Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

DunDef Digest 10/10/12 Discussion Thread

Break out the party hats because it's a celebration!

Next week marks the anniversary of Dungeon Defenders, and we're celebrating in style. As our gift to you, we're releasing new content for free! Included in this celebration Steam DLC pack are the aforementioned party hat accessories, a new Birthday Cake Crystal Core skin and a new Birthday Tavern theme!

You may ask be asking yourself, "How do I earn them?" Astute observation, dear friend! Will you have to gather items for a limited time? Nope. Will you need to match up birthday mobs? Not at all. What you'll need to do is...wait until next week to find out. After all, it can't be a celebration without a few surprises. I will say this: You'll have to protect something that brings us all together.

Our community is celebrating the occasion, too. Dredd and his PC community event team are hosting a special anniversary event next weekend, and they will be handing out a rare event item prize. DarkPython is streaming for 24 hours on October 19 in celebration of our birthday, and he'll have a few Dungeon Defenders Steam codes to hand out. Classic and his PS3 community event team are holding their final Super event that weekend with its own unique event reward.

Speaking of consoles, no word yet from SCEE or Microsoft about the PSN EU or 360 patch/DLC, respectively. Well keep you updated as we hear more.

As you may have noticed, the website update we mentioned last week didn't happen. Weve run into a few technical issues that we still need to iron out. Keep an eye on our Twitter for more details.

Ask Us Anything with Jeremy Stieglitz

Have a question for the team? Head to the new Ask Us Anything thread!

Are there any more patches coming soon? - KeenJammin

Jeremy: Yes, very soon.

Will there be another awesome sale of Dungeon Defenders this coming holiday season? - Nexus

Jeremy: *grin*

Does Trendy ever plan to release more unique modifications? Such as coloring of pets or modifying aspects of your tavern? - Garzhod

Jeremy: Not as part of the core game, but we plan to add more functionality to the DDDK soon.

I would like to know what happened to the idea of being able to customize and filter the display of dropped items on maps. This seemed like an excellent idea. - kyleg001

Jeremy: Coming up with an ideal way to present it took the wind out of that idea's sails; however, if some intrepid Defender writes a Total Conversion with the DDDK which does this, I promise that we'll incorporate their code into the core game.

Will there ever be a Meet the Trendy team with Jer? - CaptBoxershorts

Jeremy: Sounds like a plan.

As you guys are so open to modding with DD, will you allow modding of future games to come? - Cr4zy

Jeremy: As best we can!

Weekly Workshop Map Contest Edition: Mystywind Falls

As a wise woman once said, "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to."

Nexus thankfully didn't heed this sage advice. Mystywind Falls is a gorgeous two-crystal map. According to Nexus's forum post, the goal with the map was to create a new location similar to the play style of Deeper Well while adding a second core to defend. It sounds like the perfect map for solo players wanting an accessible challenge.

Subscribe to his map, give it a few test runs and leave your feedback on his Workshop page.

There's still three weeks left to make your own map for our contest. Winners will receive cash prizes and a beta key to our next project. We'll also hand out a few beta keys to honorable mentions, so if you want one, whip up a map! For the full list of contest rules and details, head to our official contest thread.

Trendy Friday Fun: Map Contest Edition with Cr4zy and Nexus

After a brief hiatus last week, our Trendy Friday Fun livecast is back!

This week, map authors Cr4zy and Nexus join us to discuss their map contest entries. The show starts at 5 p.m. EDT on our Twitch channel. We'll be giving out a few Dungeon Defenders Steam codes, too!

Meet the Trendy Team: Adam Stow

Want to learn more about the monumental task of overseeing our team? In this weeks Meet the Trendy Team, I spoke with our producer, Adam Stow, about the challenges and sacrifices of managing our ever-growing team.

Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions. First of all, who are you, and what do you do at Trendy?

Adam Stow is my name and producer is my game... of this game... or something.

My actual title these days though is producer overlord. I handle production management primarily, but I also dabbled in operations, HR, expansion and everything else that doesnt have a dedicated guy or gal on it. Basically Im the guy who ensures the studio has everything it needs to keep running, produce great content on a regular basis and have satisfied employees doing it!

Is this your first job in the gaming industry?

Nope. Ive been a paid writer for various sites over the last four years and a bit of a name for myself writing honest reviews for Ten Ton Hammer. Unfortunately, honest reviews also piss off the people sponsoring your site and rather than lose revenue, theyll find people who are willing to give crap like Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 95+ reviews.

Cest la vie.

What drew you to Trendy?

Its not often that you get in when a company is just hitting success. I saw the preorder numbers for Dungeon Defenders and then when an offer came my way, I realized I was joining a small team that was going to sell a lot of product and be a strong career move.

That, and I was addicted to what little I had played of the game as a reviewer. DMFlex and I played till 4 am that night -- I think we got all the way to Spires before we stopped!

Whats your daily routine as a producer?

First thing on my plate is to make sure nothing broke overnight. I check in with everyone and ensure that all tasks are running smoothly still, that our game still runs and that nothing cataclysmic is on my plate at the crack of dawn.

Then I tackle what needs to be done to ensure the team is smiling and strong. I edit deadlines to be fair but challenging based on the morning reports. I check in with new potential employees and scope out new artist portfolios. Then a fire will start, which can be anything from a hard drive failure to a fridge failure, and by fridge failure I mean someone drank all of the Coke or Red Bull. I now have assistants to help me out with those types of tasks, but I used to be the only one for those things when they came up.

So I guess you can imagine that no day is routine beyond production management.

Whats the most challenging aspect of managing the team?

Every few days I get tackled with a problem I have no idea how to handle -- fixing bogus art, moving websites, mounting projectors. I face unknowns on a regular basis and those are the core of my challenges. The team is wonderful and the least of my worries when it comes to things breaking down there. Tech, marketing, art -- they all work superb together, and its very rare that I have to intervene for a process or pipeline gone awry.

What do you love the most about your job?

I feel free. At the end of the day, I dont have a deadline for what I do. I have high-level deadlines for making sure content reaches completion, but a lot of that isnt on me directly. Its up to me to make sure it gets done, but when Im not the one writing the code or with the digital pen in hand, there is a certain sense of freedom obtained from that. Of course, you can only have that freedom if you work with a fantastic team that can be depended on to get things done when you need them done, and I am fortunate and thankful every day to be surrounded by these guys!

What do you wish you could change about your job?

I have some really long hours. I typically work from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, with the occasional 14-16 hour day. Its hard work, and it feels really good to see your game shine. But it can be taxing on your personal life, and Ive had to pass on my friends more than I like to admit. I am also dating a banker, and she gets out at 4:15 p.m. every day, making my love life a little subpar in the process.

At least I love what I do, right?

What are your top five favorite games?

Ill warn you, I have terrible taste!

#5 - Diadra Empty: I love side- and vertical-scrolling shooters. I love bullet hell games. This is the most unique take on it with some great production values, music and customization. Everyone I show this game to is in awe, and its a damn shame the guy who made it fell off the face of the earth after.

#4 - Front Mission 5: I dont think Ive played a strategy RPG that felt so good to confirm your attacks in until I played this. Your mechs will tackle the opposition, fire 50+ bullets, rain napalm and... accidentally shoot each other over the course of one round of combat. Its beautiful.

#3 - Tales of Destiny Remake: Just plain fun. A very freeform combat system that allows you to juggle opponents endlessly when mastered and tons of fun with friends in multiplayer, something most RPGs fail horribly at when they try to include it.

#2 - WarCraft III: The game that started a genre (the MOBA). I probably logged on every night for about 6 years straight. I was the #1 player on the east coast back in Reign of Chaos for a time. When that fervor subsided, the custom maps that the community made were enough to give me memories Ill never forget playing with my friends.

#1 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant: Basically the pinnacle of the PS2 RPG era, sporting a fun combat system and serious yet entertaining plot. Also, one party member beats people to death with a frozen tuna as a weapon. How can you not love this?

Do you have any hobbies that you enjoy while youre not working?

Im a pretty avid RTS and RPG gamer, as you might have figured out from the above list. I also love to bowl! I still dabble in video game writing and am doing some indie scriptwriting on the side for a few other projects.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to enter the industry?

You need a portfolio, not a degree, to have a chance in this world now. Find those indie projects of worth and make your contribution to them that gets you noticed. Explore sides of your trade that arent often pursued, such as VFX for artists and get your foot in the door as a generalist before you specialize in what you love.

Courtesy of DarkPython

Creations of the Week

Here are this weeks 10 billion mana winners! If you have an amazing video or screenshot, upload it to Steam. If you have a piece of fan art or another Dungeon Defenders creation, send it to [email]contest@trendyent.com[/email]. Each week, well choose five lucky winners and display them here in our Digest.

Courtesy of Commish

Courtesy of MicD

Courtesy of Monukai

Courtesy of Super Princess Peach

Until next time,
Hitmonchan

Will be nice to see another DLC. Will there be any new maps? :ogre:

You'll have to wait and see.

Great quote:

"Unfortunately, honest reviews also piss off the people sponsoring your site and rather than lose revenue, theyll find people who are willing to give crap like Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 95+ reviews."

[quote]You'll have to wait and see.[/quote]

That's a yes. Hopefully. xD

2 New Achievements on Steam right now:
[QUOTE]Anniversary Defender
You defended your Tavern against the horde!

Nightmare Anniversary Defende
You defended your Tavern against the horde... on Nightmare![/QUOTE]

Awesome secret keeping skills are awesome xD

Hitmon you don't have the skills to protect the secret from Daniel Sound. We will all be having fun trying to crack every secret you tell us ever. Make sure you never tell us your secret to your coolness.

will this make the criteria for Ultimate Defender change? or will it always be limited to the 87 before it?

Seeing as the other ones havent updated (RTS dosen't recognize sky city, etc.), I doubt the criteria will change.

Defending the tavern souds like fun ;)

I would like to know what happened to the idea of being able to customize and filter the display of dropped items on maps. This seemed like an excellent idea. - kyleg001

Jeremy: Coming up with an ideal way to present it took the wind out of that idea's sails; however, if some intrepid Defender writes a Total Conversion with the DDDK which does this, I promise that we'll incorporate their code into the core game.

Excellent to hear. :santa:

Well I hope the new tavern map is doable with my stats :(

Well I hope the new tavern map is doable with my stats :(

You should be able to do it I imagine. I don't think they would put out something impossible for everyone to do on such an occasion as a 1 year celebration. Nightmare should pose a challenge though.

I always wondered why the Tavern had monster pathing in it when working in the editor.... now I know why.

You should be able to do it I imagine. I don't think they would put out something impossible for everyone to do on such an occasion as a 1 year celebration. Nightmare should pose a challenge though.

I always wondered why the Tavern had monster pathing in it when working in the editor.... now I know why.

Ya I meant for NM. I hope it's easier than the shards maps, or even around the kings game. As a non elitist player, I hope it's not another one of those maps where 99% can't do it :/

Also, maybe a new tavern update?? Seems kinda cramped to build around the general area. OR MAYBE WE CAN FINALLY GO OUTSIDE OF IT!!!!