[CO-Op] Q: will RES. be needed on armor

just a question on the armor in the tower defense side of the game, will we need to waste 50+^ on capping res. I feel that this time around RES should not be mandatory.

Lol u just wanna do more dps and not have to think about surviving I really doubt that's gonna happen.

Or maybe this time around they balance the stats out better. Even within non-physical res, because most of the dangerous elemental enemies are fire based (choppers, mages, kobolds) and absolutely nothing is purely lightning based, you get a huge range of importances just within those three stats which are all essentially the same thing.

Thing is, if you go back to insane, the limited number of upgrades means doing resistances is actually relatively balanced with HP. It's just the usual story of stat inflation breaking things. Hopefully, this won't return and then this will not be an issue. However, at the same time, I hope they dont just remove resistances. How people build the characters was about the only interesting thing about hero spec characters. I know a lot of people just went the bog standard boring old, all upgrades into damage, but some of us wern't quite so standard. Infact, I would rather they added MORE options for ways to spec your hero. RPG esque skill trees, interesting weapon choices (small high DPS weapons vs. oversized low DPS weapons for example), interesting extra effects (jetpacks, reflect damage aura, shield) attached to an accesory like slot (so only 1 effect per hero).

tl;dr
Stats in general should be more interesting/complicated not even more streamlined.

Or maybe this time around they balance the stats out better. Even within non-physical res, because most of the dangerous elemental enemies are fire based (choppers, mages, kobolds) and absolutely nothing is purely lightning based, you get a huge range of importances just within those three stats which are all essentially the same thing.

Thing is, if you go back to insane, the limited number of upgrades means doing resistances is actually relatively balanced with HP. It's just the usual story of stat inflation breaking things. Hopefully, this won't return and then this will not be an issue. However, at the same time, I hope they dont just remove resistances. How people build the characters was about the only interesting thing about hero spec characters. I know a lot of people just went the bog standard boring old, all upgrades into damage, but some of us wern't quite so standard. Infact, I would rather they added MORE options for ways to spec your hero. RPG esque skill trees, interesting weapon choices (small high DPS weapons vs. oversized low DPS weapons for example), interesting extra effects (jetpacks, reflect damage aura, shield) attached to an accesory like slot (so only 1 effect per hero).

tl;dr
Stats in general should be more interesting/complicated not even more streamlined.

I agree with that. More options would add to the diversity of gameplay. It'll already be fairly diverse with the number of heroes they are planning, but customization is always nice.

I would like to think that "dumping" X number of upgrades into armor resists actually has more effect than simply making your hero more durable. I'd much rather see something defensively oriented work on *both* the hero wearing it and the defenses they build.

Ex: Some units have the damage they take from being attacked reduced by armor resists. Other units get a chance to *ignore* an enemy's elemental-properties based on those same resist levels. "Nope, can't ignore this gas trap. I've got 90% poison!"

Lol u just wanna do more dps and not have to think about surviving I really doubt that's gonna happen.

not at all i started DD the day it came out.. as time went on the loot ramp went way of hand. there is noting wrong with res. i think it needs a re-work that's all

I would like to think that "dumping" X number of upgrades into armor resists actually has more effect than simply making your hero more durable. I'd much rather see something defensively oriented work on *both* the hero wearing it and the defenses they build.

Ex: Some units have the damage they take from being attacked reduced by armor resists. Other units get a chance to *ignore* an enemy's elemental-properties based on those same resist levels. "Nope, can't ignore this gas trap. I've got 90% poison!"

Resistance was already a mandatory must have item. It shouldn't do MORE beyond what it already does. The problem here is that resistance was the most important stat for any active character, regardless of build. It wasn't so bad with insane mode gear, but the superloot and nightmare scaling kind of broke it. You couldn't dps with res, you couldn't be active towers without res, you couldn't do a weird supporty thing without res, you couldn't do any sort of active build without res. Because nobody likes being 1 shotted. The issue was that DD1 was DESIGNED for insane, and nightmare was literally out of the scope of the code. The devs have probably learned their lesson, however, and i'd assume that the game balance will more closely follow insane mode from DD1

tl;dr

Interesting point. I also think that resistances should not cap at or near 90%. The 90% cap makes very high resistances essential in later maps. Since just a mere 10% less in one resist results in enemies dealing double the damage it is hard to not try to cap all of them. If the cap were lower, somewhere around 60% or even 70% the utility for having resistances would be maintained without making it an absolute necessity to cap. This would open up more build opportunities or potentially even effective hybrid classes.