Will DDII be on steam?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!
I want to know if Dungeon Defenders II will be on steam? I checked the FAQ, and it didn't say anything about it.

Thanks!

It doesn't look like it.. plus: What's this red bar to the top of forum?

They mention PlayVerse in the FAQ -

[QUOTE]Playverse is a proprietary, cross-platform game network for our games that allows players to play the same game, on the same servers, across all supported platforms. It supports nifty things like dynamic content streaming to different platforms and dynamic loading for the rest of the games contents. It also abstracts many of the social features found in current online games (chat, friends, notifications, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Hello!
I want to know if Dungeon Defenders II will be on steam? I checked the FAQ, and it didn't say anything about it.

Thanks!

Playverse is how it's looking. It also sounds like a good way they can release other games they make *hint hint*

Well considering PlayVerse is described as "game network for our games", I think it's probably safe to say that Steam is out the window. Unless they pull an EA/Origins and release it on both networks.

I feel like this is a big miss on Trendy's part. What steam adds is an aspect of community. We can always see who else is on and we are able to communicate with each other. Steam allowed for forum trade meet ups and grouping as well as our community events. Without steam chat and friends list I just don't see how those processes could happen efficiently. If this game is to be successful on a different platform then that ease of communication needs to be incorporated. I want to know who else is on when I am playing and I want to be able to talk to them without being in their tavern.

There was certainly mentions that they would implement many of those things into Playverse as well. Now for whether they will do a good enough job and if Playverse will have enough benefits to replace Steam remains to be seen of course.

Within two years there's going to be more platforms on my computer than games at this rate. Steam, Origin, Uplay and now this. If it's not on Steam I can't be bothered getting it. I don't need another platform.

Steam or it didn't happen. Don't need to reinvent the wheel, also I would like to keep all my games and friends in one place.

I would be similarly sad to see it leave Steam. I don't play any modern/online PC games outside of Steam, nor do I feel a want or need to. I'm assuming the move to a proprietary platform would be in order to have proper control over the data, mitigate costs on Trendy's end, not be reliant on Steam infrastructure, etc. That and, of course, providing the cross-platform play they always wanted (but couldn't provide) for the original DunDef. There could be benefits to it, despite the obvious annoyances and pitfalls. I'll play DD2 in some form, no matter where it ends up, but of course I'd prefer to have it on Steam. My playtime would be far less, likely, if it's not on there.

Like folks said above: Steam provides a consistency, community, and all-encompassing experience that services like XBLA pioneered on consoles. This is with regards to games, content, friends, online play, communication, and the like. Then Steam got rid of nearly all the red tape and archaic restrictions that ended up making XBLA a terrible place for indie developers to release on. I don't see any reason to leave Steam, at this point, as it provides such a wealth of freedom and price control for developers. But maybe they are planning for the future, as Steam is facing a bit of turmoil in recent months. Competition in pricing, the "Linux or bust" attitude of Valve's boss, etc.

I'm reluctant to use anything but Steam, the lack of Steam is one of the major factors why GW2 didn't work for me =/

I'm reluctant to use anything but Steam, the lack of Steam is one of the major factors why GW2 didn't work for me =/

Same here. I had stopped playing PC games over a decade ago, but what brought me back this past year was Steam. More specifically, how Steam mirrored the things I liked about consoles like the 360 (and then improved them in places they severely needed it.) It had the things I described above: the consistency, social connectivity, centralized achievements and leaderboards, streamlined communication and matchmaking - all bringing together and rounding out the entirety of your game library. You don't feel isolated, even when you play single-player titles. And in online MP titles, you feel like you're part of the big picture rather than just one specific online game world.

Those aforementioned things were already on 360, but Steam fixed the glaring stuff that 360 lacked. It gave developers control over their pricing, it allowed them to add new content and patch games as often as they like, as big as they like - for free. It added features like screenshot sharing, Steam workshop, and the like. It has created a nigh-perfect environment for both gamers and developers, new and old. As good as a game as GW2 seems to be, stepping away from that wonderful Steam environment is not something I'm eager to do. Like people said before, having half a dozen different gaming platforms on your PC just leaves your experience segmented. It makes it impossible to devote proper time to all of them, and in the end leaves many people feeling apathetic (rather than "enamored with choices" as the platform owners would lead you to believe.)

I agree, I don't need any other platform than steam.

Anyways, what is this new "Ups" feature on the forums?
Is it similar to a like button? And how do you "Ups" a thread?

I agree, I don't need any other platform than steam.

Anyways, what is this new "Ups" feature on the forums?
Is it similar to a like button? And how do you "Ups" a thread?

If i remember correctly, it's a system to determine how much people have contributed and allowing other people to "like" your post will count towards total score and eventually you gain rewards for having highest score or something.

If i remember correctly, it's a system to determine how much people have contributed and allowing other people to "like" your post will count towards total score and eventually you gain rewards for having highest score or something.

Also you "up" it by clicking the button the bottom right site of a post.

Ah ok, thanks guys. I remember you could "rate" a thread with the old 5 star system via thread tools, it seems that has been discontinued.

I like this new system,it promotes positivity in the forums. :)

Release it on Steam, use Playverse servers.
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Think about it, they made it so we have the option to play with Gamespy on DD1 even though the game was on Steam.

Not to mention the steam workshop. This was a huge part of DD 1 and gave us lots of new player created content to enhance the experience. I'm sure some of the creators of such content will be disappointed if they are not able to do the same with DD2.

Lol well yes. I feel like this is a reasonable question/concern. Why wouldn't we ask questions? I'm sure trendy would like to know our questions and concerns. They may not have an answer for them but it is important to be in touch with your consumers.

We'll be talking to Valve at GDC about getting Dungeon Defenders II on Steam. We've already spoken briefly and it's something we both (and of course, you all) want :).