The Barbarian Vs The Monk - Dps

So I have seen many a threads lately claiming over and over again that the monk is the best dps character.
I'm just curious as to what everyone hits as their monk/barbarian?

Here is some ****ty video I took in like a minute just as an example of my barbs dps.

Edit: Vid had issues taken down.

The reasons why Monk is a better DPS is...

1) He can use ranged weapons
2) Tower Boost (Makes towers do 2-3 times more dps & Heal most defenses at same time)
3) Hero Boost (Makes Pet/Weapon 2-3 times more dps & Heal your hero at the same time)

Barbarian is good, but Monks just simply are better overall for builds and survival.

The reasons why Monk is a better DPS is...

1) He can use ranged weapons
2) Tower Boost (Makes towers do 2-3 times more dps & Heal most defenses at same time)
3) Hero Boost (Makes Pet/Weapon 2-3 times more dps & Heal your hero at the same time)

Barbarian is good, but Monks just simply are better overall for builds and survival.

At 1. Eternian Greatswords anybody?

At 2 and 3. So what your telling me is that something is considered a better dps because of it's support?
I'm sorry but I was really into wow for years and we didn't recruit a dps for any reasons of the sort.

Dps is dps, it has to do with damage mitigation and a few other off roles. And as for survivability? Dps barb, siphon stance, and a genie.
Nothing can survive longer than that.

His third point actually doubles or triples your personal damage, as well as pet - and anyone around you is a sort of bonus effect. I think the highest I have personally seen was a monk with a prop cat using a stone's throw, each ball was doing 12 million, I didnt see what the dps was cause he was just flinging them all over the tavern haha.

Also, I dont know how you played WoW without covering the dps raid synergy points, i.e. having 6 fire mages wasn't a terribly great raid damage composition. A mix of classes/specs was almost always more effective and I think the same holds true for monk/barb two of either isn't going to produce as good of results as both together.

His third point actually doubles or triples your personal damage, as well as pet - and anyone around you is a sort of bonus effect. I think the highest I have personally seen was a monk with a prop cat using a stone's throw, each ball was doing 12 million, I didnt see what the dps was cause he was just flinging them all over the tavern haha.

Also, I dont know how you played WoW without covering the dps raid synergy points, i.e. having 6 fire mages wasn't a terribly great raid damage composition. A mix of classes/specs was almost always more effective and I think the same holds true for monk/barb two of either isn't going to produce as good of results as both together.

Barb seems very situational. Like getting one good hawk in on the Genie since he runs away so fast. But overall the monk just delivers so much damage, and can do it at a safe distance, it's almost not even fair... Well its not fair, that is why monk is OP lol.

My thoughts:

Barb: Best for Boss Rush, and facing bosses in general
Monk: Best for Survival, taking out ogres and keeping defenses in tip-top shape

Best duo combination, hands down: Barb with propeller cat, Monk with Seahorse. Using this combo I've been able to hit over 300 million DPS in the tavern.

You completely misread what I said, I never said all dps all the time was the best. I said that providing bonuses for other classes is not what you would have a dps for on a raid/in any game.
That's like saying a rogue should use his bandages instead of a priest healing someone, it's pointless and idiotic.

Secondly I used my full set of dps ult gear with a prop cat on my barb and my monk.
The monk had a good eternian spear.
The barb had two good eternian greatswords.

Monk = 76m dps.
Barb = 119m dps.

So no he doesn't do as much as a barb in any kind of way.
In all honesty I'm not looking for responses from anyone who has each one to 90.
I'm also talking about end game effectiveness.

My thoughts:

Barb: Best for Boss Rush, and facing bosses in general
Monk: Best for Survival, taking out ogres and keeping defenses in tip-top shape

Best duo combination, hands down: Barb with propeller cat, Monk with Seahorse. Using this combo I've been able to hit over 300 million DPS in the tavern.

You must be using a damn good prop cat? Because I've never seen any kind of dps that high.

Barb > Monk when no towers are in play.

When towers are in play, Monk > Barb.

A team of barb and monk are a great combo like the above said. but if I had to choose 1 or the other... Monk wins hands down.

You must be using a damn good prop cat? Because I've never seen any kind of dps that high.

I have seen barbs dish out well over 100m in tavern with dual steamsaws + propeller cat (with a correct timing of the Hawk Stance), without monk support. Hero boost stacks with propeller cat and hero boost is capable of tripling the damage output of heroes within range, so 300m DPS is not unimaginable.

So yeah, monk + barb seems to be the best combo for boss fights (for Survival anti-ogre work, I still stand by monk + initiate).

Huh, rogue healing with bandages? Hero boost is similar to a WoW mage's time warp, it boosts not only your dps, but your parties, that is all I was saying. Its a personal cooldown as well as providing benefits for people near you.

I'm still not sure what would be the best way to compare it, since it seems the major factor is what weapons you are using, and its highly unlikely to have two sets of the exact same statted/ups/quality of weapon. Not to mention whether you count the added dps of anything being boosted by the monk in a real scenario.

I have seen barbs dish out well over 100m in tavern with dual steamsaws + propeller cat (with a correct timing of the Hawk Stance), without monk support. Hero boost stacks with propeller cat and hero boost is capable of tripling the damage output of heroes within range, so 300m DPS is not unimaginable.

So yeah, monk + barb seems to be the best combo for boss fights (for Survival anti-ogre work, I still stand by monk + initiate).

Ahh sorry my mistake didn't notice he said he was using the monks aura to hit 300m on the barb.
I thought he was saying he hit 300m on the barb solo xD..

Nonetheless even factoring in everything I can't see what makes the monk (himself) a better dps.
Making other people hit higher doesn't make you a better dps is makes you a better support.

The barb can use eternian greatswords, so he also has a form of ranged attacks like the monk.

He can also cover ground much faster with his tornado stance, then once getting to the mobs he is attacking switch off to siphon.
If he has a genie the mana will pour in and as long as his attacks in the group keep up he wont run out of mana therefore not die.

Infact I think the only possible way for a well geared competent barb to die would be from a boss or falling off a ledge.
Where as a monk if swamped down by enemies will die.
And even if somehow an endgame barbarian was to die he could switch to his tornado stance and jump out of the situation.

Putting support aside entirely I don't see one way the monk has the barb beaten.. And I'm not saying the monk is bad.
I absolutely love my monk to death, but I just don't see him viable as pure dps as opposed to a barb.

Infact I hardly see the place for pure dps in this game at all. (aside from not crystal missions/challenges)
Which incase misunderstood, I'd like to say I am not suggesting that the barbarian is better than the monk in general.

But is better solely as a dps class.

Infact I hardly see the place for pure dps in this game at all. (aside from not crystal missions/challenges)
Which incase misunderstood, I'd like to say I am not suggesting that the barbarian is better than the monk in general.

But is better solely as a dps class.

I take it you've never had 7 or more ogres with 60 mil hp stacked up on one wall while more just keep pouring in....

I take it you've never had 7 or more ogres with 60 mil hp stacked up on one wall while more just keep pouring in....

I take it you took a fragment of my sentence and ran with it?
Did you just magically drop out the word "pure" or???

What I am saying is that in this game the barbarian makes little sense as a whole.
Because other classes can do near as much dps AND lay traps/towers/auras.

And obviously whether or not something is built to be dps e.g monk it still isn't a "pure dps" because it doesn't entirely lose it's ability to use it's auras.

So my opinion of course excludes the use of the monks auras.

What I am saying is that in this game the barbarian makes little sense as a whole.

Barbarian makes a lot of sense in late Shards survival. They are capable of attracting the aggro of ogres onto them and away from towers (possibly saving those towers from destruction and/or allowing another character to repair them without being interrupted by the ogre AoE) and surviving said aggro. Which is admittedly something that some other classes can do as well, but only barb can do it and not die from the first web.

Mel0d1c, the monk isn't great because of his hero damage.

Sure he can hit ranged safely and can hit for a lot with hero boost. But my seahorse in nightmare does 336k per hit while I do 41k per hit. The pet scaling on Monk is just too crazy.

Testing - my Monk has ranged Monk Wrench and Barbarian has duo Eternian Greatswords, both high end with Monk having 2950 and Barbarian having 3150 hero attack.

[Tavern] Testing with varies dummies

Monk unboosted: 5.5m
Monk boosted: 18.3m
Monk unboosted seahorse: 8.6m
Monk boosted seahorse: 28.5m

Barb no cat: ~18.3m (14.5-21.6m)
Barb with cat: ~34.6m (26.7-39.3m)

[Nightmare] Testing with Deeper Well dummies

Monk unboosted seahorse: 5.8m
Barb with cat: ~5.4m (4.1-6.1m)

I can't use Hero Boost in build phase, and the seahorse won't attack dummy in combat phase. But from the evidence above, with my Barb having 200 more hero attack, in NM things change and the Monk's pet scaling is superior. I can only imagine how much dps my Monk does boosted.

Analysis: Based on my stats, you can say that Monk and Barb have similar reliable constant dps in NM. When the going gets tough (like clearing 5 ogres), they have Hero Boost or Hawk Stance at their disposal. You can say the Monk's ranged fighting is safer, but Turtle Stance allows the Barbarian to be relatively safe as well, and even avoids being webbed. It's tough to compare with no towers in my opinion, since they both have their quirks. But with towers, Defense Boost takes the cake for me, so Monk is better.

Mel0d1c, the monk isn't great because of his hero damage.

Sure he can hit ranged safely and can hit for a lot with hero boost. But my seahorse in nightmare does 336k per hit while I do 41k per hit. The pet scaling on Monk is just too crazy.

Testing - my Monk has ranged Monk Wrench and Barbarian has duo Eternian Greatswords, both high end with Monk having 2950 and Barbarian having 3150 hero attack.

[Tavern] Testing with varies dummies

[Nightmare] Testing with Deeper Well dummies

Monk unboosted seahorse: 5.8m
Barb with cat: ~5.4m (4.1-6.1m)

I can't use Hero Boost in build phase, and the seahorse won't attack dummy in combat phase. But from the evidence above, with my Barb having 200 more hero attack, in NM things change and the Monk's pet scaling is superior. I can only imagine how much dps my Monk does boosted.

Analysis: Based on my stats, you can say that Monk and Barb have similar reliable constant dps in NM. When the going gets tough (like clearing 5 ogres), they have Hero Boost or Hawk Stance at their disposal. You can say the Monk's ranged fighting is safer, but Turtle Stance allows the Barbarian to be relatively safe as well, and even avoids being webbed. It's tough to compare with no towers in my opinion, since they both have their quirks. But with towers, Defense Boost takes the cake for me, so Monk is better.

http://i.imgur.com/i3lG5.jpg
^ That is my dps on an nm dummy.
So were in a whole different ball park when were talking a highly geared barb compared to a 3100 barb.
The seahorse doesn't even come close.

Not to mention you also have to factor in how much hp a highly geared barb will have compared to a monk.
When I said "endgame" and "highly geared" I don't think I was clear enough.
I'm talking about a full set of dps ult or extremely good sup.

There's no need to use hawk stance. I compared non-boosted monk to barb, which is fair enough.

It seems like you started this thread not wanting to get input from others, but shoot down reasons why monk is better than barb. If you've already convinced yourself that then, there's nothing we can say. All I know is that I kill more things and survive better on monk, so it's better. Speaking of seahorses mine isn't the best one either, so why don't you ask someone with 300 up seahorse to compare.

One final note is that while you may have a point for 4000+ stat barb, comparing those kinds of characters is a moot point since it applies to maybe 1% of the players who actually has a full set of sup/ult gear, probably way less. In general, monk > barb for people in myth/trans gear in NM like my stats show, without Hero Boost or Hawk Stance.

Because of Defense Boost, once again I'll take a monk for DPS over a barb same stats any day.

Barb w/ cat will beat monk w/ cat any day. In you want to compare endgame barb vs monk, you should equip the monk with an endgame ultimate dps pet and factor in hero boost on both the hero and pet. I don't know who wins in this case, but I think it's only fair if compared with both heroes optimally equipped.

There's no need to use hawk stance. I compared non-boosted monk to barb, which is fair enough.

It seems like you started this thread not wanting to get input from others, but shoot down reasons why monk is better than barb. If you've already convinced yourself that then, there's nothing we can say. All I know is that I kill more things and survive better on monk, so it's better. Speaking of seahorses mine isn't the best one either, so why don't you ask someone with 300 up seahorse to compare.

One final note is that while you may have a point for 4000+ stat barb, comparing those kinds of characters is a moot point since it applies to maybe 1% of the players who actually has a full set of sup/ult gear, probably way less. In general, monk > barb for people in myth/trans gear in NM like my stats show, without Hero Boost or Hawk Stance.

Because of Defense Boost, once again I'll take a monk for DPS over a barb same stats any day.

The point of this thread was to see if there was any valid input as to what would make an end game monk better than an end game barb.
It's not my problem that you felt the need to waste the strength in your fingers due to the fact that you misconstrued what I meant by end game.

I'm not even saying that the monk couldn't be AS good as the barb.
But from what I've seen he is definitely not the best/ultimate/most amazing/crazy awesome/super dps as people have claimed he is.

Of course it boils down to your gameplay style I will give you that point, and it is a rather small portion of the community I'm referring to.
But it is also only a small percent of the community whom I am asking for opinions from.

If I didn't believe in preference I would just say barb was the best character in the game with absolutely no valid points/testing as to why.

Played both classes to 90, ran the same ult dps gear on them with the same cat.
Used boost on monk, and hawk stance on barb.

Tavern dps: Barbarian wins
Nightmare dps: Barbarian wins
In game survivability: Factoring in hero boost on monk against turtle stance/siphon alternating with tornado stance on barb, Barbarian wins

As far as everything else goes it is personal preference.
If you like the monk playstyle play the monk he is a great class. Whether it be for dps or a hybrid.
If you like the barb play the barb.

Despite what some may think I'm not trying to force the barb down your throats.
I'm just trying to put some testing behind my results in the matter.

Edit: *Cough cough*

What was that about me not needing to use hawk stance? And you not using a boosted monk in comparison?

The only thing left to discuss is what is the best DPS pet a monk can use.

Seahorse almost without a doubt.
Potentially a Prop cat but I doubt it.
Other than that? To increase his survivability in a dps role? Probably a Monkey for decent damage/healing.

...if you already have all the answers then what do you want from us?

Yes trans seahorse is so far very good. Someone mentioned the possibility of ult pets, either ult seahorse (possible?) or other rare ult pets that I might not know about. There's no need for survivability since I don't have a problem doing that with monk because of his ranged nature and staying near defenses to boost them, effectively getting shielded.

...if you already have all the answers then what do you want from us?

Yes trans seahorse is so far very good. Someone mentioned the possibility of ult pets, either ult seahorse (possible?) or other rare ult pets that I might not know about. There's no need for survivability since I don't have a problem doing that with monk because of his ranged nature and staying near defenses to boost them, effectively getting shielded.

Seahorses only go up to trans, take an ult seahorse into the item check thread and they'd probably keel over laughing.
And I wanted opinions on the monk from other people with very well geared monks incase there was something I missed.

I'd already gone over it and researched I wouldn't open up a topic like this without doing so.
Otherwise I'd just get trampled on and it would be opinion versus opinion as opposed to practical tests against practical tests as intended.

Well you asked for my DPS numbers and I gave them for 3000 stats. Even though it wasn't relevant to your interests, I concluded that at trans gear level Monk is better with trans seahorse and hero boost (which many will probably care about). I just hope no one reading will reach an generalized conclusion that Barbarian > Monk for all stats at all levels.

(to other people who read this thread, not the OP)

I don't blame you at all for your posts, In fact I feel they do contribute to the thread nicely.

But this wasn't something that I put up for other people to read and take advice from. It was out of personal interest.
*in anti drug commercial voice* So kids, don't use a barb thinking he is magically better than a monk.