Sign in to follow this  
Kobalobasileus

About the Useful/Not Useful Thumb...

WTF

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=96958108

The funny thing is, even though I know that the "useful" thumb algorithm lives in a mythical land where the last horse in the race is sometimes declared the winner, I still feel compelled to always pick them up...

... only to have my hopes and dreams mightily crushed when I check my item box.

Oh, thumb algorithm, you little tease you.

That practical joker, with a smile ear to ear mocking your misery. The only pain I can see is that this thumb taunts you with the worst of items and never with anything worth.

Maybe the thumbs up/down should be added to the thread of "Current Known Issues" that lists all the bugs in the game.

And maybe the thread should be renamed "Current Known Issues That You All Need to Just Deal With Because Trendy Doesn't Care Anymore". Seriously, when's the last time something important came OFF that list? Trendy sure did move on with their lives, though.

Not only is it funny that it actually generated a mythic item with no resistances, but it gives you the thumbs up just to mock you. Awesome. If this isn't a real world demonstration of Trendy's broken code, I don't know what is.

How does that qualify for a myth? I don't even know...
It does have enough total stats on it to qualify to be a myth, but why it's thumbing that up, I have no idea. The basic gist of how the thumb works is it assigns a number based on a total "value" of all the stats on an item and compares that to the same value for the item you have equipped. But I'm not exactly sure how it calculates that value. Spent upgrades can throw the statistic, especially those spent on weapon damage for weapons (making most weapons look like inferior even if they might not be, since your weapon is usually upgraded), but for armor, it's borked in a different way, usually making even terrible stuff look like it's better.

/cue Dingle in to analyze the formula and give an explanation :D

It does have enough total stats on it to qualify to be a myth, but why it's thumbing that up, I have no idea. The basic gist of how the thumb works is it assigns a number based on a total "value" of all the stats on an item and compares that to the same value for the item you have equipped. But I'm not exactly sure how it calculates that value. Spent upgrades can throw the statistic, especially those spent on weapon damage for weapons (making most weapons look like inferior even if they might not be, since your weapon is usually upgraded), but for armor, it's borked in a different way, usually making even terrible stuff look like it's better.

/cue Dingle in to analyze the formula and give an explanation :D

To add to this(or clarify) available upgrades increase the perceived value immensely.

[QUOTE]To add to this(or clarify) available upgrades increase the perceived value immensely. [/QUOTE] yes- what I'm saying though is spending those upgrades (by way of the stats going up) pushes it up even more.