Why hello there everyone.
So short story,I've got Dungeon Defenders as soon as it came out with my friend.
Pre-ordered shards dlc's when they were still at the development. I've got all of the DLC's with my friend. We spend more than 200 hours on this game. Dungeon Defenders is really amazing game.
So why I'm posting this here?
I'm really curious about that F-2-P model.
Because usually F2P games contain many bad players and all things together costs 4 times the game price if it wouldn't be F2P.
So I'm really curious, are you going to give up Co-op/Singleplayer campaign for free?
Im really hoping not. I have an idea.
When you buy Dungeon Defenders 2 game, you get full game with almost all of the stuff.
And you give just PvP mode for free to people. So F2P users can't play campaign.
I don't know why, but i hate F2P models. Especially when games which were for sale became F2P.
Like it was with Team Fortress 2. I bought Orange box back in 2007. Payed full price, retailed version. I was in love with that game, with that small community. And then VALVe broke it, they added trading, at first it was a good idea. But then the bad came. They made it F2P.
And what i got for money i spent for the game? A hat. A virtual hat made out of pixels. And a ability to trade which i could have done before and a 6 pages of inventory, F2P can't have that. So you're becoming "premium" user just for 0,69 usd for buying cheapest item in the store. So basically i payed 60 bucks for orange box, ~20 bucks for Tf2 if splitting money. And F2p users get the same game for half of a dollar.
And TF2 community became crap, scammers, newbies and etc.
I really hope Trendy won't make this game F2P,at least not the Co-op/Singleplayer part.
You can leave moba part F2P, but not the original game..

I somewhat agree that I'm at least erie of the F2P model being brought into this game, but I also trust trendy, (I mean, I trust their product when it comes to PC. I still have a childish man-grudge on them for the console dlc (Which I know wasn't really their fault)) hopefully they don't start charging for every luxury we had in the first, but still charge enough that they gain a profit for their work.

From what I understand of the payment model, it's that there will be one in game currency that lets you unlock anything in the game. The two ways to get the currency are either to play the game long enough that you naturally earn the currency, or to purchase it with money. Honestly though, for the campaign mode, I tended to play that with friends anyway. I mean, I'd farm with anyone with an open game or who joined mine, but the actual story I did with friends. Plus the campaign is soloable (i assume), and I'm guessing you can still boot players, so it shouldn't be a big deal in that mode. As for the pvp, you will get trolls and stuff, but if you play with friends you'll be fine. In this case, friend can mean that guy you played with that was nice/fun so you decided you wanna play with him again.

What will make or break the F2P model for me is how readily 'currency' can be earned via the main game (Tower Defense) & various Challenges, compared to the Moba aspect. If whatever we earn in TD to unlock Heroes and cosmetics is greater than or equal to the Moba rewards, then I'll be pleased. If that is the case, I'll likely throw in $5-10 to buy a couple of core Heroes and get an early start on Survival/Challenges.

I think a big worry of mine about F2P is the costumes, while Costumes were added in DLC for DD1 I really hope there will be a healthy mix of unlockable and purchasable skins around launch.

My heart will grow like fiddy sizes if they bring back the dead knight skin for squire!

Edit: Biggest worry? DERP! Over exaggeration.

I think a big worry of mine about F2P is the costumes, while Costumes were added in DLC for DD1 I really hope there will be a healthy mix of unlockable and purchasable skins around launch.

My heart will grow like fiddy sizes if they bring back the dead knight skin for squire!

Edit: Biggest worry? DERP! Over exaggeration.

If I understand what they've said so far, every skin will be unlockable, and many will be purchasable. There is one currency which you get through gametime or by paying money. And then I imagine some skins are for beating levels/events and the like. I imagine it will be a lot like league of legends, if you replaced all RP with IP.

I think f2p is a good chooise for the new DD. Games like moba needs a bunch of people playing, But i think number of players won't be a problem since the next game will be a cross-plataform game.

Still, if DD2 became F2P I think LoL is the best model. The game is free, but for you to unlock a character you need to play and win, ALOT! And if you want some costume, you have to pay for it.
I believe DD2 will have many characters, so LoL is the model I think the DD2 should follow.