I bought the game through gamestop. I'm trying to get the dlc content but steam keeps telling me I need to buy the game. Anyone have any advice?

ugh.. Ok, where can I find that? I've checked my email and I haven't gotten any code yet, unless its in the file or game?

If you bought the game through gamestop, the game should come with an activation code. This could be on the inside of the casing / boxing / whatever package came in. If not inside on a hand out, possibly an activation code on a card inside? Check everything they gave you, receipt included. If you still can't find it, call the store and find out how to activate it. Hope this helps.

I would assume then the information would be emailed to you for an electronic receipt. :(

I did a direct download buy.

A quick look at the gamestop page makes no mention of Steamworks or Steam in general, i may have missed it of course.

I would contact Gamestop support and ask if the version of the game they sell is Steamworks and if it comes with a Steam activation code. If it does, then you would need to ask where to find it. If the version Gamestop sells comes with a Steam activation code.