Sign in to follow this  
Finalefireworker

Gas Traps vs Ensnare Auras

Very simple thread that I won't burden with my backstory.

Gas Traps or Ensnare Auras? What are the benefits and draw backs of each and what do you personally prefer?

I've only ever used Ensnare Auras and preferred them because they affect more enemy types and are constant AoE.

Second question: If DU is of concern and you could only afford one, would you consider a Strength Drain or an Ensare Aura more effective?

Very simple thread that I won't burden with my backstory.

Gas Traps or Ensnare Auras? What are the benefits and draw backs of each and what do you personally prefer?

I've only ever used Ensnare Auras and preferred them because they affect more enemy types and are constant AoE.

Second question: If DU is of concern and you could only afford one, would you consider a Strength Drain or an Ensare Aura more effective?

I would prefer ensnare over gas as ogres are not affected by gas.

And as for strength drain over ensnare. Would pick strength drain cuz my towers are beast.
:)

I prefer ensnare if flyers are getting to my crystal and gas if djinn and sharken are an issue. I use drain with electric to strip immunity or if my defenses are getting destroyed, e.g. minion walls.

I most often use ensnare, electric, drain, and gas together.

Gas is kinda mandatory in NM due to djinn/sharken.
Snares are powerful just about wherever you put them. Over a gas trap, they effectively make it's reset time 1/7th of what it is. Anything crossing a snare unimpeded will take 7x more damage, and will bunch up making AoE damage far more effective.
Again, the amount of damage mobs do in NM makes drains incredibly difficult to ignore.

They all cover different things, so I can't compare them

Gas traps do have small gaps in the overall stun time, but depending on your defense they can be incredibly effective. At some point of stats, and with a fairly sharken target light build, snare can replace the role of a gas trap - but I usually would use both in conjunction anyhow. It sounds like you are trying to tweak a build so perhaps that would be a better place to start? As to str drain vs ensnare, it really depends on the purpose of the aura - since they perform really different roles, at least how I use them.

I appreciate the replies.

I'm actually somewhat surprised to see people use both simultaneously.

I consider myself a successful player, clearing mostly every Nightmare campaign with no heroes that have stats over 1.5 and most barely over 1000. All of my builds took a lot of practice and everything is meticulously placed. But the one character I don't have is a Huntress, who sits unleveled and unused in my forge.

I didn't expect to see Sharkens brought up so many times. I never have problems with Sharkens. So rarely does a Sharken affect my defenses that I haven't even had to use my Jester yet. The Sharkens are always brought to a crawl in my Ensnare Auras and don't get anywhere near my defenses...

So, now I'm curious, what do Gas Traps do to Sharkens that Ensares don't? Do they stop them dead?

Do they stop them dead?

Yes if you catch them before they start winding up, same with djinn and most mobs (exceptions are ogres/DEWs/spiders/lit kobolds) except they are never immune to its effect.

Just try dealing with 2-3+M HP sharks without gas :p

EDIT:

You won't see them much if you use summons as walls. However, I find EV walls are still more reliable in most situations once sharks are out of the equation

I use both snares and gas traps. Some enemies aren't really affected by gas traps, and the snare helps when the effect is down. The combination of the two is very hard for any regular enemy to get past.

As the rest has stated, combo is best. For those new players who aren't familiar with the mechanics:

The gas trap mechanic is one which completely stops an effected mob(s). There are some mobs and mob conditions which are immune to the effect. The stopped state lasts for a time but is not permanent. Trap health and reset plays parts in that. Once the effect has ended the trap must reset before it can discharge again.

Ensnare auras slow a mob(s) down to x% of their normal movement speed. Once again certain mob and mob conditions are immune to the effect. However the aura effect is constant and permanent as long as the aura has health.

Basically the advantage to using both is that you can effectively keep the mob within the trap zone of effect once the gas (stop) wears off by using the ensnare to make them move too slow so that the trap resets and they are stopped once again before they can leave the trap zone. In other words you get the same result as several gas traps lined up in series - but at a cheaper DU cost. As CrzyRndm mentioned; as much as 7. Of course this scenario ignores the immune.

With 1.5k stats in NM basic campaign the double use is overkill. But jump to late wave survival on the shards maps and you will find that combo is a sweet addition to your build and especially when the mob moves like crack sugar ants on speed.

There are other considerations that I glossed over like djinn desummoning ensnares but not gas traps. Or ensnares being the best thing for flyers due to the traps activation method and placement issue.

For the campaign I dont believe enemy HP ever gets much higher then can be handled quite nicely at 1k-1.5k stats, but as you delve more into the survival maps the health on stuff gets quite ridiculous. As the djinns and sharken start to live a signficantly longer time, the easiest fix is to mix in gas or inferno traps to compensate for your lightning aura no longer being able to take out all the trash by itself. I don't think I used many traps on my campaign clearing either, since my trap was my most neglected character until I started attempting to get to farther waves on the shards and beyond maps.

I guess in short, try your setup on survival and see how it goes, maybe sharken won't give you any issues but if they do that may do more for us trying to sell you on gas traps then a few words. ;)