PAX East DD2 Competitive Impressions

Thanks for all the info you guys are posting and for answering so many questions. I can't think of any right now but I've enjoyed the read :)

Found a question.

Are you talking about the Hero Summoner and that his abilities depend on what heroes you have leveled up, or is it referring to a different type of spell?

Well, DD2 actually calls it a "magic spell". It's like Flash/Ignite/Exhaust and the like in League of Legends, it's a spell you choose from a shared pool that is independent of your hero before the match starts. The only ones available in the PAX demo were Heal (heal 20% of your max HP), a Mana version of Heal, a spell that broke all CC on you, a spell that gave you bonus move speed for 5 seconds, and a spell that dealt 6666 damage to a minion or jungle monster (I think it was called Banish).

how does the kolbolt king attk?

From what I saw of him, he rides around on some kind of cart and throws grenades to attack. He is definitely a ranged attack hero.

Omg, can't believe I forgot to ask this. How does the auto attack work?

Also movement and controls would be cool to hear. I asume its WASD + 1-4 for skills and 2 more for summoner spell/back to base.

Auto attack is pretty basic, you just left click on someone and your hero moves and starts hitting them.

as for controls, yes, the controls are WASD like a first-person shooter, with 1-4 being your character skills and 5 being your magic spell (heal and the like). There aren't actually any other in-game hotkeys besides Shift to check the score board and player inventories, but the Trendy representatives I talked to said they were planning to make hot keys mappable.

Is last shotting (or whatever the term is) as necessary in DD2 as it is in LoL?

Is last shotting (or whatever the term is) as necessary in DD2 as it is in LoL?

Not exactly sure what a last shot is, but judging by it's name I can assume at least. Attacking is pretty decent, it works very similar to LoL, nothing is really different in terms of that.

Of course, since they did say they've changed a lot in the beta, it could change how attacking works.

Omg, can't believe I forgot to ask this. How does the auto attack work?

Also movement and controls would be cool to hear. I asume its WASD + 1-4 for skills and 2 more for summoner spell/back to base.

Just click the enemy/tower/creeps. You will automatically attack with auto attacks.

WASD movement. 1-4 are your spells. 1-3 are your main skills that you can level right away, and 4 is your ultimate; like in most mobas.

There was a "v" button that i tried to figure out what it did, but no idea what it did. Didn't seem to be implemented yet, or my hero didn't have a use for it.

There is a return spell like in LoL, and there is a TP item that lets you to TP to any friendly structure; couldn't find the hotkey for it, so i clicked it v_v

Just click the enemy/tower/creeps. You will automatically attack with auto attacks.

WASD movement. 1-4 are your spells. 1-3 are your main skills that you can level right away, and 4 is your ultimate; like in most mobas.

There was a "v" button that i tried to figure out what it did, but no idea what it did. Didn't seem to be implemented yet, or my hero didn't have a use for it.

There is a return spell like in LoL, and there is a TP item that lets you to TP to any friendly structure; couldn't find the hotkey for it, so i clicked it v_v

V (and/or B) actually does a taunt once you kill another player. I think Laura told us that. There are a lot of taunts, and they are really funny from what she said, but it wasn't added into the PAX build.

I'm curious, what exactly was the style of the MOBA? Was it basically LoL or DOTA with DD characters and a simpler shop or was there some twist to it to make it unique? How were the new characters? Did any of them have unique ways of attacking or things that seemed fun? Did they seem pretty balanced?

The style is similar to LoL. As far as I know, there is no denying. Did not get to jungle and kill neutrals all that much, but if it's anything like dota/hon/lol, then staying in lane is better.

Did not try to kill any of the big bosses, but it seemed there was about 3 different types according to the minimap (If I remember correctly, there were 3 skull marked neutral camps of varying sizes/colors).

The hero I played was the Apprentice.

First skill:
Fireball (8 second cd? iirc) - Skill shot that hits everything in a line and explodes? Something like that, but definitely does aoe.
Second skill (Forgot name) - Passively Reduces cooldown of other abilities (maybe lower cast time as well, but not sure about that one, but definitely reduces cooldown)
Lightning Storm (I think - 8 second cd iirc) - select an area to and does lightning damage to the entire area.
Mana Bomb (VERY FUN WHEN YOU PULL IT OFF - 90+ second cd) - 2.9 second cast, and you deal massive damage to all enemy units around you.

So quick story about my game, just want to share the experience, because I just owned:
I was actually playing against my friend. During Laning phase, just levelled up fireball first, and then lightning storm, then ulti when I could. Fireball casts to harass the enemies in my lane. Pretty static, trying to get some last hits.
First kill occurred at level 4-5, enemy just couldn't take the fireballs. I was facing a hunter 1v1, juked around the corner to start casting mana bomb and hunter instantly dies. It seems that 2 of our 3 lanes were winning, so the enemy team tries to do a 5 man push. Enemy team just allows me to walk up and I mana bomb 3/5 of the enemy team and I get a triple kill. We pushed to win. It seemed that the showcase limited the amount of time a game could take, but we were already destroying their base, so it was pretty solid our win. :D - Friend disliked me for a while haha. I assume that there is no timer in the real PvP game.

-----------------------------------

Completely random note: Tab is to chat, which is confusing since in most other mobas, it's enter, but since original DD you use tab, it makes sense.

Last shotting is when you wait for your attacks and time them so that you let your minions do most of the damage to enemies while waiting safely until they are almost dead and getting the last shot since that's all that matters for getting xp/mana/gold/whatever.

Thanks for sharing, very nice of you. From what i.ve been reading, i.ll have troubles playing it since it will be my 1st MOBA, but i can.t wait to play.

Oh, there is no obvious way to stop animation cast or stop casting, because I accidentally hit my ulti and just wasted a 90+ second cd. So there could be a way to do it, but I wasn't able to find it.

I didn't realize how many heroes there will be. There were slots for about 50 heroes. Jesus.

Anyway, I was left speechless when I played. Of course, I didn't know about that whole point system for the abilities, so for the first half I couldn't do anything with the character I chose. Other than that, I was amazed. I can't wait for this! Trendy's outdone themselves.

I was able to play this at PAX East and everyone I got to talk to at the booth were very nice! I'm looking forward to beta testing this game if I'm accepted, but so far my first impressions were mostly positive save for a few control issues I had. I can understand the reasoning behind why they chose to design it this way though. Overall, it was fun and I can't wait to see what other things are in store for us.

I was able to play this at PAX East and everyone I got to talk to at the booth were very nice! I'm looking forward to beta testing this game if I'm accepted, but so far my first impressions were mostly positive save for a few control issues I had. I can understand the reasoning behind why they chose to design it this way though. Overall, it was fun and I can't wait to see what other things are in store for us.

Same. I'm really hoping I get accepted into the beta sometime soon. Super excited to keep playing it. Also, yes the devs are extremely nice and willing to talk about what they can. :)

What heroes are there? (Excluding the ones we have on DD1)

From my memory...
Man And Machine, Dryad, Lavamancer, Crystalline Knight, Spirit Knight, Prisoner, Orc Cheif, Kobold Warlord, Gun Witch, Gun Girl, Hunter (NOT RANGER, this guy uses knives), Spider Queen, and all the non-jester DD1 heroes. (RIP in peace jester :()

Same. I'm really hoping I get accepted into the beta sometime soon. Super excited to keep playing it. Also, yes the devs are extremely nice and willing to talk about what they can.

I also hope that I get into the beta :D two of my friends stayed at the DD2 booth all day saturday and collected all the weapon skin codes and were specially asked by Trendy to join the closed beta, and they haven't received access yet, so I don't think any of us have to worrry about being looked over right now. Trendy is still in the process of getting out of Boston and back settled into development :)

This is such a fantastic writeup. I hope everyone enjoyed the game at PAX. We gathered a ton of feedback. I think the best moment from PAX was seeing everyone's surprise at the new camera mode. That just goes to show just how willing we are to change things up in the beta stage.

Stay tuned for more DD2 news.

From my memory...
Man And Machine, Dryad, Lavamancer, Crystalline Knight, Spirit Knight, Prisoner, Orc Cheif, Kobold Warlord, Gun Witch, Gun Girl, Hunter (NOT RANGER, this guy uses knives), Spider Queen, and all the non-jester DD1 heroes. (RIP in peace jester :()

I also believe that most of the clone heroes aren't in either are they? Ranger, Adept, Initiate?

I also believe that most of the clone heroes aren't in either are they? Ranger, Adept, Initiate?

Nope. But I would guess you could buy those skins.

This is such a fantastic writeup. I hope everyone enjoyed the game at PAX. We gathered a ton of feedback. I think the best moment from PAX was seeing everyone's surprise at the new camera mode. That just goes to show just how willing we are to change things up in the beta stage.

Stay tuned for more DD2 news.

Happy to see how open you guys (and gals!) are for development changes on DD2. Really hoping to get my hands on this again sometime soon. Keep up the great work Trendy!