Huntress DPS Theorycrafting and Guide -- need community help as well!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the cost of weapon upgrades predictable; is the formula known? The I could add the calculation of total upgrade cost to my App, based on the cost of the first upgrade.

After the first few upgrades it stabalizes around 150k-250k per upgrade from what I've noticed... Might be wrong.

Question for the DPS huntresses who use a genie: is it worthwhile to upgrade the genie's mana gain stat or should I just pump the hero attack stat of the genie ? It seems that my genie, at base 180, has a very nice mana rate such that I can spam pshot

Question for the DPS huntresses who use a genie: is it worthwhile to upgrade the genie's mana gain stat or should I just pump the hero attack stat of the genie ? It seems that my genie, at base 180, has a very nice mana rate such that I can spam pshot

Genie pets do not attack. The "Base Attack" IS the mana return. 180 should essentially be infinite mana -- my genie of 188 certainly needs no upgrading for me to never worry about mana.

i'm trying to figure out the formula based on this dancing cav I upgraded 10 levels now. Gimme some time.

Man, wish I hadn't upgraded my 200+ genie then. His question was about upgrading the HERO attack stat on the genie though. Also, in the OP it asks if a speed 4 weapon is twice as fast as a speed 2 of the same type. From my testing with a couple bows, that number is just straight shots per second. Dividing my DPS by the amount of dmg each hit does to the dummy always gave me exactly the weapon speed.

Here is info from a bone bow I upgraded:

= 258.19x2 + 5469.2x - 3808.8
R^2 = .9999
Where X is the current level of the weapon (i.e. 1st upgrade x=1 and costs 3017)

This probably relates back to original sell price of the weapon, which in this case was (I think) 20k even. This formula seems awfully strange though.

So is a Genie the best pet for a Pure DPS Huntress, or an Animus?

(I've seen some weird increases in upgrade costs on lower cost items. First upgrade 500mana, second upgrade 10k mana o_0)
So I think there's a certain threshold it has to reach, and then continues from there.

Also, you missed the Dragon pet that shoots ranged projectiles that explode, and the Giraffe on a Treadmill which only gives stats (min is about +20 to each stat, with 35 upgrades).

Well then, thanks for answering the genie question. As Entropy pointed out, I was referring to upgrading the Hero attack stat on the genie, not the genie's base attack.

Upgrading Projectile Speed increases it by +250 if the weapon already has ~500 Projectile Speed. (What about less?)

As for the less part, from my EXP in upgrading, it adds +100 per upgrade.

Here is info from a bone bow I upgraded:

= 258.19x2 + 5469.2x - 3808.8
R^2 = .9999
Where X is the current level of the weapon (i.e. 1st upgrade x=1 and costs 3017)

This probably relates back to original sell price of the weapon, which in this case was (I think) 20k even. This formula seems awfully strange though.

I didn't even think about original sell price or even sell price for each level of upgrade if that was a factor. I think it would be a % of the current sell price that each successive upgrade would cost. Thats a guess at this point though.

Our current understanding is that you are given the chance to upgrade weapon Attack Speed every 5ish levels, starting with the upgrade from level 3 -> 4, again at 8 -> 9, etc. If you miss the opportunity to upgrade Attack Speed, you'll need to wait until 5 upgrades later. You won't be allowed to upgrade Attack Speed if the weapon is already at its cap, i.e. Blasticus has an Attack Speed cap of 10.

If you experience something different, by all means let me know.

I confirmed this tonight with my von wolfstein. I missed the chance to upgrade additional projectiles because I clicked too quickly at lvl 4 and wasn't able to upgrade on the next investment. I wasn't able to upgrade additional projectiles until the next normally allowable time.

expensive mistake but there it is :|

I confirmed this tonight with my von wolfstein. I missed the chance to upgrade additional projectiles because I clicked too quickly at lvl 4 and wasn't able to upgrade on the next investment. I wasn't able to upgrade additional projectiles until the next normally allowable time.

expensive mistake but there it is :|

Thanks for confirmation.

Animus by far.

Situational, as always. If you're in no worry of dying or running out of mana, Animus is the best DPS option out there, being able to provide over 20k DPS. I am curious about the dragon pet mentioned by EntropyBall that deals splash damage.

A genie will free you of any mana concerns (ESPECIALLY considering the recent nerf to Piercing Shot's cooldown, mana has never been harder to run out of).

A fairy (which I've actually been running with most of the time recently) will make you all but invincible, given you have some health and some reasonable armor.

Upgrading Projectile Speed increases it by +250 if the weapon already has ~500 Projectile Speed. (What about less?)

As for the less part, from my EXP in upgrading, it adds +100 per upgrade.

I'm curious about additional details -- so far the options of it adding +100 or +250 Projectile Speed, with no in-between values seems unlikely, given the trend of how every other stat upgrades. I wonder if it's like minimum of +100, but +50% if higher if that would be more than +100, but max of +250.

Situational, as always. If you're in no worry of dying or running out of mana, Animus is the best DPS option out there, being able to provide over 20k DPS. I am curious about the dragon pet mentioned by EntropyBall that deals splash damage.

A genie will free you of any mana concerns (ESPECIALLY considering the recent nerf to Piercing Shot's cooldown, mana has never been harder to run out of).

A fairy (which I've actually been running with most of the time recently) will make you all but invincible, given you have some health and some reasonable armor.
It's nowhere near as situational as you're making it. Genies are useful for the first wave sometimes, so you can generate enough mana to max DU. Fairies are highly situational, but can be useful for things like Monster Fest. Animii are pretty much better for everything else, by a wide margin.

ESPECIALLY considering the recent nerf to Piercing Shot's cooldown

? Isn't it still 1second cooldown? o_0

It's closer to 1 second now. It was less previously. I've never stopwatch'd it, but it got something like a 50% CD nerf when they dropped the damage.

It is approximately 1 second CD now, used to be ~0.78 seconds. Pretty rough ninja nerf.

It's nowhere near as situational as you're making it. Genies are useful for the first wave sometimes, so you can generate enough mana to max DU. Fairies are highly situational, but can be useful for things like Monster Fest. Animii are pretty much better for everything else, by a wide margin.

It's certainly much more situational than you're making it. Fairies aren't only useful on Monster Fest, they're useful against all manner of Dark Elf ninjas, especially dependent on your health and quality of armor.

If you aren't killing mobs quickly enough or can't run into piles of dead mobs' mana, you will suffer mana problems, and the genie will be helpful. Or if you happen to die and lose your mana, you can shoot one mob and resume Piercing Shot spam.

I don't know what assumptions you're making, but just saying that Animus is always the right move is pretty assuming. In my case, it's an extra 25% DPS (IF all three shots are hitting enemies, and animi have pretty short range, and often shoot stupid targets) instead of fairy heals (which save time/mana from healing yourself, and a fairy will also heal nearby teammates) or a genie's infinite mana (and the ability to spam drop 1000s of mana to your teammates if they need it).

It's certainly much more situational than you're making it. Fairies aren't only useful on Monster Fest, they're useful against all manner of Dark Elf ninjas, especially dependent on your health and quality of armor.
The animus will just kill those for you if you miss, so you don't need to heal in the first place.

[quote]If you aren't killing mobs quickly enough or can't run into piles of dead mobs' mana, you will suffer mana problems, and the genie will be helpful. Or if you happen to die and lose your mana, you can shoot one mob and resume Piercing Shot spam.[/quote]I rarely even use PS any more. My VW obliterates everything that isn't lightning immune, so I just hit PS once, or my animus takes care of it if I'm near the lane. I already conceded that a genie is useful for the first wave so that you can drop mana to fill DU faster.

[quote]I don't know what assumptions you're making, but just saying that Animus is always the right move is pretty assuming. In my case, it's an extra 25% DPS (IF all three shots are hitting enemies, and animi have pretty short range, and often shoot stupid targets) instead of fairy heals (which save time/mana from healing yourself, and a fairy will also heal nearby teammates) or a genie's infinite mana (and the ability to spam drop 1000s of mana to your teammates if they need it).[/QUOTE]Why are you taking so much damage that you need to be healing yourself? I rarely take more than a couple hundred damage a wave. Infinite mana was great when I was using a Dancing Cav and I actually had to spam PS constantly for an entire map. Now that I have a VW I have no need for it at all.

How can anyone possibly time something less than or around a second? So much human error/reflex involved, even if using a stopwatch o_0

(I'm gonna go with a Genie for now. Couldn't you always just funnel the mana gained from it at the end of a wave, since you'd make it back anyway? Genie seems more useful for farming mana)

How can anyone possibly time something less than or around a second? So much human error/reflex involved, even if using a stopwatch o_0
If you were spamming piercing shot before and after the patch, it's pretty easy to tell the difference.