Sign in to follow this  
nhiser

DPS Monk question

I have a lvl 90 monk using an STS, each shot on NM hit around 100k which is good enough but I need to switch to a weapon multiple projectiles that of course go through the air. Are there any weapons that will allow my shots to hit anywhere that of an STS? I have tried a polearm with about 41K base damage and on nightmare the shots only hit around 23k which drasticAlly cuts my DPS. Would a monk wrench be able to maintain my DPS with an STS better?

What's the base ranged damage on that StS? My polearm ATM hits about 23k a hit, but when fully upped it will be around 32k a hit. I get more dps right now on my 37k Base Range Damage Polearm than on my StS which has 52k Base Range Damage.

Well, you see... STS only have a single projectile and very high top end damage, thus making the single projectile hit...like a rock!!

In terms of overall DPS output, you could find a Wrench that fullfills your desires of straight flying projectiles, but the individual beams will hit for less then the STS rock throw.

The gain in DPS for Wrench comes from the many projectiles it shoots, thus multiplying the normally lower Ranged Damage, achieving a higher net total then the single STS one

Myself had only a few problems with STS to hit flying mobs, but thats mainly because I run cat instead of a DPS pet, which helps a lot to mitigate that.

To finish Im currently using a Wrench but simply because its overall more DPS then my old STS; If I manage to grab a better STS or Wrench Ill use whatever wields higher DPS.

Well the idea of multiple projectiles is supposed to be less damage/projectile but more damage up close.(this idea is very noticable on the hunt not so much on the monk). a good monk wrench or gamblers thingy should give you the dps you are looking for. but your 23k might be less then 100k but 23*5>100. Ya I know the ball ounces but...

It's all preference. My brother has a 56k Base Damage StS and uses his seahorse to dispatch flying enemies. I like my polearm because of the range, but also when all 6 projectiles hit that's easily over 100k a shot. When I want to smoke down an Ogre, I put Hero Boost on, run circles around him and waste him down. My seahorse is also doing work too. Just remember at close range the polearm has 6 projectiles hitting. Mid range the sts has more consistent dps howeverI like the long range ability that the polearm possesses.

***********************EDIT ADDED QUESTION*********************************
What's the top end damage for a good Monk Wrench? Like an ult Wrench. I am curious how well my 360^ ult polearm compares.

Thanks.