Debating whether or not buying this game

Hey people, i currently considering buying this game but i'm not really sure whether i would like or not. so i have a couple of questions i would like to get answered.

i'm currently looking for a game that i can play casually. my life is pretty busy so i can't dump several hours a day into a game so i'm looking for something without a terribly high skillcap that requires me to keep playing a lot (i do like games that require skill though)

the other thing is community. how big is it? is it easy to find games? i love to play multiplayer since i think games are more fun with real people. is the community mature? i have played a lot of online games where people just flame other and its full of "qq noob unistall pl0x" crap so i would like to to know if the community here suffers from that.

well in summary i just want a game that can be played casually. easy to find a game to hop in and with a friendly community. so what do you personally think of this game? obviously you enjoy it because you visit the forums but what are its weaknesses and streghts?

thanks for you time! ^^

This isn't a casual game once you finish the campaign. It's casual up until then, but after that it's a 110% hardcore grind-fest.

Community size varies. It's smallish though, I've never seen more than 30 public games at the same time (not to mention that there are a large number of jerks who host public games, and then kick you just before the game hands out map-win rewards).

All in all, would not recommend unless you had 3 dupes, I mean, friends to drag into the game with you, and who are willing to buy not only the base game, but a large amount of the DLC content (it has been pointed out that high-end nightmare cannot be completed without Series EV or a Summoner--if not both--both of which are priced at $5).

I would disagree with the above poster (and the below poster). This game is as casual or hardcore as you want to make it.

You don't have to play for hours and hours a day to enjoy the game. While it's certainly possible to do so, it's certainly not required to have fun. there is a huge amount of content to the game, so even if you never "go hardcore", you'll definitely get your money's worth.

This game isn't very community dependent. You two can play together without having to play with others, but yes, it is genearlly not difficult to find other people if you want to play with others (on Ranked). There are certainly people playing at all times, and while its not a massive community, you shouldn't have a problem.

This game is both fun to play casually while also having substance for people who decide to go more hardcore. You really can't go wrong in my opinion, but wait a week or two and there may be a sale :)

The playability is its strength, but also disadvantage at same time. No matter what you do, there's always something more to try and to get. You will soon find the gameplay time sums up to weeks and months (one week = 168 hours). Progression through the game feels endless and the amount of content is now huge.

The gameplay, however, is aimed at hardcore players. You can mess around randomly and enjoy the game as it goes, but to actually beat the hardest challenges you need to spend hundreds of hours farming gear and improving tactics as well as manual skill.

The community is fine. Sure, there will always be people who kick you for no reason (seemingly who don't know how to make game private :P), but on next try you will find nice and smart host. No nerds or trolls detected. The game is team-oriented and many people enjoy playing as a team. You can still progress solo through almost all challenges, mes around with total strangers as well as form a clan.

You can play this game for fun, but then after about 20 hours you start to repeat levels over and over again. I would say that it still remains fun, but if you only want to play for half an hour at a time, the you will have trouble progressing. I'd say you get more playtime out of it just doing the original campaign, then say, Portal, but if you really dedicate to the game and pay for all the DLC's, then you will have to invest a few hours a day to actually get anywhere.

This isn't a casual game once you finish the campaign. It's casual up until then, but after that it's a 110% hardcore grind-fest.

No it is not. You can play this game casually always unless you want to be the man in charge.

A typical match generally lasts around 30 minutes so if you can spare that then you have enough time for fun.

strengths: graphics, loot, original gameplay, constant updates, good community
weaknesses: lack of an auction house, some light gear hacking, occasional lag

I'd highly recommend it if it's your type of game (possibly even if not in terms of tower defense; as I am far from a tower defense game fan though love Dungeon Defenders).

With your playtimes you'll feel slow progression at a point, but progression nonetheless.

A thousand times yes. It's a great game and I think the community is great aswell. Just look at the trading part of the forums how many giveaways there are. I have yet to play a game with so many giveaways to help out new players.

The first 4 difficulty levels can certainly be classed as casual. No grinding and you feel like you're progressing.

B/c of this, I recommend you get just the base game initially (ie. no DLC) and just play through it. If you like it, you can always acquire some DLC maps/characters and continue :)

If you host, you have control over the various assortment of randoms that join. Initially, there wont be many joining as you progress past the easier content quite rapidly. There are plenty of games running atm though on all difficulties

Can easily get over 100 hours of casual fun playing at lower difficulty levels and all the content. Possibly 200 if you don't worry about nightmare and beating that difficulty. Once you get into nightmare, you can do some of it casually, but it quickly becomes a grind fest. Community is great and tons of players play all the difficulties below nightmare.

Anyone that has over 250 hours into this game would have to say it's worth buying. I mean look at the cost V.S game play time. These flashy titles like Boarderlands get beat and over in far less time and cost much more.

This game could have been over the top awesome, but I guess that was not the goal. It's always easy to go back and say this could have been this way, and that should have been this way. The drops should have gone like this.

Mike.

A typical match generally lasts around 30 minutes so if you can spare that then you have enough time for fun.

Bu hahahahaha! XD

Yeah freaking right.

It's 30 minutes if you feel like never seeing a piece of worthwhile gear once you hit 70.

yeah i agree with the others above who have put their points to you about why you should buy it
my advice is to wait for xmas sales where this game+dlc is bound to be on sale. my bf unfortunately encouraged me to get the game+all dlc available at the time, one week before there was a big sale on it!

It's 30 minutes if you feel like never seeing a piece of worthwhile gear once you hit 70.

And why do you need to go beyond that? The early game is the fun part mostly (allows for lots of experimentation and variation)

Just playing through 2 campaigns (say, hard -> insane) from deeper wells to glitterhelm, and making a few characters would give 30+ hours of gameplay easy. Thats more than I get out of the vast majority of games, and it can be incredibly varied.

Bu hahahahaha! XD

Yeah freaking right.

see the word typical in front of the word match? Typical means normal. I wasnt talking about survival..

The FREE demo is a good place to start. See if you like the feal of the game then take it from there.

The FREE demo is a good place to start. See if you like the feal of the game then take it from there.

This was going to be my reply.. As a semi new player.. under 100hrs on pc but close to 1000 on Xbox.. if you feel you like the demo i would certainly invest in the base game.. then go from there.. for the most part yes you can play casually.. but to see any of the end game gear wich certainly makes Night Mare (NM) possible.. You need to grind..

the community varies depending on what your looking for.. Most of the info for Builds (if and when) you find your build just isnt working for the harder difficulties is somewhat out dated and gear dependant.. BUT that mostly covers the NM content..

YES to the various map pack and shard packs... YES to the Summoner and EV as they are VERY helpfull, once you figure them out.. The Summoner allows you to add various enemy mobs that fight on your side, that do not require Defense Units (DU) and are very usefull.. As the Series EV has various barriers and a tower buff beam that is helpfull..

if you do decide to purchase the game and want someone to help you out but not just Power LVLng or dropping you gear, but rather showing you some pritty basic builds that work or helping you to find your own builds.. Even the Youtube Video's i find eventually get changed to fit my play style.. I'm still tryng to figure out the higher end gear but its all pritty much the specific stat you wish to boost..

But anyway, check out the free trial and if it seems it could be fun by all means purchase the basic game.. give it a whirl and if you find you like it and want more pick up the map packs, Summoner and SEV.

see the word typical in front of the word match? Typical means normal. I wasnt talking about survival..

Let's see...

No survival
No UMF
Several challenges take more than half an hour (Spook/Spook2, Turkey Hunt 1/2, Riddle of the Deep, Treasure Hunt, Wizardry...)
Some of the newer maps take more than half an hour (they start at wave 4 and go until 14, compared to the base game's start at 4 go until 8)
Higher the difficulty -> Longer the game (in general)
Have multiple people and not on insane/nightmare where there's a timer -> expect long, up to half an hour, discussions on build layout.

Heck, even the boss maps on Hard can take more than half an hour depending on gear and level. Especially The Summit.

[quote]Several challenges take more than half an hour (Spook/Spook2, Turkey Hunt 1/2, Riddle of the Deep, Treasure Hunt, Wizardry...)[/quote]
I will give you one billion mana if you prove you survived over half an hour on Wizardry (NMHC).

I though so at the beginning, but once I checked it in game stats, challenges and campaign typically take 15-25 minutes to complete.

the first 50 hours of this game is probably the most fun i have had. its pretty casual (until you get to nightmare) and is a lot of fun

I used to play this all the time on xbox when there was no DLC, which I'd consider all casual content.

I absolutely loved the game and probably got a solid 200 hours gameplay out of the original content. Then I moved to PC, again the first 100 hours or so were casual gameplay and I still loved it. After that, I started moving onto Nightmare content which wasn't so casual.

So yes, I definitely recommend buying this game as you can play casual content for hours on end. I still make new characters now and play the old content very frequently.

Also, if you're looking for a game to play with a group of friends, this is definitely the one for you. I have so much more fun when I'm playing with friends on casual content because it's not just one person doing all the building etc with 4 or 5 different characters. You can all take on a certain role each and stick with it throughout the whole campaign.

But I'm not saying it's not so fun when you play alone, it's still a great game, but like almost every other game, it's better with friends. Having said that, you can just join a random game and play with other random people.

As mentioned before, the game has a great community so I'm sure you'd be able to pick up some new friends and play casual content with them. (I often see a lot of people looking for groups to play with on the forums.)

One last thing, the only downside to this game is the amount of hacks that people use. But you're not very likely at all to find that in any casual content on the PC, so this shouldn't affect you.

I will give you one billion mana if you prove you survived over half an hour on Wizardry (NMHC).

NMHC is not casual, therefore a 15 minute game of it isn't any more casual than a 45 minute game, and thus irrelevant.