Sign in to follow this  
Batman878

Should I?

I keep getting noobs coming in my tavern asking me to get them to level 74. My question is: Should I? I don't mind doing it at all, but the voices inside my head tell me (among other things) "Don't do it, you're ruining the game for them."

So... Should I?

This is a tough one. Yes getting to level 74 is a big accomplishment (and challenging at first) but I agree that the best part of my playing experience was the pre DLC (pre powerleveling) days.
I guess I would go on a case by case basis. Take someone who has already played through the game and has had most of their Pre-DLC fun and are moving into the "point of no return" powerlevel/farming addiction.
I would say most of their characters would have to be 70+ and they must have learnt enough by actually playing to be considered good for their level.

Don't do it, I would show them a build on easy or medium first and let them learn from there. Maybe go along as a DPS back up as they try to build a stage themselves and offer advice. PLing new players when they first start out is IMHO ruining the game for them.

When I found out that 90 was the cap, I made it my goal to get a character there as fast as I could. So I power leveled non stop for what seemed like forever, and finally hit 90. This was the biggest mistake I have ever made. While its very cool to have high level characters, I completely missed out on playing the actual game, because all I did was power level. I now have some serious discrepancy between my 90 and my other characters, as well as, my actual skill level. What I wish I would have done, was, bring all my characters along at roughly the same rate, and hopefully my skill level as a player would increase at that rate as well. Sure it may seem slower, but I believe I would have been better off in the long run taking that route. 74 is kind of a key number, that once you get there, the game seems to open up and have much more to offer you. However, with that being said, jumping from 70-74 is really not that big of an undertaking. But it is of my opinion that those are the key levels that will help develop you as a player. This is just my opinion though

When I found out that 90 was the cap, I made it my goal to get a character there as fast as I could. So I power leveled non stop for what seemed like forever, and finally hit 90. This was the biggest mistake I have ever made. While its very cool to have high level characters, I completely missed out on playing the actual game, because all I did was power level. I now have some serious discrepancy between my 90 and my other characters, as well as, my actual skill level. What I wish I would have done, was, bring all my characters along at roughly the same rate, and hopefully my skill level as a player would increase at that rate as well. Sure it may seem slower, but I believe I would have been better off in the long run taking that route. 74 is kind of a key number, that once you get there, the game seems to open up and have much more to offer you. However, with that being said, jumping from 70-74 is really not that big of an undertaking. But it is of my opinion that those are the key levels that will help develop you as a player. This is just my opinion though

Still plenty time :-) once you hit level 78 pretty much power levelling anyway. You haven't missed much.

No. Your instincts are right IMO. Give them advice; that's also a strong suit of yours from what I've read.

Indeed. I kinda held back on running high end maps with players below level 74. I'm glad someone else's voices are telling them the same thing. Makes me feel a little better about my own.

There is nothing wrong with listening to the voices within your head. I listen to mine all the time especially when they start to contemplate the meaning of life or why you can't convert yards into meters exactly or why McD's fries taste better than BK's or why there is no In-and-Out Burger in MN.... They always seem to argue about the most relevant things in my life. XD

This is a tough one. Yes getting to level 74 is a big accomplishment (and challenging at first) but I agree that the best part of my playing experience was the pre DLC (pre powerleveling) days.
I guess I would go on a case by case basis. Take someone who has already played through the game and has had most of their Pre-DLC fun and are moving into the "point of no return" powerlevel/farming addiction.
I would say most of their characters would have to be 70+ and they must have learnt enough by actually playing to be considered good for their level.

Very much agreed. I generally set a level 74 requirement in order to join in on the maps that give a boat load of experience. All for the sake of the player, of course.

Don't do it, I would show them a build on easy or medium first and let them learn from there. Maybe go along as a DPS back up as they try to build a stage themselves and offer advice. PLing new players when they first start out is IMHO ruining the game for them.

Absolutely. That's what I've been doing with those that are below level 70.

I told you don't touch that darn Mistymire map! You never listen to me! Jokes aside though, I agree that level 74 is a very important stage of the game. It seems to me as it's just the second part of the game, just like the second part of a movie. You've seen the first part and it was so good that you definitely want to see the second part. Then you start smoking some Mistymire and injecting yourself some Morrago. And drinking some Aquanos.

I think most young kids bounce from game to game. If they are like my son he played for a while, then quickly moved on to a new game. You'll probably be leveling someone that may quit in a week or so. If you only knew which ones would stick it out?

Btw, I'm still leveling these characters just for my son. Yeah, that's it.

Batman, you know where i stand.
You have 1 flaw, you're too nice. Unfortunately, a lot of guys will take advantage of your generosity. You spend so much time leveling new guys i don't bother even asking if wanna play with me anymore :(
But i don't think you can help yourself, back to your flaw again......
But do whatever makes you happy man.

Btw, you wanna help my subaccounts get to 78, they're 74 right now :)

Batman, you know where i stand.
You have 1 flaw, you're too nice. Unfortunately, a lot of guys will take advantage of your generosity. You spend so much time leveling new guys i don't bother even asking if wanna play with me anymore :(
But i don't think you can help yourself, back to your flaw again......
But do whatever makes you happy man.

Btw, you wanna help my subaccounts get to 78, they're 74 right now :)

But they're just so clueless... Using a Squire-only build for Insane+ D:

And sure, I'll be on in a few.

Edit: Oh and yeah, what's the PSN ID?

Do your own thing.

Thank you for providing such a helpful answer.

I think most young kids bounce from game to game. If they are like my son he played for a while, then quickly moved on to a new game. You'll probably be leveling someone that may quit in a week or so. If you only knew which ones would stick it out?

Btw, I'm still leveling these characters just for my son. Yeah, that's it.

That's been my concern for a while as well, but the voices in my head tell my not to care about it. And they're usually right. And besides, getting to 74 is so short that I don't really mind if the person I power-leveled quits the game after a while. Their loss... lol

I think it's great that you help noobs out. The help of the community and individuals such as yourself is what kept me from really quitting this game (besides the fun factor of course.) :D We all played with people before that just wants to leech off of other people's work but there are a lot of noobs that genuinely need the help, so it's definitely going to be on a case-by-case basis whether helping them is warranted. My thing is, if they put forth effort into learning more about the game, then I'm all for helping.

when i'm playing online i don't mind leveling noobs that come in my game
i consider they should know for themselves that 'fast-forwarding' to end game level thx to the help of high level players can potentially ruin their experience
so i just let them decide

Don't wana sound like a d bag but noobs often turn to duping especially little kids so I don't like to help them anymore. Just being honest about wut I think

I don't understand what you mean by "ruin the game for them". Although helping others is good, if someone asked me to help them I would to a certain point. they need to learn some stuff on their own but we cant let some people just going around wondering about things. That's what school is for. Depending on their levels, I wouldn't get ALL of their characters to lvl 74.

I don't understand what you mean by "ruin the game for them". Although helping others is good, if someone asked me to help them I would to a certain point. they need to learn some stuff on their own but we cant let some people just going around wondering about things. That's what school is for. Depending on their levels, I wouldn't get ALL of their characters to lvl 74.

Skipping the actual game is what I mean. You know, when the game isn't about running the same map 20-30 times a day.

I keep getting noobs coming in my tavern asking me to get them to level 74. My question is: Should I? I don't mind doing it at all, but the voices inside my head tell me (among other things) "Don't do it, you're ruining the game for them."

So... Should I?

My honest opinion from what I see here, you're kindness is actually a weakness. You aren't ruining the game for them but you are ruining their will to play 2 ways either they will play to level on their own or when you say no they will just quit or after you level them up they will just quit the game. People are weird, They like to leech and quit. I know because I played various mmorpgs, and online games. When you help people level up they eventually quit, when you don't they still quit anyway. I wouldn't help them just because I am not going to spend countless hours on someone who isn't going to be grateful or just end up quitting.

But do what you think is right,And sometimes Saying no is better than lending a hand. Trust me.

best part of the game is leveling to 74 so i wont help them lol

i think you should help them, but teah them along the way. i say this because more than likely, they are just going to go to another lobby to get someone to help them.

I would say no. When I ask people to help me, I don't treat it like "Im to lazy to do it myself, so you do it for me" I mean it in a way like "Nobody will let me join them cuz im a noob, can we play together?" I have that problem where my characters are unbalanced, my DPS is pretty good but my towers are bad. I feel like if I were to help a person too much, they wouldn't really be able to do anything without me.