humble bundle. can i use dlc and classic version seperated?

hi, i hope this concerns the technical support part.
i have bought the humble bundle and besides of all the other games it says that i get dungeon defenders + all dlc. now i have gotten dd before and wanted to ask if there is a possibility to activate the dlc for me and send the basic game to a friend (i want to show it to him but he is pretty sceptic^^).

i have activated the steam key on my version, but i guess i still have the download possibility without steam. does my friend need the steam version to play with me?

thanks for reading, hope someone can help me.
have a nice day.

is a possibility to activate the dlc for me and send the basic game to a friend

Unfortunately, no.

You could either buy him the Humble Bundle or the base game (it's on sale) for about $7 each way, though.

does that at least mean that the people with the base game and the people playing on steam play on the same server?

thanks for the information Draco18s, since it isnt to expensive i think i will get him to try it^^

does that at least mean that the people with the base game and the people playing on steam play on the same server?

thanks for the information Draco18s, since it isnt to expensive i think i will get him to try it^^

All ranked players play together (playing on ranked requires Steam as it uses various functions built into Steam). You have a few options. If the humble bundle is still going on, grab a copy there (cheapest way possible). If its not, DD is currently 50% off on steam, and could possibly hit another 75% off deal during the sale. Plenty of ways to get your friend addicted.