Sign in to follow this  
Count Duckula

All Original Hero No DLC Run

Edit: Please read this first. This was originally going to be a no DLC run, but since the base game without DLC is easy, and it's NM that people are having problems with, I've decided to allow myself to use DLC maps (just not DLC heroes)

Just like the title says, I'll be playing until at least 74 (maybe 78 or higher) without using any DLC heroes. I will also be soloing the entire thing myself, that means no joining with other players. The reason I am doing this challenge is to prove that progression in this game is still possible through solo play, without any DLC heroes or powerleveling from other players, and also because I got bored being in the rut I was in :P

After I complete each map on Hard, I will post my stats at the time. To save typing (and because I'm lazy) I will only post their hero or tower stats (depending on what they're statted for)

Here are the brave heroes I will be using throughout the run.

:squire: Gawain

I'll mostly use this character for walls, although I'll eventually get around to adding some points to tower attack.

:apprentice: Bedlam

Glass cannon tower hero. Nuff said.

:huntress: Yalani

My DPS hero, although I might add some points to trap range since gas trap is still effective with low stats.

:monk: Shen

I'm not sure whether to focus on first, but he'll be a aura monk.

Map 1: Deeper Well (Easy Hardcore)

Not much to say. I got a new bow and a boot for my Huntress.

Map 2: Deeper Well (Medium Hardcore)

Didn't get much more, just a couple armors with ok stats and a slightly better sword for my Squire.

Map 3: Deeper Well (Hard Hardcore)

Got a new bow for my Huntress. Not much else happened other than that.

Final Deeper Well Stats

:squire: Lvl 6 Stats: 12/0/0/0
:apprentice: Lvl 6 Stats: 0/0/12/0
:huntress: Lvl 8 Stats: 0/18/0/0
:monk: Lvl 6 Stats: 0/12/0/0

Foundries and Forges (Easy HardCore, Attempt 1)

Did pretty good, until the ogre came and smashed through my defenses. I made the mistake of switching to my tower Apprentice, instead of my Monk or Huntress.

Raining Goblins (Easy HardCore, Attempt 1)

Did ok for a few rounds, then got absolutely crushed on the fourth round. Looks like I'll be saving this for much later.

Foundries and Forges (Easy HC, Attempt 2 (Success!))

Figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasn't upgrading, because I figured that 1 upgrade didn't make much of a difference. But one upgrade doubled the attack of my MM towers. Also, I was using bouncer blockades instead of spike blockades. Once I put down the spike blockades and upgraded them, nothing could break through.

Foundries and Forges (Medium HC)

Not much harder than Easy. And elec auras are so useful.

Foundries and Forges (Hard HC)

Went smoothly for the most part, although the ogre almost wiped me out. Luckily he just stood by the crystal and tried throwing projectiles at me while I dpsed him down.

Final Foundries and Forges Stats

:squire: Lvl 8 Stats: 18/0/0/0
:apprentice: Lvl 8 Stats: 0/6/12/2
:huntress: Lvl 11 Stats: 0/27/1/0 Res: 9/0/0/0
:monk: Lvl 8 Stats: 0/18/0/0 Res: 0/0/0/2

Magus Quarters (Hard HC Attempt 1)

Lost only because I forgot to set up the anti air. FML.

Magus Quarters (Hard HC Attempt 2 and 3)

Got owned by the ogre.

Foundries and Forges (Hard HC)

Decided to get my apprentice up some levels. Forgot to post my stats from after I finished.

Magus Quarters (Hard HC Attempt 4 (Success))

Finally beat this map. Just had to place strength drain in the ogre lane. Almost got screwed over by wyverns but I sold a couple MM towers and placed them near the crystal. Auras on ogre lane went down but managed to take him down all the same.

Final Magus Quarters Final Stats

:squire: Lvl 12 Stats: 30/0/0/0 Res: 5/0/0/0
:apprentice: Lvl 17 Stats: 2/49/12/9 Res: 15/9/0/6
:huntress: Lvl 12 Stats: 0/30/5/0 Res: 13/6/1/7
:monk: Lvl 11 Stats: 0/24/11/3 Res: 2/3/0/3

What kind of progression are you talking about? If you're talking about going through only the vanilla (original/base) campaign stages, up through Insane, and only with the vanilla characters - of course that's possible solo. It always has been, and if anything it's easier nowadays because you can level past 70 now. Most people took the path of leveling a tower Squire, and then once high up enough using that to level your other characters. You don't need outside help or sequence breaks to level quickly or efficiently, haha.

Mind you, this is a fun endeavor, because the vanilla game progression was so spot-on and enjoyable. It was a blast for me replaying it when I moved to Steam from the 360 version early this year.

What kind of progression are you talking about? If you're talking about going through only the vanilla (original/base) campaign stages, up through Insane, and only with the vanilla characters - of course that's possible solo. It always has been, and if anything it's easier nowadays because you can level past 70 now. Most people took the path of leveling a tower Squire, and then once high up enough using that to level your other characters. You don't need outside help or sequence breaks to level quickly or efficiently, haha.

Mind you, this is a fun endeavor, because the vanilla game progression was so spot-on and enjoyable. It was a blast for me replaying it when I moved to Steam from the 360 version early this year.

I'll likely be leveling to 78, maybe even 100 if I don't get too bored, while collecting a decent set of myths (or trans or better if I can find a set) along the way. Some people say that it's no longer possible to get to endgame solo, only those who were there during the beta were able to get everything themselves. Or you need to buy DLC to get to endgame. I want to prove them wrong.

Failing on Easy difficulty means you're doing something horribly wrong.

Like, HORRIBLY WRONG.

Yup, it's called focusing only on tower aoe on my App without putting any points into tower attack. (wanted to be able to take out archers that try to snipe the walls while still keeping mm towers a safe distance away from ogres) I just might have to rely on my Squire's harps even though I only added tower health on him so far.

Think I would enjoy doing this aswell, but I doubt I could stop myself just pouring mana into equip to max it out and make things real easy ;/

I rekon its easily doable into end-game aswell, now that I pretty much fully understand the game and each map.

Yup, it's called focusing only on tower aoe on my App without putting any points into tower attack. (wanted to be able to take out archers that try to snipe the walls while still keeping mm towers a safe distance away from ogres) I just might have to rely on my Squire's harps even though I only added tower health on him so far.

You are just overthinking the entire strategy.

Put more points on HP/DMG/ATK and be extremely pragmatic.

I never touched Easy difficulty.

About the "You dont need the DLC characters for end-game"

Right now, its not even a "recomentation", the DLC characters are a MUST HAVE for end-game, they are not optional.

Without EV and Summoner, you are done for good.

[quote]up, it's called focusing only on tower aoe on my App without putting any points into tower attack.[/quote]
It doesn't work this way. Aoe scales badly and can't help against train of powerful enemies. It's also useless later on, when you hit hundreds of stats.

1. Put all your points into tower attack.
2. Kill everything.
3. Pick up loot, it will boost your range just by the way.

About the "You dont need the DLC characters for end-game"

Right now, its not even a "recomentation", the DLC characters are a MUST HAVE for end-game, they are not optional.

Without EV and Summoner, you are done for good.

I'm aware of all the new enemy types, but I'm confident that the original heroes have everything needed to get to level 78 at least. And most mobs can be slowed enough by ensnare/gas traps for harps/fireballs/DS towers/etc to finish off, and those that can't be stopped by auras (like 10m hp ogres), my Squire walls should be able to hold them back long enough for me to DPS them down with my Huntress. Goblin Copters are a bit tricky, but with ensnare and enough offense, they go down rather easily most of the time.

And like I said, I'm not doing DLC missions (unless they're forever free) so most of the hard stuff I shouldn't need to worry about. The only thing I'm really worried about is Eternia Shards NM and Crystalline Dimension.

It doesn't work this way. Aoe scales badly and can't help against train of powerful enemies. It's also useless later on, when you hit hundreds of stats.

1. Put all your points into tower attack.
2. Kill everything.
3. Pick up loot, it will boost your range just by the way.

I know, I was saying that that's the thing I was doing horribly wrong xD

And like I said, I'm not doing DLC missions (unless they're forever free) so most of the hard stuff I shouldn't need to worry about. The only thing I'm really worried about is Eternia Shards NM and Crystalline Dimension.

Nightmare mode, Eternia Shards, and CD are all dlc so how will you do them without doing dlc?

I'm aware of all the new enemy types, but I'm confident that the original heroes have everything needed to get to level 78 at least. And most mobs can be slowed enough by ensnare/gas traps for harps/fireballs/DS towers/etc to finish off, and those that can't be stopped by auras (like 10m hp ogres), my Squire walls should be able to hold them back long enough for me to DPS them down with my Huntress. Goblin Copters are a bit tricky, but with ensnare and enough offense, they go down rather easily most of the time.

A unbuffed tower without summoner its going to be melted in 3 seconds by the chopper ogres.

Nightmare itself its impossible without DLC heros, specially survivals.

Nightmare mode, Eternia Shards, and CD are all dlc so how will you do them without doing dlc?

That is what I was just going to say. NM mode comes with the shards. The base game is easy. It is the shards that aren't. They are easy once you get to a certain point. The trick is being able to farm yourself there without having to break down and buy armor.

Oh yeah, that's true. I'll have to think of something I guess. Leveling to 100 is gonna be rough. I might just take this challenge to 78 or 93. Or I can change the title to just Original Hero run and do the DLC (I still wouldn't use costumes though). I'll see how things go and how fast/slow leveling is.

A unbuffed tower without summoner its going to be melted in 3 seconds by the chopper ogres.

Nightmare itself its impossible without DLC heros, specially survivals.

I've done some maps that had chopper ogres without buff beams or minions before, it just requires strong auras and more harps/fireballs/DS towers.

Oh yeah, that's true. I'll have to think of something I guess. Leveling to 100 is gonna be rough. I might just take this challenge to 78 or 93. Or I can change the title to just Original Hero run and do the DLC (I still wouldn't use costumes though). I'll see how things go and how fast/slow leveling is.

Are you looking for a reason to kill yourself?

Grinding XP until 93 its probably the most boring and painful "challenge" that you can have in this game.
Without DLC, public games and public shops, powerleveling yourself its not going to be so easy as you may think, you are going to struggle hard just to run Insane Glitter.

Are you looking for a reason to kill yourself?

Grinding XP until 93 its probably the most boring and painful "challenge" that you can have in this game.
Without DLC, public games and public shops, powerleveling yourself its not going to be so easy as you may think, you are going to struggle hard just to run Insane Glitter.

Yup, that's why I changed the challenge so I can use DLC, just not DLC heroes. I don't think anyone needs to prove that it's possible to beat the base game (including the challenges included with the base game) without DLC, it's proving that it's possible to beat the DLC maps (and NM) without DLC heroes.

I plan on farming godlies until I can handle Tavern Defense Insane HC/PS and from there, levels will come easily. It's the equipment that will be the hard part.

Yup, that's why I changed the challenge so I can use DLC, just not DLC heroes. I don't think anyone needs to prove that it's possible to beat the base game (including the challenges included with the base game) without DLC, it's proving that it's possible to beat the DLC maps (and NM) without DLC heroes.

I plan on farming godlies until I can handle Tavern Defense Insane HC/PS and from there, levels will come easily. It's the equipment that will be the hard part.

I dont want to be the hearthless ***** of the thread, but youll probably are going to do NM Magus Quarters and not much else without DLC heros, forget about summit, specially considering that your gear its going to be very sub-par.

Maybe NM Summit its doable with just vanilla heros @1500 stats, but forget about doing it with and undergeared bunch of vanilla heros.

Remeber, the gear progressionin this game its broken, you need the Tier 11 to farm the Tier 10.

And finally, Tavern Defense require NM capaign stats just for doing Insane. You are not doing it with just godly gear.

Just posting to say that I probably won't be doing many maps each day (probably will have some days where I don't even do a map) because I am getting into other games, and I am also trying to watch more episodes of my favorite show (luckily every episode out so far is on youtube) so I will be way too busy to put any serious time into this game for a while.