Solo Boss Gauntlet - An alternative approach

http://ddplanner.com/?l=13655,nightmare-boss-gauntlet-solo

I heard a lot of people have problems with the Boss Gauntlet when trying to beat CD solo. Here's the strategy I used for my own solo Ultimate Defender run - not tested with multiple players in game. I was playing non-HC, but I never lost any lives and there's no real reason for you to die before the Old One fight anyways - so it ought to work on HC just as well.

Long story short, this build exploits a few oft-forgotten mechanics of DD, such as the low scaling of mobs and mob counts in solo campaign runs, the ogre aggro mechanics, and the fact that even despite not being minions, Harpoon Turrets can take quite a remarkable amount of beating - and with high enough tower attack, there won't be much left to administer the beating.

Obviously, enter the stage with full mana on every builder and on your DPS character (I recommend Barbarian). I prefer to start building with the Initiate, simply due to the fact that if you build Tower Buff Beams first, the range boost can make placing auras substantially harder. Auras should be placed just behind the western and eastern pillars and gas traps in the four openings between the pillars - it isn't required that gas traps be buffed. Enrage Auras, Inferno Traps, Healing Auras etc. are unnecessary. The harpoon batteries should be placed in the middle of each aura stack, a comfortable distance from the crystal so that ogres will be drawn to them and away from the Legendary Knight.

If you build with similar speed to mine, you should be able to switch to your DPS with 8-10 left on the countdown (every "second" of the countdown takes longer than a real life second). That should give you enough time to get one of the buffs to 1 star, and the other to 3 bars or even 1 star as well.

Beyond that point, if you have ever done Boss Rush, you already roughly know what to do. The only difference is that you need to be mindful of your harpoons at all times. Goblin Mechs are your absolute priority as they can push harpoons off the buff beams; once both Mechs are down, fend off the Demon Lords and evil heroes while three-starring the buff beams and upgrading/repairing the harpoons. Once you have upgraded all harpoons to at least 2-3 bars, you should be safe to leave your defenses unattended long enough to shoot down and destroy the Ancient Dragon.

Builder stats
Countess: 1945/4000/2315/2617
Initiate: 2500/3444/3000/2165
Huntress: 2090/3853/1900/1928
EV: 2098/3780/1867/2801

• 4 weeks later...
Tested on my stats:
EV 2429/2787/734/1291
huntress 1668/3132/1214/1206
countess 1355/2781/1012/1607
initiate 1240/3102/2442/1073
And it really worked!!! And i finally beat CDNM solo.Great build man!!

• 3 weeks later...
Just stumbled on this, looks solid and I will try later. My stats are between the two posted here. Gonna try later when I have the time.

Winterbraid, just wanted to stop by and say that, thanks to you, I am now finally an Ultimate Defender and was able to completely solo Crystalline Dimension. The Boss Gauntlet was my fail point until I tried this build. Using this build, I passed it first shot and it wasn't even that hard...

My stats:

Countess: 2023/3310/1148/2520
Traptress: 1704/3029/1739/1002
Auras: 2449/4095/2126/1740
EV: xxxx/3135/xxxx/xxxx

I used a DPS Monk for the Gauntlet (1695 hp, 3647 attack, 1265 hero boost) with a 16.6k Seahorse and then switched to the Barbarian for the Old One as that's the only char I've practiced him on.

For anyone else who entered this build in the same mindset as me -- I thought that I'd just need to get the buff beams upped to about 1 star and that would be enough to take care of everything.
This turned out to be wrong.

I started with everything built and both buffs 1 starred, took down the mechs and demon, came back and did not leave until each harp had at least 2 chevrons and both buffs were 3-starred. Upon coming back after downing those bosses (I was gone for maybe 20-25 seconds tops), I found that two of my harps (one on each side) were hanging by a thread in terms of life, so take care of your towers if you don't want to be running this again and again and again and again and...

Winterbraid, thank you.

Winterbraid, just wanted to stop by and say that, thanks to you, I am now finally an Ultimate Defender and was able to completely solo Crystalline Dimension. The Boss Gauntlet was my fail point until I tried this build. Using this build, I passed it first shot and it wasn't even that hard...

My stats:

Countess: 2023/3310/1148/2520
Traptress: 1704/3029/1739/1002
Auras: 2449/4095/2126/1740
EV: xxxx/3135/xxxx/xxxx

I used a DPS Monk for the Gauntlet (1695 hp, 3647 attack, 1265 hero boost) with a 16.6k Seahorse and then switched to the Barbarian for the Old One as that's the only char I've practiced him on.

For anyone else who entered this build in the same mindset as me -- I thought that I'd just need to get the buff beams upped to about 1 star and that would be enough to take care of everything.
This turned out to be wrong.

I started with everything built and both buffs 1 starred, took down the mechs and demon, came back and did not leave until each harp had at least 2 chevrons and both buffs were 3-starred. Upon coming back after downing those bosses (I was gone for maybe 20-25 seconds tops), I found that two of my harps (one on each side) were hanging by a thread in terms of life, so take care of your towers if you don't want to be running this again and again and again and again and...

Winterbraid, thank you.

yup, upgrading / high health is defenitely a need! those dragonballs hurt..
maybe reflects.. but darn, the timer :/

• 3 weeks later...
If I set the auras east and west it seems to my they don't cover north and south enough.
My Gas Traps were not all buffed and I did not have enough time to do upgrades on the buff beams. (could this be the real reason?)
Everytime my crystal gets destroyed - mostly by an orc, sometimes by an oger.
Do you have any idea what could be my error?

Auras: 3344/3261/2769/2070

If I set the auras east and west it seems to my they don't cover north and south enough.
My Gas Traps were not all buffed and I did not have enough time to do upgrades on the buff beams. (could this be the real reason?)

wow I'm doing it with 2k aura range only and I've never had problems - ever!
auras are just next to the pillars for me..

Ogres should never attack crystals unless either your harpoons die or the tower rate on your squire builder is really horrible.

I don't bother to buff gas traps, and your auras are better than what I had when beating this for the first time. It's definitely the buff beams, they contribute a bonus of up to 60% to aura range. Don't forget that you also have to continue upgrading in the combat phase, you should upgrade your beams to 3 stars and harpoons to at least 2-3 bars or things will break while you go after the Dragon.

Were you alone? Every player in the game reduces the total build time in Boss Gauntlet. If you were alone, I can only recommend that you practice on Open more.

Yes, I played alone. Maybe I am just building too slow. I wasn't able to upgrade more than 2 chevrons in building time.
The auras nearly touch each other in the middle right after building. I guess this is the right way.
The orcs really shouldn't be able to walk through my gas traps.
I guess according to my stats I should be able to beat it.

My tower stats are:
Squire: 2525/4678/1583/2667
EV: 5150/3433/2927/2481
Huntress: 3295/4088/2171/1916
Monk: 3346/3262/2770/2070

Sadly but true: It seems like it is my fault and not too low stats. :(

I found an easier way to do this build (by far, solo boss gauntlet is the only easy way to do it).

Make your gas traps further from the cyrstal (I make 6 in total) to have the trash mob keep the ogres stuck behind them. A single arua stack in the middle and harpoon walls just as built here. I can still survive with 1 line of harpoons messed up by mech. Also, ogres don't spawn often, so if you do get your harpoon wall f*d just kill ogres when they spawn and you then have lots of time to go after bosses again. Just don't bother killing trash mobs :)

I tried it again. And again. :)
Thanks for your suggestion, draemn. I was able to do the build and update 1 buff beam to 1 chevron before time ran out.
Do you also have the problem that at the first 5 seconds you don't see anything when pressing a key for building? Doing so I only see the black sky and stars.
It took me about 10 seconds to kill both Goblin Mechs (all harpoons still at full health) and further 10 seconds to kill both Demon Lords. In the meantime the Evil Heroes detroyed at least 1 harp at both sides.
Do you know if they respawn or if they are limited?

On my last try I succeded in killing both Goblin Mechs and both Demon Lords without anything being destroyed. After this I only ran between the 2 harpoon stacks for doing upgrades. While I was at one side the other was attacked. I had both sides upgraded to 1 star but there still was no chance. 2 hits by an ogre and a harp dies.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I usually use a monk for boss gauntlet so I can tower boost as well :) Your problem must be harpoon HP. You want to have over 1500 harpoon HP. The other probem is that if you build too far from the crystal, your SD aura will not properly protect your harpoons from extra damage.

If you're solo, the ogres shouldn't be an issue as only 1 spawns at a time and you can go manually kill it.

Thanks for the hints. I found out I lost too much time building gas traps. Now I have enough time for building and upgrading to at least 3 chevrons.
I just guess I have built my harpoons too close to the legendary hero. :) My only explanation why the ogres are ignoring all 8 harpoons although shooting at them.