Survival Build Guide standards

ONLY VOTE FOR HOW YOU WANT SURVIVAL GUIDES - NOT CAMPAIGN BUILDS!

I would like to try to make a suggested format for making guides that (hopefully) a lot of the people who make guides in the forums will look at and use.

PLEASE LOOK AT THIS LINK BEFORE VOTING:
http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?86718-Guide-Karathiki-NM-Survival-semi-afk-leave-bottom-alone
This is an example of how I annotate my screenshots. I should note that I don't feel I did a good job of easily "showing" where each screenshot is in relation to the whole map and that I do a better job in most of my guides with pictures.

It looks like we may not get a full DDplanner as the owner seems to be AWOL and not updating since Akatiti, so we may be forced to use pictures a lot more (or videos). Still, include suggestions for DDplanner as many great maps are still on it.

Here is what I'll start with to get some ideas flowing:
-Annotating pictures is time consuming, so I don't consider this a must, but HIGHLY recommended!
-Every picture should state all of the towers (and DU of buffs) shown so players don't miss building anything.
-Pictures should be clear easy to view angles with post processing off and traps should not be active. You should NOT use wide angles to show too much at once!
-Showing pictures without minions is great addition (also show a picture with minions) as it makes it easier to see towers & traps.
-(I'm faulty at times for this) Pictures should be in the build phase without any items on the ground, as it makes it hard to see clearly.
-Should always have SOME comments to go with picture to briefly explain any important tower placement or whatever.

-Should video guides be just a couple minutes showing all the towers built for survival builds? Should they show towers being built so you see exact placement and rotation? Should they show with and without minions for clarity?
-Video guides with or without human commentary are highly suggested, but not a must.

-DDplanner can disable minions allowing all of them to be built in the right spot, but sometimes you fit so many minions in one spot it still gets messy. Should minions be built exactly where they should be or just a bit off so they are easy to count/see exactly how many there are. What about just building a few minions and letting the comments say exactly how many archers should go where since you'll not show a few on planner?
-DDplanner traps and auras? How is the best way to deal with the fact that these really overlap badly and *sometimes* you want one or two of your auras staggered compared to the rest... Should we just make users drag and move towers away to show "more exact" position or try to explain in the comments? Obviously when used with pictures we can get away from this problem.

-All guides should should suggest if they feel this build is only for higher stats or can be tried/used with lower stats. Your own builder stats are suggested, but not required as many of us have much higher stats than required.
-All guilds should clarify if it is mixed mode or not, etc. Also clarify if it is intended to clear all waves of the map or just a certain wave for whatever reason (i.e. best loot usually not in last few waves, pet reward, etc).

There is a lot more I could get into, but right now I'm not thinking well.

No written feedback yet? Due to my personal bias of not liking to use video tutorials for build orders, I'm a little shocked how many people really like them. I definitely get the advantage for campaign maps to show the full video with build order, but for survival?

well i can only speak for a few who have commented onna youtube tut i have up but outta the two comments on the vid both liked the tut and one suggested i post a ddplaner link so i went ahead and made one ... so maybe ddplanner to get the basics of the build and then a video tut so that you can be exact

I don't know if the poll is skewed because people don't realize the pool is intended for Survival builds, not campaign.

I don't know if the poll is skewed because people don't realize the pool is intended for Survival builds, not campaign.

Survival only needs screenshots and a DD planner. I can do most builds with only DD planner, but screenshots help me figure out what direction the harps face, and how many minions are on the buff. If you don't have time to look at the build during survival, you are doing something wrong.

Interesting poll. I will be watching the results, although DDplanner + screenshots is the easiest to post and update, so that's what I would do first regardless.

I assume DDplanner + video (short) means a video walkthrough of the completed build? I'm surprised so many people voted for that, but that is informative.

I don't know why but the pictures and dd-planner always seem really messy and hard to understand, so I prefer watching a detailed video.

I assume DDplanner + video (short) means a video walkthrough of the completed build? I'm surprised so many people voted for that, but that is informative.
A LOT of people like video guides surprisingly (to me), but I am not certain if one or two people voted with the intention of survival builds or were thinking of campaign builds. People like videos because they show all the tower placements and most screenshots are done poorly.

I don't know why but the pictures and dd-planner always seem really messy and hard to understand, so I prefer watching a detailed video.
Most people do a bad job at making screenshots, I don't like most screenshot guides because they use bad angles and get lazy and use really high FOV and make a warped looking image that is hard to see. I don't like video because I have to watch it and pause it and if I forget to how to build one small area of the build I have to find that part of the video instead of just looking at a picture or the DDplanner.

Screenshots & DD Planner are much easier to reference when you tab out while building.

this, the annotated screenshots are really nice, I don't like videos much, though they can be a nice addition

so the order of preference for me (because 90% of the time I end up seeing how I can adapt someone elses ideas) is as follows:

annotated screenshots - really easy to reference particular sections
DDPlanner - easy to see the whole build as it stands

videos - really don't like them all that much, but I'll take them if they're all that's available

Most people do a bad job at making screenshots, I don't like most screenshot guides because they use bad angles and get lazy and use really high FOV and make a warped looking image that is hard to see. I don't like video because I have to watch it and pause it and if I forget to how to build one small area of the build I have to find that part of the video instead of just looking at a picture or the DDplanner.

Usually I can just watch a video about one or two times and then remember all the steps. The pictures seem to always have bad lighting and the auras often distort the colors and make it even harder to see clearly. Also, the videos help me see the order in which to build (not that you really need order in survival) and help me see the exact placement of each tower.

I refer to your sky city NMHCMM guide.

In my opinion its a well written guide as I can easily mimic the build without any difficulty.

Your aquanos funky build however, is a little confusing. Perhaps for simple and easy to understand builds you can use just 1 picture and written pointers like how many units and what towers used so that we know what to build, and where to place them.

In Aquanos funky, especially for the tower nearest to the forge its a litle messy and difficult to understand. In this case, perhaps make a general SS, and then zoom in on the SS to show particular tower locations for more clarity.

For survival, as build time is infinite, I believe many ppl, like myself, refer to the guides WHILE building the map. So organization of the guide in sequential order (like the sky city guide) is in my opinion very fine written.

Just my 2cents.

Survival only needs screenshots and a DD planner. I can do most builds with only DD planner, but screenshots help me figure out what direction the harps face, and how many minions are on the buff. If you don't have time to look at the build during survival, you are doing something wrong.

I agree, DD planner is usually enough. The multi layer levels benefit from screeshots, even on survival though.

I really do need to fix up many of my guides as at least 3 of them were made pretty lazy :P

Oh and DDplanner is sufficient, but sometimes people won't read the written tower placement tips or it's really hard to convey them. My karathiki build is on DDplanner, but without the screenshots, it may be confusing what I do on south to make it work and reduce repairs.