs don't care or respond in time.

As for the "screwed up itemization" you don't have to have a full ULT set with maxed damage to progress, a trans set and 4000 damage is enough to take out everything, getting lucky with armor that's sup or ult that doesn't fail (uhh 150, 250, 99, 140 tower or hero ult armor ugh) is more of a sense of accomplishment or luck. Those that have to hack to get them are just jealous or want to be praised for being so lucky.

Would I like to find useful upgrades? Sure would. The game isn't meant to give them after you reach that 4k mark though it seems.

usually its like this
me "Hey your (insert item here ) is hacked you know "
them quickly switch hero and leave game or just quickly leave
I have never had one say no it isn't lol I feel left out

People openly admit to hacking and having hacked items. It seems more normal than people who don't. I dont' quite remember it being anywhere as bad in the past (altough there were a lot of hackers back then already) but I at least partly blame the extremly screwed up itemization and item progression for people feeling the need to actually resort to these things in a non competitive environment.

Of the few that I've run across, the majority have had relatively low hours in the game which would indicate that they didn't even get to the part of the game where it grew past the original design (i.e. nightmare mode) or they were powered leveled beyond their understanding of the game play/game mechanisms - and therefore just wanted a shortcut to the top levels without understanding that the levels they thought were top was just actually artificially hacked.

I'm not saying that there aren't hackers who went throught the game, played for a long time, and finally got frustrated with not getting upgrades that match some of the 'possible' items seen around from time to time. I'm not even sure what the ratio actually is between those who want an instant gratification of top gear and those who get frustrated after ages of farming - but given today's society I'd go with a higher count of those who want instant gratification as being the majority.

Personally I'm working on a full set of ultimate armor for a hero (I've got 2 down and just need 2 more), just as a personal achievement. I'll have to wait until I get back home to be able to play, but even once I get this set - I'm afraid it won't have better stats than my mix of myth/trans/sup setup. But then again not all of my personal goals are meant to be power gaming achievements.

why arent report hacker link at fist page with big bold letters? I catch one, but I cant find link.. the only one I will find, is not working due to new forum.

Best reason: "My father and mother got divorced..."

If you know what I mean ;)

I almost died laughing, but i better not, i think thats "ilegel"
... dem references

Or completely the other way around: i met a guy in a game who claimed to have a hacked weapon. And it was a terrible weapon, something like a max-leveled godly weapon, lol... Maybe it was sold to him by a shady figure in a dark tavern, "pssst, wanna buy hacked items? only the best for you..."

NO i hate it when people call event items hacked For example ISOM:)! Im so tired of hearing isom is not real that unicorn is hacked lol it makes me mad everytime which equals i try to explain that isom is a real pet but they are stubborn too funny. Then they return an hour later saying sorry. This is funny.