GUIDE - Tavern Siege Survival InsaneHC Kobold Farming

Hey all!

I have seen a few guides on the new map, but I'm not really convinced they are clear enough, and until we can get the map uploaded on the ddplanner website, we'll have to wait for proper clear directions I guess.

Here is a picture by picture guide on how I do it, starting at wave 28;

Heroes and Stats: (I am convinced I am way over powered for this map)

:summoner: 3037 / 3878 / 1740 / 2487
:monk: 1455 / 2126 / 2137 / 1221
:apprentice: 1854 / 3486 / 1926 / 3004
:series: 2235 / 3599 / 2630 / 1917
:huntress: 714 / 1533 / 713 / 507

Starting at wave 28, the mana in each chest will be roughly 2700-3000, I haven't been able to check (read: too lazy), but you have way more than enough mana to build everything and upgrade all buff beams to one star and all defenses to one chevron.

There are three chokes with these seven minions in the following order :archer: :archer: :archer: :mage: :spider: :archer: :archer:

The other choke containing minions is like so :archer: :archer: :mage: :archer:

I use a 3 stacks of auras, 3 inferno traps, 6 fireball towers (do not use harpoons, they are not as effective), 2 reflect walls (2DU), 1 physical wall (5DU) and a whole bunch of buff beams.

There is only 2 choke points for the outside part, the eastern lane will rarely come under attack, and if it does, your Archer should take care of it. If not, handle it yourself. Most builds dedicate a whole row of minions, weakening the build. It is imperative that you three main chokes have 7 minions in each, so mobs can't squeeze through. Trust your wall and your lone Archer, if you are concerned, you can bring the Archer back into the Fireball line and buff it on the beam (making the buff beam 5 or 6 DU depending on your placement skills.

The reflect walls are there to protect against long range snot balls from Ogres, and the occasional missile strike.

Starting with a quick picture to show what I'm referring to in each subsequent picture: (disregard my typo, I couldn't be bothered making it again :p )

LAYOUT

Starting with the Tavern East

Next, Inside Tavern

Next, Center Bridge (disregard my typo on the picture above =/ )

Next, West Bridge

Outside Fireballs

For detailed pictures on placement and headings click:
>>1<< | >>2<<
>>3<< | >>4<<

Physical Wall & Precautionary Archer (placed between the three big rocks on the ground between wall and Fireballs.

That is pretty much it. I will link the ddplanner in when it is upgraded, but hopefully this works for you. I haven't tested this on NMHC Surv yet, but think it could still possibly work. Thanks to those who have helped me tune this build (gow3isba, Immortal-D, Titodaddy). I'll say it again, once built, upgrade all buff beams to one star, and all other defenses to one chevron. Good Luck!!!

I am always open for criticism, so let me know what you think!

I like that build. I'll try it later today.

Hopefully it can be done with lower stats like mine :)

On the outside north row of minions, you have the placed in the middle of the bridge. Why not place them at the southern part of the bridge (closer to the northern end of the outside west minion wall)?

On the outside north row of minions, you have the placed in the middle of the bridge. Why not place them at the southern part of the bridge (closer to the northern end of the outside west minion wall)?

To get them closer to the traffic that comes. Ideally I don't want both walls potentially attacking the same target, hence spacing them like that helps ;)

Interesting build, I'd be interested to hear if it works for nmhc-mm, TheKevSham and I came up with a very different build for farming Kobolds on InsaneHC, our build wouldn't work for nmhc-mm though, as it's purpose is to just speed through the waves, we can do a full run from 28 to 35 in 28 minutes including build time at the beginning.

Basically we place an aura stack (strength drain, ensnare & electric) at each of the spawn points, and a stack at the north core. We then place a 5 point buff beam at the closest choke point to each spawn and place minions along the buff beam;
Edit:
- Top Left
- Top Right
- Middle (Core)
- Middle Right
- Bottom Left
- Bottom Right
- Layout

We then place a proxy mine on the top left, top right, middle right and bottom right minion walls. This makes use of the full 120 du and 120 mu, but some buff beams could be shortened and the mines aren't necessary, but we tend to do this for the quickest setup and turn around for farming.

The goblin copters get killed outside the map on top left and top right, and the bottom left and right only gets weak mobs so there's very little to worry about with them, focus upgrades on the top right (first priority), then top left, and then middle right. With 2-3 of us building we can do it in 28 minutes, but solo it's about 32-33mins per run. It also works well for campaign nmhc, but is a little bit tricky to manage on the first wave due to the limited mana/restriction that has on what you can build.

ps. Our builder stats are around 3kdmg and 2k for all other stats.

Just realized my graphics was turned to medium from the horror that is fireballs and inferno traps.

No wonder those pics aren't very clear.

I may take screenshots of it, if anyone is interested. It also works well for campaign nmhc, but is a little bit tricky to manage on the first wave due to the limited mana/restriction that has on what you can build.

Would be awesome if you could do a screeny or two just to know where the beams get placed mainly. Tried it last night, all auras went to two upgrades, and all TBB's were are one star. But top left/right got overrun, so I can only assume I should upgrade those more. Or my auras were placed too much inside the map as copters weren't dying off-screen.

My stats are 3k+ primary stat 2k+ secondary stat for all my builders. With this build I can start at 28, spend one wave spamming upgrades with my Monkey+Genie Summoner, and AFK waves until the end. I'll tab back in to Flash Heal auras once and again between waves. Works flawlessly.

would this build work for campaign? i can't seem to work out a suitable build. my stats might be too low.
1kish on all my builders (can't seem to beat it on insane)

would this build work for campaign? i can't seem to work out a suitable build. my stats might be too low.
1kish on all my builders (can't seem to beat it on insane)

It should work on campaign, but your best doing it duo and using temporary towers.

I build auras, then temporary harpoons and reverse blockades. If you have time, switch to the summoner before combat and start building walls. I place the blockades behind where my minion walls will be.

You have to be quick. Duo is best. Good luck!!

Nice setup. I see you use almost nothing in east path, which suprises me, as sometimes a pack of DEWs rushes there. But will need to try this nonetheless. Also, I usually put 2 mages on each lane, as one dies too easily.

What suprises me at most is the lack of Gas Traps oO.

Also, I'm not starting at 28, at best I ended at this wave :P Will see if your build improves anything.

My build is different; but I also don't put down anything for the East approach on the outside crystal. The only mob that comes there is the occasional ogre (agro from my monkey), dews if I stand too close to the main East path to the inside, or copters. I have 2 harps and 2 fireballs behind the outside crystal on a buff that at least one of each cover that approach.

I also have a DS on buff for the inside crystal on the East side. It shoots through walls and gets more kills than a harp that can only pin mobs once they are in the doorway line of sight.

Nice setup. I see you use almost nothing in east path, which suprises me, as sometimes a pack of DEWs rushes there. But will need to try this nonetheless. Also, I usually put 2 mages on each lane, as one dies too easily.

What suprises me at most is the lack of Gas Traps oO.

Also, I'm not starting at 28, at best I ended at this wave :P Will see if your build improves anything.

After a while my stats on my Huntress increased therefore making my traps bigger and I had issues with djinn de-summoning them. I no longer use the fire trap on the centre bridge and use the extra DU to make a harp facing my wall near my fireballs. I also place my lone archer on that buff beam there.

No gas traps because no trash mobs reach my minions, Sharken never reach either and Djinn get killed quickly.

Once you're setup and going, I switch to all summoners to reduce aggro from all the mobs, flash heal once per wave after 32 and it's pretty cruisey.

After a while my stats on my Huntress increased therefore making my traps bigger and I had issues with djinn de-summoning them...

Well that is troubling to hear. My understanding was that a djinn targets the center of a trap or aura - which meant larger radius was better. Is my understanding of their de-summon mechanic incorrect? I currently have 2.2k and haven't had any problems with traps being de-summoned. Lucky I guess.

Well that is troubling to hear. My understanding was that a djinn targets the center of a trap or aura - which meant larger radius was better. Is my understanding of their de-summon mechanic incorrect? I currently have 2.2k and haven't had any problems with traps being de-summoned. Lucky I guess.

I could not explain what was happening, I just moved defenses accordingly.

Strangely, it was never an issue and all of a sudden, traps and buff beams going down...

This build was made to start at wave 28. :P

Then again, it should work before that as long as you have enough starting mana to survive early on.

Djinn got your trap. Not the end of the world, just go in again. :)

A dijinn got my trap once when i went through so I just moved it further back. Its now centered on the buff and that prevented them from stealing it while over the bridge.

I just gave it a shot and it worked! Got me two bad kobolds, one which was an upgrade to my giraffe, the other one was just useless.

It didn't exactly go smooth though. At east bridge I had sharken issue several times, despite never ever seeing a single sharken take that route (after it happened the first time I kept an eye on that lane). Still it happened a couple of times, when I wasn't looking. They always moved the phys beam and one of the fireballs. Nothing dangerous and could easily be fixed cheap with the jester next build phase. Another problem was desummoning on the north bridge. I read this thread and was aware of the problem, but my minions and fireballs didn't seem to lack in damage (minions are at 3k and fireballs 2k, well 2.3k now with the new kobold). After some investigation I noticed that the Djinns occasionally seemed to LoS my minion wall alsmost from under the bridge, resulting in only one archer being able to shoot it. I guess either moving the entire wall forward or backward should solve this. I also turned one of the fireballs to face east+north bridge instead of west+north, but it didn't seem to take care of neither the ninja-sharkens nor the annoying Djinns.

A Djinn also desummoned the buffbeam (what an idiot, he took only the buffbeam...) at tavern/east, but that only happened once and I have no idea how it managed to do that. Still everything held really well despite the occasional missing buffbeam.