Returning Player. State of the Game?

Hi all,

I'm a returning player to Dungeon Defenders. I had 820 Hours () logged into DD and really loved this game. I left my tavern unlocked, lost everything and decided to quit. I quit when nightmare mode and the first crystal shard quest was introduced, and people were etiher doing survival for giraffes or soloing Uber Monsterfest. I read the "returning player's guide", but I still have tons of questions.

1. How are people leveling the quickest from 74 - 100?
2. What is the new giraffe? Is it those kobolds? and are those what all tower chars should have?
3. What are cubits? (trading forum)
4. Can every character only equip one accessory?
5. Is run speed still capped?
6. The summoner seems ridiculously good in a group since the guide mentions he gets his own MU. Is the summoner that ridiculously good? How balanced is the game?
7. What runs are being farmed for the best equipment? Survival or Challenges? What Maps?
8. Are there end game solo options? Can you solo the hardest maps or do a full survival run?
9. How long are survival runs now?
10. What are the best pets? Which pets for which purposes? At the time, everyone was looking for the best apprentice guardian. Is that still the case? Guardians and DPS pets?
11. How is the community? Is it big or are server lists empty?
12. Are USD Sellers still a problem?
13. Can someone point me to some good lvl 74/Insane maps and set-ups to start with?
14. Is the game still being updated nearly once a week?
15. Can someone link me to the end game farm builds/runs map/guides? I'm so curious
16. Could someone also link me to screen shots of what end game players characters look like and equip?

Also, I'm just curious bout DD overall, so if anyone has some tips and advice for a returning player, I'm all ears. Thanks for answering my questions :).

Hi all,

I'm a returning player to Dungeon Defenders. I had 820 Hours () logged into DD and really loved this game. I left my tavern unlocked, lost everything and decided to quit. I quit when nightmare mode and the first crystal shard quest was introduced, and people were etiher doing survival for giraffes or soloing Uber Monsterfest. I read the "returning player's guide", but I still have tons of questions.

1. How are people leveling the quickest from 74 - 100?
2. What is the new giraffe? Is it those kobolds? and are those what all tower chars should have?
3. What are cubits? (trading forum)
4. Can every character only equip one accessory?
5. Is run speed still capped?
6. The summoner seems ridiculously good in a group since the guide mentions he gets his own MU. Is the summoner that ridiculously good? How balanced is the game?
7. What runs are being farmed for the best equipment? Survival or Challenges? What Maps?
8. Are there end game solo options? Can you solo the hardest maps or do a full survival run?
9. How long are survival runs now?
10. What are the best pets? Which pets for which purposes?
11. How is the community? Is it big or are server lists empty?
12. Are USD Sellers still a problem?
13. Can someone point me to some good lvl 74/Insane maps and set-ups to start with?
14. Is the game still being updated nearly once a week?

Also, I'm just curious bout DD overall, so if anyone has some tips and advice for a returning player, I'm all ears. Thanks for answering my questions :).

1. - Pretty much any nm survival with the largest mob count afaic.
2. - Yes a perfect Kobold is IMHO the best pet for afk tower builders.
3. - ???
4. - One Accessory? No you can have on a mask with wristbands etc etc.
5. - Yes and I do not believe the cap has changed since you left.
6. - The game is balanced fine, the summoner is kind of made for the sole purpose of being an extra builder in any situation that can help out on maps with excess mobs.
7. - NMHCMM Survival on Tavern Defense/Kings Game/The eternia shard missions etc etc.
8. - Yes you can but you have to be well geared on at least a few characters of a decent level.
9. - Still rather long.
10. - Propeller Cat for a pure dps barb/squire, A seahorse for a dps monk, and a kobold for tower chars.
11. - The community is full of a bunch of paranoid people. Who accuse others of hacking if they have ulti gear solely because they weren't luck enough to get any. But you'll always see people online.
12. - Slightly but I don't see them as a problem. Don't like em'? Don't use em'.. That's how I work anyway.
13. - I would offer help before advice tbh. I'll leave this to someone else.
14. - It got to updates in one day not to long ago so yeah it still gets em.

My only tips would be to not be afraid to get some help occasionally for breaking into end game since you lost all your gear.
And read up on the limitations of items that can and cannot spawn so you can take part in trading without worrying you will acquire a hacked item.

I'm not going to hit all your questions directly, but I will cover a few key points.

Survival is shorter than it was when you were playing. the base number of mobs went down on most maps, as well as the increase in numbers from adding more players was also reduced.

Summoner is strong but he doesn't really stand alone that well. Giving him his own resource pool was really the only way to allow the RTS concept to have much to it at all. In order to use him effectively he does need to be supported by other kinds of defenses, but when you do, he's awesome.

Most content in the game can be played solo if you are strong enough. Some maps are harder to do this on than others, as should be expected. The game was always designed to be most fun with friends, but you can play solo if that's what you really want- It's just going to be a little tougher on some maps- mainly clearing them on campaign. Survival is never usually a problem because there is no build timer.

For all your planning needs, there is http://ddplanner.com , this is pretty much the best tool out there for sharing strategies and planning ahead.

Paypal shops will always be something of a problem. It is impossible to destroy them completely, but rest assured that the staff zaps them when they find them, and when people make legitimate reports against them. All you have to do to have them not affect you though, is not use them.

Obviously this game isn't truly an MMO and the updating will be slowing down. I'm not clear if you were complaining about the frequent updates or are worried there aren't enough, but it is what it is.

1. - Pretty much any nm survival with the largest mob count afaic.
2. - Yes a perfect Kobold is IMHO the best pet for afk tower builders.
3. - ???
4. - One Accessory? No you can have on a mask with wristbands etc etc.
5. - Yes and I do not believe the cap has changed since you left.
6. - The game is balanced fine, the summoner is kind of made for the sole purpose of being an extra builder in any situation that can help out on maps with excess mobs.
7. - NMHCMM Survival on Tavern Defense/Kings Game/The eternia shard missions etc etc.
8. - Yes you can but you have to be well geared on at least a few characters of a decent level.
9. - Still rather long.
10. - Propeller Cat for a pure dps barb/squire, A seahorse for a dps monk, and a kobold for tower chars.
11. - The community is full of a bunch of paranoid people. Who accuse others of hacking if they have ulti gear solely because they weren't luck enough to get any. But you'll always see people online.
12. - Slightly but I don't see them as a problem. Don't like em'? Don't use em'.. That's how I work anyway.
13. - I would offer help before advice tbh. I'll leave this to someone else.
14. - It got to updates in one day not to long ago so yeah it still gets em.

My only tips would be to not be afraid to get some help occasionally for breaking into end game since you lost all your gear.
And read up on the limitations of items that can and cannot spawn so you can take part in trading without worrying you will acquire a hacked item.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Mel0d1c. For #3. I just meant cubes. I'll just jump into the game. Besides NMHCMM (took me a second to get it), do solo map runs like Uber Monsterfest give decent gear relative to NMHCMM?

Uber monsterfest isn't really that good these days. The best challenge as far as getting cool stuff is boss rush.

I'm not going to hit all your questions directly, but I will cover a few key points.

Survival is shorter than it was when you were playing. the base number of mobs went down on most maps, as well as the increase in numbers from adding more players was also reduced.

Summoner is strong but he doesn't really stand alone that well. Giving him his own resource pool was really the only way to allow the RTS concept to have much to it at all. In order to use him effectively he does need to be supported by other kinds of defenses, but when you do, he's awesome.

Most content in the game can be played solo if you are strong enough. Some maps are harder to do this on than others, as should be expected. The game was always designed to be most fun with friends, but you can play solo if that's what you really want- It's just going to be a little tougher on some maps- mainly clearing them on campaign. Survival is never usually a problem because there is no build timer.

For all your planning needs, there is http://ddplanner.com , this is pretty much the best tool out there for sharing strategies and planning ahead.

Paypal shops will always be something of a problem. It is impossible to destroy them completely, but rest assured that the staff zaps them when they find them, and when people make legitimate reports against them. All you have to do to have them not affect you though, is not use them.

Obviously this game isn't truly an MMO and the updating will be slowing down. I'm not clear if you were complaining about the frequent updates or are worried there aren't enough, but it is what it is.

If i was Soloing and put up my defences, would it be better to switch to a summoner or DPS char? I remember survival taking me up to 8 hours sometimes. I wasn't complaining about the updates, it was really awesome that the developers payed so much attention to the community. I was just curious if the updates are as frequent as before, because once a week was pretty insane.

Thanks so much for all the answers!

Uber monsterfest isn't really that good these days. The best challenge as far as getting cool stuff is boss rush.

Ah alright, just wondering if challenges were still worth running.

Ah alright, just wondering if challenges were still worth running.

Some of them are. UMF just isn't really one of them IMO. It takes as long as a campaign map but the random drops are weak for the difficulty level. Only the end reward has a chance of being worthwhile- it's not bad but it's slow. The assault maps and boss rush all have a chance of giving you something useful even on insane, so they can be somewhat helpful in crossing over from insane to nigthmare.

1) NMHC tavern defense campaign is by far the best XP atm (especially for the difficulty)

End game solo is 100% viable. I can do any map bar Talay and Palantir solo, and only tavern defense I need to be truly active for. This is all on my own gear, I dont trade.

On average, a complete survival run takes 2-3 hours. However, you can start as high as you like (still no loot on the first wave including pets, but it's a great time-saver)

1) NMHC tavern defense campaign is by far the best XP atm (especially for the difficulty)

End game solo is 100% viable. I can do any map bar Talay and Palantir solo, and only tavern defense I need to be truly active for. This is all on my own gear, I dont trade.

On average, a complete survival run takes 2-3 hours. However, you can start as high as you like (still no loot on the first wave including pets, but it's a great time-saver)

Woah 2-3 hours? Thats not as bad as before.