I can however see myself going to open - if I can just figure out how to make a TC that would have little code changes like no more roll-overs, ugly RNG, selectable difficulty factor on NM (i.e. increase factor to make a map more difficult with a linked corresponding increase in loot factor), etc. (bug type fixes or improvements to vanilla game) - but not with any munchkin mod to it in order to keep it challenging.

that's basically why i run open. i made a mod to generate mana for me so i don't have to farm mana to upgrade gear, and tweaked some maps so the RNG isn't quite as horrible. nothing major, just enough that i know if i invest some time into it, it probably won't be wasted.

oh and i made a set of hack gear to get over a wall once. i spent about the same amount of time learning how to hack in DDDK and making that set then it would have taken me to get the gear in the first place most likely, but guess which one was more stimulating to me?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. We're still providing patch support for the game, as well.

And yet you will not respond to any posts concerning loot or the RNG. Read forums much?

And yet you will not respond to any posts concerning loot or the RNG. Read forums much?

It's probably because there isn't anything to say. RNG isn't "broken", it's "working as intended". Yeah, 99.9998% of the loot is absolute crap, but their official response is: "dat luck".

Nothing we can do but complain, then move on.

I think the problem is that the RNG is designed to keep people playing in the most frustrating way possible. Getting the best loot requires unfathomable hours of gameplay given the current system; hence people will keep reaching for that golden ring and dumping hours into the game. However, the hours played/reward ratio is so awful that even people who WANT to keep dumping time into getting better loot have given up.

If even the smallest tweak was made to the RNG, I think the game would see a HUGE influx of veteran players returning. But do what you want. It's your show.

It's probably because there isn't anything to say. RNG isn't "broken", it's "working as intended". Yeah, 99.9998% of the loot is absolute crap, but their official response is: "dat luck".

Nothing we can do but complain, then move on.

Actually there is something else, just don't buy their stuff anymore. Personally I wont.

I'm a big fan of this game, but I think that anyone can see... leaving it in this condition for all-time is a terrible idea. A few small tweaks and DD can live on its own for a very long time. Leave it like this and it will be dead in 3 months or less. Its ridiculous for Trendy to just plain ignore the massive amount of meta-game feedback spanning many thousands of hours sunk into their product.

How would it hurt Trendy or the game to loosen up the gears before you ditch it?

Choice #1:
...Nothing we can do but complain, then move on.

Choice #2:
Actually there is something else, just don't buy their stuff anymore. Personally I wont.

Choice #3: Keep providing constructive input (though honestly if the programming team has moved on then this option is fruitless).

Choice #4: Go with open and total mods with the intent to fix what is vexing the community while still keeping it non-munchkin.

Since Trendy has provided the DDDK; as previously stated I'll be giving choice #4 a shot though I am rusty at coding since I've not coded anything of magnitude in over 15 years. If I make headway with this; I'll post the files.

the game is only just about 1 year old, why does anyone think there is going to be a DD2 so soon (if ever)? 1 year is too soon to have a sequel for this type of game, even 6 years is too soon.

just because you been playing the game since day 1 and did everything there is to do, doesn't mean that everyone else has.

just because you bought every single DLC and think having them, and all your progress, go to waste when DD2 comes out is fun, doesn't mean everyone else does.

just because there is no more DLC planned, doesn't mean there cant be new additions added in patches. there is still gonna be patches for the game for a while.

if Trendy is working on another game, it most certainly isn't DD2. there really is no reason for a DD2, they can just add to DD1. what could be "improved" in a 2nd game that cant be just added to the first? and, fairly sure Trendy wants to make something *new*, not a re-hash of something they already made.

sequels to these types of games aren't needed, especially not so soon after they where released. also, do you really wanna get DD2 knowing that the devs will stop supporting it within a year and then release DD3? come on...

A year is a long time.

Whilst I do not know what Trendy are up to, I would bank on it being on a project they spoke about long ago called Afterlife.

My next bet would be (hopefully) DD2. OMD released a sequel very early, why shouldn't Trendy? It's not like we can't all play the original if there is a sequel.

A year is a long time.

Whilst I do not know what Trendy are up to, I would bank on it being on a project they spoke about long ago called Afterlife.

My next bet would be (hopefully) DD2. OMD released a sequel very early, why shouldn't Trendy? It's not like we can't all play the original if there is a sequel.

A year is a long time.

OMD can't really be compared in this situation.

* It's entirely Single Player.
* It was generally received very well so a sequel made sense in this situation.
* It gave them the chance to implement Co-op.
* The sequel itself allowed you to even play some of the older maps if you had the first game.

DD is a Multiplayer Game, so i can survive and thrive off of additional content being added to the base game. It was received and anticipated very well at first, but then they got a little over-ambitious, and now a lot of the stuff within the game are skewed (Like Progress and Loot Quality). That in my opinion should be addressed before they even think about making a sequel. The reason is to regain that buyers confidence in their current players and also in new ones. After all, if they can't even properly polish off the first game in the series, how exactly are we expected to trust that they will in the next one? That is unless they think they can survive off the mindless sheep that play their game without questioning it's flaws and buy every piece of DLC they come out with whether it's good value or not.

Played almost day1, have all DLCS (some gifteds), i don.t have all achievments nor do i want to get them. I have a decent team and pretty much everything, yet, i won.t play until something new happens. Hope many ppL does this to (from what i.ve read, many already did).

But, i.m a tower defence lover, i really like this kind of games, and, from the many i.ve ran into, DD is def the best ever, the graphics, the hero thing, its just different and very interesting. I.m sure i won.t quit the game, but i won.t play until they give me another reason to.

I think the problem is that the RNG is designed to keep people playing in the most frustrating way possible. Getting the best loot requires unfathomable hours of gameplay given the current system; hence people will keep reaching for that golden ring and dumping hours into the game. However, the hours played/reward ratio is so awful that even people who WANT to keep dumping time into getting better loot have given up.

If even the smallest tweak was made to the RNG, I think the game would see a HUGE influx of veteran players returning. But do what you want. It's your show.

+1

I'm not sure what which point time all this spiraled out of control, all I know for sure is that I ran out of people to play with, I ran out of premium loot to attempt a trade and that now every time I try play the game the end result is wanting a bit less to play it next time.

I think the lack responses or information from a community manager or TrendyEnt the last few weeks pretty much sums up the answer to this question.

Unfortunately this.

@dragonsmight that's not entirely true

if you look at gearbox software, they only released 4 or 5 patches over 2 years

the fact that they don't have anything listed for the upcoming patch doesn't mean there will be no more patches, it can be that they're looking into some fixes/to busy with another project atm/testing/yada yada yada

Cipher

the fact that they don't have anything listed for the upcoming patch doesn't mean there will be no more patches, it can be that they're looking into some fixes/to busy with another project atm/testing/yada yada yada

Cipher

That may be so, but when you ask yourself how long a lot of problems have been going on for untouched, it starts to become a bit clearer. It isn't just that they haven't updated their 'upcoming patch' notes, its that it has been over 3-4 months with these same issues that have not been dealt with.

The fact that they aren't saying anything now or refuse to discuss the matter with people on the forum who actually make well thought out threads is generally enough to get a good idea. They will respond to people talking about random bull crap all the time that has nothing to do with the game in the GENERAL GAME DISCUSSION forum, yet they absolutely will not say anything relating to the game when it comes to important matters.

It is borderline pathetic.

That may be so, but when you ask yourself how long a lot of problems have been going on for untouched, it starts to become a bit clearer. It isn't just that they haven't updated their 'upcoming patch' notes, its that it has been over 3-4 months with these same issues that have not been dealt with.

The fact that they aren't saying anything now or refuse to discuss the matter with people on the forum who actually make well thought out threads is generally enough to get a good idea. They will respond to people talking about random bull crap all the time that has nothing to do with the game in the GENERAL GAME DISCUSSION forum, yet they absolutely will not say anything relating to the game when it comes to important matters.

It is borderline pathetic.

This. 100% this.

I think something a lot of people fail to understand and realize is that this game is NOT and I repeat NOT an MMO. It operates similar to a MMORPG with progressive content, items, chars, levels etc but it is NOT an MMORPG. What I mean by this is that short of them working on this game for the next 10 years until the graphics and engine are so dated that it the players themselves get sick of it there will never actually be a point at which it is "safe" to drop support and additional content. People will always and I do mean ALWAYS want more. No matter where TE stops it people will complain. Be it now, a year from now, two years from now, five years from now people will STILL complain and think that the game is not finished.

They already took the game beyond what they had initially expected, that much is very apparent with how the nightmare mode panned out as well as some of the obviously glaring bugs there are with item and loot generation.

That being said I do believe that they need to cut off content at some point, now is as good a time as any. Regardless of whether or not DD2 is or is not a next project they'll never make everyone happy so they shouldn't even try. ALTHOUGH and I am going to highlight this bit. Items and item generation IS a bug. It needs to be seen as and treated as a bug. From what I've read TE is very tight lipped about it and thus have given everyone the impression that it is "working as intended" and I'll say one thing on behalf of the players with regards to that particular "bug". If TE does intend to support the game with content patches, this is one particular issue that NEEDS to be resolved and fixed. If it is a issue or limitation with the engine they need to be honest with us about it. If it is an issue of requiring too much work for too little benefit again they need to be honest with us about it. TE, I personally am fine with you leaving the game as is in a "finished" state. What I am not okay with is an official saying that there intends to be continued patch support yet the one of the most annoying bugs that has been getting plastered all over the forums regarding loot is not only unresolved but unrecognized.

Then there are other issues such as Ogres squeezing through defenses and Minion walls. Completing ignoring the mechanics that are suppose to exist in the game such as threat and distraction. I would like to say I can speak for the players as a whole when I say that WE love this game very much, but if it must be considered "finished" please actually address the BIG and KEY issues or at the very least be honest with us about it so we know that it isn't simply being ignored. Thank you.

... Items and item generation IS a bug. It needs to be seen as and treated as a bug. From what I've read TE is very tight lipped about it and thus have given everyone the impression that it is "working as intended" and I'll say one thing on behalf of the players with regards to that particular "bug". If TE does intend to support the game with content patches, this is one particular issue that NEEDS to be resolved and fixed. If it is a issue or limitation with the engine they need to be honest with us about it. If it is an issue of requiring too much work for too little benefit again they need to be honest with us about it. TE, I personally am fine with you leaving the game as is in a "finished" state. What I am not okay with is an official saying that there intends to be continued patch support yet the one of the most annoying bugs that has been getting plastered all over the forums regarding loot is not only unresolved but unrecognized. ....

Issue or limitation with the engine with regards to loot RNG... not really as that is a coding issue and a nicely suggested fix by Dingle ( i.e. http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?77597-We-all-know-RNG-is-100-broken-so-why-not-rant-about-it/page4 ) has been suggested. Too much trouble or work for too little benefit... probably - I mean why fix it if it doesn't impact future DLC (of which there will be none) or sells (I don't know if broken loot determination impacts sells at this point).

My hope would be that Trendy takes advantage of the hard work that Dingle has put into delving into the code and understanding it. Because he has suggested several fixes (with code samples) to issues that are purely coding items that would go along way to making the game much better while keeping the intent and flavor of it the same.

Cipher

My point is we used to hear from at least one person from TrendyEnt multiple times a day. I have seen them post within minutes of a bug being brought up. Now we are lucky to hear from them once a week.