Real Time Strategist question

Do you have to be in overlord mode or not?

Did a search, and know you can have non attacking pets and non attacking defences other than summons, but couldn't find this^^

No. The only requirement is "All damage must be dealt by Minions"

This. It's like getting the Gunslinger award, except with Minion damage in the place of Hero damage. You should be using a healthy amount of ensnare auras, strength drain auras, gas traps, physical beams, and buff beams. In fact, aside from when you build the Minions, you don't ever need to have the Summoner out at all during combat phase. I still haven't gone after the Mythical version of the achievement, but theoretically you could keep a Monk out and use Tower Boost as much as possible. Would this work? I haven't seen anyone mention using a Monk, but with slightly lower Summoner stats it could be a huge help.

This. It's like getting the Gunslinger award, except with Minion damage in the place of Hero damage. You should be using a healthy amount of ensnare auras, strength drain auras, gas traps, physical beams, and buff beams. In fact, aside from when you build the Minions, you don't ever need to have the Summoner out at all during combat phase. I still haven't gone after the Mythical version of the achievement, but theoretically you could keep a Monk out and use Tower Boost as much as possible. Would this work? I haven't seen anyone mention using a Monk, but with slightly lower Summoner stats it could be a huge help.

According to wiki that should be just fine, but I just tried Deeper Wells with an active Monk for the last 2 waves tower boosting minions, and I did not get the Mission Real Time Strategist award upon completion. I did get Master Strategist so I know I didn't do any accidental hero damage, and I only used ensnare, strength drain, gas trap, and buff beams.

According to wiki that should be just fine, but I just tried Deeper Wells with an active Monk for the last 2 waves tower boosting minions, and I did not get the Mission Real Time Strategist award upon completion. I did get Master Strategist so I know I didn't do any accidental hero damage, and I only used ensnare, strength drain, gas trap, and buff beams.

Ah, that's sad to hear. So you definitely didn't have any reflect beams set up, right? Those are known to invalidate the Real-Time Strategist award, even though you'd still likely get the Master Strategist one when using them. And obviously it wasn't pet damage, as that should have disabled both.

I know people who've got it by sitting in as a monk (with a guardian, not host), so you must have done something incorrect Chumm.

The wiki page has a list of DU defenses that can be safetly used.

Did you click your crystal in the tavern afterwards? For some reason, sometimes it just says "Master Strategist", but you actually earned Real Time.