Sign in to follow this  
iamisom

DunDef Digest 9/12/12 Discussion Thread

Courtesy of Commish

Meetings. Every day there's a new meeting. Luckily for me, some of them occur right beside my office.

As I'm watching over the forums, hushed whispers swim through the hole in my door where a handle should be. I feel like a spy. Donning my black turtleneck, I crept into my favorite gaming studio undetected. And now, I'm learning the ins and outs of what's next.

I can't wait to share all of this with you. Soon. All in due time.

PC/Mac Patch Update

Its been awhile since our last PC/Mac patch. Lets change that.

Having issues with our Mac version? Our off-site team is fixing some of those pesky issues. You can expect this update to hit Steam this weekend and the Mac App Store in about a week and a half. The Mac App Store may take longer than that due to the approval process for patches. Also hitting Steam this weekend is a patch for the PC version of the game.

Well update our Twitter account the moment the patch notes are live. Stay tuned.

Console News Updates

No word yet from Sony or Microsoft, console fans. But we do have a spot of good news -- Laura and I are hosting another Trendy Console Event! Participants will earn a ridiculous amount of XP on Glitterhelm.

And for the first time ever, our console events will be streamed live on Twitch.

Next Friday, Sept. 21, will be our PS3 day. The following Friday, Sept. 28, will be our 360 day. PS3 fans, youll need to leave your PSN ID in a comment in this thread before midnight EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 19. 360 fans, youll have until midnight EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 26 to leave your XBL gamertag in this thread to sign up.

Events will last from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. EDT. Remember, signing up is not a guarantee of entry. Well randomize the list of entrants and post a list of the lucky few fans to join us. (Alas, the one flaw of having a small team.) Well update the Console Sign-Up Google Doc with the final list of people on the Thursday before the events.

Courtesy of Nekro Night

Weekly Q&A with Jeremy Stieglitz and Philip Asher

Were once again joined by our fearless leader Jeremy Stieglitz and marketing director Philip Asher (Pmasher) for this weeks Q&A session. Enjoy.

Who came up with the whole Dungeon Defenders idea? - CaptBoxershorts

Jeremy: Me, Jeremy Stieglitz. I started with the "Dungeon Defense" prototype that I created in 2010 with the Unreal Development Kit, and then when that piqued gamer's interests, I started building "Dungeon Defenders" as a bigger realization of the concepts of RPG + Tower Defense, and co-founded Trendy as part of that process. Gradually, the Trendy team originally composed of myself and a couple others got larger and larger as we built Dungeon Defenders towards its release in 2011.

Is Nightmare mode balanced around the original 4 heroes, or is it balanced around using the paid DLC characters (EV, Summoner) in addition to the regular heroes? - Carlh267

Jeremy: It's balanced around any combination of 4 heroes (definitely not meant to be taken on be a lone player). Certain missions can be somewhat easier with the DLC heroes in the mix, but it has been designed to be beatable by any combo.

After the upcoming DLC and patch for console, is that all for console support? No future DLC or patches planned? - SupRfirebird

Pmasher: Yes, the upcoming DLC and patch for consoles will be the last.

Are you guys aware of/will there be a fix for damage scaling on the Ultimate versions of The Eternian Greatsword, The Gambler's Polearm and The Light Knight? - Dragonsmight

Jeremy: If you can please explain the issue to me here, we will fix it! :)

Do you guys play Dungeon Defenders during work hours (for fun)? - Hisoka

Jeremy: We certainly did non-stop during its core development cycle, and still do! One of my favorite maps to play on for fun is Moraggo Desert Town.

Are there plans to release new Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday related content for the PC version of Dungeon Defenders? - Derikpr

Pmasher: Not at the moment, though we are considering making the previous DLCs free for their respective holidays this year.

If someone from the community were to write coding in relation to the RNG, and it was passed to the dev team and approved by them, would you introduce it to the game? - Classic22

Jeremy: We'd definitely consider it, but as we mentioned before, even a minute change there could alter the entire progression ramp, and not necessarily for the better (imagine getting Ultimate weapons in the first 10 hours of play, etc). So it'd have to be a change that kept the progression ramp intact, which can be tricky in a game with as much content as this.

Have a question for the team? Head to the new Ask Us Anything thread and ask away!

Weekly Workshop: The Arena

Looking for a great solo map? Welcome to The Arena.

This deceptively simple custom map by InvaderZim pits our heroes against waves of baddies who are trying to destroy a single crystal inside of a gladiator-style arena. In the stands around the arena, enemies from across the region cheer for your untimely demise.

This small map has a twist. (Of course theres a twist!) Every wave, a miniboss will spawn from a corner of the map. While these are a pain in the butt, its the wyverns and goblin copters that spawn almost directly above your crystal that will cause you the most grief. Have fun using harpoons against those dudes.

I love this map, and judging from the five-star rating on the Workshop, the community agrees. Be sure to subscribe to the map from the Steam Workshop and check it out for yourself!

Meet the Trendy Team -- Now on Tuesdays

Starting next week, our Meet the Trendy Team series will be posted every Tuesday. This way, each employee gets a whole day to shine. Next Tuesday, well talk to concept artist Mia Goodwin about her career in art and her job here at Trendy HQ.

Creations of the Week

I want your screenshots, videos and fan art! Good, bad or otherwise, please send them to me. Not only do they help brighten up the Digest, they could be featured on our Facebook page, and of course, I would be forever grateful to you.

Send them to [email]contest@trendyent.com[/email] with the subject "Creation of the Week"! Be sure to include your forum username or Steam username in the email. Our favorites will appear in future Digests!

Courtesy of Nekro Night

Until next time,
Hitmonchan

Discuss this Digest here!

Barneyo112 would like to be invited pleeease :) I just started about 2 months ago and would love some XP for PSN.

Post your PSN ID in this thread to sign up!

Awesome, I got Featured twice in this Weeks Digest :D Thanks guys. Always love the digests.

I hope to keep some awesome fan art coming. If I can find anything interesting :P

What happened with the facebook poll for us console gamers? I know "free stuff" was most probably the winner. For pc gamers you gave them the last hero for free during 2 weeks, what is console gonna get(if we do get something, which I hope)? And why arent you gonna give us another patch after this next one because wed still be missing pets, weapons and the instant upgrade?

wow really no more dlc for consoles well thats lame no more vita version on top of that ,swear consoles are treated like crap

Console dlc has to go through an approval process and can only be so big.

Participants will earn a ridiculous amount of XP on Glitterhelm.

Mean how much of exp will we gained? Double or triple from 2 mills, is like nothing for me (us). 10mills will be considered good news for me...

BRgds
LetsWiggle.

Participants will earn a ridiculous amount of XP on Glitterhelm.

Mean how much of exp will we gained? Double or triple from 2 mills, is like nothing for me (us). 10mills will be considered good news for me...

BRgds
LetsWiggle.

10 million is on the lower end of what we have in mind. :^)

Are you guys aware of/will there be a fix for damage scaling on the Ultimate versions of The Eternian Greatsword, The Gambler's Polearm and The Light Knight? - Dragonsmight

Jeremy: If you can please explain the issue to me here, we will fix it! :)

I believe this is what you're looking for
[QUOTE]
If someone from the community were to write coding in relation to the RNG, and it was passed to the dev team and approved by them, would you introduce it to the game? - Classic22

Jeremy: We'd definitely consider it, but as we mentioned before, even a minute change there could alter the entire progression ramp, and not necessarily for the better (imagine getting Ultimate weapons in the first 10 hours of play, etc). So it'd have to be a change that kept the progression ramp intact, which can be tricky in a game with as much content as this.[/QUOTE]
Well that's reasonable. So if it only altered late NM loot in small ways... (:p)

hi

thank you for doing writeup on the arena map

if you find the arena too claustrophobic, then try the pit, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95247168, which is going to end up being a bigger version of the arena with more room to use / round around in!

if you like my mini bosses where i basically took the regular bosses that the game had and scaled them down, i'm working on even smaller versions where instead of one per wave i will be able to have large number of them per wave all attacking you like regular mobs!

should be fun to have to defend against an army of cupids all coming at you at the same time :)

and wait til i can figure out how to get snowman, kraken and king genie working in a map so i can throw them in!

It's glitterhelm insane. Probably like 10mill+ exp
I am looking to get down on that. My squire needs lvl 78 then I am done leveling. :D

[QUOTE]Is Nightmare mode balanced around the original 4 heroes, or is it balanced around using the paid DLC characters (EV, Summoner) in addition to the regular heroes? - Carlh267

Jeremy: It's balanced around any combination of 4 heroes (definitely not meant to be taken on be a lone player). Certain missions can be somewhat easier with the DLC heroes in the mix, but it has been designed to be beatable by any combo.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the honest answer. If it wasn't meant to be taken on alone, there should've been a warning or something, but oh well. Once again, appreciate the honesty and will start playing with others soon. I disagree with that balance choice, but I'll live with it.

Is Nightmare mode balanced around the original 4 heroes, or is it balanced around using the paid DLC characters (EV, Summoner) in addition to the regular heroes? - Carlh267

Jeremy: It's balanced around any combination of 4 heroes (definitely not meant to be taken on be a lone player). Certain missions can be somewhat easier with the DLC heroes in the mix, but it has been designed to be beatable by any combo.

Hmmm... I can understand Hitmochan submitting this question to Jeremy instead of the one I posted, which addressed the problem a bit more specifically (and probably because mine was more of a loaded question; so fair enough)...

But I stand by what I wrote last week when I asked you guys if you were aware of how pigeonholed Nightmare strategy has become, especially for Shards maps/endgame and survival. Like I said last week, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong by one of your gameplay devs showing us a working layout of something like Sky City NM without using the EV or Summoner. I'd imagine it's at least doable on Campaign mode with ridiculously high stats, but on Survival?

Well, there's a reason why all of today's (working) layout guides look the same, use the same defenses -- in the same way -- and use the same strategy. I dunno, Jeremy... You're telling us that Shards and maps like Talay, Karathiki and King's Game can really be completed in Survival mode with "any combination of 4 heroes" (i.e., the original four)? I wanna believe that because I agree that's how the game should work, but I don't think it does... I think you guys started neglecting core hero balance after the EV and Summoner were released.

Yea if we don't get a patch for the dlc weapons n the little bugs where gonna get in the further a lot of ppl r going to quit

They have already stated the reasons why the DLC weapons and pets are not being included. If it takes 12(more?) new weapons and the 2 pets to keep people interested I have news for you. They will be leaving slightly sooner than they would have otherwise.

Hmmm... I can understand Hitmochan submitting this question to Jeremy instead of the one I posted, which addressed the problem a bit more specifically (and probably because mine was more of a loaded question; so fair enough)...

But I stand by what I wrote last week when I asked you guys if you were aware of how pigeonholed Nightmare strategy has become, especially for Shards maps/endgame and survival. Like I said last week, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong by one of your gameplay devs showing us a working layout of something like Sky City NM without using the EV or Summoner. I'd imagine it's at least doable on Campaign mode with ridiculously high stats, but on Survival?

Well, there's a reason why all of today's (working) layout guides look the same, use the same defenses -- in the same way -- and use the same strategy. I dunno, Jeremy... You're telling us that Shards and maps like Talay, Karathiki and King's Game can really be completed in Survival mode with "any combination of 4 heroes" (i.e., the original four)? I wanna believe that because I agree that's how the game should work, but I don't think it does... I think you guys started neglecting core hero balance after the EV and Summoner were released.

I think you're looking into his answer way too much. He simply dodged the actual question. The question was if Nightmare was balanced around the ORIGINAL FOUR (Apprentice, Squire, Huntress and Monk) not if Nightmare was balanced around FOUR PLAYERS (Which was how he answered the Question). Whether this was accidental or intentional, I do not know, but the sensible thing to do would be to go back and ask him the question again. Only this time clarifying it so that he actually answers the question asked.

Jeremy: We'd definitely consider it, but as we mentioned before, even a minute change there could alter the entire progression ramp, and not necessarily for the better (imagine getting Ultimate weapons in the first 10 hours of play, etc). So it'd have to be a change that kept the progression ramp intact, which can be tricky in a game with as much content as this.

From what I see, he is pretty clear. It probably is possible to beat the shards with just original characters, but for sure not possible to do survival. I actually want to test this.