Sign in to follow this  
Ice

Linux Version FAQ

I'm sorry you feel that way :( Trendy hasn't forgotten you exist, but unfortunately they didn't directly make the linux version. Of course, they do have some responsibility to give the rights to do so to someone able to handle the resulting demand. Hopefully this Icculus has just had some technical setbacks and will return.

While steam linux version would be nice, I for one would settle for a working linux version from Humble Bundle. Single player where you can't collect mana efficiently for timed builds is only entertaining for so long. Add me to the list of people who bought the Humble Bundle solely to get DD for linux.

Being curious I installed steam on my xubuntu computer. But after logging in DD is not listed among the linux games in my library. (only killing floor)
I don't need to play it on linux by now - I just want to inform. :)

Apparently there's now a private, closed Linux beta for DD on Steam! \o/
You need a password to try it, not sure who can grant you access.

First you need to install it like normal, then right click Dungeon Defenders, go to Properties, then the Betas tab and select the "linuxbeta - Linux beta testing" item in the dropdown. You will then be prompted for a password.

I can't wait, this'll be great! :-)

Oh, and no, I don't have access either :(

Apparently there's now a private, closed Linux beta for DD on Steam! \o/
You need a password to try it, not sure who can grant you access.

First you need to install it like normal, then right click Dungeon Defenders, go to Properties, then the Betas tab and select the "linuxbeta - Linux beta testing" item in the dropdown. You will then be prompted for a password.

I can't wait, this'll be great! :-)

Oh, and no, I don't have access either :(

For those wondering, if you attempt to install it without beta access, it will appear to install instantly. When you attempt to launch it, you ill get an error saying the following:

[QUOTE]Steam - Error
Failed to start the game (missing executable).

See the Steam support site for more information

(OK)[/QUOTE]

For those who do get in, Valve currently has a github set up for issues regarding the Steam client for Linux, as well as any games that may have bugs. After the beta, if you find any bugs that appear to be issues with the Linux client or the game itself, please post them there. The "missing executable" message is not a bug (any more; it used to be bugged).

That tracker is http://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux.

Historically speaking, games only stay in the closed beta for around a month on average, so it's a good sign. Remember, that's average, so it may take more time or less depending on how well everything plays out.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Linux version of Steam, feel free to drop me an email (information available on my profile) and/or check out the github and forum over at Steam.

-MrSchism (Steam-for-linux github/forum moderator)

I can only play the tutorial

With the lastest update 05/03/2013 the game works fine and controller suport gas given too. But I can only play the tutorial after tutorial when I try to start the game it gets back to the main menu. When tutorial finished you can jump to next level with out going to tavern. When playing (i mean in game) from "Return to Tavern" it returns to main menu again.

(I open a main thead for this too I hope i can get some help

looooaaadd of bugs still, im suprised nobody can fix them, has it not been 4 months since the first crappy
port?
-the game returns to menu instead of going to the actual game, only the tutorial is playable
-there is also absolutely no desktop integration, your essentially locking your controller and mouse into D.D.
until you press the quit button.
-slow and crashable at every step.
everyone needs to get this version together or find a new maintainer, because all this bug-ridden game will
get at this state is maybe 10 cents in a bundle that it's already been in before.
if you have not had the same word's mailed to you, this is not touching steam either until it is as fully
featured and bug free as any other version, which it definitely is not right now.

Yikes

Why be such a hater, sure its bug ridden but its got potential and its nice being part of the development of the game, it was cheap and came with other humble games. its nice that we can support their development for linux.

I cannot login to game spy for the linux version from humble android 5 bundle. Should I start a main thread for that or are the DD developers thinking its going to be better through steam if your a linux user?

looooaaadd of bugs still, im suprised nobody can fix them, has it not been 4 months since the first crappy
port?
-the game returns to menu instead of going to the actual game, only the tutorial is playable
-there is also absolutely no desktop integration, your essentially locking your controller and mouse into D.D.
until you press the quit button.
-slow and crashable at every step.
everyone needs to get this version together or find a new maintainer, because all this bug-ridden game will
get at this state is maybe 10 cents in a bundle that it's already been in before.
if you have not had the same word's mailed to you, this is not touching steam either until it is as fully
featured and bug free as any other version, which it definitely is not right now.

With the lastest update 05/03/2013 the game works fine and controller suport gas given too. But I can only play the tutorial after tutorial when I try to start the game it gets back to the main menu. When tutorial finished you can jump to next level with out going to tavern. When playing (i mean in game) from "Return to Tavern" it returns to main menu again.

(I open a main thead for this too I hope i can get some help

here is the fix

In the directory where you installed the game, edit the file:

UDKGame/Config/DefaultDunDef.ini

Right near the top are two lines like this:

DefaultGameplayLevel=LobbyLevel_Valentines2013.udk
DefaultGameplayLevelRanked=LobbyLevel_Valentines2013.udk

Change them both to be LobbyLevel.udk ... then it will work.

found here:
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5894

So is it not common practice to test software before releasing it to people anymore? This is getting ridiculous. Also, did ANY of the bugs get fixed for this March 5th update?

In the new versions (march 5th/15th), has anyone successfully connected to a hosted game by doing ./DungeonDefenders ipnumber ? I start to connect but get a black screen when entering the tavern, I hear the music and the barkeep but all is black, if I hit escape I see the animated cursor and hear the sounds when I hover over the buttons, and if I can manage to find the button for the options screen, the options screen does come up and is visible. Anyone else experienced this?

So my question is, is there any plans to fix at least the inconstant game play? I mean gems not gravitating to you, f1 chat log not popping up, not being able to split screen, alt + scroll wheel not rotating through auras on ground (I was told this works on windows I have no idea). I stop using windows years ago, but I have seen a few youtube videos of how it's supposed to work. I've never seen a "cross platform" game that has different game play on one OS to another when I can play with the other OS. The windows users have an advantage just for using windows....

I installed through steam and don't have many issues others have posted with the game not running. My game runs fine (after little config file changes), just game play is different. I really don't want to spend more money on DLC if I'm always going to be at a disadvantage to others. Just switching to windows is not an option for me. The concept of the game is great and I would love to get more involved in the game.

Welp, no update for two months, so the linux version is still broken as hell.
I mentioned it on the official DD Facebook page before and have been told that they'll notify the devs.

I understand that you are currently focusing on getting DD II done, but any word on when a patch for this is planned (if at all) would be nice. Especially considering the big announcement and sale you had, when you made the linux version available on steam, it really sucks that it's basically unplayable there, because of crashes and all the gameplay issues, like the mana gravitation.

Welp, no update for two months, so the linux version is still broken as hell.
I mentioned it on the official DD Facebook page before and have been told that they'll notify the devs.

I understand that you are currently focusing on getting DD II done, but any word on when a patch for this is planned (if at all) would be nice. Especially considering the big announcement and sale you had, when you made the linux version available on steam, it really sucks that it's basically unplayable there, because of crashes and all the gameplay issues, like the mana gravitation.

The segfaults are especially annoying; so far I've lost probably 50% of my games from segfaults, especially Survival mode games (frustratingly, most of them in the beginning of Wave 14, grrr.) I've had to reinstall the game three times now, because when the game crashes there's a chance the game files themselves will become corrupt and need to be reinstalled (mercifully the characters themselves seem immune to this corruption). Insane and Nightmare modes are painful to play, because you have to wait for chests to SLOWLY disappear before gathering mana, which wrecks havok on build order.

And there seems to be no end in sight. The bugtracker is devoid of dev attention, the game hasn't had an update in two and a half months, and many of the simplest issues (like naming the Tavern map wrong in the default .ini files, so you can't even get into the game without editing config files) still don't have patches, despite being known for months.

The segfaults are especially annoying; so far I've lost probably 50% of my games from segfaults, especially Survival mode games (frustratingly, most of them in the beginning of Wave 14, grrr.) I've had to reinstall the game three times now, because when the game crashes there's a chance the game files themselves will become corrupt and need to be reinstalled (mercifully the characters themselves seem immune to this corruption). Insane and Nightmare modes are painful to play, because you have to wait for chests to SLOWLY disappear before gathering mana, which wrecks havok on build order.

And there seems to be no end in sight. The bugtracker is devoid of dev attention, the game hasn't had an update in two and a half months, and many of the simplest issues (like naming the Tavern map wrong in the default .ini files, so you can't even get into the game without editing config files) still don't have patches, despite being known for months.

Ugh, okay yeah forget this. I have now tried Survival Hard on Hall of Court 11 times, starting wave 13, gotten segfaults on every single one of them during wave 14. Survival Insane for Ramparts crashes on Wave 11-12. Insane/NM on larger maps is just impossible.

I'm going to set this game aside for a few months and see if someone finally releases a patch for Steam/Humble buyers that takes this game out of, well, alpha, considering you have to hack .ini files to force it to work and necessary game features are still not implemented. If not, well, then I guess I know how much Trendy really cares about the "multiple platforms" part of their mission statement.

Hurr durr

300 mb update, nothing changed. Just as broken as before.

I looked through the bugtracker for a bit and at least found the reason for the XP not gravitating towards the player.
The game uses the nVidia PhysX engine... for this ONE THING. Yeah. And it seems like there's only one guy working on the linux port. And no word from Trendy about this.

Well, considering how things went in the company lately, I'm not surprised nobody got put on the linux dev team. I hope that changes now.

Ugh, okay yeah forget this. I have now tried Survival Hard on Hall of Court 11 times, starting wave 13, gotten segfaults on every single one of them during wave 14. Survival Insane for Ramparts crashes on Wave 11-12. Insane/NM on larger maps is just impossible.

I'm going to set this game aside for a few months and see if someone finally releases a patch for Steam/Humble buyers that takes this game out of, well, alpha, considering you have to hack .ini files to force it to work and necessary game features are still not implemented. If not, well, then I guess I know how much Trendy really cares about the "multiple platforms" part of their mission statement.

Well, it's been a month, and lo and behold, an update!... except the Humble Bundle version was not updated, and apparently the Steam update didn't solve any of the ongoing issues (though I presume they fixed the stupid issue which required you to edit .INI files just to get the game to not crash when you tried to enter your own tavern... if they couldn't fix even that then they're really incompetent).

Oh well, bye. Glad I didn't spend mre than a few bucks on this; obviously noone at Trendy cares at all about Linux gamers.