Sign in to follow this  
cinmay

Linux, Online and Lan not working. Unknown Error

Hi. I'm getting the "dungeon defenders encountered unknown error while logging in." message when I try to play online and I can't find any LAN games when I try to connect two computers localy. Not sure what more I can say about it. I tried it on two different computers, Ubuntu and Gentoo. I Googled for the error but I found only older posts without any solution.

I've got the same problem. Using openSUSE and Dungeon Defenders from the Humble Indie Bundle. Haven't tried online, but LAN does not work. Hosted games don't show up in the list. Found the following command to directly join:
[QUOTE]./DugeonDefenders [/QUOTE]
This is where it gets strange, player A can connect to a game hosted by player B, but not vice-versa. Did some more testing:

• Computer Alpha - openSUSE 12.1
  • Computer Beta - openSUSE 12.1
  • Computer Gamma - openSUSE 12.2
  • Computer Delta - openSUSE 11.3

So, Beta can connect to Alpha, Gamma and Delta. Delta can connect to the other three, Alpha and Gamma can't connect to anyone. All firewalls are turned off.

Step two:

Installed openSuse 12.2 on Computer Alpha, installed Dungeon Defenders: Can't connect.
Installed openSUSE 12.2 on Computer Beta, installed Dungeon Defenders: Can still connect to all others.

Compared installed packages, /etc settings, network config, let Computer Gamma use wireless network, to no avail.

Very interesting. How did you sett up your host game? Can other players connect to the tavern? When it worked, did they enter the match directly or did they have to choose "play online"? and I assume they went through hero selection?

Very interesting. How did you sett up your host game? Can other players connect to the tavern? When it worked, did they enter the match directly or did they have to choose "play online"? and I assume they went through hero selection?

Play Online -> Play Lan Games -> Custom Match -> Host Game

The hosted game does not show up in the list. As I said above I used the direct connect command, so ./DungeonDefenders and the game shows the splash screen and the intro story, you get a turning logo and you are in the tavern. There is no hero selection, as far as I can see the first hero gets selected. Both players can see each other and everything works.

The other way around does not work, if player B hosts and player A, who was the host previously, tries to join he gets the same splash and intro story but ends up in the main menu, no errors, nothing.

Using the -tcp option doesn't change a thing, the logs (using -dowritelog) are useless as they only contain.

[QUOTE](09:51:57:553)Log: Log file open,
(09:51:57:553)Log: Closing by request
(09:51:59:423)Log: Log file closed,
[/QUOTE]

Add in another person who can't get LAN or online functions to work. I use Ubuntu 12.04 and the computer I've been trying to run a game with is on Mint 13.

Another development:

Computers Alpha and Gamma both have 10/100 Mbit network cards. Computers Beta and Delta both have Gigabit cards. We replaced Beta's network card with a 100 Mbit WLAN card and Beta can't connect any more.

So I suspect there is some weird bandwidth minimum that's preventing Alpha and Gamma from connecting. Alpha and Gamma can host and everything seems to work; tavern, starting a level.

Perhaps this goes without saying but I tried the stand-alone none steam version on Windows and it connected to GameSpy immediately.

i tested it with few people from the [[3374,hashtags]] channel from irc.freenode.net
we used latest hamachi + haguichi for linux (to emulate LAN over internet)

we tried everything. connecting directly with ip(hamachi one) at the end of the game executable and looking just for if the game shows on the LAN list , but wasnt able to get connected at all. there seems to be no log about it also.
and yeah. gamespy doesnt work at all as well. looking at the nethog (to monitor my connection resources) i can see that the game even doesnt seem to try to connect. at least no bandwidth is used.

hope go see this resolved asap, since this game is not really meant to be played alone.
ofc better option would be steam linux support, with integrated steam servers.

I've got the same problem. Can't see the LAN games.
Using Ubuntu and Dungeon Defenders from the Humble Indie Bundle - the .mojo.run version

I didnt try connecting directly from the command line.

RichardTo, where did you find the list of command line options?

I've got the same problem. Can't see the LAN games.
Using Ubuntu and Dungeon Defenders from the Humble Indie Bundle - the .mojo.run version

I didnt try connecting directly from the command line.

RichardTo, where did you find the list of command line options?

Dungeon Defenders uses the Unreal 3 Engine. The list of command line options can be found here. I'm not sure if they all work.

The LAN problem is definitely related to the network card. Bought an gigabit network card, installed it on one of the computers that couldn't connect and all of a sudden it can! This doesn't solve the not-showing-in-the-list bug, but direct connect works.

Thanks, RichardTo, for your helpfullness.

The list of command line options you linked to doesent contain the options you mentioned, such as -tcp and -dowritelog.

I tried your recipe to set up a LAN game for my 2 kids, but with no luck at all.
Neither Ubuntu 12.04 machine could connect to the other one, I was sent into the main screen.

So it seems RichardTo is the only single person here that can play a LAN game. Hope you enjoy it!

The LAN problem has got a bug report here (thanks Kai Blaschke):
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5858

It seems that Ryan C. Gordon (Linux porter and owner of icculus.org) is assigned to the bug.

I googled him and he seems a very busy man, so I suppose we will have to wait a while before being able to play this game on anything but single play, which isnt really much fun....

While we wait for multiplay on Linux, does anyone know if there is way to use the Windows version on Ubuntu, with wine or playonlinux or something?

Have one client host a lan game, and then start the other client with ./DungeonDefenders ip.number.of.host

It's too crashy right now though, better off waiting for the new build.

The -tcp and -dowritelog options were from the FAQ. I tried the windows version in wine, the same problems connecting. I only know that since replacing the network adapter, it works.

Hi there,

Just bought the game (again) from HumbleBundle 5.

Its the version v7.48, but unfortinately this version still have the LAN/Multiplayer issue.

I experimented a lot with ./DugeonDefenders on 3 different Linux machines on the same cable LAN.
I got it to work in 2 out of 10 tries from a specific Linux machine A to another machine B hosting a game.
All tries from B to A failes. All tries to/from machine C failed.

Did anyone tried to use a network sniffer to find out what's going on ?