Huntress DPS Theorycrafting and Guide -- need community help as well!

Do you have any feeling for how much weight Projectile Speed might count for? Say I can build 2 Bonies right now, and the one with the better damage (call it 600) has projectile speed +10, while the lesser damage (call it 500) has projectile speed 575.

Edit: I'm actually thinking it counts for almost nothing.

It is primarily an accuracy helper. Obviously if your projectile is very fast traveling, you'll know immediately that you killed the monster when your crosshairs are on it. Slow projectiles can be dodged more often. Projectile speed is especially handy when shooting wyverns (who often change direction) and with grenade launchers to increase their overall range -- note Assault challenge, where grenade launchers of sufficient (750+ projectile speed) can break crystals without getting in to the thick of things.

Question: does projectile speed increase the total range of ANY weapon type?

EDIT: adding section on projectile speed, thanks to your question

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any feeling for how much weight Projectile Speed might count for? Say I can build 2 Bonies right now, and the one with the better damage (call it 600) has projectile speed +10, while the lesser damage (call it 500) has projectile speed 575.

Edit: I'm actually thinking it counts for almost nothing.

High Projectile Speed makes leading your shots easier, if you like to snipe enemies such as wyverns from far away. I guess it's a matter of preference. Also, on some maps, high Projectile Speed helps a lot due to special limitations - assault challenge, for example.

Each projectile speed upgrade adds +100, AFAIK. I'd say it's not worth upgrading unless you are building a special weapon for assault.

High Projectile Speed makes leading your shots easier, if you like to snipe enemies such as wyverns from far away. I guess it's a matter of preference. Also, on some maps, high Projectile Speed helps a lot due to special limitations - assault challenge, for example.

Each projectile speed upgrade adds +100, AFAIK. I'd say it's not worth upgrading unless you are building a special weapon for assault.

Looks like I beat you to the punch. Also, I've upgraded projectile range from 500ish to 750 ish once, so it is not always +100, though I am missing specific details on the mechanism.

Some info on pets:

Most pets seem to have 50-200 base damage range and up to 5 shots/second.
I think pet damage/heal upgrades are based on the same 15%/80 rule.

Guardians buff ONLY ONE defense! Always the one nearest to you. Different class guardians buff different tower stat. You can get one for free by completing the summit on any difficulty.

Animii also have similar damage range afaik and their damage scales from your hero damage. They are THE choice if you want a damage pet. Good fully upgraded animus can dish out damage similar to your own weapon DPS. You can get one for free by completing the summit on insane.

Fairies have stats in the usual (50-200hp up to 5 times a second) range. They are great for things like insane monster fest. Coincidentally, you can get one for free by completing monster fest (insane only?).
Then there are also some tower repping pets (they look like demons).

You can get free pets by completing survival wave 14 on any difficulty:
the deeper well - gryphon
forges & foundries - barrel roll robot
magus quarters - chinese dragon
alchemy lab - ranged robot
servants quarters - hamster
castle armory - tiger
hall of court - genie
TTR - ranged robot
royal gardens - fairy
ramparts - hawk
endless spires - imp
summit - dragon
glitterhelm - hamster

And then there are the steam preorder TF2 pets...

It is primarily an accuracy helper. Obviously if your projectile is very fast traveling, you'll know immediately that you killed the monster when your crosshairs are on it. Slow projectiles can be dodged more often. Projectile speed is especially handy when shooting wyverns (who often change direction) and with grenade launchers to increase their overall range -- note Assault challenge, where grenade launchers of sufficient (750+ projectile speed) can break crystals without getting in to the thick of things.

Question: does projectile speed increase the total range of ANY weapon type?

EDIT: adding section on projectile speed, thanks to your question

Projectile Speed boosts the range of the Grenade Launcher type, such as the Dancing Cavalier.

As to pets, they can go above 5 shots per second, but until they fix it all pets are locked at 1 shot per second in actuality. I have a dragon with 6 shots, and am in the process of leveling it up. 700 damage and 17 more levels to go!

Projectile Speed boosts the range of the Grenade Launcher type, such as the Dancing Cavalier.

What about other weapon types? I already said that in the paragraph of mine that you quoted.

All it does for other guns is boost accuracy through your shot being faster. No range increase.
What about other weapon types? I already said that in the paragraph of mine that you quoted.

Any word on how useful the Genie pet is and does it allow for sustained PS spam? If anyone knows the formula for figuring how much mana it would return based on its stats, that would be great to know for evaluating them.

I find that the shots per second is more like shots per 4 seconds. With a hawk pet, anyway.

After spamming repairs on the halloween level and getting jumped constantly by dark elves, I'm trying out a tiger pet. He seems to attack much faster, and knocks stuff back, and is melee, so he won't be constantly attacking things that aren't actually near me.

Any word on how useful the Genie pet is and does it allow for sustained PS spam? If anyone knows the formula for figuring how much mana it would return based on its stats, that would be great to know for evaluating them.

It's in my post -- my genie has 188 base "damage", and he gives me 70 mana every time I successfully deal damage with my weapon or Piercing Shot, on a 2.5ish seconds cooldown. It most certainly allows for sustained Piercing Shot, my mana rarely drops below 1100 when I'm using the genie. On a scale of 1-10 for usefulness, it almost gets an 11.

Situationally I prefer a faerie, I played around with a Huntress Animus to see the DPS (good but not great) and I use my genie 95% of the time.

It's in my post -- my genie has 188 base "damage", and he gives me 70 mana every time I successfully deal damage with my weapon or Piercing Shot, on a 2.5ish seconds cooldown. It most certainly allows for sustained Piercing Shot, my mana rarely drops below 1100 when I'm using the genie. On a scale of 1-10 for usefulness, it almost gets an 11.

Situationally I prefer a faerie, I played around with a Huntress Animus to see the DPS (good but not great) and I use my genie 95% of the time.

First I'd like to say that this thread's content is extremely useful and informative, a mod should sticky this.

I agree with Mang when he says that pets are very situational. For challenges like Monsterfest, you'd want to use a fairy because you'll get crushed by ninja's otherwise and mana is abundant. While other challenges like Zippy Terror, you desperately need the mana for PS spam or else you will lose.

All it does for other guns is boost accuracy through your shot being faster. No range increase.

This makes it useless on Xbox version then, imo. The 360 Huntress has auto-aim, meaning she will very rapidly turn and face the nearest high priority target (Orges > Wyverns > Dark Elves > Necros > the rest, seems to be the order of prio). And she never misses due to shot lag because of this. It is actually very reliable. For example, you can just stand in a fixed place and hold fire if you want and she will automatically rotate on the spot and nail the nearest target. Or you can swivel the camera round to the general direction you want her to focus on and she'll do that.

OK I am only level 63 and have not dabbled with Insane much yet past Alchemical Lab, however....right now when I spam Piercing Shot, my mana pretty much stays at max anyway, there are simply so many crystals coming of the dead enemies that I can't actually fire Piercing Shot fast enough to use it up. In what way will this situation change that I need a Genie? Mobs not dying fast enough?

This makes it useless on Xbox version then, imo. The 360 Huntress has auto-aim, meaning she will very rapidly turn and face the nearest high priority target (Orges > Wyverns > Dark Elves > Necros > the rest, seems to be the order of prio). And she never misses due to shot lag because of this. It is actually very reliable. For example, you can just stand in a fixed place and hold fire if you want and she will automatically rotate on the spot and nail the nearest target. Or you can swivel the camera round to the general direction you want her to focus on and she'll do that.

Sounds pretty boring, unfortunately. Projectile speed would still help you in Assault challenge on Insane if you use a grenade launcher strat, I assume.

OK I am only level 63 and have not dabbled with Insane much yet past Alchemical Lab, however....right now when I spam Piercing Shot, my mana pretty much stays at max anyway, there are simply so many crystals coming of the dead enemies that I can't actually fire Piercing Shot fast enough to use it up. In what way will this situation change that I need a Genie? Mobs not dying fast enough?

Yes, if the mobs don't die fast enough, you would certainly be in quite the predicament.

There are definitely cases where there is too much mana to go around -- if you'd rather have additional DPS, or a pet that heals you, upgrades traps, repairs things, then just use a different pet. I highly suggest a fairy on Monster Fest, as there are certainly enough mana crystals to go around (because you have to kill several monsters a second to beat a wave).

However, there are definitely circumstances where mana is not abundant enough to spam Piercing Shot. A good genie means you can completely forget about mana and simply not worry about picking up mana crystals on the ground. You can even shoot mobs as a trap Huntress just to get more mana to trap more, or as a DPS Huntress you can dump your mana on the ground for people building towers, as the genie is creating additional mana out of nothing. Don't undervalue its ridiculously excellent utility.

Have bone bows been nerfed recently to only pierce through one monster? If so, then a bone bow's dps is at most 2x it's practice-dummy DPS (because it will only hit two monsters).

I have a Lvl 63 Huntress on Open and a Lvl 56 Huntress on ranked, both Huntresses have bone bows. My Huntress on Open found her bone bow a long time ago, and it will pierce through entire waves. My Huntress on ranked found her bone bow during Halloween weekend, and her shots will only ever hit two monsters.

So it seems like new bone bow drops might be nerfed? Alternatively, there may be more than one type of bone bow.

I just recently made a Hero Huntress to go with my Tower Squire, and I'm wondering whats a good easy weapon I can get that I can start upgrading to max?

I have a Bone Bow but its damage/upgrades are kind of low... its 45/6/84 with 22 upgrades. Should I upgrade that? Or try to get something else? It took me all day doing Ramparts Hard to find that Bone Bow... everything else was garbage...

Are Lava Beetle Exterminators/Dancing Cavalier any good? I want a decent weapon with good dps (and useful for killing mobs), but most importantly I want my Piercing Shots to 1 shot waves.

I just recently made a Hero Huntress to go with my Tower Squire, and I'm wondering whats a good easy weapon I can get that I can start upgrading to max?

I have a Bone Bow but its damage/upgrades are kind of low... its 45/6/84 with 22 upgrades. Should I upgrade that? Or try to get something else? It took me all day doing Ramparts Hard to find that Bone Bow... everything else was garbage...

Are Lava Beetle Exterminators/Dancing Cavalier any good? I want a decent weapon with good dps (and useful for killing mobs), but most importantly I want my Piercing Shots to 1 shot waves.

The thread is about theorycrafting and game mechanics, and this is not particularly on topic.

Your Piercing Shot will one shot waves if your Hero Attack skill, Piercing Shot skill, and Weapon DMG are high enough. Dancing Cavaliers have a tendency to start with high base damage, being a grenade launcher -- they are also very viable to upgrade to solo Assault Insane, which can get you a Blasticus.

Good luck!
-Mang

Hmm, I was testing around at the end of a Glitterhelm run, since they already hit my crystal and said screw it to the multiplier loss. It appears that Bone Bows only pierce 1 mob now, like people have been figuring out lately. I dunno when they ninja changed it, but it was changed at one point, and is now less of a powerhouse.

It's still one of the best weapons before you find an M16 styled gun (since they can show up in the shop, and aren't all Blasticus specifically), or are able to obtain a Sicarius from Insane Halloween Spooktactular challenge, since it still has a large clip, usually has reload speed, pretty high good base damage, and still pierces one mob, which essentially doubles DPS. Though I'm curious if one of the X-Ray guns can get high enough base stats to compete with a Bone Bow. Maybe I should test by doing a lot of Lava Beetle farming.

So i tried to use excel to calculate what I'll be getting for grading a weapon and it just doesn't seem to wanna add up.

So i have a have a weapon that had 43 base damage at lvl 1. At lvl 10 it came out to be 145, but excel is showing me 143 with what i assumed was being rounded down. So i changed to to have everything rounded normally but i get 150 instead. Returning it to rounding down, i decide to change the lvl base damage from 43 to 44 and i end up getting 147.

For now i will continue to round down for now since its better to hit higher then calculated, but it would be nice to always be on spot.

Can anyone help?

So i tried to use excel to calculate what I'll be getting for grading a weapon and it just doesn't seem to wanna add up.

So i have a have a weapon that had 43 base damage at lvl 1. At lvl 10 it came out to be 145, but excel is showing me 143 with what i assumed was being rounded down. So i changed to to have everything rounded normally but i get 150 instead. Returning it to rounding down, i decide to change the lvl base damage from 43 to 44 and i end up getting 147.

For now i will continue to round down for now since its better to hit higher then calculated, but it would be nice to always be on spot.

Can anyone help?

Try not rounding, and keeping many decimal places. Increase by 15% of previous, unless 15% of previous is greater than 80, in which case increase by a flat 80.

I make no guarantees to this being perfectly accurate, but the game seems to round down, while secretly keeping the decimals. Beats me.

Good luck,
Mang

Yeah tried that too, but that gives a slightly higher value then rounding normally. oh well i guess what i get is good enough.

Great Info BTW... Why isn't the stickied yet?

Van Wolfenstein only upgrades max 40 dmg at a time, curious if this is just this bow or all bows after patch.

How do you feel about this post patch? My animus sustains over 20k dps on the dummy with the buff now and I'm just curious how you feel about it. I think the Genie still has his place but personally I'll be using the Animus in most situations now.

Van Wolfenstein only upgrades max 40 dmg at a time, curious if this is just this bow or all bows after patch.

Yup, that was the nerf. They said "approximately 40%" but they really just cut the base damage upgrade max in half.

How do you feel about this post patch? My animus sustains over 20k dps on the dummy with the buff now and I'm just curious how you feel about it. I think the Genie still has his place but personally I'll be using the Animus in most situations now.

My animus does as well, attacks perhaps 3 times as fast as it used to. I do about 70k personal sustained DPS, and it adds about 21k -- 30% more DPS is nothing to scoff at.

Still situational IMO, but if you're focused on a boss burn and you're stocked on mana, there's no question.