Huntress DPS Theorycrafting and Guide -- need community help as well!

The animus will just kill those for you if you miss, so you don't need to heal in the first place.
Not before they hit you at least once, unless you're on medium difficulty or something.

I rarely even use PS any more. My VW obliterates everything that isn't lightning immune, so I just hit PS once, or my animus takes care of it if I'm near the lane. I already conceded that a genie is useful for the first wave so that you can drop mana to fill DU faster.

I spam PS all over the map to kill as many mobs as possible, as it has much better range than VW.

Why are you taking so much damage that you need to be healing yourself? I rarely take more than a couple hundred damage a wave. Infinite mana was great when I was using a Dancing Cav and I actually had to spam PS constantly for an entire map. Now that I have a VW I have no need for it at all.

The most recent experiences I'm recounting are from Halloween Insane, where avoiding all damage isn't an option, and each player is covering two or three spawns, killing things as fast as possible and spam repairing. Your animus won't one-shot ninjas or ogres, and you don't have time to heal yourself.

I absolutely agree that on trivial maps and difficulties where you are seriously over-geared, an animus is almost certainly the right choice. But you have to state that assumption.

Anyways, pets are situational -- map, gear, tower setup and strategy, even specific wave. Saying one is "better in more situations" or "I use this most of the time" is fine, but saying "animus is better than fairy" is not correct.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone possibly time something less than or around a second? So much human error/reflex involved, even if using a stopwatch o_0

(I'm gonna go with a Genie for now. Couldn't you always just funnel the mana gained from it at the end of a wave, since you'd make it back anyway? Genie seems more useful for farming mana)

Actually, shooting Piercing Shot for a minute straight with a stopwatch was a great way to test to test the cooldown. You don't need to time ONE cooldown, you need to time many and divide by the number of shots, which enormously removes the human reflex error. As noted by PessimiStick, it's noticeable enough to feel, without the use of calculations, if you had gotten used to spamming it.

Yes, you can "funnel" or bank the mana the genie makes you, but it's a pretty trivial amount -- I've always just focused on whichever pet makes the level the easiest, rather than the minor increase in cash.

Not before they hit you at least once, unless you're on medium difficulty or something.
I farmed 5 Animii last night and I think I got hit by a ninja maybe... twice?

[quote]I spam PS all over the map to kill as many mobs as possible, as it has much better range than VW.[/quote]I could do that too if I felt it was necessary, but I'm generally controlling a specific part of the map (since other people have the rest handled), so I don't feel compelled to fire random hawks everywhere.

[quote]The most recent experiences I'm recounting are from Halloween Insane, where avoiding all damage isn't an option, and each player is covering two or three spawns, killing things as fast as possible and spam repairing. Your animus won't one-shot ninjas or ogres, and you don't have time to heal yourself.[/quote]I very rarely repair since I'm a Huntress and not an Apprentice. The only place I find mildly obnoxious on Halloween is the middle crystal's south sky bridge, but you can still kill most of those ninjas without taking any damage if you're aware.

[quote]Anyways, pets are situational -- map, gear, tower setup and strategy, even specific wave. Saying one is "better in more situations" or "I use this most of the time" is fine, but saying "animus is better than fairy" is not correct.[/QUOTE]He asked for the "best" pet. There's an implication there that if I were to choose a single pet, what would it be? The answer is an Animus.

I farmed 5 Animii last night and I think I got hit by a ninja maybe... twice?
Which isn't Halloween insane.

I could do that too if I felt it was necessary, but I'm generally controlling a specific part of the map (since other people have the rest handled), so I don't feel compelled to fire random hawks everywhere.

I very rarely repair since I'm a Huntress and not an Apprentice. The only place I find mildly obnoxious on Halloween is the middle crystal's south sky bridge, but you can still kill most of those ninjas without taking any damage if you're aware.
Our experience with Halloween Insane was that more PS all over the place is a cleaner wave. And unfortunately our Apprentice couldn't repair everything on the map at once, so I'm shooting PS everywhere, and juggling repairs, and getting jumped on by Dark Elves, and a fairy definitely seemed like the right call.

He asked for the "best" pet. There's an implication there that if I were to choose a single pet, what would it be? The answer is an Animus.
A more robust answer would have been "it depends on what you're doing, I think most of the time the benefits of the DPS from an animus outweighs the more situational uses of the other pets" rather than "animus, by far" which can be pretty misinforming.

A more robust answer would have been "it depends on what you're doing, I think most of the time the benefits of the DPS from an animus outweighs the more situational uses of the other pets" rather than "animus, by far" which can be pretty misinforming.
I mean, outside of a Genie for the first wave (which is just a "nice to have", and I'm usually too lazy to swap), and a fairy for Monster Fest, I literally only use the Animus. "By far" is a very accurate description for my personal use.

I mean, outside of a Genie for the first wave (which is just a "nice to have", and I'm usually too lazy to swap), and a fairy for Monster Fest, I literally only use the Animus. "By far" is a very accurate description for my personal use.
Well now people that read the entire thread will have some good perspectives to work from. Most of the time the Animus' DPS / rate of fire is pretty beast.

Update for the 1st post.
Ray Guns (Looks like a cone on the end with a LCD screen) Those are AOE blasts.

Are you referring to what I've called "Crystal Tracker / EMP guns" ?

Heh, I guess so? But yea, personally, I didnt know thats what those are when I read your thread. Which is why I PMed you. =) Can you add lil more detail on that in the 1st post? =)

Another thing that may help this thread, pictures of the said weapons. =)

Heh, I guess so? But yea, personally, I didnt know thats what those are when I read your thread. Which is why I PMed you. =) Can you add lil more detail on that in the 1st post? =)

Another thing that may help this thread, pictures of the said weapons. =)

Sure, additional detail added in the first post.

That's a good idea about including pictures -- I'll put it on my list of things to do.

If your gun attacks really fast is it possible that your bullets "double tap" and end up over-overkilling a mob?

Example: You shoot 2 bullet at 10shot/sec, hitting a 2k hp mob for 3k each hit. Could both bullets hit the target? Or would the second bullet just go through and kill something else?

Would it be the same for VW's extra shots? Since they are fired simultaneously, but if one of the projectiles is enough to 1shot, would the other 4 be wasted or just go on to hit other targets?

If your gun attacks really fast is it possible that your bullets "double tap" and end up over-overkilling a mob?

Example: You shoot 2 bullet at 10shot/sec, hitting a 2k hp mob for 3k each hit. Could both bullets hit the target? Or would the second bullet just go through and kill something else?

Would it be the same for VW's extra shots? Since they are fired simultaneously, but if one of the projectiles is enough to 1shot, would the other 4 be wasted or just go on to hit other targets?
VW bullets will hit targets behind the primary if it dies.

VW bullets will hit targets behind the primary if it dies.

So I don't have to worry about really fast bullets, like the Blasticus, not hitting mobs?

So I don't have to worry about really fast bullets, like the Blasticus, not hitting mobs?

Not in my experience, you don't have to worry.

Fairly simple to test, find a line of monsters that you're sure would all be one-shotted by a Blasticus, shoot X bullets as fast as possible, see how many mobs you kill.

Van Wolf also seems to have psuedo-pierce: if one of the 5 projectiles kills a mob, the other 4 travel on. At first I thought it simply pierced all monsters, but now I don't believe that is the case.

Something I would love to focus on for the 1st thread is a section for "Trap Huntress vs DPS Huntress" There is a difference and unlike Squire.. trying to find a balance, doesnt work well for the Huntress. I know personally I play as a Trap huntress. I play with friends on IRC, So we all have our role to support each other. Plus.. to me.. a DPS Huntress, While AWESOME.. doesnt help if you wanna play the tower/trap mode only of survival. Heh.

But some good skill planning notes to which each should use is a good idea.

Something I would love to focus on for the 1st thread is a section for "Trap Huntress vs DPS Huntress" There is a difference and unlike Squire.. trying to find a balance, doesnt work well for the Huntress. I know personally I play as a Trap huntress. I play with friends on IRC, So we all have our role to support each other. Plus.. to me.. a DPS Huntress, While AWESOME.. doesnt help if you wanna play the tower/trap mode only of survival. Heh.

But some good skill planning notes to which each should use is a good idea.

The OP is currently very focused on DPS Huntresses alone -- weapon types, weapon stats, personal DPS stats.

I might consider making a Trap Huntress guide, but putting trap stuff into this OP would just make things dilute, I feel.

Maybe, or least a Paragraph defining the differences in style of play and you can always say Guides will be linked "x" in that. But a quick grasp of the difference would be helpful, or even tie in with this one. As a DPS Huntress, how much max should you put in your trap skills.

Maybe, or least a Paragraph defining the differences in style of play and you can always say Guides will be linked "x" in that. But a quick grasp of the difference would be helpful, or even tie in with this one. As a DPS Huntress, how much max should you put in your trap skills.
Nothing. You're DPS, lol.

Nothing. You're DPS, lol.

Pretty much -- the point is for you to either use your DU on an alt and play the wave with the DPS Hunt, or have the rest of your team use the DU, and you just provide your own personal/boss DPS.

In a nutshell, trap huntresses should focus on (in this order) trap health / trap damage > trap refresh rate / trap radius, then hero cast speed / hero speed. Keeping an even stat spread early (pre-level 40) will help have better area coverage. Still having a nice weapon is obviously a bonus (if you're going to play the trap hunt during the wave), as you won't be laying traps or repairing 100% of the time.

As far as I know, all the Invis Skill does is lower the ramp up mana consumption over long periods of invis -- near useless imo.

Later on, dealing with Dark Elf warrior/ninjas, having health and armor resist can be very helpful.

Traps, in order of general effectiveness (obviously this statement is opinionated and subject to different situations):
Proximity Mine
Inferno Trap (combine with gas traps or ensnare aura for true effectiveness)
Gas Trap
Ethereal Spike (only for some heavy single-target dmg, ogres/bosses/ninjas/wyverns)
Shadow Trap (near worthless, honestly the only time i use it is to quickly cap my DU out for a master builder award -- what a waste)

Stacking two traps of the same type near to each other (such that the detonating area of one trap reaches the trigger area of the 2nd) will set off a chain reaction, which can be situationally useful.

My typical trap chain is something like an Inferno near a spawn point (to help clear out fluff mobs), with a Proxy staggered a little behind it, and then just a line of Proxies just out of range of each other leading toward the nearest crystal, far enough apart so the proxies don't chain detonate. This is the highest DPS / DU, and you'll have to manually deal with ogres/wyverns, or possibly set up ESs, but I seriously dislike ESs. I also don't use gas traps super often.

A very neat synergy is to set up Monk ensnare auras (also extremely cheap DU) and then place proxies so the the edge of the proxy's detonation reaches the edge of the aura -- mobs will clump up super effectively and the proxies will do huge AOE damage.

Obviously, trap synergy with any type of wall goes without saying -- walls and wyvern/ogre killing are the only thing the huntress is really missing -- she has to handle that stuff manually.

Be warned that proxies run out of charges pretty quickly, especially if you have reasonable tower attack speed (though I still think it's a stat worth getting a fair amount in).

So whats the consensus for upgrading armor?

For the most part? From what "I" have read and seen. 1st off if you are playing Squire, ok, you need def. But being huntress and other types.. "Why" are you getting hit? Since you SHOULDNT be. You power up the skills that help your style of play. However, getting the armor set then upgrading would be good since otherwise its wasted mana on a armor you will replace anyways. I personally also say stay away from anything with negative stats.

As far as I know, all the Invis Skill does is lower the ramp up mana consumption over long periods of invis -- near useless imo.

Yea it is fairly useless. Hell I dont even buff up the P.Shot. I let my gear do that for me, works out well. Invis is a great skill tho to repair and so.

As for the DPS thing, Now it makes sense to me... ppl use the huntress to do the wave after they used DU with alts.. Since Day 1. Ive been playing with friends, So I made a trap huntress, lil bit of balance among all things. One vital trap I have seen a great use for, is the Darkness trap, put that on a bouncer or slice and dice and it basically stays alive without taking damage. On the Halloween DLC on Hard. Had a Bouncer, Ensnare, TNT and Darkness... and the whole time, we never checked on it or repaired. Was nice combo. Since darkness makes them lose target, bouncer pushed back, tnt blew, rinse and repeat.

Got my VW last night, Yay! Tho wonder if its worth it enough to upgrade it.. started with 40 or 50 dmg and only 4 shots.

as far as armor for a DPS huntress: Find armor with a good base in hero attack and piercing strike (with all four hero stats present) and then buff hero attack becase it affects the damage of your weapon, pierce and you're animus.

Ok could it maybe be added to the OP, What VW stats are vital or minimum to consider "upgrading"? Got mine last night on Hard, Had 4 Projectiles, 40 or 50 base dmg to start with. I had seen a post SOMEWHERE around saying whats good stats to go with. I can get multiple VWs when I beat the DLC on Hard right? Just dont wanna waste mana on something that wont do me any good.

For the most part? From what "I" have read and seen. 1st off if you are playing Squire, ok, you need def. But being huntress and other types.. "Why" are you getting hit? Since you SHOULDNT be. You power up the skills that help your style of play. However, getting the armor set then upgrading would be good since otherwise its wasted mana on a armor you will replace anyways. I personally also say stay away from anything with negative stats.
People rarely get hit on purpose, that's not to say they won't be hit! Since the game has diminishing returns, stacking attack damage like that decreases the returns on investment eventually. Effective DPS also depends on %uptime and one's armor has a direct relationship to one's %uptime so I don't think it's wise to ignore upgrading defense stats.

May never be the "Wisest" but I think between DPS skill buffs and HP buffs... that too can do alot. Least for a huntress. I mean we are fighting in the distance. Mow anything close to you and pick everything else off in the distance.