Sign in to follow this  
Tran

Making the cooperative pay to play

I wouldn't mind paying for the campaign hell I'd pay for the PvP part if they made it that way.
I've been playing DD since Dec 2011 it would have to be my best buy on the PlayStation 3.
Though now that it won't be coming to console for some time at least, (If it does)
I will need to buy a better computer. Though I think everyone would agree that this game is worth paying for,
And nothing ruins a game of DD more when you have some randoms that just come in to troll
When you want to play with new people.

Free to play will be always attracting new people, and we will always have new players to play with :) and the community can grow bigger and bigger. Also easier to convince friends to join.

Steam sales have this effect too. 43% of the users registered on steam didn't even finish the tutorial. Paying don't keep people away.

i would rather see it as free to play if they ACTUALLY make it free to play. for example, in the original dungeon defenders, you could not continue playing the shards expansions without also purchasing the new heros (such as series EV).

The game is supposed to be coop first, you can finish everything in the game with one class only. You don't have to buy the series EV.
Of course, if you want to solo everything, you will need summoner and EV.

They can do something similar with DD2. I'm under the impression that you want the game 100% free. What's wrong with paying?

(Some might ask : what's wrong with free to play? Well, I never found one that I'd play for more than 5 minutes. In my mind, f2p= low quality (that's in my mind, not in reality. Many things in my mind aren't real). Also, the name of the category "free to play" is a lie, you can try the game for free, but the company will have to get money somehow. Many "old" people like me like to buy they game, and won't try a game just because it's free to play. Not having a box or a disk is hard enough.)

F2P or not, i really hope Trendy makes a gazillion dollars. It's a business not a charity organization. A nice profit from DD2 could bring us DD3 in the future.

To those who shout out "it should be completely free or only cost a dollar"

Wake up ... Or rather grow up.

Steam sales have this effect too. 43% of the users registered on steam didn't even finish the tutorial. Paying don't keep people away.

The game is supposed to be coop first, you can finish everything in the game with one class only. You don't have to buy the series EV.
Of course, if you want to solo everything, you will need summoner and EV.

They can do something similar with DD2. I'm under the impression that you want the game 100% free. What's wrong with paying?

(Some might ask : what's wrong with free to play? Well, I never found one that I'd play for more than 5 minutes. In my mind, f2p= low quality (that's in my mind, not in reality. Many things in my mind aren't real). Also, the name of the category "free to play" is a lie, you can try the game for free, but the company will have to get money somehow. Many "old" people like me like to buy they game, and won't try a game just because it's free to play. Not having a box or a disk is hard enough.)

you erroneously spoke "you can finish everything in the game with one class only" We all know this is not possible. "you do not have to buy series EV", ok maybe i dont, but SOMEONE does or content is LITERALLY not possible to complete. That is not a good F2P model at all, if you pay for content, it should be possible to complete without other dlc's that require somebody to pay for even if you dont.

and you said you are under the impression i want it 100% free. wow really? read my post again.....as i already stated i'd love to see it be F2P but I just dont see it working for coop without making it pay to win. The series EV argument was an easy example of that. They are obviously going to need to make money, and i spent tons of money on DD1.

however like i already said, only dota2 and HoN have done proper F2P games (that im aware of) and the rest, of which ive played many, end up being pay to win. the big difference? only cosmetic things are available in dota2/hon at the item shops. all other games have item shops that can enhance you in some way and therefore become *required* for normal gameplay. If there are going to be things required to complete content, it's a FAR better idea to just charge up front and include them in the game. Even if it's a small charge like $5 for the game, THEN add a cosmetic item shop that people could spend more money at. No item shop should have anything that changes gameplay whatsoever or it will become pay to win.

How about this,

I am okay with it being f2p or a one time purchase.
But if it is f2p I would REALLY like to see a 'Season Pass' or 'Premium' kind of thing that allows someone like me who loves the franchise to pay something like 30 and get all the DLC and content as it's released for no extra cost.

If this becomes the case than I will not mind paying the extra money to get the content.

It could also be used for separating the f2p players and those who have invested in Trendy.
This could be done by using a similar system to the way Battlefield 3 does it, by having a server option to only allow premium players to join the game.

Trendy, Please consider this!

~ Dan

Just make it where you have to pay for PVP and make Co-op free. The second choice is to keep the entire game F2P. I waited a long time to play a DD game with co-op on PC. Trendy will probably be fine with the money from paid items. Just look at Happy Wars where I heard someone spent $10,000 on happy tickets. There will always be people to spend a lot of money on F2P games.

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough, but I meant that it'd be like a one-time purchase, not a subscription fee.

That aside though, it's always nice to hear the other side of the argument and other's opinions.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with this if it is a one time payment. No subscription charges. I saved part of my Christmas bonus specifically for this game and any DLC that is to come out haha.

F2P is simply a bad model in my mind. It's the way every small developer is going, especially mobile type games.

Then you have these ridiculous micro transactions that aren't so micro and rape the players who want customization.

Free or not, if people want to play, they will if it's $0 or $10-$15.

Trendy, I implore you not to leave the model that you have had success with. Please stop trying to change every single detail of what we loved.

If F2P is unavoidable, then owning every single piece of micro transaction customization should never cost more than $20 total. I will be super unhappy if you try and get your money through your loyal fans and let the freeloading passerby's get a free run.

f2p is simply a bad model in my mind. It's the way every small developer is going, especially mobile type games.

Then you have these ridiculous micro transactions that aren't so micro and rape the players who want customization.

Trendy, i implore you not to leave the model that you have had success with. Please stop trying to change every single detail of what we loved.

If f2p is unavoidable, then owning every single piece of micro transaction customization should never cost more than $20 total. I will be super unhappy if you try and get your money through your loyal fans and let the freeloading passerby's get a free run.

amen!

F2P is simply a bad model in my mind. It's the way every small developer is going, especially mobile type games.

Trendy, I implore you not to leave the model that you have had success with. Please stop trying to change every single detail of what we loved.

If F2P is unavoidable, then owning every single piece of micro transaction customization should never cost more than $20 total. I will be super unhappy if you try and get your money through your loyal fans and let the freeloading passerby's get a free run.

I absolutely agree with this statement.

Something you must keep in mind too, if the game is f2p, gamers will join with little commitment to the game. A lot of new players will find that setting up a defense can be quite complicated. Having little commitment to the game, should a player feel the first go was hard to understand, there is a good chance the player will leave without ever getting past that. What kind of reviews will the game get then?

[c3;842423']if you want to get rid of griefers, the best way to do it is for trendy to make it so that only the builder of a tower can sell a tower, and by that i mean, the player that built the tower, not the character. the other way would just be a migraine for players.

They still could just place random towers and crap in random spaces, not saying they should not put in this idea though. I think that trendy should make it for when you kick a player ALL of their towers are removed so that they can not just leach off of other people's stuff. This would also prevent players from placing random towers everywhere. (I still think they should make it that only the character can delete his own stuff)

This is the way that I see it.

A f2p based game would attract a lot of new people to the franchise. Although in F2P games I have tried there are a lot of players just asking for free stuff and are easily angered (and frustrating). I would have no issues paying for this game, and it even feels good to get the feeling of "I bought this and I don't regret it". Regarding your original post of making co-op pay to play- sorry, it just seems like an awkward way of doing it.