Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

DunDef Digest 11/14/12 Discussion Thread

LOL oh man I did so badly in that contest LOL
Beta access to the next project is pretty cool, though

Your map is in my personal top five favorite Workshop maps. Please keep making maps!

It doesn't look like anyone found the secret in Tower Wars yet.:demon:
What is it? Also akatiti how do you get the turtle on a treadmill. Lastly Thanks for answering my question Jer, but kind of sad you won't implant the tablet weapons.

lol thanx Josh

I still need to figure out how to add:
- Custom Textures
- Music
- Custom Meshes?
- Custom Item Drops...? I want my Goblin Cupid Sword to work in Open! lol

Anytime I try, I crash the kit. :(

lol thanx Josh

- Custom Textures
- Music
- Custom Meshes?

Have you tried our tutorials?

lol thanx Josh

- Custom Textures
- Music
- Custom Meshes?

Custome Textures : Need to be in 128x,128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024 etc. Preferably in TGA format or you can raw import from PSD Files.
Music: Tough to do because the engine does not compress audio files unless they're already small. Doing sounds makes map file size gigantic. But just so you know they need to be in .WAV format, 44khz, 16bit for a proper import.
Custom Meshes : .FBX format import is ideal. You'll need Blender or 3DSMax with special plugins to do this.
Custom Item Drops : Do-able too, but you'd have to make it all a seperate package that everyone could get a hold of.

Keep working at it though, you had some great ideas set up.

Custome Textures : Need to be in 128x,128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024 etc. Preferably in TGA format or you can raw import from PSD Files.
Music: Tough to do because the engine does not compress audio files unless they're already small. Doing sounds makes map file size gigantic. But just so you know they need to be in .WAV format, 44khz, 16bit for a proper import.
Custom Meshes : .FBX format import is ideal. You'll need Blender or 3DSMax with special plugins to do this.
Custom Item Drops : Do-able too, but you'd have to make it all a seperate package that everyone could get a hold of.

Keep working at it though, you had some great ideas set up.

128x512 etc work to .tga is the standard.
.fbx can be very buggy. .ase is what I use in dddk
custom drops do and don't work. modify trendy ones and you can use them throughout open, check my rewarding items tutorial.

Thanks for the review, but no mention or critique of my boss. T_T

I have mixed feelings about the boss. He's incredibly unique, and I love the black hole attack. Unless people read your description, regular players won't know about the crystal power dynamic, and these powers are necessary to defeat him. The first time I played the map, I didn't read the description, and I spent 15 minutes trying to defeat the boss before looking for outside help.

I think the crystal powers need to be more apparent. Perhaps the crystals could glow more and the initial spawn would start players in front of them. The opening text could say, "Use the power of the crystals to defend the Eternia Crystals!"

I have mixed feelings about the boss. He's incredibly unique, and I love the black hole attack. Unless people read your description, regular players won't know about the crystal power dynamic, and these powers are necessary to defeat him. The first time I played the map, I didn't read the description, and I spent 15 minutes trying to defeat the boss before looking for outside help.

I think the crystal powers need to be more apparent. Perhaps the crystals could glow more and the initial spawn would start players in front of them. The opening text could say, "Use the power of the crystals to defend the Eternia Crystals!"

Thanks Hit. Yes, I found the black holes to be strangely hypnotic. Inviting you to come closer. XD

Actually going to do that suggestion. That is a much better and concise way of introducing it.

But yes, I think it's looking like a convoluted idea in hindsight. Not sure if the things I didn't get to would've addressed some of this or not.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks Hit. Yes, I found the black holes to be strangely hypnotic. Inviting you to come closer. XD

Actually going to do that suggestion. That is a much better and concise way of introducing it.

But yes, I think it's looking like a convoluted idea in hindsight. Not sure if the things I didn't get to would've addressed some of this or not.

Back to the drawing board.

It's not convoluted at all! I love it. It just needs to be a bit simpler and more transparent to the average player. Another suggestion is to use simple, clear language when activating a crystal power. "Now you can do X or Y."

Keep at it. I love your map. Please don't be discouraged.

In my humble opinion Tower Wars would also be a nice addition to ranked, any plans..?

In my humble opinion Tower Wars would also be a nice addition to ranked, any plans..?

2nd & 3rd place maps would make great submissions for ranked with a Trendy layer of Polish.

It's not convoluted at all! I love it. It just needs to be a bit simpler and more transparent to the average player. Another suggestion is to use simple, clear language when activating a crystal power. "Now you can do X or Y."

Keep at it. I love your map. Please don't be discouraged.

Going to revisit that sometime soon for the next update. I'm not sure why, but I was reserved about putting out text to the screen too much. I'll have to really think about the wording, and give it some thought. I don't want it to feel like an unskippable tutorial, or a distraction.

Thanks again for this feedback. It's mainly what I'm looking for. Since I can't see these things for the first time.

I'll certainly keep at map making, I have lots of ideas. They're currently outside of my skillset so far, but this map sort of was too.

Going to revisit that sometime soon for the next update. I'm not sure why, but I was reserved about putting out text to the screen too much. I'll have to really think about the wording, and give it some thought. I don't want it to feel like an unskippable tutorial, or a distraction.

Thanks again for this feedback. It's mainly what I'm looking for. Since I can't see these things for the first time.

I'll certainly keep at map making, I have lots of ideas. They're currently outside of my skillset so far, but this map sort of was too.

It's quite the leap in terms of design from The Catacombs. I can't wait to see what you'll do next!

Me GhostofLight and iIntensified have found one of the secrets

Care to share?

[[1565,hashtags]]