Sign in to follow this  
MrPowell82

Ranked.... that's a bummber

Hi community,

I am a recent convert from console to PC Dungeon Defenders. I've been playing local for a while to level up some characters and work on getting some gear. I thought now would be a good time to jump into some multiplayer.

That's when the grim reality of "Ranked" hit me. I had no idea that ranked used online only characters and equipment! Blurg.

Just thought I would share my lesson learned with all the peeps on the forums. Looks like I will be rocking some Campaign Mode on Medium tonight....

BTW if anyone is looking for a solid, respectable player to join their team for some multiplayer, let me know. I'm looking forward to playing online and not getting kicked out of every game because I am not using hacked gear/weapons (yeah, I'm looking at you Xbox).

Although to some people its obvious, the line between Open and Ranked is never distinguished. This happens a lot. I'm sorry to hear about all your wasted time. It would be nice if Trendy made the tiniest of effort to communicate to their players how their game works.

Yeah happened to me too. Played local for over a month then I realized ranked was completely separate

-type R blood-

Yeah, I made the same mistake when I started playing. Your options are to play online or play local, so, naturally, you think the only difference is that one is multiplayer and the other is single player. If you select the option to play online, there is a short message saying that achievements can only be earned on ranked, but nowhere does it tell you that your progress will not be transferred to that mode should you want to play it in the future.

Lucky for me, my friend wanted to play a game with me not too long after I got the game, so I caught the mistake early. But I've seen people complain because they didn't learn the difference until they had several characters level 70+, which is terrible. Trendy really should explain the difference. Flash a warning message the first time someone tries to join open/local.

BTW if anyone is looking for a solid, respectable player to join their team for some multiplayer, let me know.

Hey, if you just started a new character on ranked, add me. I'll start a new one with you.
http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/dziggy

Although to some people its obvious, the line between Open and Ranked is never distinguished. This happens a lot. I'm sorry to hear about all your wasted time. It would be nice if Trendy made the tiniest of effort to communicate to their players how their game works.

over 50% of "I have lost my characters Trendy" are because of this :)

Although, does not explain why, Joined one of my Steam buddies in a game yesterday, and my character's weapon was only hitting for like 20k...., was not my usual weapon, I had to go back to my OWN tavern, and then rejoin his game, and my usual weapon reappeared.

If you need powerleveling and some equipment, let me know (PM).

Glad to help, because you are going to need it.

Bright side, at least you can get powerleveled to 74 really fast on this game. Same with getting basic nightmare entry level loot. As long as you got some friend or at least one hero around that level of course :D

[QUOTE]Hey, if you just started a new character on ranked, add me. I'll start a new one with you.
http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/dziggy[/QUOTE]

Sounds great! I will look you up.

[QUOTE]If you need powerleveling and some equipment, let me know (PM).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer HKN but I am going to hammer it out. Maybe I'll see catch you on sometime when I get geared up. :)

Sounds great! I will look you up.

Thanks for the offer HKN but I am going to hammer it out. Maybe I'll see catch you on sometime when I get geared up. :)

I love the fresh starts too :P
Sometimes i wipe my open profile to do that, i love the feeling of power when you are a lowbie but you know how everything works.

Kinda happened to me as well when I started. I did "open" b/c I thought ranked was "ranked" play, as in leaderboards pvp etc etc. It does stink starting over need help let me know.

My Tower Countess is up to lvl 13! I am trucking right along.

[QUOTE]Kinda happened to me as well when I started. I did "open" b/c I thought ranked was "ranked" play, as in leaderboards pvp etc etc. It does stink starting over need help let me know. [/QUOTE]

beckett, I will check for you online. Maybe we can catch a game sometime.

This is a similar situation that many people have when jumping from console to PC. The same happened to me, after I'd spent ages on 360 and finally moved to Steam. My first thought was to select "Local," as that was the same thing you'd select on 360 when you wanted to play solo. I didn't realize, at the time, that Ranked mode is the only legit mode in the Steam version. If you want to play solo on there, the equivalent of Local on 360, you need to: sign in to Ranked mode, host a private match, and then pause and select "hide match" if you don't want folks on your FL to be able to join without notice.

Thankfully I caught it after playing my first stage or two, because I noticed that I wasn't unlocking the initial achievements (clearing the tutorial, reaching level 10, etc.) I knew something had to be up. I still wish that there was a pop-up or something when a player loads the game for the first time, explaining to them the difference between modes.

I leveled a few characters to 70 on Local before deciding to join some multiplayer games, only to find I had to do it all over again.

You are not alone. :)

I too assumed Local was for solo play and ranked for when you wanted to play with others, not that they were entirely separate.

The friend who introduced me to DD always plays open, so I play there with him. I would have switched to ranked (with him) if I had known it earlier, but I don't really want to loose all my gear and all the long hours I spent on survivals. I've earned it all playing solo and duo and without ever touching the hacked gear everyone seems to use on nearly every public game.
If I beat the final accomplishment (Crystalline Dimension NM) I might be tempted to try and do it again on ranked :P