computer specs

I currently play DD on xbox 360 and am seriously considering making the jump to the pc version because of all the content that it has and especially because of the announcement of DD2. So basically my question is what should i be looking for in a computer that can run this game. I have never been a pc gamer so I'm pretty much out of my element when it comes to system reuirements for pc games. I am in the market for a new computer anyway and price isnt much of a concern. thank you for all your help!!

System requirements is an interesting topic. DD on PC isn't actually that demanding. Problem being (and no offense to Trendy here), the game has incredibly poor optimization in several parts. Although DD2 will likely be more taxing, it will likely be equally improved in performance. Unless you are planning to go super wide screen (> 1600x900), you can probly get away with a basic Dual Core box; 2.4ghz-3.2ghz, 256mb GPU, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 60gb-100gb hdd

Building or buying a new rig for the purpose of a single game is a rather poor investment choice, but if you really don't see yourself using other things like media editing, playing high-end games, modding said games, etc., you can probly get a basic Dual Core box from Dell for ~$500.

What would your budget be?

Here is a good guide that explains many things. Give it a read and think about what you want to get out of something that you are investing so much money in.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

I would recommend something from 'Good' upwards ($600+) if you want to play more then just DD, though would also say that is a good starting point for any gaming rig, even if you just play DD. YES, you could get away with less if you are on a tight budget, but don't be surprised if you have to turn settings down and it is a little slow loading.
My current rig would come in about the 'Excellent' level, except the graphics card, which is a 560Ti (Still a good card). I built this about a year ago and still runs any game I want on high settings. I spent a little over 1000 though that included a silly over priced 'Lian Li' case.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I am by no means an expert though I do build my own rigs that are reliable and solid (touch wood). I also build to last. I don't upgrade every year or so, I just splash out and build a complete new rig every 3-5 years depending on cost, how fast technology moves and what games demand.

thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I was also wondering if anyone out there uses a laptop for gaming or are you all using desktops?

thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I was also wondering if anyone out there uses a laptop for gaming or are you all using desktops?

Most People use Desktops. The reason are numerous:

*Many Laptops use Low power Graphics Cards, often "cut down" compared their Desktop versions. This doesn't affect most users, as almost all office based work barely get a graphic card to do anything serious. Many games use the graphics cart alot. DD1 is one of them.

*Most Gaming Desltops are generally built out of "components" you can replace parts with better parts. (Actually many gamers build their own PCs, I know several PC gamers that do.) Laptops generally have three "minor" replaceable parts: Memory, Harddisk and Battery.

*Generally, most gamers don't move their PCs around that much. (But then most console gamers don't move their consoles either.

As the game is in development the Minimum/Recommended Specs are not known, but I'm willing bet they may be lower than DD1s. (DD1 is low as PCs go today.)

[QUOTE]Minimum:
Processor: 1 Ghz Dual-Core CPU
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 2GB
Video Card: Graphics Card with Shader Model 3 support, 256 MB video memory
DirectX: 9.0c
Sound: DirectSound-compatible sound device[/QUOTE]

System requirements is an interesting topic. DD on PC isn't actually that demanding. Problem being (and no offense to Trendy here), the game has incredibly poor optimization in several parts. Although DD2 will likely be more taxing, it will likely be equally improved in performance. Unless you are planning to go super wide screen (> 1600x900), you can probly get away with a basic Dual Core box; 2.4ghz-3.2ghz, 256mb GPU, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 60gb-100gb hdd

Building or buying a new rig for the purpose of a single game is a rather poor investment choice, but if you really don't see yourself using other things like media editing, playing high-end games, modding said games, etc., you can probly get a basic Dual Core box from Dell for ~$500.

I build a computer just to play DD.... [[3906,hashtags]]

I have a lot of experience building gaming computers. I have built computers for friends, and for the most part it is a hobby of mine. I would recommend you go with a quad core cpu as a minimum requirement for gaming. Why a quad core? Because PC gaming in general is going to change radically in the next couple years. While not all games use multithreading(Using multiple cores of a cpu.) That is going to change, as the new gaming consoles come out. Those consoles be it the next gen xbox and ps4 will have 8 core cpus in them, and when they port games over to PC those games will be written to take advantage of multithreading.

Also, if you do decide to build a gaming pc with a quad core cpu don't skimp on the graphics card, it is the most important part of the computer when it comes to gaming.

At this point you might be asking yourself what brand of cpu's should I go for? Intel vs AMD, what's better? Both of them have strengths and weaknesses. Intel has stronger processors when it comes to single threaded applications, it's all about horsepower when it comes to intel but you will pay a premium for it. AMD on the other hand is more budget conscious, they offer decent performing cpus but the prices are for the most part much better.

Will you notice a huge difference between the two companies? Not really it's about 10 percent right now. How do I know? I own machines of both flavors, amd and intel, and there isn't a huge difference between there flagship models in most games.

If I were you, you could get by with a A10-5800k or FX-6300 cpu and a Radeon HD 7850 as your graphics card, throw in a 8 gigs of ram, a 7200 rpm hard drive and windows and there's a gaming pc that will play just about everything on high settings. And the nice thing is it won't kill your bank account. You could put something like this together for around 600-700 bucks I would guess.

I recommend to do not build a rig depending on DD. Why? Because DD is poorly optimized. Even with a i5 3570K, 8GB RAM and GTX 660 Ti i encounter lagg on Kings Game and Akatiti on medium settings.

techtank has already hit some good points but i'll add a few more that are useful to people relatively new to hardware.

[quote]Also, if you do decide to build a gaming pc with a quad core cpu don't skimp on the graphics card, it is the most important part of the computer when it comes to gaming.[/quote]
depending on the engine, it may or may not be. some engines leave GPU's mostly idle while others do 99% of the game on the GPU.

[quote]If I were you, you could get by with a A10-5800k or FX-6300 cpu and a Radeon HD 7850 as your graphics card, throw in a 8 gigs of ram, a 7200 rpm hard drive and windows and there's a gaming pc that will play just about everything on high settings. And the nice thing is it won't kill your bank account. You could put something like this together for around 600-700 bucks I would guess.[/quote]
whether or not this is a good option for 'heycody' totally is dependant on if he really uses his computer for anything else, and may plan to, and / or may (hopefully) want to play more games on PC once he has one.

that being the case, if you indeed are pondering about moving most of your gaming to the PC end, don't skimp on parts. investing in good stuff now will mean you won't have any need to upgrade for years, which is cheaper than buying bargain parts every year.
at the end of the day, in my mind, i'd rather spend a few more bucks and save in the long run than try to penny pinch and lose in the short and long run.

it also sounds like techtank, myself, and maybe others - others didn't write enough information for me to decide that - can totally help you put together a pile of parts that would fit your budget and save unnecessary costs and overall get you what you want.
if you are wary of building a machine yourself, you needn't worry, it's a lot easier than people make it out to be, it's almost impossible to do it wrong, all the parts only plug in one way. and when you're done you can feel proud of what you've accomplished(and if you like cable management your wires can be as neat as you like). if you're still wary despite, i'd be glad to walk you through putting parts together so you know you don't do anything incorrectly.
building a machine yourself rather than buying a prebuilt one will also save you a lot of money, most (almost all) companies have pretty asinine markups on the parts for how much work it is to put it together, which isn't much really.

[quote]thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I was also wondering if anyone out there uses a laptop for gaming or are you all using desktops?[/quote]
myself and most PC gamers use desktops due to the previously stated advantages they have. laptops are also far more expensive than their desktop counterparts. this isn't to say you can't play games on a laptop, but it's not for everyone. and keep in mind battery life on a laptop that plays games well isn't going to be that great and it's also not going to be all that portable anymore, haha. the laptop will have some good weight to it. i'm not saying it's going to be too heavy to carry around, just don't expect it to weigh as much as a tablet does ;)

personally i'd always choose a desktop over a laptop for less cramped body positions and less cramped general usage. however, desktops aren't for everyone, just as laptops aren't for everyone.
lastly, if you do think you might want a laptop over a desktop, there's still plenty of choice on your hardware, you aren't sacrificing choice. just do expect what would be $1000 in a desktop to be ~$1750+ in a laptop.

@taiiat

You can still fail at building your own PC, if you are not following the ESD advices, taking the right amount of heat sink paste or breaking a pin.

Most people i know are scared of building they're own PC, because they don't want to spent hundreds to thousands of euros and screw it up.

Friend bought a GTX 680 which didnt fit in his case.
It was a cruelty for him to see me removing his hdd slots with a pincer, because he didn't want to take another case. Anyways, it works and he's happy.

I have a lot of experience building gaming computers. I have built computers for friends, and for the most part it is a hobby of mine. I would recommend you go with a quad core cpu as a minimum requirement for gaming. Why a quad core? Because PC gaming in general is going to change radically in the next couple years. While not all games use multithreading(Using multiple cores of a cpu.) That is going to change, as the new gaming consoles come out. Those consoles be it the next gen xbox and ps4 will have 8 core cpus in them, and when they port games over to PC those games will be written to take advantage of multithreading.

Also, if you do decide to build a gaming pc with a quad core cpu don't skimp on the graphics card, it is the most important part of the computer when it comes to gaming.

At this point you might be asking yourself what brand of cpu's should I go for? Intel vs AMD, what's better? Both of them have strengths and weaknesses. Intel has stronger processors when it comes to single threaded applications, it's all about horsepower when it comes to intel but you will pay a premium for it. AMD on the other hand is more budget conscious, they offer decent performing cpus but the prices are for the most part much better.

Will you notice a huge difference between the two companies? Not really it's about 10 percent right now. How do I know? I own machines of both flavors, amd and intel, and there isn't a huge difference between there flagship models in most games.

If I were you, you could get by with a A10-5800k or FX-6300 cpu and a Radeon HD 7850 as your graphics card, throw in a 8 gigs of ram, a 7200 rpm hard drive and windows and there's a gaming pc that will play just about everything on high settings. And the nice thing is it won't kill your bank account. You could put something like this together for around 600-700 bucks I would guess.

Pretty much exactly what I would have said.

All-in-all this entire discussion is very dependent on your budget.

One thing I forgot to mention.

Many laptops and certain motherboards with on-board Graphics, "cheat" and use the a fraction of the Main memory as dedicated Video Memory. These Graphic "cards" generally have trouble playing games. This is fine for many "office" applications.

Building you own PC can be "cheaper" in the long run, as you can put components to the next PC. My most Recent Purchase was a Harddisk and a Graphics card, to replace that I had already. My old Graphics card was added to my old PC, while my Harddisk had been in the last two, purely as I was just using for extra disk space. If you where to buy my PC at today it will set you back about UK500. That's actually less than what I paid for it, But I've spread that out over several years, 200 here, 200 later.

I have noticed a lot of people have switched to pc because of this game (including me).

It's all about gambling seriously, my PC can run Crysis1/2/3 Planetside 2, NS2, the last games that required great high end PCs, think about Planetside 2 online everything maxed out during super epic fights with so many players around, well my PC handle this maxed out, and guess what? I'm playing Dungeon Defenders in 1024*768, sometimes 640*480, everything on LOW settings, I edited the CFG to try to gain some FPS, which works on Unreal 3 (since Dundef uses the same engine), but doesn't make any difference in Dundef. So you might be one of the lucky guys who can run this game flawlessly, or like me, one of the unlucky ones.

If I was you, I'd just get a PC that can run any last AAA game, but don't exagerate, so you don't spend too much money. And don't expect to run Dundef like any other games, Trendyend doesn't really communicate with us on performance, and if you look at the patches, and change log, you rarely (or never?) see any optimization for that :'(.