Solo Summit Insane - A How To Guide

A lot less words this time around because I have videos. I apologize for the terrible sound quality, I don't have money for video capture software and this one was free. The picture seems good and it can do up to 10 minutes so I went with it. I'm also new to the whole video making thing.

The videos are done with 7.06b. I have confirmed it still works the same in 7.07 I didn't notice any difference at all. (I will edit this if it stops working due to a future patch).

I also want to thank Tr1poD who posted a setup on page 3 of this thread back when my old setup with squire towers was posted. I modified his setup to get the one I use currently.

What You Will Need

1) A defense setup that you can basically afk other than ogres and the dragon. (My setup below, but other than key parts it's flexible I'm sure)

2) A hero spec character that can put out lots of dps, move really fast, and not die. Obviously a huntress is great because she's easy, but you can easily use any character, my video is using an apprentice so no one can argue it was "the uber huntress" doing the work. Increase defense (generic and/or fire), health, dps, and move speed as needed.

3) A little bit of luck. There's some aspects of this fight which are slightly random and if things are randomly wrong it can go bad. Specifically what direction the boss moves and poison immune spawns.

My Setup

I made a point to open the hero info window so you can see my stats in the videos. The first video is the first 2 waves and me doing the full setup I used. So here is the setup video:

Yes, those ARE magic barriers way off in middle of nowhere on those towers and NO they are not a useless waste of DU.

Important: The dragon AI is set to shoot fireballs at you or the defense that is closest to him. If you don't have the magic barriers he shoots fireballs at your useful defenses. Magic barriers are dirt cheap in both mana and DU and have decent enough health to take a blast or two. You should try to repair/upgrade them if able DURING the dragon fight, do not upgrade before the dragon fight. You can see this working during the boss fight video ~3:08 I'm running up to where he's landed and as I'm approaching he's staring and my magic barrier and not me or my defenses.

I didn't record the waves after setup and before the boss because there's nothing worth seeing. Just kill ogres, upgrade whatever, run around, spin in circles, jump on mages' heads for kicks, whatever you want to do after the ogres are dead.

You will likely have to do the occasional repair because of poison immune warriors getting through or if you are slow on the dual ogres in the final wave. The warriors have always died before destroying anything when I've done it, and I've done it 5 times today.

Dragon Fight

Now the fun starts... Assuming you were basically able to afk through the last few waves the only thing that's going to screw you is the dragons fireballs. Good news, you CAN control where he shoots those fireballs (most of the time).

If you are near the dragon he will shoot fireballs at you, learn to dodge them. If you have your defenses behind you so when you dodge the fireball goes and hits your defenses... bad things happen. So don't do that. Stay up in the towers around the edges as much as you possibly can. If you are not close enough to the dragon, which happens sometimes, he shoots at the nearest tower/wall. Enter the "Magic Barriers of Hey Shoot ME!!!" If the dragon has shot one of these, upgrade it if you can manage without dying (the first upgrade is way faster than repairing).

Whatever you do, really try to NOT DIE. Dying is a huge problem because it resets the dragons aggro and takes you out of it for a few seconds. He will most likely nuke a magic barrier or two and possibly other important things before you come back. It is "technically" possible to never get hit by the dragon, though I suck at it (as you will see). This is where the fire resist comes in... unless he's biting you then generic too.

Assuming you do everything "perfect" (hahaha, we all know that's not happening) you could spend hours killing the dragon since you can control where the fireballs go and the firebreath isn't going to touch anything. In reality of course you want to slaughter him fast. If he's in the air you really want to hit him with the ballistas ASAP. This is where the move speed comes in handy. If he's on the ground, well hurt him. If you miss with the ballista, and let's face it it's probably gonna happen (I miss a lot), FOLLOW HIM. Chase him around and shoot at him if you can, otherwise just prance around like the silly little squire that you are and try to send his fireballs off in to the great nothing above and/or in to a wall.

This video is not the "perfect run" by any stretch and honestly I think it's better that it's not for the purposes of this guide. It kinda illustrates how well this works and that you can do "awesome" things like jump straight in to a fireball (~5:35, I was trying to save my tower... yes... that's my story and I'm sticking to it) or lose several towers and still succeed without worrying too much.

So that's about it. It worked for me, hopefully this helps you, or someone else. This setup has yet to fail me, in fact the above video is the closest I got to failing so far. If there is enough demand for a setup with a particular class combination I may post videos or screenshots of additional setups. I am also open to possibly doing videos of "How to do (insert level) on Insane with (insert classes)."

Some Extra Stuff
From page 5 of this thread:
Just a couple of tips I think you should mention if people are having trouble with the final boss fight.

Squire with 100% block on their weapon takes no damage from any source including dragon fire and the fireballs. Useful if you're having trouble staying alive when the dragon lands.

Huntress can also go invisible to not be targeted by the dragon fire or fireballs. Not sure if that's helpful since the fireballs will be targeted against your defenses instead.

The runed circle in between the two upper eternia crystals will glow yellow once in a while. If you stand on it when it glows, it'll teleport you to the ballista closest to the dragon. Useful if you're having trouble catching up.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll definitely have to give this a go later. How does your defense fair later on vs kobolds without blockades?

I'll definitely have to give this a go later. How does your defense fair later on vs kobolds without blockades?

I didn't have any problems with kobolds. They would all walk just in to my ensnares and start lighting fuses, very slowly, and then catch a bowling ball to the face. The ones in the south will actually light there fuses before coming up the stairs most of the time, basically next to the bowling balls but down below. The ensnares there actually get the bottom part of the lane and the top part so the kobolds have a really long, slow, run and either get a bowling ball to the face, or blow up long before they get to my bowling balls.

I suppose poison immune kobolds could be a problem, and I think the occasional one did get through, as well as poison immune warriors. That's one of the things that come back to the "little bit of luck" though. Every so often I did find a bowling ball tower or two slightly damaged but generally nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the guide. I've been trying to solo it with a similar setup but every time I get to the last wave the assassins go nuts and jump all over everything and destroy my defences. I'll try with two bowling turrets on each top stair like you have as I only had one and was using a bunch of harpoons.

Thanks for the guide. I've been trying to solo it with a similar setup but every time I get to the last wave the assassins go nuts and jump all over everything and destroy my defences. I'll try with two bowling turrets on each top stair like you have as I only had one and was using a bunch of harpoons.

I actually had that exact problem too, it's why I switched to bowling balls. I found there were two things happening with harpoons. The first was that harpoons don't have knock back, which is helpful for keeping the warriors away obviously. Partly because it moves them back but also because warriors have their "walk" and their "run" animations, run is bad news. When they get knocked back it puts them back in to "walk" at least for a moment.

The other thing that was happening was that the harpoons were getting distracted by wyverns coming in from the sides and shooting at them when they should be shooting at the (insert lots of swear words) warriors. So they just ran by and messed everything up. Bowling balls DO shoot "at" wyverns by that's actually good if anything because then there's a steady stream of balls for the warriors to run in to.

This is a great solo guide thanks for posting it.

I will have a complete duo guide with video and audio commentary up in 20minutes. I will make a new thread with a title starting with [VIDEO GUIDE] like my last one so keep an eye out for it if you are interested.

I like the guide, good job going to give it a shot today when I get off work.

One thing I think you can try is instead of 4 strikers just 2 S&D towers if you put them diagonally they hit all wyverns and it would free up a lot of DU if you need them for something else (like maybe some harpoons behind the cannons)

How do you deal with the Ninjas/Assassins no matter what I do they always seem to jump right over the bowling ball turrets and rape face, the worse part is they always do it when im fighting the ogres.. so its either let ogres rape my turrets or ignore the assassins raping my other turrets.. it just seems like ****ty on RNG I dont know, but this map is starting to piss me off. I have more then able char/build/weapons to do this.

How do you deal with the Ninjas/Assassins no matter what I do they always seem to jump right over the bowling ball turrets and rape face, the worse part is they always do it when im fighting the ogres.. so its either let ogres rape my turrets or ignore the assassins raping my other turrets.. it just seems like ****ty on RNG I dont know, but this map is starting to piss me off. I have more then able char/build/weapons to do this.

I found once I had the bowling balls and ensnares in place it just wasn't an issue for me. It is the case that how you line up the bowling balls matters. I always place them so if they both fire straight there will be a pair of bowling balls rolling side by side down the path so the aiming looks like this 'l l'. If you aim them towards the center so their aiming looks like this 'V' or this '^' it doesn't work as well.

Also my auras were quite large. I had the Ensnares so that on the top 3 sets of BBs the auras edge slightly overlapped the nose of the BBs and the other edge almost reached the opening the mobs came out of. Ensnare also slows actions of mobs so I put it so close so if they get in front of them they don't swing so fast. The bottom 2 sets were partially protected by the DSTs as well, that's why they're angled the way they are, they get the wyverns but shoot other stuff in their spare time. You could re-angle one of them to get the side wyverns and shot stuff to the north and side by putting it south of the crystal so it shoots through the crystal. Also the Auras on the bottom were placed so they actually got the lane twice, once down below and again when they came up top which gave extra time for DSTs to pick stuff off.

If none of that works for you, I'd say it's the "little bit of luck" thing because a poison immune warrior is a serious problem if they also decide to jump instead of just run at the BBs.

another way

yours still sound interesting but i think it last a long time. For me the aura placement was similar but in the end i just leave everything behind and just go all out on the boss (use invis in the hunter to avoid the bite), seems to work just fine for me as he dies before any creep hit my crystal. happy to help

link to thew tower placement

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976811454/screenshot/631855309548206712?tab=public

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197976811454/screenshot/631855309548208954?tab=public

notice that i put an spike barricade on each choke point to make the warriors hit them instead of the bowling towers

I just want to say that your build is almost exactly what I use (minus the magic barriers - good idea though!) and I hope that all the FAIL tower building squires will study your map/tower placement long and hard before playing this map again. I can't tell you how many horrible tower builds I've seen - slice'n'dices on the upper stairs to name a few...*shudder*

Good work!

I think I put apprentice towers in front of my bowling balls and S&D at the crystals. But everything else the same, minus the stuff built up on the tower tops. Can't remember if i was able to solo it or not though. Think I had some weaken aura's where ogres would come from. Can't remember.

Wow, thanks for the guide.

Having never really used Huntress it was a bit difficult aiming the pierce shot at first... but I just beat him... barely

But... I don't see how this would work for Squire (my main).

Seeing as Squires are... slow as hell and if you invest in his speed, you reduce hp/dmg/repair....

That and I can't see Squires dealing enough damage without dying like the Huntress.

My huntress was doing 18k Pierce shots. My Squire can deal from 25-32k DPS with rage on on the dummy. Or 12k DPS stand alone.

Wow, thanks for the guide.

Having never really used Huntress it was a bit difficult aiming the pierce shot at first... but I just beat him... barely

But... I don't see how this would work for Squire (my main).

Seeing as Squires are... slow as hell and if you invest in his speed, you reduce hp/dmg/repair....

That and I can't see Squires dealing enough damage without dying like the Huntress.

My huntress was doing 18k Pierce shots. My Squire can deal from 25-32k DPS with rage on on the dummy. Or 12k DPS stand alone.

That's some pretty crappy squire damage. My hybrid does close 1o 100k with enrage going and he isn't even very well equipped armor wise for DPS.

That's an interesting setup to use, I personally love my fireball + elec aura too much haha. But that requires a bit more maintenance.

Out of curiosity, what weapon do you have on your Squire?

Cause I've got a 1.2k Physical damage sword.

If you've got an elemental weapon which I forgot works on bosses. What is it? And does the Elemental damage scale with Hero Attack?

Edit: If I'm getting 25k from 1k sword, that would mean you have at least a 5k elemental weapon or something.
I guess if I get a high base elemental damage weapon I could kill him.

If I'm unlucky I need to deal about 800k worth of damage in 10 s. so... about 8-9k base damage. D:

in a squires case i think elemental sorta does scale with hero attack while in blood rage because im pretty sure that scales with hero attack.

an alternative setup ( the one i use ) is
lower middle 3 cannonballs lined side by side with 2 spike blockades
lower left 2 cannonballs lined side by side with 2 spike blockades
lower right 2 cannonballs lined side by side with 2 spike blockades
right 1 cannonball with 1 spike blockade
left 1 cannonball with 1 spike blockade
upper left 2 cannonballs one in front of the other 1 spike blockade
upper right 2 cannonballs one in front of the other 1 spike bloackde
top left crystal 1 harpoon behind crystal facing wyverns (both from centre and corners) with a SnD elevated on the edge
top right crystal 1 harpoon behind crystal facing wyverns (both from centre and corners) with a SnD elevated on the edge

was gonna try and take a screenshot in game but it F12 didnt work? and print screen gave me a black image, might have to do window mode next time.