Sign in to follow this  
CrzyRndm

DDDK needs a little TLC

I returned to the DDDK after a long absence to update a TC I made a long time ago, and I've been having some problems with it. It runs absolutely fine un-cooked, but if I cook it, most of the textures in the game go missing and are replaced with a checkerboard pattern. I'm not changing or even touching any textures in any way with my TC, and I even created a blank TC and cooked that to make sure, and it still happens. Has anyone else seen this or know what's wrong?

Repro Steps:
[LIST=1]
Create a new Total Conversion using DunDefTools
Cook the Total Conversion
Play the cooked TC
When you get to the menu screen. most of the textures and particles should be messed up.

This is what I see.

As above, any time a total conversion is cooked majority of the textures get extremely funky. Its fine uncooked, but then you're locked into solo play which is a little annoying.

At least the previous two versions of the cooker have had this exact issue.

Trendy, if you want to support modders, working tools really help. I don't particularly want to throw the hours I've put into my mod down the drain b/c of a stupid graphical glitch, but all my efforts to alleviate the problem have been to no avail (replacing TC texture file with the standard one causes instant CTD, etc.)

Fix would be very much appreciated :)

Trendy needs to get on this. All the RNG crap of this game has lead me to stop playing completely, and I would try to get friends into the game even now if this crap was fixed. This game is only a year old and already dying if not already dead. But if they'd get the DDDK updated and working properly this game could last a very long time.

Bumping. Just for the fact, this man put so much effort into this, and all his work is going to waste. We don't need a "Ranked 2".
We need an item drop system, that allows proper progression. And I don't care if it's for open only

This is currently still occurring, even on a blank/new TC cook. Just when I was going to jump in and try a mod... Makes sense why all of the public TCs all mention to launch through DDDK in uncooked mode. Anyone get a resolution on this?

Of note in a brief triage on this- in the cook process, one of the warnings is that it can't find '..\..\UDKGame\CookedPCConsole\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk'. SM4 is a non-existing cache set on any version of the game; others only have SM2 and SM3. Particularly interesting here is when looking at the cooked copy after this warning it only has SM2 and SM4 in the main folder, and SM3 is placed elsewhere in a redundant folder nest. Could these shader file oddities be the problem? Fits the issue too since a bad shader cache would make a lot of lit surfaces look like corrupted texture instead of shaded...
Guess I'll play with it more tomorrow.

Another point of interest is that the corruption only appears within a certain area of the FOV/Camera and only on certain surfaces, as seen just loading into the game and running around. This leads me to believe it is NOT a texture issue but rather a shader/material issue. Will check in later with possible workarounds if I actually manage to find any (though my hopes aren't up since this most likely needs a tool-side update).

Another point of interest is that the corruption only appears within a certain area of the FOV/Camera and only on certain surfaces, as seen just loading into the game and running around. This leads me to believe it is NOT a texture issue but rather a shader/material issue. Will check in later with possible workarounds if I actually manage to find any (though my hopes aren't up since this most likely needs a tool-side update).

Yes it is a shader issue and it is a problem with the default TC package. If you use the First Person TC to cook your mods, you shouldn't get any errors as whatever shader problem is occuring on TC's being cooked from the default package, does not seem to be present in the First Person TC package (at least not in any tests that I have done.) So that being said, I recommend just using the FP TC as your template (copy it and rename it something else.) There shouldn't be any conflicts and as far as I could tell before the last patch it was up to date. 7.48/49 or what have you.

Hmm...didn't think of that. Doesn't look to have helped though. I renamed Template to Old and made a copy of the FP TC and named it Template, then created a new TC and cooked it and the same issue still occurs. That is basically what you recommended to do, right? Was there anything that you did to the original FP TC files before using it as a template? Because the plain release version is not doing anything different for me. Actually, it doesn't really even work as a TC on its own without me having to recook it anyway, which then leaves it with this issue before I revert back to an uncooked copy... So am I understanding your fix correctly or is there something else I need to do?

[QUOTE](11:08:11:303)Warning, Failed to load '..\..\UDKGame\CookedPCConsole\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk': Can't find file '..\..\UDKGame\CookedPCConsole\RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk'[/QUOTE]

What our problem is. (maybe)

And how to fix it is what I am testing right now. I have the missing file from another Unreal Engine game... going to cook and see if it fixes it.

Edit: And it didn't. It's definitely a shader issue though. I don't know which one it is but it may be the DOF or the Bloom shader. And it turns out both of those shaders are setup in the same Post Process strings so its not them. Which makes me think it is ambient occlusion related issue.

There is a problem that crops up now and then when AO is tweaked on custom maps that shows a big black circle overlay which makes it look like everything is getting incorrectly shadowed. Looking into the post process shaders shows me that the "hurt" material (that red screen flash when your hero gets struck) has a black/white mask material. I think what is happening in that case is the overlay is being rendered and interfering with one of these other post process effects. Either Ambient Occlusion or the Depth of Field/Bloom shaders.

Now as far as our total conversion problem. There is a texture called "random angles" in the engine file which I think is the rainbow colored noise we're seeing. Maybe. I'm just speculating on some things about how/why this is occurring. But I think with some more knowledge on the Post Process files will guide us to the fix and/or maybe a way to do some more interesting things with Dungeon Defenders overall aesthetics.

Agreed, it would definitely be nice to know more about the post process files for both looking into this issue as well as modding knowledge for the community to have for further use. What has interested me right now is that when launched in uncooked mode it displays fine, but when launched in cooked/final mode (regardless of whether its been cooked or not) we see the rainbow static everywhere. I am very interested in figuring out how the different launch protocols are determining what core files get pulled/used as that will most likely tell us which ones need an update/fix... Sadly the only places that I could find that might have that info are compiled binaries :(

Funny that I missed my own note that running the TC in cooked mode without cooking it looks the same as after cooking it- showing that the cooking process is completely missing or fundamentally borking whatever file is causing our issue (as opposed to just making it incorrectly). Still can't find a worthwhile replacement though...looks like all of the DDDK files are v7.47 while the compiled game is up to v7.50.

I have been able to change how the issue looks though by changing around certain cooked files with either the main UDKGame or the FP TC equivalents. Changes were only seen on the UI display though, ie. from OP's posted picture you can see some of the corruption displaying on/over the title UI and I managed to either get that cleaned up or make it severely worse depending on which files I swap. The background static remained unchanged though. Back to the drawing board!

Yeah there is a main file the TC cook process pulls its shaders from and it seems like it is the same file the main engine uses. So my best guess is the master shader file works fine, but one of the post process shaders inside the TC packages is either getting corrupted on cook, or hasn't been tweaked to make a correct draw call from it's compiled state.

If the latter is true there isn't much anyone can do to remedy that as it will be in the source code itself, I imagine. And or just values that playing around with, having no knowledge of what anything does poses a risk of causing a lot of things to break with the game.