Ask a question, Get an answer. Maybe.

yeah i kno what u mean but the reason i didnt want it in dundef was that would keep ppl from jus buildin a big wall of towers surroundin the crystal.

Seems like a good strategy. Wouldn't be much of a problem though, seeing how towers can get attacked. In the "towers only" mode though, I'm guessing that if you block off all the paths, the enemies WILL attack to get through. Or they will just walk right through.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good strategy. Wouldn't be much of a problem though, seeing how towers can get attacked. In the "towers only" mode though, I'm guessing that if you block off all the paths, the enemies WILL attack to get through. Or they will just walk right through.

yeah but i think of it as a noob strategy, but i guess if it works, it works

In defense of the integrity of DunDef and its developers, I think it should be mentioned that there is a quota on tower construction, similar in fashion to population/food/shelter limits in RTS games such as SC, WC, AoE, and basically any other. In other words, the idea of building a limitless wall of towers blocking the crystal is thrown out the window. Strategy will become key to your success as you try to build complete defenses while not surpassing your building allocation per level.

Reason I asked in the first place though was that the game Defense Grid: The Awakening functioned so towers' line of sight and where they could shoot at was blocked by allied towers, making second row building almost useless. I never played a tower defense like that before, and it actually got annoying that a full priced tower only performed a fraction of the others. Any pinch-points where enemies would go or any corners where not that effective to build at as they are in other TD games, and I feel it degraded the experience.

Not really. Only some towers were affected by it. Cannons make great second line towers, as their slower attack time means that no "damage time" is wasted. In the odd case that there is still a tower blocking their sight, they will retarget and do full damage to another. Compared to a laser or something that has to stay on a target long enough to heat them up, cannon is great for second line.

Building a wall of towers around your Crystals actually tends to be a pretty ineffective strategy. This is for various reasons, among others explosive enemies that will knock out tightly packed arrays of towers and splash damage that will hit the core. But there are plenty of other reasons it's always better to focus on other chokepoints, and you'll soon see why :)

-Jer

Building a wall of towers around your Crystals actually tends to be a pretty ineffective strategy. This is for various reasons, among others explosive enemies that will knock out tightly packed arrays of towers and splash damage that will hit the core. But there are plenty of other reasons it's always better to focus on other chokepoints, and you'll soon see why :)

-Jer

Ok great to kno and glad there is limitations to that.

Also in the alpha, the barriers were much better at blocking because they had a higher damage threshold... a bomber tower will also effectively block for a lot less and be much more ineffective then using a barrier.

As for what Jer said.. I found that smaller packs of towers were better then one big horde of towers as this slowed down the mobs better and made it so I could run back and forth much easier to repair, run, repair...

I hope the limit balances to how much damage a single player can do... I want my squire to just funnel all the mobs to him using only barriers >=]

Question time! Will mobs attack barriers if there are no towers behind them... so long as there is an open path for them to move, be in inefficient or not?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm finding it difficult to search actual posts on the forums. Will the android and ios mobile versions be cross platform with each other? Meaning, can one user on an ios device play online with a user on an android device?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm finding it difficult to search actual posts on the forums. Will the android and ios mobile versions be cross platform with each other? Meaning, can one user on an ios device play online with a user on an android device?

No... I am pretty sure they said only the PC and PS3... I doubt ios and android can, considering the ios is gamecenter based.

No... I am pretty sure they said only the PC and PS3... I doubt ios and android can, considering the ios is gamecenter based.

The initial iOS version will be GameCenter-only, but we're considering adding in Gamespy in the iOS version later via a patch. If so, the iOS will be able to cross-platform play with the other versions. We'll be looking into it early next year, it's on our Todo list (we had GameSpy working on iOS initially, but took it out to use GameCenter instead).

-Jer

The initial iOS version will be GameCenter-only, but we're considering adding in Gamespy in the iOS version later via a patch. If so, the iOS will be able to cross-platform play with the other versions. We'll be looking into it early next year, it's on our Todo list (we had GameSpy working on iOS initially, but took it out to use GameCenter instead).

-Jer

I am a personal favorite of having everything work on my one system and then later adding things. I like the down the path idea for gamespy!

-Jer

It's only between ios and android right? No crossplay between pc and ios ?

It's only between ios and android right? No crossplay between pc and ios ?

Crossplay is for PC and Android currently, actually.

As for running DunDef on an iPhone 3G, sadly the game only supports 3GS and up (which support OpenGL ES 2.0).

-Jer

How will updating/patching be handled on the PC? I know Steam and Impulse are able to patch games themselves but will GamersGate and Direct2Drive users have to manually apply patches? Or will the game come with an auto-update system so that all clients are running the same version and don't have compatibility problems similar to what Altitude(another indie game) has done?

Any news on the iOS version?

Still waiting on Apple approval, in the queue. You all are welcome to let them know how much you are eagerly anticipating the iOS version ;)

-Jer

-Jer

Please confirm: So I can't start to play on my 3GS and later switch to the PC version with my chars?

I don't know how this is handled between publishers and steam, but Steam Cloud? Please say yes haha I love having that option in all of my games, just curious.

PSP Version. Any chance of it happening in the future?

If it can be done on phones i'm sure it would be a great title on the PSP!

As for running DunDef on an iPhone 3G, sadly the game only supports 3GS and up (which support OpenGL ES 2.0).

-Jer

Bummer thanks for the reply.

Please confirm: So I can't start to play on my 3GS and later switch to the PC version with my chars?

You CAN do that:

read up on it here.

(Actually, you might not be able to do so on the 3GS.) I don't know much about iPhones, but i'm guessing that you would be able to because it does support DunDef, but it might only be on iPhone 4 or something. Confirmation?

PSP Version. Any chance of it happening in the future?

If it can be done on phones i'm sure it would be a great title on the PSP!

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. This would likely be the weakest platform the game runs on. But from all that I know, the PSP is largely based on OpenGL ES capabilities. Which version? I'm not sure....

But I do have one and love it!

You CAN do that:

read up on it here.

(Actually, you might not be able to do so on the 3GS.) I don't know much about iPhones, but i'm guessing that you would be able to because it does support DunDef, but it might only be on iPhone 4 or something. Confirmation?

It will work with a 3GS or above