Sign in to follow this  
Nexus

POLL : A new map or a New Tavern?

Guess I'll see where the poll is at in 4 days. 33 to 32. Amazingly matched votes so far. I think the tavern needs some consideration by the talented dev's if the map is the final verdict.

I am not sure I see the point of a new tavern. I get that the current Tavern is small and cramped. But why a bigger one? More space for what? As Alhanalem stated, the tavern is just a portal to the rest of the content. A new map can provide new content to actually complete while the tavern would be aesthetics.

Somebody please point out what I am missing. Why is a new tavern such a draw?

Think you've got this spot on, my friend. A also have no idea why people need more room, 500 item box spaces, loads of room for dropping spare stuff.

On the other hand, a new map would mean more fun, different rewards, probably more hope at getting ultimate gear :)

First I have to say something after the last map contest. I really was disappointed, not that Palantir isn't really great, it is. Don't get me wrong but I thought we would at least get the three best maps to ranked.

It would be great if we now would get at least a few maps. The best PvP map, the best CTF and HtF map, the best three Campaign maps and a way to change between your and the original tavern and Monster Fests for the Campaign maps.

A New Tavern Monster Fest would be great as well.

Lol why not both?

-gow3isba

Contest rules and all. But I am working on both anyways. I would donate what I get done with the tavern, gratis, if it fits to Trendy's vision and standards.

Edit: So I've gone and tried a different approach. The original Tavern floor plan is relatively intact. What I've done is extend the outer walls several units (in terms of Feet I've probably added 80 sq ft. on to the tavern.) Still has it's original shape and it still has everything the original tavern has. Only difference now will be I can add on to it -anywhere- with new architecture. I can build up, down, sideways and diagonal. Made it very adaptable to extension.

And more importantly! If desired I can still make it so everyone can run around outside. This makes me really happy because I've got a lot of file space to work with!

how about both? :p

but yeah would give the map priority over the tavern, though would really like it a little bigger though

Cipher

A new map that once you beat it, you get the new tavern :D

YES. Want this..

YES. Want this..

Yeah the only problem with that is the game has the current securely coded to be the default LobbyLevel. So even if there was the Reward for beating the new map, couldn't officially change the Tavern without rolling out a total conversion.

I would love to submit both but the rules for the contest say 1 submission only. So one it is. I'm finding it funny it's a dead even vote for map and tavern.

Wow, i voted new map and saw the votes 50-50, man wasn't expecting that O_o

Yeah I wasn't either.

In case anyone is curious about how much space you'd be getting with a modified tavern the picture below should give you a good idea. All the tables and stuff are in their original places, the fireplace wall and all of the Window nooks are in their new spots. Secondly I can add or will add if it is desired, a whole seperate room just for the trophies. Doing that will leave a whole bunch of space for people to drop items and otherwise decorate their Tavern with loot!

But even now there's so much open space to utilize. I'll be redecorating the place over the next couple of days. This project takes a bit more time than Mystywind. Working with and around what is already in place is quite a challenge, plus recreating the look that was there before.

When the tavern is done, the only problem that's going to be in place is that the scripting prohibits it to be loaded (lot of DLC related things that are locked.) So what I will do is copy everything into a blank map and cook it. Should be upload-able, playable and mostly functional. [I will keep the kismet version for it's pure functionality in the event it's actually wanted.]

I'm fully satisfied with the tavern. It is much more than other games have. Normally I have a site on which the players are listed - and it is called e.g. lounge. In DD we have a Tavern. :-)

New map? Why not.

This clearly shows that there is actually more afk shops than game sessions, haha! xD

I honestly like both, either way i'm fine.

They both look so nice. I say give them both. That tavern looks beautiful but a new map would add more gameplay elements. Hm...

They both look so nice. I say give them both. That tavern looks beautiful but a new map would add more gameplay elements. Hm...

Well that begs the question then, what sort of gameplay elements is everyone looking for? A quick run down on the existing maps :

Tower Wars : The gameplay adds more of the classical web browser tower defense. Weapons can be disabled so it's sort of has pure strategy mode when desired. Best played with other people, though the PvP is mostly on the strategic level.

Yar Har Fiddle De Dee : Environmental gameplay, first map that features moving boats that engage at sea. Provides some challenge with multiple ship decks to manage in later waves. Very unique environment, also has a boss fight in the works.

Gallowmere: Has a very well plotted out set of Mayan temples or a city of sorts which includes deadly traps and spike pits to fall into.

Akatiti: Jungle setting, lots of great scenic waterfalls and carefully crafted ruins. A boss fight is being included (unless it doesn't work), but like Gallowmere, is purely Crystal Defense.

Arcane Library : Been around for a while, features floating crystals and invisible pathways. Also a Crystal Defense map.

Basement Death Match: Purely a PVP map with no towers allowed. Features it's own deadly hazard in the middle of the map. Which is great because there aren't many pure PVP oriented maps.

Mystywind Falls : The map I submitted for now, features a Deeper Well sort of layout and has some nice eye candy, but game play wise is also just a crystal defense map. I will be including something else soon to change that up a bit. Including a unique boss encounter.

A renovated tavern would provide : No gameplay mechanics, but improved amount of available space.

So far it has been fairly even about who wants a new playing environment and who wants an expanded tavern. Which is all I wanted to see. Poll closes tomorrow so I'll weigh in what the final results are and decide which one I should do. Also to be considered that all mod maps that are uploaded to steam workshop are still available to play. Only one map is getting added into ranked through the contest.