pretty much finished with this game, my impressions

I actively played this game from about December of last year through September of this year.

One of the reasons why I kept playing (and therefore kept buying all of the DLC) was because of the great community team, the people like Hitmonchan, Ice Arrow (and all his streams), etc. that showed that there are people at Trendy that care and kept me interested in the game. I feel the company owes a great deal of gratitude to these people.

However, I have been reading the forums and seems a lot of problems with the new content are the exact same things that happened before. It's like the exact same mistakes keep happening over and over again to the point where it feels like we're intentionally being trolled by someone.

The whole supreme accessory thing on Tower Wars... was it really necessary to remove them? Were they really that game breaking? Sure, maybe it was unintended, but from what I can tell all this has done is made the cube/rares ****ders happy and the people who are just trying to play the game and have fun unhappy. This same sort of situation happened a lot (King's Game, super loot, trans assault pack weapons, etc) and they seem to keep disappointing the majority of the community with they way they handle it each time.

Admittedly, I did have a lot of fun with the game for while, but that doesn't change the fact that it still has so many problems and that seeing the same oversights happen again and again just gets old. At the present, seeing the way things are currently handled, I just can't justify buying their next game; even the fact that they have a great community team isn't enough to sway me. One thing I would like to see is Trendy to discuss these repeated mistakes or bad design choices they made and explain how they happened and what they will do differently so that such things wont happen in their next game.

One of the other problems I have with this game, and this isn't Trendy's fault (but that doesn't change the fact that it exists) are all the elitest players that somehow derive their enjoyment from other players not having good gear. As an example, I read a post in the Akatiti thread where someone didn't want the method for getting the turtle revealed so that the prices would stay high. Similarly, when King's Game came out, there were players who were complaining that it broke the game and begging Trendy to fix it ASAP while farming it to death. It just seems like so many people care about their in game wealth more than their own personal progression and actually playing the game.

"derive their enjoyment from other players not having good gear. As an example, I read a post in the Akatiti thread where someone didn't want the method for getting the turtle revealed so that the prices would stay high."

Or you know, they dont want it nerfed like Tower Wars was the instant it came out to the public (thanks classic).

But see you in a few weeks.

I learned to ignore this "give out amazing stuff for a few days and let all the top end players farm it and then remove it before the majority of the player base can get in." It always bothered me in the pas that they repeatedly make this mistake, but at the end of the day, I can still farm gear and get what I need to play the game without these random super loot drops. I'm much happier with the game now that I could care less if I get in on this insane day 1 loot drop.

Honestly, I feel like too many people are given good gear or get it too easily and ruin their own game experience. There is nothing wrong with hard work farming mana to buy better items, but people who skip 90% of progression have no clue what they're doing and missed half the game. Sure, some of the parts they skipped are stupid grind boring fests, but they still miss some great parts of the game. A lot of people have builder sets with good NM stats and don't even know how to build a single map or play survival!

I think Trendy has been amazing at working hard to make the game better and more enjoyable for everyone, fixed a TON of bugs, constantly gave out free or cheap DLC, and much more. I still have the odd complaint that they could have done A or B better, but that is just a fact of life that you can't please everyone all the time!

I for one have bought many copies of this game to give to friends and other people so I can support this awesome company and make sure they have the funds to keep up their amazing work :D More than once I have been tempted to see if they have a paypal to send a donation to as a tank you for their hard work. Compared to many of the big guys out there, Trendy treats their community and gamers so much better :D

@Sonos, if they had not patched supreme accessories out of tower wars, it would have caused a massive deflation across many aspects of the economy, not just those accessories specifically. Any accessories bought before because of high stats = worthless, armour would also go down in value because people would say "why would I pay 100x more for stats that aren't much better than my accessories," etc. There would be a trickle down effect and then all the top end traders would instead complain about them being so easy to get. I could be wrong, but the complaints I see are either:

A) It's unfair that people who aren't rich get to be instantly rich by participating in an event or getting a rare item. Only us rich people should be allowed to be rich unless someone works hard to get to where we are.
B) Why are the rich so rich and use lower folks left hanging dry as they get all the good stuff?

But see you in a few weeks.

Actually, I've only booted up the game for about 5 minutes in the past 2 months or so just to look at the new tavern themes. I even wanted to do give away of my stuff, but I honestly don't even feel like starting up the game to do that.

very nice post 5 stars =) . at this i dont even think they bother testing maps before they release them, there are sooo many bugs out there that still havnt been patched and yet trendy pretty much insta pacthes the supreme acc's pretty dissapointing

Actually, I've only booted up the game for about 5 minutes in the past 2 months or so just to look at the new tavern themes. I even wanted to do give away of my stuff, but I honestly don't even feel like starting up the game to do that.

Its fall man so many cool games came out! And the fall sale! I would never expect anyone to boot up too much. I havent much in the past month. Still fun though.

Do what I have done, I play now to enjoy the game. I gave up on worrying about creating more wealth. I gave away a ton of extra armor and over 200 bill in mana.

Do what I have done, I play now to enjoy the game. I gave up on worrying about creating more wealth. I gave away a ton of extra armor and over 200 bill in mana.

Me too! High five! \o

[quote]One of the other problems I have with this game, and this isn't Trendy's fault (but that doesn't change the fact that it exists) are all the elitest players that somehow derive their enjoyment from other players not having good gear. As an example, I read a post in the Akatiti thread where someone didn't want the method for getting the turtle revealed so that the prices would stay high. Similarly, when King's Game came out, there were players who were complaining that it broke the game and begging Trendy to fix it ASAP while farming it to death. It just seems like so many people care about their in game wealth more than their own personal progression and actually playing the game.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. There should be a way for people to get at least the stats ready for nightmare coming out of insane, some map that they could actually do with insane stats and give some good starter myths. But if that happens everyone cries ._.

Its fall man so many cool games came out! And the fall sale! I would never expect anyone to boot up too much. I havent much in the past month. Still fun though.

I recommend trying out AirBuccaneers. It was originally a UT2k4 mod, but is now on Steam as a standalone game. It's a team based ship combat game. You fly around in hot air balloon craft with cannons mounted on them and work together to shoot down the enemy ships. It's a ton of fun.

[QUOTE]The whole supreme accessory thing on Tower Wars... was it really necessary to remove them? Were they really that game breaking? Sure, maybe it was unintended, but from what I can tell all this has done is made the cube/rares ****ders happy and the people who are just trying to play the game and have fun unhappy. This same sort of situation happened a lot (King's Game, super loot, trans assault pack weapons, etc) and they seem to keep disappointing the majority of the community with they way they handle it each time. [/QUOTE]

I've been holding my tongue on this, but I figured I'd state for the record: When I originally devised a system of rewards and included it in the version you see on the workshop, it was not generating remarkable items- just token accessory rewards (which would get slightly better the longer you survived). In giving the work to Trendy, they wanted to remove any item rewards from a competitive map (understandable given what happened with Prez Day). Unfortunately, possibly due to a miscommunication after giving the map, the reward script wasn't completely disabled. As soon as they were made aware of it, they corrected the error. The only reason I did not comment earlier was because I didn't want to create a mad dash to exploit a bug before it was fixed.

Anyway: You can't leave a broken bug in a game just because some people benefited from it. But at the same time, you don't want to punish those people who may not have realized it wasn't intended- they might have gotten rid of older items after getting the new ones. If you took them away, they might have nothing. That is why it wouldn't be wise to go search for and delete them. Besides, probably to make up for this (or not, I have no idea), it's been hinted that there will be another oppertunity to get awesome accessories.

(Small side note: I think that those people who are getting angry over the economy are losing sight of why we all started playing the game and why we liked it in the first place: Because it's fun!)

Methinks Trendy should create a DD monopoly game to cater to the wealth building tycoons, and the market should be more about trades and reasonable auctions. But I am biased towards play for fun not wealth, so what do I know.

Honestly, the drama is a little amusing... you have to admit it's a bit funny to see people get their panties in a bunch over something that doesn't really change the world that much.

One of the other problems I have with this game, and this isn't Trendy's fault (but that doesn't change the fact that it exists) are all the elitest players that somehow derive their enjoyment from other players not having good gear. As an example, I read a post in the Akatiti thread where someone didn't want the method for getting the turtle revealed so that the prices would stay high. Similarly, when King's Game came out, there were players who were complaining that it broke the game and begging Trendy to fix it ASAP while farming it to death. It just seems like so many people care about their in game wealth more than their own personal progression and actually playing the game.

This is true, there is a small but vocal group of elitists that play this game for the wrong reasons. They view the game as strictly competitive, where having better gear makes you a better player and worthy of praise. The kind that will do anything and everything to keep the best equipment in their hands and out of the hands of others. This sort of toxic element exists in all online games, sadly, even titles like this which are designed as strictly cooperative in nature. It's similar to how you'll always find people that play shooters as straight TDM, and care only for their K/DR, even in shooters that are team-based and not reliant on kill count for success.

Don't let them ruin the game for you, though. The majority of the game's long-time players are respectable people, ones who enjoy having fun and fostering a community spirit. The kind who, when they do farm, do so for the good of everyone on the team. There are loads of them who would still love to play DunDef with you, myself included. I've made some good Steam friends here on the forums. I've always respected you as a fellow forum member, for your humor, your contributions, and the like. I don't play DunDef as regularly as I used to, but I'd love to play sometime. Hit me up on Steam, my ID there is the same as my forum name.

Don't let them ruin the game for you, though. The majority of the game's long-time players are respectable people, ones who enjoy having fun and fostering a community spirit. The kind who, when they do farm, do so for the good of everyone on the team. There are loads of them who would still love to play DunDef with you, myself included. I've made some good Steam friends here on the forums. I've always respected you as a fellow forum member, for your humor, your contributions, and the like. I don't play DunDef as regularly as I used to, but I'd love to play sometime. Hit me up on Steam, my ID there is the same as my forum name.

Thanks, but I think part of the problem for me is also that I've just gotten so burned out with the process of building defenses. I've played so much that right now the idea of building a tower set up and going through and 3 starring everything has become very unappealing.

I can agree in some ways that I sometimes feel burnt out always building and having people come in and not be that helpful, but just ride the fun of going DPS all the way. Still, I love trying to make up new builds and figuring out ways to beat the really hard maps or use weird setups! When I really feel burnt out, I just don't even worry about grinding and just play some fun games to relax. I love doing shipwreck monster fest with only aura stacks so nobody can survive afk and you just dps the hell out of stuff. Sometimes I do challenges or easier maps for funzies, etc.

Its been awhile since i came onto the forums. This game is very enjoyable, ive purchase or traded for plenty of copies of this game to give to my friends.

I stopped playing from boredom. Also Gear Progressing in gear was a pain. Grinding days on Aqua for just new gear. Each run only got me one new piece i could actually benefit from.

Is item progression still a big issue?
I never cared for the "elitests" of this game. I dont see a need to keep playing after you hit the point of beating the game.

The game is buggy, especially when it comes to new content. They nerf things (or buff, then nerf) after a certain period.
Im not into the whole trading game. Im normally the one to play the game when other friends are playing since theyre all stuck in insane to nightmare still, and they just gave up after awhile.

I load DD once in awhile only to see myself bored after wave 5. No friends paly with me since all they have to do is sit there.
I think i read they were adding those Sup accessories back to that one map.
Alhanalem makes a good point on the broken bugs.

anyway

Thanks, but I think part of the problem for me is also that I've just gotten so burned out with the process of building defenses. I've played so much that right now the idea of building a tower set up and going through and 3 starring everything has become very unappealing.

Actually, that has been the fun part of the game for me (at the moment). I like playing sky city campaign, and Akakiti was a lot of fun. What I can't do right now is the survivals. I have a bunch of friend who wants to grind survival. I usually join them, help them up, and I leave to play something else. I just can't stand the thought of sitting there watching the screen and doing nothing, and just looking for dots ( and I can barely see them, lol) It was fun and exciting for a while... but too much of nothingness and time, to be worth it for me. I rather just watch some random TV.

I've been holding my tongue on this, but I figured I'd state for the record: When I originally devised a system of rewards and included it in the version you see on the workshop, it was not generating remarkable items- just token accessory rewards (which would get slightly better the longer you survived). In giving the work to Trendy, they wanted to remove any item rewards from a competitive map (understandable given what happened with Prez Day). Unfortunately, possibly due to a miscommunication after giving the map, the reward script wasn't completely disabled. As soon as they were made aware of it, they corrected the error. The only reason I did not comment earlier was because I didn't want to create a mad dash to exploit a bug before it was fixed...

I too have had to hold my tongue, but I'll add in my two cents.

To call it exploiting a bug is just plain rude and offensive.

It is the responsibility of the map creator and Trendy to ensure your games are working as intended. Had anyone thoroughly tested it prior to release we wouldn't be in this situation.

One thing I will say though, is that Tower Wars has definitely increased my longevity here. The map is awesome with or without acc that I don't even need. Great job Al!

However, I have been reading the forums and seems a lot of problems with the new content are the exact same things that happened before. It's like the exact same mistakes keep happening over and over again to the point where it feels like we're intentionally being trolled by someone.

To Hitmonchan:
...Didn't you and I have this conversation a week ago?
Or at least, elements revolving around the same core idea?

Yep, I'm putting in a few more hours to give away all my stuff http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?87373-done-playing-this-game-doing-a-giveaway
No, he means you'll be back later, and wish you didn't give stuff away. I've played several other loot based games, both MMO and non MMO, and people who make posts like yours always come back.

The people who really quit for good generally don't announce their departure or give away their stuff. They just stop playing.

People who ragequit always come back. It's obvious that the tower wars straw broke the camel's back. If you read Al's post back there, you'd understand why it was a bug and why they couldn't just leave it. People should be effing happy that a bug was actually fixed- of course, they aren't simply because they benefitted from exploiting it. If I'm playing my favorite MMO and I find a bug that lets me get OP gear with ease, not only would it get fixed, but if I continued to exploit it, i'd probably get banned from that game as well. If you're worried about the value of cubes, it doesn't really sound like you're in the game for the fun value of the game itself, it sounds like your fun is derived from trading and playing the market.

[QUOTE]The whole supreme accessory thing on Tower Wars... was it really necessary to remove them? Were they really that game breaking? Sure, maybe it was unintended, but from what I can tell all this has done is made the cube/rares ****ders happy and the people who are just trying to play the game and have fun unhappy. [/QUOTE]Why would people who played the game "for fun" be made unhappy by a bug they didn't exploit that got fixed? If they feel bad for not having gained from a bug while it was in the game, then they weren't really playing "for fun-" they were playing to get easy rewards and play the market. The bug had to be fixed. The people who abused the bug should be happy their items aren't being deleted.

No, he means you'll be back later, and wish you didn't give stuff away. I've played several other loot based games, both MMO and non MMO, and people who make posts like yours always come back.

The people who really quit for good generally don't announce their departure or give away their stuff. They just stop playing.

People who ragequit always come back. It's obvious that the tower wars straw broke the camel's back. If you read Al's post back there, you'd understand why it was a bug and why they couldn't just leave it. People should be effing happy that a bug was actually fixed- of course, they aren't simply because they benefitted from exploiting it. If I'm playing my favorite MMO and I find a bug that lets me get OP gear with ease, not only would it get fixed, but if I continued to exploit it, i'd probably get banned from that game as well.

I am not rage quitting; I am just quitting. I have played the game way too much and the mechanics of it have just become unappealing to me. Like I said, I stopped playing right before Tavern Defense was released, I was just noticing that the same types of situations are still occurring; that's not the specific thing that caused me to quit, though.

And yes, I did the same thing when I played Ultima Online way back. I gave away all my stuff right before I quit. I may no longer enjoy this game myself (and I have way to many unplayed games that I've accumulated), but lots of people still do. And as broken as progression/RNG is, I figure some people might as well get some use out of my stuff.

Why would people who played the game "for fun" be made unhappy by a bug they didn't exploit that got fixed? If they feel bad for not having gained from a bug while it was in the game, then they weren't really playing "for fun-" they were playing to get easy rewards and play the market. The bug had to be fixed. The people who abused the bug should be happy their items aren't being deleted.

As someone who has been playing "for fun" for about 350 hours I can say I am unhappy at the fact I didn't exploit this bug. after all I have been playing for 350 hours and can barely hold myself up in most nightmare maps. In fact I have yet to be able to beat summit on NM or any of the Eternia shards bosses with my gear. (save for the two but I was HEAVILY carried on to the point I died three seconds in and they soloed it.) So I can say I AM in fact disappointed that I missed out on a chance to get gear that is actually worth a look, since I may have finally been able to see content that I wouldn't have seen otherwise unless I got carried.

((also I feel I should bring up that I have yet to buy from shops since I feel I shouldn't NEED to buy someone's gear to play. I also find it kinda sad that I am disappointed that I missed out on a bug that would have given me amazing gear ,because I shouldn't need a bug to have a snowball's chance in hell to get gear of that level. )