Sign in to follow this  
draemn

[Bi-weekly] Master Strategist - Who can build the best?

Description: In this event, players will compete solo to create the best tower defences with limited resources. This will test your skill and ability to build and be creative with towers and not how good your stats are!

Thank you to CrzyRndm for creating a custom map to provide you with all the items you will need for this and future challenges: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130821572
If you need additional hero levels to spec hero points, please use this map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=84345690

Map: The Ramparts
Mode: NMHC Survival wave 12 start
Disqualified towers: No EV beams except reflects. Limited to 35 MU.
Tower stats limit: Limited to 1000 for every tower stat.
Win condition: highest wave (I quit at wave 19 in my testing)
Deadline: March 12

Prizes: Supreme armour/currency. If you wish to help out with prizes, judging, or map contest constraints/scoring, please get in touch with me by private message. Prizes will be rewarded to the following categories:
- Highest survival wave reached.
- Person with the most interesting/creative build. This is purely based on opinion of judge(s).
- Runner up or honourable mention. Will be picked out of the 5 best scores based on opinion of judge(s).

In addition to winning prizes (mana, armour, currency, etc), the person also has the option to feature their build on my youtube or live-stream. Depending on time constraints, this may not be all 3 winners.

Rules (living): Rules will only be modified during an event period to deal with serious flaws in the structure that allow unfair advantages/exploits to the score system.

• Players may not use map stalling tactics with gas traps out of tower range.
  • You are NOT allowed to do any hero/pet damage after this first wave. Plan smart for stuck djinn/enemies at end of map to ensure they can be killed! It is permissible to "move" your towers in any manner you see fit to deal with stuck mobs at end of map.
  • Players may use both pets on their summoner if they wish (hint hint).
  • Players must provide a screenshot of their build in action (so we can see build + MU/DU used). In addition, they must provide the final score screen and screenshots of all builder stats.
  • All entries must be verifiable. Top winning submissions will be disqualified if the build is tested and does not work.

*The approximate schedule of events will be bi-weekly, but may fluctuate between 11-17 days between new maps depending on extraneous circumstances.

"No summoned minions allowed"

It's there under the map specific rules. maybe I need to make it more obvious that's where the current map and specific rules are? yes, the idea of rough stats cap is good, because then I don't have to worry about as much.

"No summoned minions allowed"

It's there under the map specific rules. maybe I need to make it more obvious that's where the current map and specific rules are? yes, the idea of rough stats cap is good, because then I don't have to worry about as much.

I thought I had seen it somewhere but I missed it. LOL.

Technically eagle won because he was the only one who submitted.

Next event will be up soon. For this event, I will provide a survival map, limits on what heroes and what stats you can use and winner will be determine by who gets the furthest. Of course, master strategist will still be required.

I have to do some testing for hero stats limits, but the map will be ramparts mixed mode NM and no EV beams or summoners (evil chuckle)

I will finish updating the new event/contest Friday night. I just want to test out the stats range I am going to make you play at before I go ahead and finalize it as I know it will be really challenging not using EV or summoner :P

FYI first wave you can use any dps hero you want and still get master strategist. Also, I found that an enrage aura really really helped things out (for my build anyways).

FYI first wave you can use any dps hero you want and still get master strategist. Also, I found that an enrage aura really really helped things out (for my build anyways).

That will help A LOT as I'll be able to upgrade more. Will give it a shot tomorrow I guess.

I can understand disallowing EV's TBB/Phys walls, but why the proton/shock beams? They are seriously underused, and take some real thought to work well (if they were heavily exploited somehow in the previous challenge, I suppose that makes sense ;))

Anyway, giving ramparts a good roughing up sounds like fun :D

EDIT:
The chopper landing by the dual crystal is not nice. Barring that destroying everything again, a few more tweaks and I think I can do ~5 waves (no minions, I wanted to get started ;)). I think reaching 20 is doable, although Ill have to solve that dammed chopper landing first.

Each challenge will have different restrictions/goals. I originally wanted to just say no EV period, but I found that it made it too hard without any reflects.

The chopper you spoke of gave me the most trouble by far out of the whole map :) If you can do this with no minions, you are a god. I tried 2 builds without minions and it was just so frustrating that I decided to add a limited number of minions.

Tried once more, jester first wave then 2 summoners with 4 apprentice guardians. Got to just under 500 minions into wave 17. Didn't get master strategist award tho, which is weird considering I stayed on my summoners all the time after the initial wave.

Very odd. Here is the description again:

Master Strategist Only used Defenses to harm all enemies after the initial wave. Pet damage stops the player from achieving this award. Not available on Easy difficulty.

I see no reason for huntress guardians to stop this. I would think that is the initial wave as well... I'll test to see if the problem is starting on wave 12.

It would appear the problem is that master strategist is a campaign only reward, so we will just have to use a honour bases system for no hero/dps after the initial wave. Apologies for the mistaken info.

In future, it might be a good idea to stay away from mix mode.

Mix Mode on the original maps essentially equates to DEW/mage spam. A bad roll on DEW strength is a long way towards ending any attempt, and mages just love to clog everything. Seeing this is also essentially a competitive challenge (although the idea is to get people to try different things), people can get lucky and have smooth sailing all the way through or just get inundated on the first wave (One attempt I counted 495/~1500 DEWs, some of which were in the region of a mil HP and that was on the very first wave...).

Anyway, I have a no-MU build that was working brilliantly (until I got knocked over the side -.-). Somehow survived till 1600 mobs of W14 with no repairs. Still working on that stupid chopper landing, but its only edge cases now ;)

The MM was a mistake. I actually made a mistake by putting that (out of habit). Since nobody has finished a submission, I will fix that. Thanks for pointing it out!

P.S. ensnare works wonders on a chopper ;)

Edit: I made it to wave 19 thanks to a summoner with app/huntress guardian combo :). I quit at that point as I really feel like going to bed. I can easily see wave 22 if I wanted to spend the time doing that.

Tried once more, jester first wave then 2 summoners with 4 apprentice guardians. Got to just under 500 minions into wave 17. Didn't get master strategist award tho, which is weird considering I stayed on my summoners all the time after the initial wave.
Please do it with just 1 character in game. I don't have the time to test balance of getting 2 additional guardians vs the mob scaling.

Guardians are so OP :P My guardians are the difference between the towers killing everything before they become a problem and things starting to "stack up" to critical mass.

I tried 5 times and can't get past wave 12. I will attempt it again with the mm off now. Maybe that will help. I guess I need to go farm some guardians first. I haven't been using a summoner.