Mac support thread - Bugs/fixes & workarounds

So since there's quite a few performance issues on the mac and several bugs, i decided to make a thread where all the mac ppl can share their input/fixes/bug reports yada yada yada

color codes;
cyan issue; issue with workaround
red issue; issue without any fix/workaround
green issue; solved issue EDIT; these will be simply left out
yellow issue; needs confirmation

Official known bugs

Issue; Configuration menu doesn't appear.
Description; For some Mac users the configuration menu doesn't appear and changes need to be done manually.
Fix/Workaround;
- Browse to user/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/dungeon defenders
- right click on the dungeon defenders game and select "open package contents"
- go to config/contents/MacOS
- you should see a file called DDconfig, open it and the configuration menu should appear, save the configuration and it should show a message that it was saved successfully, afterwards, simply exit the configuration manager and launch dungeon defenders the normal way

Notes;
- this workaround works for every keybinding, but if you are using a non-standard keyboard (eg azerty) it will show the buttons as qwerty (eg w on azerty will show as z in game and in the config editor)
- to get to the library on lion OS X 10.7 or higher, press and hold the alt key and click go on the apple menu bar, it should show the library

User reported bugs

Issue; choppy/stuttering intro&loading screens
Description; the game has trouble with the intro logos and the loading screens (purple crystal aura thing) as in it stutters real bad and causes temporary freezing of the game with the spinning beachball mouse cursor
Fix/Workaround; N/A

Issue; Seahorse pet unusable due to major lag
Description; the seahorse pet can't really be used since it will cause tremendous framedrops and lag, this also happens if other people are using the seahorse in an online game
Fix/Workaround; Use another pet (personally recommend a dragon for dps)

Issue; Scrolling through public games broken
Description; when using the touchpad to scroll up on the mac it scrolls down at the same time (when using the multi touch feature (2 finger scrolling)
Fix/Workaround; Use a mouse

Issue; Player names constantly flickering
Description; when in a game, the green player names above the players are constantly flickering and sometimes the characters themselves (skelly meshes) flicker as well
Fix/Workaround; N/A

Cipher

Seahorse pet = not useable due major lag.

Workaround; use another pet, that goes for everyone in game.

Issue; Configuration menu doesn't appear.
Description; For some Mac users the configuration menu doesn't appear and changes need to be done manually.
Fix/Workaround;
- Browse to user/library/application support/steam/steamapps/common/dungeon defenders
- right click on the dungeon defenders game and select "open package contents"
- go to config/contents/MacOS
- you should see a file called DDconfig, open it and the configuration menu should appear, save the configuration and it should show a message that it was saved successfully, afterwards, simply exit the configuration manager and launch dungeon defenders the normal way

Cipher

I was able to access the configuration with this workaround. However, I am a Mac Nub and it took me a while to fine the /Library/ portion of the filepath.

Just so other Mac noobs know, to get to the appropriate /Library/ folder, you must hold option and click "Go" from the finder menu. This reveals the otherwise hidden folder.

(I'm running 10.8, btw).

Also, For what it's worth, the major problems I have found are:
- Stutters at loading (usually just during the Tnet icon)
- Random crashes (****ay for crashing in the middle of wave 30 of a survival!!!!)
- Lower FPS than I should be getting (This Mac is *far* better than the PC I used to play on; there's no reason for it to be acting up like it is).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Seahorse pet = not useable due major lag.

Workaround; use another pet, that goes for everyone in game.

LOL, love your workaround xD

I was able to access the configuration with this workaround. However, I am a Mac Nub and it took me a while to fine the /Library/ portion of the filepath.

Just so other Mac noobs know, to get to the appropriate /Library/ folder, you must hold option and click "Go" from the finder menu. This reveals the otherwise hidden folder.

(I'm running 10.8, btw).

Also, For what it's worth, the major problems I have found are:
- Stutters at loading (usually just during the Tnet icon)
- Random crashes (****ay for crashing in the middle of wave 30 of a survival!!!!)
- Lower FPS than I should be getting (This Mac is *far* better than the PC I used to play on; there's no reason for it to be acting up like it is).

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Cheers!

yeah should've added that (will do now ^^), running snow here and the library isn't hidden on that :p, could've also used terminal actually :p

Cipher

Failed to create game is not a mac-specific issue.

in the known issues thread, it says "(mac only)"

:p

Tell trendy

Greetz Apple-Guy

It can happen on PC as well, so perhaps the cause is different. You can change it back if you want.

Game Crashes

Anybody else having trouble with the game crashing right out of the tavern? It's happened the last 3 times I've tried to play the game. That's on version 7.41 and 7.41b (If memory serves). And it wasn't doing too great before then by which I mean constant crashes during maps.

Anybody else having trouble with the game crashing right out of the tavern? It's happened the last 3 times I've tried to play the game. That's on version 7.41 and 7.41b (If memory serves). And it wasn't doing too great before then by which I mean constant crashes during maps.

Have you found what might "trigger" the crash? I'm getting crashes when trying to rotate 180.
Here's my specs:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

@alhanalem i never touched it (the OP) :p, but will probably add it also happens on PC

@both people with crashes, try resetting NVRam (cmd+option+p+r upon boot, if odne correctly it should boot a second time)

if it doesn't work try clearing your dungeon defenders preferences (not the saves though)

i'll have to check on the exact location though

@rebelious specifically, does it happen when pressing a shortcut keybinding for a 180 turn? or simply when moving the mouse til 180?

Cipher

Wow, I completely forgot I had posted here. Been busy this whole week.

need your video hardware as well.

Here it is. Thanks for replying quickly when I posted here about my issue. Wish I had remembered to do the same.
[QUOTE]Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0012
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
[/QUOTE]

@rebelious specifically, does it happen when pressing a shortcut keybinding for a 180 turn? or simply when moving the mouse til 180?

It happens when I move the mouse until the character does a 180 turn.

try zapping you NVram

upon boot hold; command+option+P+R

the computer should reboot a second time when done correctly

Cipher

Verified. Redownloaded three missing files. Still crashing.
It only happens in "third person shoulder cam" view. I switched it to overhead and it works fine, although I personally preferred third-person view. I even switched to overhead view, rotated 180, then tried switching back to third-person view and it still crashed.

that seems more like a game bug, though, i don' think that happens to me, i'll have to check, do you turn slowly or biolently?

and/or do you have mouse acceleration on your mouse?

Cipher

Either turning speed does it. As for mouse acceleration, I installed a System Preference panel that lets me tinker with mouse acceleration, but I have that essentially off. The name of the panel is, fittingly enough, "Mouse Acceleration". The panel that comes standard ("Mouse") is set to four notches to the right of "Slow".

I've only had this "crash on spin" bug since updating my system from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. However, as one of my professors told us, "When you start noticing something after you do something else, the two may not be related." On the other hand, it was a quantum mechanics course, so who knows what anything means.

As I said before, overhead cam seems to work. I suspected it would, but always forgot to check. That means I have a lot of Dungeon Defenders to catch up on. And I'll need to get used to overhead, hahaha.
:skeleton:

haha, you're proffessor is right though xD often it isn't related to a recent event, did enough tech support to find that out :p

as for the mouse do you have a standard apple mouse or a custom one? i'm about to install mountain lion myself (hackingtosh though, since the mac pro is outdated and doesn't get updated) so i'll be able to test it for myself then

Cipher

running a laptop i'm guessing unles syou're using the magic trackpad

but could you try teh following;

shut down computer
unplug all external devices (only power supply connected)
boot up your comp
launch up DD and do a 180 :D

Cipher

every single time i boot up the game in my mid-2011 macbook air, the game redownloads all of my open mode mods, does anyone know why this is? it's sorta annoying and causes a little bit of lag every single time that i boot up the game.

• 1 month later...
found a new one

Issue; Player names constantly flickering
Description; when in a game, the green player names above the players are constantly flickering and sometimes the characters themselves (skelly meshes) flicker as well
Fix/Workaround; N/A

Cipher